Team-BHP - Planning an 11 day Karnataka trip
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Planning an 11 day Karnataka trip (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/141234-planning-11-day-karnataka-trip.html)

Hi everyone,

This Diwali vacation, I am planning to visit Karnataka state for 11 days with wife, kids (6 & 9 yrs) and parents (73 & 66 yrs)

Dates: Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 till saturday 16th Nov 2013.

This would be our first trip to Karnataka and therefore would focus on 'highlights' rather than 'hidden gems'.
Did a little bit of research and here's the tentative plan that I came up with.

Mumbai -> Belgaum -> Badami -> Hampi -> Hasaan -> Mysore -> Bandipur-> Coorg -> Murudeshwara -> Gokarna -> Hubli -> Mumbai

Day 1 (Wed 6-Nov): Start from Mumbai and head towards Belgaum using NH4. Stay at Badami.

Day 2 (Thu 7-Nov): Badami sightseeing. Drive to Hampi. Stay at Hospet.

Day 3 (Fri 8-Nov): Hampi sightseeing. Stay at Hospet.

Day 4 (Sat 9-Nov): Drive to Hasan. Stay at Hasan

Day 5 (Sun 10-Nov): Sightseeing Belur, Halebeedu. Stay at Hasan.

Day 6 (Mon 11-Nov): Sightseeing Sharavanabelagola. Drive to Mysore. Stay at Mysore

Day 7 (Tue 12-Nov): Sightseeing Mysore. Drive to Bandipur. Stay at Bandipur.

Day 8 (Wed 13-Nov): Safari Bandipur. Drive to coorg. Stay at Coorg.

Day 9 (Thu 14-Nov): Sightseeing Coorg.

Day 10 (Fri 15-Nov): Drive to Murudeshwara and then to Gokarna. Stay at Gokarna.

Day 11 (Sat 16-Nov): Drive to Hubli -> Belgaum -> Pune -> Mumbai.

I think I am cramming too many things in the plan and going to spend a lot of time just driving. Please help improving the plan.

Regards
SDP

PS: Thanks ampere for the initial help in planning. Have taken your advice and knocked off Banaglore from the plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 3229091)

No Hassan. Stay at Chikkamagulur at a nice homestay! :) You can cover both Belur and Haleibidu, drive to see Shravanabelagola and continue from there to Mysore. I think it can be done a day.

In other words, start in the morning from Chikkamagulur. Visit Belur and Helibedu and the continue to Shravanabelagola. Once done dont come back. Drive to Mysore by evening.

Route Link

This link has hidden gems too ! "Melkote", Tonnur Lake.

It also goes via Srirangapatna. It is 22km from Mysore and is an amazing place to visit. But you need another day for it. (Part of your Mysore sightseeing)

I would like to suggest this homestay at Coorg. Excellent place, clean rooms, and delicious food. Brilliant hospitality from the owners of the place and they will take personal care of you and your family.

I'm yet to find another homestay that matches up to this one, in terms of a homely experience, great food and ambiance.:thumbs up

I've been here twice, once with family and another time with my riding buddies (see my ninja ownership thread for pics from this trip).

Do book in advance as they get completely booked for the weekends and long holidays.

At Chikmagalur, do stay at the Eagle Eye Resort. The Blore Team BHP members and I stayed here last year in feb and we had a blast. Here is a link to the thread.

Enjoy yourself :)

+1 to Ampere's suggestion on not staying at Hassan.

The only concern I had in the plan is on Day 10 (Coorg-Murudeshwara-Gokarana).
Parts of Madikeri-Mangalore and a good part of NH17 has been
reported as tough to drive. I propose an alternative:

Hosapete-Mysore-Bandipura-Coorg-Chickmagalur-Jog-Murudeshwara-Gokarna (link).

This way, you'd avoid NH17 and as a bonus you'd get to go via Jog
Falls (But miss Maravanthe). Also the Jog-Bhatkala route is less
traveled but reported to be good by a BHPian in last Nov.

If you can skip Murudeshwara, you could continue on the NH to Honnavara (and if you
really keen on Murudeshwara's BIG Shiva, you could back track from Honnavara). If you are
going there for the beach, Honnavara beach is equally good.

Please see whether you can accommodate for Yana (off Kumta on NH17).
You asked us to simplify, but I seem to be cramming more!

Prasad

Quote:

Originally Posted by prasad14 (Post 3229222)
Prasad

For the Bandipur-Coorg route, don't take the Sargur-HD Kote route. I tried that 15 days ago and it's horrible. Go straight back to Mysore and head to Madikeri. That route is quite good.

