Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 10:28   #16
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Thekkady : Route Queries

Some friends are planning a trip to Thekkady from Bangalore next month. What'll be the best route to reach Thekkady in terms of road conditions (prefer a longer route if road is good)? The plan is to stay at Periyar forest for 2 nights. Is there any other nearby places that can be visited within 2 nights stay? Also, can we add 2 more days to the trip and include Munnar?
Old 18th April 2015, 10:44   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Some friends are planning a trip to Thekkady from Bangalore next month. What'll be the best route to reach Thekkady in terms of road conditions (prefer a longer route if road is good)? The plan is to stay at Periyar forest for 2 nights. Is there any other nearby places that can be visited within 2 nights stay?
The standard Dindigul/Theni/Kumily route is the ideal for Thekkady.

Quote:
Also, can we add 2 more days to the trip and include Munnar?
Definitely possible. In fact I would suggest you to do that. You can make it to Munnar quite easily and add 2-3 days to the plan. And then return back via Udumalpet.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 10:52   #18
BHPian

Thanks a lot amp. Will you be kind enough to give g-maps direction from Blr to Thekkady , thekkady to Munnar and Munnar to Blr please ?
Old 18th April 2015, 12:42   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Thanks a lot amp. Will you be kind enough to give g-maps direction from Blr to Thekkady , thekkady to Munnar and Munnar to Blr please ?
Here is the route:

Here is the route:
Route Link

EDIT :

Thekaddy to Munnar : Periyar-Kattapana-Nedumkandam-Poppara-Munnar (Route Link)
(Good to confirm with others on this section)

Munnar-Bangalore : Munnar-Udumalpet-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore (Route Link)

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2015 at 12:59.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 12:34   #20
BHPian

Hello friends,
I will be travelling to Thekkady on April 22nd morning, with my family, from BTM layout Bangalore. I guess the only route option is Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, karur, Dindigul bypass, Vathalakundu, Theni, Kambam, thekkady.
Can you please help me on the following?

1. How is the road condition?
2 Does one have to drive through Theni, kambam etc, or are there by pass roads in these towns?
3. What are the breakfast options after Krishnagiri, considering I will leave BTM layout around 6:30 AM. I am not a A2B fan, and they are spread out like pest everywhere.

Thanks and Regards,
Narayan.

Last edited by iamnarayang : 7th April 2018 at 12:37.
Old 7th April 2018, 13:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
3. What are the breakfast options after Krishnagiri, considering I will leave BTM layout around 6:30 AM.
So that will have you between Krishnagiri and Salem between 8 and 10. Refer to this doc and choose your place:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets..._G_fPbtuLoxaM4

Rows 7-18 are between Krishnagiri and Salem on your route.

(Seems to be slightly outdated; I don't see the Sai Sangeet at Thoppur toll booth in there).
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 14:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,

1. How is the road condition?
2 Does one have to drive through Theni, kambam etc, or are there by pass roads in these towns?
3. What are the breakfast options after Krishnagiri, considering I will leave BTM layout around 6:30 AM. I am not a A2B fan, and they are spread out like pest everywhere.

Thanks and Regards,
Narayan.
I drove back from Thekkady to Bangalore in mid February.
The road conditions are excellent throughout 100%. Its very scenic too, but now being summer it may be dry and not that super green.
2) Vatlagundu and Theni has by-pass, but not Kambam. Kambam is a small town, so can easily pass through in 5 to 10 minutes.
3) Since you are planning to leave around 6.30, the best for you is to have breakfast either at Saravana Bhavan, which is on your left that comes immediately after you Take right towards Dharmapuri/Salem road around 7.30. Or even better option is Sai Sangeet at Thoppur which is about 60 to 65 kms from Krishnagiri and comes on to your right. You have to take U turn adjacent to IOC bunk and this is just about 1 km before Thoppur A2B.

For Lunch, you can either stop at Dindigul Thalappakatti Biryani if you are non-veg, which is on the by-pass itself, but below the flyover. Or if you can stretch longer, you can stop at Theni Western Ghatz or "Green Kitchen", both are good options.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 13:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,
I will be travelling to Thekkady on April 22nd morning, with my family, from BTM layout Bangalore. .
I am a little worried about my trip on 22nd, as the Cauvery agitation is gaining strength in TN, and they may not like my KA registered vehicle. Is there a way to avoid TN completely and drive through Kerala, to reach Club Mahindra Thekkady? I want to be prepared with a plan B (Route B), in case the agitations gather momentum. I hope my worries are unfounded.

Thanks & Regards,
Narayan.

Last edited by iamnarayang : 8th April 2018 at 13:55.
Old 8th April 2018, 16:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way to avoid TN completely and drive through Kerala, to reach Club Mahindra Thekkady? I want to be prepared with a plan B (Route B), in case the agitations gather momentum.
The only viable route to proceed to cenral and south Kerala from Bangalore without touching TN is Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery. This will be excruciatingly roundabout, with nearly 500 km in Kerala's notorious traffic. Add 250 km to reach Bathery from Bangalore in the first place; you are looking at about 250 km / 6 hours extra (assuming 500 km to Thekkady from Bangalore via the shortest route).

The second option is to enter KL via Gudalur-Nilambur. This has about 60 km that is in TN; but most of it is via sparsely populated and heavily protected forest area that it is rare to see political violence here. This I reckon will be totally about 650 km of which about 350 km will be in Kerala (extra: 3 hours).

Every other possible route has significant sections that go through TN.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:22   #25
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Thekkady : Route Queries

Planning for a trip to Thekkady mid june, starting 14th noon, staying at a small homestay for the day and checking into a good one(probably sterling or Mahindra or something nice) Next day.
Need to cover a temple in pathanamthitta on 15th morning as well. since I am travelling with kids, need your inputs on the plan below

Day1 - 14th noon - Start from KR puram at 1.30 PM on 14th, follow the route @iamnarayang followed - https://goo.gl/maps/BKQXnSR9ZPB2 and try to reach Thekkady by 10 PM that night, stay at a moderate hotel for that night

Day2 - 15th Morning/6 AM - Check out and Leave to Pathanamthitta - https://goo.gl/maps/n2i1kKxQEfF2 and come back to Thekkady same day.
Check into a resort for two days and come back sunday night
I will be using Kollam Theni road and I have no clue how these roads are.

15th and 16th - nightstay in Thekkady

Day 4 - 17th Morning - Check out around 10 AM and head to Bangalore.

Anything I should be way about ? the first day drive is what I am concerned about.

Appreciate your help
Kishore

Last edited by kishore1984 : 31st May 2018 at 13:24. Reason: too many spaces
Old 31st May 2018, 15:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
Day1 - 14th noon - Start from KR puram at 1.30 PM on 14th, follow the route @iamnarayang followed - https://goo.gl/maps/BKQXnSR9ZPB2 and try to reach Thekkady by 10 PM that night, stay at a moderate hotel for that night

Day2 - 15th Morning/6 AM - Check out and Leave to Pathanamthitta - https://goo.gl/maps/n2i1kKxQEfF2 and come back to Thekkady same day.

Anything I should be way about ? the first day drive is what I am concerned about.
Day-1 will take longer time for you and i don't think you can reach Thekkady by 10 PM if you start at 1.30 pm from Bangalore. Your speed will slow down beyond Dindigul and most of the 2L roads you will be covering after sunset. Including at least 2 breaks, budget for 10 to 11 hours of drive. So would recommend you to start around 10 am or 10.30 in the morning or even earlier instead of afternoon start, because you are travelling with family and kids.

Day-2, with a long drive previous night, starting 6 AM may be tiring, but remember Thekkady to Pattanamthitta roads are super curvy ghat roads and family / kids may be dizzy/uncomfortable. It can take easily 3 to 4 hours one way, so plan for temple visit accordingly based on temple open timings.
Frankly, even day-2 is a tiring day IMO.

As an alternate plan, if you can't really start from Bangalore earlier than 1.30, suggest you to break for night either in Dindigul or Theni on day-1 and plan for day-2 trip to Pattanamthitta based on temple open timings. That will help you to split the total journey into 2 equal parts, but second one being heavily in ghat roads either way.

Rest of the plan to stay back in Thekkady seems fine, but be aware of SW monsoon starting in Kerala and heavy rains that can interrupt/slow down your plans. If you are planning for Thekkady boat ride, i doubt we will have chances to see wildlife in rains!

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 16:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day1 - 14th noon - Start from KR puram at 1.30 PM on 14th and try to reach Thekkady by 10 PM that night, stay at a moderate hotel for that night
As ravi says, 8.5 hrs doesn't look possible, especially on the eve of a long weekend from KR Puram. Dindigul-Theni will see moderate traffic, and under lights the progress will be slow.

I'd suggest staying in Theni or Cumbum that night. Western Gatz in Theni has been my preferred stop when driving this side.

Theni-Kumili in daytime is an hour and half drive.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 10:52   #28
BHPian

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I have Decided to stay overnight in Theni or Cumbam and start to Pathanamthitta the next day.
During my drive to pathanamthitta, I have decided to checkin to - http://www.wisteriakuttikkanam.com/ OR mistyresort.com resorts en-route and then continue my journey towards Pathanamthitta

The only concern I now have is the weather/Rain. Anyone from Cumbam or around can help me get an idea how it would be ?
I see Jabbar international in Cumbam or Western gatz theni as viable options.

Appreciate your advise
kishore

Last edited by kishore1984 : 13th June 2018 at 10:53. Reason: spaces yo
Old 13th June 2018, 11:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only concern I now have is the weather/Rain.
Theni/Cumbum are never candidates for serious rains. Beyond Kumili into KL it will rain. Thekkady is getting them, so in case you are planning on the ferry ride, this can play spoilsport.
Old 6th August 2018, 15:31   #30
BHPian

Hello Friends!

I am planning to do a Bengaluru-Thekkady trip this September end. Was wondering whether it is advisable to travel to KL during this period. I am not a big fan of driving under downpour and would like to drive fuss free till Kumily.

Google map suggests this route, BLR-Krishnagiri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul-Theni-Kumbum (512 kms). Requesting valuable advice please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks