Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Trivandrum -> Srisailam Trip

Hello friends ,am planning to do a srisailam trip during onam holidays,I would be travelling from trivandrum and my first destination would be srisailam,from there i would travel to hyd.Pls suggest a list of places to be seen on this route and attractions in hyd also.My return journey will be via chennai so pls suggest the possible easiest route from hyderabad too.All help would be appreciated.
Old 30th July 2013, 15:11   #2
BHPian

re: Trivandrum -> Srisailam Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
Hello friends ,am planning to do a srisailam trip during onam holidays,I would be travelling from trivandrum and my first destination would be srisailam,from there i would travel to hyd.Pls suggest a list of places to be seen on this route and attractions in hyd also.My return journey will be via chennai so pls suggest the possible easiest route from hyderabad too.All help would be appreciated.
There are multiple routes you can take to srisailam from Trivandrum. I am giving you one of the options. Maybe Ampere or RanjithP can correct and add the best details.

1: Trivandrum - Madurai - Salem - Krishnagiri - Palmaner - Rayachoti - Kadapa - Nandyal - Atmakur - Dornala - Srisailam. Kadapa - Nandyal is getting widened and lots of constructions activities. Nandyal - Atmakur - Dornala is a state highway and I am not sure about the condition. Dornala - Srisailam is ghat section generally maintained well. Kadapa would be an ideal choice to break your journey as it has few decent hotels. After Nandyal absolutely very minimal facilities. If i remember correctly it took me about
4 -5 hours from srisailam to Nandyal when i travelled 2 years ago.

2: Trivandrum - Bangalore - Anantapur/Kurnool (Break for the day either at Anantapur or Kurnool) - Nandyal - Atmakur - Dornala - Srisailam. Kurnool - nandyal is also under construction/widening.

Return from hyderabad: Hyderabad - Vijayawada - Chennai. no other choice. Hyd - VJA is a beauty and VJA - Chennai is 4 laned currently under widening but not very bad. Budget for a 11 - 12 hour drive in a leisure way.

Hope this helps.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 15:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Pls suggest a list of places to be seen on this route and attractions in hyd also.
You could visit Ahobilam, Mahanandi, Belum Caves and Yaganti. They may require a little detour, but the first two are most recommended.

Quote:
My return journey will be via chennai so pls suggest the possible easiest route from hyderabad too.All help would be appreciated.
If you're planning to bypass VJA, Hyderabad-Macherla road is in decent condition but the remaining part until you touch NH5 could be suspect. Hyd-VJA-Chennai should be safe and fast, if not short.
vikred is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 23:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikred View Post
You could visit Ahobilam, Mahanandi, Belum Caves and Yaganti. They may require a little detour, but the first two are most recommended.

If you're planning to bypass VJA, Hyderabad-Macherla road is in decent condition but the remaining part until you touch NH5 could be suspect. Hyd-VJA-Chennai should be safe and fast, if not short.
Have heard that a visit to ahobilam is very tedious as there is a lot of climbing to do,pls throw some more light on this.
Old 31st July 2013, 10:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Have heard that a visit to ahobilam is very tedious as there is a lot of climbing to do,pls throw some more light on this.
There are around 9+ Narasimhas in Ahobilam and not all visitors visit all of them. One may need one full day (or 1.5 days) to do that. However, the main three temples you can drive to are set in forest fringes amidst hills and lot of greenery. They'd be enough.
Old 31st July 2013, 11:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be to do it in a slightly different way.
D1:TVM-Madurai-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore.
D2:BLR-Kurnool-Hyderabad

Stay in HYD as per your itinerary and do Srisailam as a day trip from Hyderabad.Reason why I suggest this is due to poor stay options at Srisailam.Poor is an understatement.Instead if you depart Hyd by 5-6am,carry breakfast and lunch,you would be at Srisailam latest by 10am.Temple darshan shouldnt take you more than 30mins-60mins(worst case).You can do the ropeway,patalganga visit,dam visit(the crest gates are open as of yesterday,but I doubt it would stay open till Onam time in Sep unless the rains have some other plans).You can start back from Srisailam by 3pm and you would be back conveniently at Hyd by 8-9pm.Avoid night driving in the forest sections.3nights at Hyderabad should be good enough to go around the city and see places of interest.There is another TBHPIAN "rknair" who did HYD-TVM-HYD in the recent past.He did HYD-Dindigul on day1 and day2 to tvm and on his return he did TVM-BLR on day1 and day2 to hyd.

From Hyd,I would suggest that you stick to HYD-VIJAYAWADA-GUNTUR-ONGOLE-NELLORE-CHENNAI route.You should be able to do this easily in about 10hrs.4laned all the way.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 14:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
My suggestion would be to do it in a slightly different way.
D1:TVM-Madurai-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore.
D2:BLR-Kurnool-Hyderabad

Stay in HYD as per your itinerary and do Srisailam as a day trip from Hyderabad.Reason why I suggest this is due to poor stay options at Srisailam.Poor is an understatement.Instead if you depart Hyd by 5-6am,carry breakfast and lunch,you would be at Srisailam latest by 10am.Temple darshan shouldnt take you more than 30mins-60mins(worst case).You can do the ropeway,patalganga visit,dam visit(the crest gates are open as of yesterday,but I doubt it would stay open till Onam time in Sep unless the rains have some other plans).You can start back from Srisailam by 3pm and you would be back conveniently at Hyd by 8-9pm.Avoid night driving in the forest sections.3nights at Hyderabad should be good enough to go around the city and see places of interest.There is another TBHPIAN "rknair" who did HYD-TVM-HYD in the recent past.He did HYD-Dindigul on day1 and day2 to tvm and on his return he did TVM-BLR on day1 and day2 to hyd.

From Hyd,I would suggest that you stick to HYD-VIJAYAWADA-GUNTUR-ONGOLE-NELLORE-CHENNAI route.You should be able to do this easily in about 10hrs.4laned all the way.
Ranjit instead of coming back from hyd to srisailam is there any other stopping point before srisailam so that i can rest there and visit srisailam next day.
Old 31st July 2013, 14:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ranjit instead of coming back from hyd to srisailam is there any other stopping point before srisailam so that i can rest there and visit srisailam next day.
The other way to do it is to drive TVM-Kurnool on day 1.You can stay at Hotel DVR Mansion which is the best in kurnool and is a new one.All the other hotels in Kurnool are not worth looking at.Next day you can drive Kurnool-Srisailam-Hyderabad by leaving kurnool early and reaching hyd by night.To do tvm-kurnool would be a long drive so plan accordingly.You can bypass bangalore by taking the attibele-devanahalli road(should take you an hour to bypass).Devanahalli-Kurnool is a 4-5hr drive.

www.dvrmansion.com
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Stay in HYD as per your itinerary and do Srisailam as a day trip from Hyderabad.Reason why I suggest this is due to poor stay options at Srisailam. Poor is an understatement...
For a night's stay to relax from a tiring journey, the haritha hotel is not too bad/shabby.

I recommend staying a night there, especially when this trip involves so much driving.
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:58   #10
BHPian

Re: Trivandrum -> Srisailam Trip

What is the distance from nandyal to srisailam?can anyone help
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Use google maps,it would help
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 23:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
There are multiple routes you can take to srisailam from Trivandrum. I am giving you one of the options. Maybe Ampere or RanjithP can correct and add the best details.

1: Trivandrum - Madurai - Salem - Krishnagiri - Palmaner - Rayachoti - Kadapa - Nandyal - Atmakur - Dornala - Srisailam. Kadapa - Nandyal is getting widened and lots of constructions activities. Nandyal - Atmakur - Dornala is a state highway and I am not sure about the condition. Dornala - Srisailam is ghat section generally maintained well. Kadapa would be an ideal choice to break your journey as it has few decent hotels. After Nandyal absolutely very minimal facilities. If i remember correctly it took me about
4 -5 hours from srisailam to Nandyal when i travelled 2 years ago.

2: Trivandrum - Bangalore - Anantapur/Kurnool (Break for the day either at Anantapur or Kurnool) - Nandyal - Atmakur - Dornala - Srisailam. Kurnool - nandyal is also under construction/widening.

Return from hyderabad: Hyderabad - Vijayawada - Chennai. no other choice. Hyd - VJA is a beauty and VJA - Chennai is 4 laned currently under widening but not very bad. Budget for a 11 - 12 hour drive in a leisure way.

Hope this helps.
Hello venki ,you had mentioned some hotels in kadapa but i didnt find anyone,can any one suggest a decent accomodation in kadapa?
Old 4th September 2013, 08:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think as Ranjit said you should take the Kurnool option. I am sure if you can drive 1000km. Because you get chaotic sections in between.

TVM-Nagarcoil
Krishnagiri-Bangalore.

- Go till Bangalore. See if you can push beyond, till Kurnool. If not plan to stay in Bangalore outskirts.

How to bypass Bangalore :

Hosur-Bagalur-Sarjapur-Hoskote-Devanahalli via NH207

Ref this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3174510
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 10:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hello venki ,you had mentioned some hotels in kadapa but i didnt find anyone,can any one suggest a decent accomodation in kadapa?
I could find many decent hotels in tripadvisor. http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...a_Pradesh.html.

I would suggest you to go for APTDC Haritha. They will be very decent and reasonable. Their details are: APTDC Haritha, Kadapa Ph: 08562-240533, 240192. you can even book online at www.aptdc.in.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks