Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 11:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad / Vijayawada to Sabarimala - Route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
If you start around 12 PM from Ongole, you should comfortably reach Trichy by about 12 AM with enough breaks.

If you are planning to halt at Trichy I suggest you aim to reach Trichy around 10 PM so that you can leave around 6 AM in the morning. A better idea is to drive upto Kumili, park your car at Kumili and take a jeep from there to Pampa. We paid around 2500 for a two way trip when we took the jeep. It is less tiresome driving through the ghat road and also faster as well.
Srikanth, the jeep from Kumily is a new and good idea. I will sure want to try it.

As far as starting at Ongole is concerned, as I have already given my schedule in the earlier posts, one of my cousins will join me in Ongole. He will be reaching there by train and hence there is no way I can start before 2:30 pm from Ongole. So, from your advise, it seems that I cannot plan night halt at Ongole since I may not reach there by mid-night. If we drive non-stop and reach Trichy, then I will halt at Trichy. Otherwise I have to plan a stop at Ulundurpet or even before at Villupuram.

- Sai
Old 27th September 2013, 22:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
If you are reaching on a Sunday evening, it would not be much of an issue. If you start around 12 PM from Ongole, you should comfortably reach Trichy by about 12 AM with enough breaks.

If you are planning to halt at Trichy I suggest you aim to reach Trichy around 10 PM so that you can leave around 6 AM in the morning. A better idea is to drive upto Kumili, park your car at Kumili and take a jeep from there to Pampa. We paid around 2500 for a two way trip when we took the jeep. It is less tiresome driving through the ghat road and also faster as well.
Srikanth, as I have narrated in my previous posts, I have to pick up my cousin at Ongole, who will be reaching there by train. So there is no way that I can start before 14:30 hrs from Ongole. Hence now I am worried whether I will be able to reach Trichy at all or whether to break the journey some where ealrier, by 10 PM.

The Jeep from Kumily is a new idea and I have to think about that option. Ofcourse, since there will be two of us who will be driving, tiredness is not a problem but definitely having a jeep with professional drivers will be better.

Thanks for the info.

- Sai

Mods : Sorry for this repeat post. At the end of page 1 when I could not find my earlier post, I thought that post has not gone through and got confused, missing that there was another page.

Last edited by Vihari : 27th September 2013 at 22:45.
Old 28th September 2013, 16:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you that hiring a vehicle is less tiresome but the real thrill of driving through the ghats is lost. The love for drive is what makes one go all the way in a self driven vehicle.

On the lighter note, it is even better to board Sabari Express in Hyderabad/ Secunderabad, which goes through Ongole, alight at Chengannur and hire a vehicle for return trip.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:12   #19
BHPian

Unless you have no choice, self driving to Sabarimala is not advisable particularly in Nov/Dec/Jan. There will be restrictions on parking. Unless you are extremely fit, the trek is tiring and driving back immediately will be difficult.

If you want to drive, the best option will be a hired vehicle from Kumily.
Old 30th September 2013, 20:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
Srikanth, as I have narrated in my previous posts, I have to pick up my cousin at Ongole, who will be reaching there by train. So there is no way that I can start before 14:30 hrs from Ongole. Hence now I am worried whether I will be able to reach Trichy at all or whether to break the journey some where ealrier, by 10 PM.

The Jeep from Kumily is a new idea and I have to think about that option. Ofcourse, since there will be two of us who will be driving, tiredness is not a problem but definitely having a jeep with professional drivers will be better.

Thanks for the info.

- Sai
Hi Sai, In case you are opting to take a jeep from Kumily I suggest you break around Ulundurpet or may be Thozhudur. There is a hotel called Dharan Karthick Residency on the highway itself at Thozhudur the numbers are 04143 258221 or 258220. It should take you about 4 hours from the time you enter Chennai Byepass. It has both AC & Non AC rooms, I paid about Rs.500 for a Non AC double room.

You could start early and reach Kumily in around 6 hours from the above hotel. Taking the jeep would allow you take some rest on the way to Pampa.

The phone number of the jeep driver we used in Kumily is 9446842825 his name is Arun.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 30th September 2013 at 20:09. Reason: Information Added
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 20:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I agree with you that hiring a vehicle is less tiresome but the real thrill of driving through the ghats is lost. The love for drive is what makes one go all the way in a self driven vehicle.
Yes simplyself, you are right in saying that the thrill of driving will be missed. The driving experience on the hills / ghats can not be compared to the driving on normal roads / highways. But Srikanth and Raju are advising to take jeep from Kumily in a different context and that will be an option for me, if needed.

Quote:
Hi Sai, In case you are opting to take a jeep from Kumily I suggest you break around Ulundurpet or may be Thozhudur. There is a hotel called Dharan Karthick Residency on the highway itself at Thozhudur the numbers are 04143 258221 or 258220. It should take you about 4 hours from the time you enter Chennai Byepass. It has both AC & Non AC rooms, I paid about Rs.500 for a Non AC double room.

You could start early and reach Kumily in around 6 hours from the above hotel. Taking the jeep would allow you take some rest on the way to Pampa.

The phone number of the jeep driver we used in Kumily is 9446842825 his name is Arun.
Thank you Srikanth for the Info on the hotel and jeep. Noted down the numbers. Now, if I opt to go all the way to Pampa in my car, then I think it will be another 2 and 1/2 hours from Kumily to Pampa. Right?

- Sai
Old 1st October 2013, 11:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Srikanth for the Info on the hotel and jeep. Noted down the numbers. Now, if I opt to go all the way to Pampa in my car, then I think it will be another 2 and 1/2 hours from Kumily to Pampa. Right?

- Sai
During non season times for outsiders it would take about 3 and 1/2 hours from Kumily to Pampa, during season time expect it to be a minimum of 4 hours with traffic.
Old 11th November 2013, 22:44   #23
BHPian

Hi friends. I have changed my route. Now going to Sabari, from Hyderabad via Bangalore-Salem. Starting on 16th morning at 8:30 AM. will update the road conditions etc.
Old 11th November 2013, 22:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
Sai, Option 2 would be a better choice. But if your cousin can join you at Hyd, then you could take the NH7 to Dindigul which would be the best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Option 1 is better.

How are you palnning to return?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Agree with @simplyself. Would be planning a halt at Dindigul.
Quote:
The only and best option for you is to take Route 1,
Friends, thank you all for trying to help me out. I have finalised my route with a change - my cousin is joining me at Hyderabad and hence we are going from Hyd to Pamba via Bangalore and Salem.

Starting on 16th November – Hyderabad-Bangalore-Salem-Palani-Pamba-Tirupparan Kundram-Madurai-Pazhamudhir Cholai-Tanjavur-Swamimalai-Tiruvannamalai-Tiruttani-Tirupati-Hyderabad.

3000 Kms and 6 nights 7 days

Will update the road nd route conditions after return. BTW, Diesel Don will be most probably, leading me by a few hours to Pamba, on the same route, on 16th till Dindigul.

Thank you once again,

- Sai
Old 16th November 2013, 19:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Starting on 16th November – Hyderabad-Bangalore-Salem-Palani-Pamba-Tirupparan Kundram-Madurai-Pazhamudhir Cholai-Tanjavur-Swamimalai-Tiruvannamalai-Tiruttani-Tirupati-Hyderabad.

- Sai
Why have you missed out on Tiruchendur & Palani. You could actually do Pampa - Pathanamthitta - Punalur - Sengottai - Tirunelveli - Tiruchendur - Thoothukudi - Tiruparangakundram - Pazhamudir Cholai - Palani - Dindigul - Trichy - Thanjavur - Swamimalai and then continue with your existing plan. This way along with Sabarimala you would cover the entire Arupadai Veedu circuit of Lord Muruga. May be you will have to squeeze a possible extra day.

http://goo.gl/maps/QFZ0g

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 16th November 2013 at 19:17. Reason: Extra details added
Old 25th November 2013, 13:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Why have you missed out on Tiruchendur
Dear Srikanth. I completed my Sabari trip from 16th Nov to 22nd Nov. While going, we could reach Bangalore only at 7 pm, due to a late start - behind schedule at 9:45 AM and due to rain. Since it was raining continuously, and with reports that the rains were also heavy at Salem, we took a break of journey at Bangalore and hence we have to cancel our Palani program.

While returning, on 18th, we started at Pamba at 11:30 AM and actually thought of going to Tiruchendur but did not. Went back to Madurai.

However we had good darshans at Madurai, Tirupparankundram, Pazhamudirsolai, Azhagir Kovil, Srirangam, Swami malai, Kancheepuram, Tiruttani and finally tirupati. Total Trip was for 2661 Kms.

this was my first long trip and happy to do all sorts of driving, long drive, Ghat sections drive, night drive.

Once again I thank all who have helped me.

-Sai
Vihari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 22:50   #27
BHPian

Hyderabad -> Vijayawada Route Condition

I've only done Hyderabad-> Vijayawada only once in my life in early 2012 by car, en route to Rajahmundry and it was a total nightmare back then. Roads without shoulders or with huge drops (due to construction), single lane roads, and plenty of diversions.

I now hear that the road is complete, but after that experience I just want to find out from "sane" drivers (you, dear forum friends) if the highway is complete, and safe.

The trip will be by bike, if I plan to go ahead with it, so all the more concerned with safety. Also, will bikers have to pay toll?

Thanks a lot!
Old 7th April 2014, 23:01   #28
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyderabad -> Vijayawada Route Condition

I last drove down on this route in December 2013.

Excellent road with just one small patch near Vijayawada where you have undivided carriageway.

I am not sure about toll charges for bikes but I think its highly unlikely.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 23:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Excellent road with just one small patch near Vijayawada where you have undivided carriageway.

I am not sure about toll charges for bikes but I think its highly unlikely.
There are two towns you need to pass through viz., Nandigama and Kanchikacharla which have undivided carriageway. While going towards Vijayawada these two towns do not have a bypass and crossing these two towns will be a nightmare. But when you travel towards Hyderabad you can take the ONE WAY bypass.

I haven't seen any toll charges for bikes on the toll boards.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 05:35   #30
BHPian

I have just done this route a few weeks back and the road is in excellent condition.The road matches the specs of the ORR in Hyderabad so that drive will be an absolute pleasure.
Toll as mentioned by JoseVijay & bblost I too do not recollect seeing an fee for 2 wheelers however for 4 wheelers its pretty high.

cheers,
pdma
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks