Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2013, 14:34   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Planning an 11 day Karnataka trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
From Coorg you have to hit 206 to visit Jog.
(Coorg/Nagarhole are located and at almost similar geography)

So it should be Coorg-Hunsur-Hassan-Belur-Bannarva (206) - Shimoga - Jog.
Amp, does it make sense going to Jog in November?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
...SDP, where exactly are you staying in Coorg? This'd help us to suggest the best route (as you'd be aware Coorg is a region).

Prasad
Aditya recommended the following: http://coorgthenest.com/accommodation.html

I am going to try that one.
The site lists the following address:
The Nest ,
Sagar Estate,
Devarapura Post,
Gonicoppal, Kodagu,
Old 7th September 2013, 14:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Amp, does it make sense going to Jog in November?
@SDP

Thats also a good point. I thought you might be there very soon. Nov there would be hardly any water. In that case as Prasad said, you can do :

Gonikoppal-Madikeri-Suliya-Puttur-Bantwal-Mangalore-Udupi-Murdeshwar-Gokarna-Ankola-Hubli.

You can stay at Manipal/Udupi and visit the famous temple too.
Mangalore-Udupi-Murdeshwar is a busy section and conditions keep changing by the day. Check with @Samurai who spends quite some time in and around that location.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 19:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

I feel you are cramming too much in this trip. It would be good to spend more time at places you are staying and see them properly rather than rush from one place to another. It becomes even more difficult wit kids and parents. I would recommend the following. Also, you have way too many historical place in your agenda. Kids usually don't enjoy a lot of them.

Day 1: Drive to Badami
Day 2: Sightseeing in Badami/Aihole. Drive to Hampi
Day 3: Sight seeing in Hampi. Stay overnight in Hampi
Day 4: Drive to Mysore.
Day 5: Sight seeing in Mysore and Srirangapatna. Stay overnight in Mysore
Day 6: Drive to Kabini and Jungle Safari (better than Bandipur)
Day 7: Boat Safari and trekking, Drive to Chickmagalur
Day 9: Visit Belur and Halebid
Day 10: Drive via Agumbe to the coast and stay in Murudeshwara (not many good places to stay in Gokarna)
Day 11; Drive back to Mumbai
hondadude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 20:23   #19
Team-BHP Support

Its a good plan. Drive all the way to Mysore first from Hubli. On the way back relax at Chikkamagulur, visit Belur/Halebidu.
Old 7th September 2013, 21:46   #20
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I feel you are cramming too much in this trip. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its a good plan. Drive all the way to Mysore first from Hubli. On the way back relax at Chikkamagulur, visit Belur/Halebidu.
Thanks guys! Let me work out the next level of elaboration of the plan in terms of exact driving routes, kms travelled every day, time spent on driving and list of places to see. Hopefully a much clearer picture would emerge which would help us to tweak/redo the plan.

Thanks again. Let me do some homework about the details and get back.

Last edited by SDP : 7th September 2013 at 21:49.
Old 8th September 2013, 07:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

For someone travelling with two kids and two older people, hondadude's suggested itinerary makes a lot more sense. But I *still* think you are cramming way too much into your plan. What you will end up doing is one of those ITDC-style "state darshan" trips. You will just tick off each place you see and not really experience any of them.

Your singe trip can actually be broken up into several trips of 3-4 days each:

#1. Badami/Aihole/Pattadakal/Hampi/Hospet

#2.Chikmagalur/Kemmanagundi/ Kudremukh/ Belur/ Halebeedu/ Sharavanabelagola

#3. Mysore/ Srirangapatna/Kabini/ Bandipur/ Madhumalai/Ooty/Conoor

#4. Coorg

#5. Jog Falls/Murudeshwara/Gokarna etc. (North Kanara beach trail)

#6. Mangalore/Udupi/Kundapura etc. (South Kanara beach trail)

I have done most of these as long-weekend drives from Bangalore when I was living there. Even when it was just us young people (me, my wife and occasionally my BIL) it was difficult: add kids/older people into the mix and it takes on a new dimension. Factor in a break every 3-4 hours, which will slow you down considerably. For family you will also need to be more choosy about where to spend the night. My honest opinion is that you need to reduce the number of places you want to see by half, then plan 2 trips instead of one!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 09:29   #22
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
For someone travelling with two kids and two older people, hondadude's suggested itinerary makes a lot more sense. But I *still* think you are cramming way too much into your plan. What you will end up doing is one of those ITDC-style "state darshan" trips. You will just tick off each place you see and not really experience any of them.
Thanks Anoop! Even I do believe that in the enthusiasm of doing a new state, I am getting carried away and cramming too many things in the plan. Have expressed that doubt in the opening post. I believe the tendancy is also due to the fact that the nuclear family would get many more chances to visit Karnataka, but the same can not be said about my parents.

Being based out of Mumbai, I would most likely trim something on the north Karnataka side (possibly Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal), which can possibly be done later as a separate 4 days trip (some long-weekend may be).

I am also not very keen on the beach-circuit. So might drop Murudeshwara and Gokarna as well from this trip. From what I have heard, the road conditions and traffic situation on the western side is also not very encouraging.

Might let go Coorg as well, but would hate to do it.

Places towards Kerala border (the sanctuaries mostly) could also be clubbed with an independent Kerala trip (in some distant future) and would possibly provide good break-journey points.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by SDP : 8th September 2013 at 09:31.
Old 8th September 2013, 20:44   #23
Team-BHP Support

May be shave off the wild life sanctuary part. So you still get to do 3-4 days for Badami/Aihole/Pattadakal/Hampi. That can be followed by 3-4 of Chikkamagulur which can include Belur/Helebidu. Do note climbing Shravanabelagola can be difficult for your parents. But you do get "palkis". Roads around that region are a belter! So no worries on that part. Crossing Hassan is a bit pain thats it.

Maybe keep Mysore Ooty for another trip.

Last edited by ampere : 8th September 2013 at 20:46.
Old 8th September 2013, 21:49   #24
BHPian

Just back from Chennai via Hognekal Falls, Bangalore, Jog & Gokak. I have also done the entire costal trip from Pune to Madekeri & back in 2008 in a Santro. So based on these 2 experiences my advise will be as follows:-

1. No water in Jog & Gokak now. So it will be non-existant during Diwali
(which is late this year!).
2. On 4 lane highways you can drive at 90-110 kmph comfortably, giving an average speed of 60-70. (use 60 for calculating times though.). From Pune to Satara there are lots of diversions so budget for 30-40% extra time during this stretch. Lots of traffic till Kolhapur. Road is empty after that. Of course you need a powerful car to cruise comfortably.

3. Internal state highways in Karnataka are in good shape, but count on getting average speeds of 40-50 only as they are mostly 2 lane. ( you can cruise @90-110 on empty stretches but only for some stretches.). NH17 was a terror when I went there last & I do not think it has improved.

4. On the costal & mountain areas average speeds can drop sharply at times - depends on the stretches. Also the routes are so scenic that it would be a crime to blast through. Be mentally prepared to stop frequently, take photos & take in the scene scenery.

5. I feel that you should drop Badami & Hampi. That can be a seperate trip from Mumbai with Bijapur thrown in.

6. From Mumbai drive down to Sirsi - via Hubli, Yellapur. (Yellapur to sirsi is a fantastic drive.). Next day drive from Sirsi to chikmagalur via Jog. (There is a Lion & Tiger safari near Shimoga-if you can manage the time!).
Chikmagalur can be a 2 day halt, particularly if you stay in one of the Coffee estates. Then leave early, visit Belur & Halebidu (3-4 hrs at each is a minimum. hiring a guide is a must.) & then go on to Mysore. From Mysore you can go to Coorg. It will be a short drive, so on the way you can visit Dubare Elephant camp & Tibetan Monastry. Madekeri is good for relaxing for a couple of days. From Madekeri you can drive down to Udipi or Murdeshwar for a halt. Then drive up the Kali river valley to Yellapur or Hubli. Final drive down to Mumbai.

The program given above will be more relaxed & will let you cover all the major points.

Let me know one you finalise. Will share hotels info & other tips.

p.s. which car are you planning to use?
Old 8th September 2013, 22:28   #25
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
p.s. which car are you planning to use?
Would be in my highway-cruiser - the XUV5OO!

Thanks for the help Shridhar! Let me mull over the various inputs and work on streamlining the plan. Would reach out to you for hotels and routes.
Old 8th September 2013, 23:09   #26
BHPian

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but Nagarhole is currently closed to the public in terms of wildlife safaris due to rains and to allow the tigers to 'do it like tigers'

Do factor this in !

Last edited by MavericK46 : 8th September 2013 at 23:12. Reason: Typographicak errours
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 08:12   #27
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. No water in Jog & Gokak now. So it will be non-existant during Diwali
(which is late this year!).
Are you sure about there being no water in Jog ?
I know folks who traveled couple weeks ago and found the place to be full of water!
And this year, due to the extremely good rains we've had I think the place will have enough water during Diwali as well.
Old 9th September 2013, 08:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I know folks who traveled couple weeks ago and found the place to be full of water!
And this year, due to the extremely good rains we've had I think the place will have enough water during Diwali as well.
Was in Jog falls on Friday 6th. Sept 2013. There was a pathetic trickle(compared to what I had seen in 2008 Diwali). Trick is to go on Sundays as they release some water from the dam for the benefit of tourists.!!
Old 9th September 2013, 09:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quote:
Was in Jog falls on Friday 6th. Sept 2013. There was a pathetic trickle(compared to what I had seen in 2008 Diwali). Trick is to go on Sundays as they release some water from the dam for the benefit of tourists.!!

Very much possible!

Check Denver's snap. He went I think Mid of August. Look at his Jog snaps.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-ertiga.html

Aug situation can keep changing depending when they release water. But Nov, surely there would hardly any water release, once the monsoons near their end point.
Old 9th October 2013, 16:33   #30
BHPian

Re: Planning an 11 day Karnataka trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Thanks guys! Let me work out the next level of elaboration of the plan in terms of exact driving routes, kms travelled every day, time spent on driving and list of places to see. Hopefully a much clearer picture would emerge which would help us to tweak/redo the plan.

Thanks again. Let me do some homework about the details and get back.
Sorry SDP, saw this thread only now! Have you finalised and made bookings, etc?

Most Viewed