Madikeri - Mangalore road is apprently bad. The road was cut off for about 500 mts as reported last month Not sure if thats fixed. Best way to go to Mangalore would be via Hasan Sakleshpur and Shiradi. Shiradi would be bad for about 20-25 kms.
How about you do Mysore - Bandipur first, then coorg, then drive down to Hasan. Finish site seeing, then on to Mangalore and upwards.

Quote:

Day 6 (Mon 11-Nov): Sightseeing Sharavanabelagola. Drive to Mysore. Stay at Mysore

Great plan Sanjay, all the very best.

I think its much easier to do Shravanbelgola, Halebeedu and Belur in one day. The only care you should take is to be in Shravanbelgola at the early hour. Climbing two hills to see those temples and gomatesha statue will be more labour intensive to your parents. Early hour climb will give you greater joy and fresh air that you will love! Although there is a "doli" arrangement, your kids and you will have to do be fast and drive after that. You may want to consider staying at shravanbelgola itself or very close to shravanbelgola.

But this is like traversing in reverse direction - so see if you can make evening climb in shravanbelgola. You need to plan for taking some rest on the day after or that night due to the climbs that will leave you tired.

You could actually stay anywhere closer to Belur in a Homestay as Ampere suggests. For approaching Home stays in Chikmagalur, you will need to go past the town to reach them. Instead, there are many homestays on Belur-Mudigere section (35 km stretch where coffee estates start from 6 kms after Belur) that offer picturesque surroundings of Malenadu region. Apart from that, the Belur-Mudigere road itself is a scenic one to drive compared to Belur-Chikmagalur.

Next morning you can actually cover Belur followed By Halebidu and then head to Shravanabelagola and finally reach Mysore by late evening. It is easily doable.

EDIT: When in Belur and Halebidu, I strongly advise you to hire a Guide and you will know a lot of history behind these marvelous Hoysala sculptures !

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3229122)
No Hassan. Stay at Chikkamagulur at a nice homestay! :) You can cover both Belur and Haleibidu, drive to see Shravanabelagola and continue from there to Mysore. I think it can be done a day.

In other words, start in the morning from Chikkamagulur. Visit Belur and Helibedu and the continue to Shravanabelagola. Once done dont come back. Drive to Mysore by evening.
This link has hidden gems too ! "Melkote", Tonnur Lake.

It also goes via Srirangapatna. It is 22km from Mysore and is an amazing place to visit. But you need another day for it. (Part of your Mysore sightseeing)

Thanks amp! Changed the plan accordingly. Please have a look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 3229174)
I would like to suggest this homestay at Coorg. ...

At Chikmagalur, do stay at the Eagle Eye Resort. ...

Thanks Aditya for the stay recommendations! Would try to book both the places, hopefully before 15th Sep!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prasad14 (Post 3229222)

Thanks Prasad for the helpful route tip. Made a note!

Quote:

Originally Posted by saisrujan (Post 3229425)
For the Bandipur-Coorg route, don't take the Sargur-HD Kote route. I tried that 15 days ago and it's horrible. Go straight back to Mysore and head to Madikeri. That route is quite good.

Thanks saisrujan for the useful insight! Made a note!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoombiee (Post 3229547)
Madikeri - Mangalore road is apprently bad. The road was cut off for about 500 mts as reported last month Not sure if thats fixed. Best way to go to Mangalore would be via Hasan Sakleshpur and Shiradi. Shiradi would be bad for about 20-25 kms.
How about you do Mysore - Bandipur first, then coorg, then drive down to Hasan. Finish site seeing, then on to Mangalore and upwards.

Hampi/Hospet to Mysore would be a long driving stretch (almost 475kms).
Let's see. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abirnale (Post 3229564)
I think its much easier to do Shravanbelgola, Halebeedu and Belur in one day. ...

Thanks abirnale! Moved base from Hasan to Chikmaglaur. Would attempt Shravanbelgola, Halebeedu and Belur in a single day. Updated the plan accordingly. Would definitely opt for the doli for the parents. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 3229602)
You could actually stay anywhere closer to Belur in a Homestay as Ampere suggests. ...

Next morning you can actually cover Belur followed By Halebidu and then head to Shravanabelagola and finally reach Mysore by late evening. It is easily doable.

EDIT: When in Belur and Halebidu, I strongly advise you to hire a Guide and you will know a lot of history behind these marvelous Hoysala sculptures !

Thanks Parag! Updated the plan accordingly. Also noted the hiring-the-guide tip. Really helpful!

Thanks everybody! :thumbs up

================================================== =======

Here's the updated plan:

Mumbai -> Belgaum -> Badami -> Hampi -> Chikmagalur -> Mysore -> Bandipur -> Coorg -> Gokarna -> Hubli -> Mumbai

Day 1 (Wed 6-Nov): Start from Mumbai and head towards Belgaum using NH4. Stay at Badami.

Day 2 (Thu 7-Nov): Badami sightseeing. Possibly Aihole and Pattadakal. Drive to Hampi. Stay at Hospet.

Day 3 (Fri 8-Nov): Hampi sightseeing. Stay at Hospet.

Day 4 (Sat 9-Nov): Drive to Chikmagalur. Stay at Chikmagalur (Eagle Eye resort)

Day 5 (Sun 10-Nov): Sightseeing Belur, Halebeedu. Sharavanabelagola. Drive to Mysore. Stay at Mysore

Day 6 (Mon 11-Nov): Rest for half day. Mysore sightseeing post lunch. Stay at Mysore

Day 7 (Tue 12-Nov): More Mysore city sightseeing. Drive to Shrirangapatna OR SomnathPur. Drive to Bandipur. Stay at Bandipur.

Day 8 (Wed 13-Nov): Safari Bandipur. Drive to Coorg (Thru Mysore). Stay at Coorg (The Nest).

Day 9 (Thu 14-Nov): Sightseeing Coorg and Rest before the long return journey. Stay at Coorg (The Nest).

Day 10 (Fri 15-Nov): Drive to Jog Falls -> Murudeshwara -> Gokarna. Stay at Gokarna.

Day 11 (Sat 16-Nov): Drive to Hubli -> Belgaum -> Pune -> Mumbai.

Quick question -> Bandipur Or Nagarhole? If you have to pick one, which one would you choose?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 3230715)
Bandipur Or Nagarhole? If you have to pick one, which one would you choose?

I would say Nagarhole. Simply because, it reduces your drive distance on the way back. You can schedule Bandipur later, whenever you drive to Ooty.

Nagarhole-Hunsur-Belur-Bannavar (You hit 206)-Kadur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar (You hit Nh17).
Or you can also retrace to 206. Hassan-Belur-CKM-Kadur

Honnavar-Murdeshwar-Honnavar-Gokarna-Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3230724)
I would say Nagarhole. Simply because, it reduces your drive distance on the way back. You can schedule Bandipur later, whenever you drive to Ooty.

Exactly what I was thinking! Thanks!
Hope both are equally fantastic sanctuaries.

Quote:

Nagarhole-Hunsur-Belur-Bannavar (You hit 206)-Kadur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar (You hit Nh17).
Or you can also retrace to 206. Hassan-Belur-CKM-Kadur

Honnavar-Murdeshwar-Honnavar-Gokarna-Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli.
Umm...not sure I understand this. After Nagarhole I am doing Coorg.

Quote:

Hi everyone,

This Diwali vacation, I am planning to visit Karnataka state for 11 days with wife, kids (6 & 9 yrs) and parents (73 & 66 yrs)

Dates: Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 till saturday 16th Nov 2013.

This would be our first trip to Karnataka and therefore would focus on 'highlights' rather than 'hidden gems'.

Not the exact same route but did something similar in 2010.

may be my thread might be able to help you a bit.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-4000-kms.html

Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 3230733)
Umm...not sure I understand this. After Nagarhole I am doing Coorg.

From Coorg you have to hit 206 to visit Jog.
(Coorg/Nagarhole are located and at almost similar geography)

So it should be Coorg-Hunsur-Hassan-Belur-Bannarva (206) - Shimoga - Jog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3230737)

So it should be Coorg-Hunsur-Hassan-Belur-Bannarva (206) - Shimoga - Jog.

Isn't this a little circuitous? Is it because of not so good roads b/w Madikeri and Sakleshpura and then to Belur?

SDP, where exactly are you staying in Coorg? This'd help us to suggest the best route (as you'd be aware Coorg is a region).

Prasad

Quote:

Originally Posted by prasad14 (Post 3230801)
Isn't this a little circuitous? Is it because of not so good roads b/w Madikeri and Sakleshpura and then to Belur?

Thats because I think he said he wants to visit Jog on the way. Thats why I suggested it that. Roads not being good around Shiradi/Charmadi also dont help.