Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2013, 22:20   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad / Vijayawada to Sabarimala - Route query

Going to Sabarimala from Hyderabad / Vizag. I will be Starting from Hyd at 8 am in my Ritz, on 17.11.2013. My cousin Prasad will come from Vizag and plans to join either at Vijayawada or Ongole.

Now the question is : From Ongole to Sabarimala, Google shows two routes - from naidupeta to dindigul there are two routes suggested.

Which route is BETTER -

1. Naidupeta - Sullurpeta - Chennai - Tambaram - Chengalpattu - Thindivanam - Villupuram - Perambur - Tiruchirapalli - Dindigul;

or

2. Naidupeta - Srikalahasthi - Tirupati - Chittoor - Vellore - Ambur - Vaniyambadi - Krsihnagiri - Dharmapuri - Velur - Karur - Dindigul.

We will be starting from Ongole at around 2:30 PM. So where to plan night halt in both the routes?

Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

- Sai
Old 14th September 2013, 12:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad / Vijayawada to Sabarimala - Route query

Sai, Option 2 would be a better choice. But if your cousin can join you at Hyd, then you could take the NH7 to Dindigul which would be the best option.
Old 14th September 2013, 12:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
Sai, Option 2 would be a better choice. But if your cousin can join you at Hyd, then you could take the NH7 to Dindigul which would be the best option.
Thank you Srimath for the response.

Yes from Hyd to sabari via bangalore would be the best option but since my cousin will also be in Ayyappa deeksha, he has to wear Irumudi and come from Vizag. So thought of picking him up at Vijayawada or Ongole.

As per others advice, they are suggesting to take the Route 1 and their reasoning is that that route 1 is 4 lane and well surfaced. As I have never traveled on any of the routes, I have no idea.

The Route 2 is a bit longer and as per google 45 Kms more and 1 hour more, but I know sometimes more distance may entail less time due to good road conditions. So, any specific reason for me to take route 2, srimath?

- Sai
Old 14th September 2013, 13:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post

As per others advice, they are suggesting to take the Route 1 and their reasoning is that that route 1 is 4 lane and well surfaced. As I have never traveled on any of the routes, I have no idea.

The Route 2 is a bit longer and as per google 45 Kms more and 1 hour more, but I know sometimes more distance may entail less time due to good road conditions. So, any specific reason for me to take route 2, srimath?

- Sai
+1. In route 2, starting from Ranipet toll plaza till Krishnagiri junction, you may have to negotiate a lot of diversions on account of ongoing road expansion work and under construction bridges. Coupled with that you may also have to negotiate MARS CRATERS on this NH between Sriperambadur and Arcot. Good to avoid during night. By the way, are you taking vandiperiyar path or regular erumeli route? All the best for a good darshan
Old 14th September 2013, 20:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
By the way, are you taking vandiperiyar path or regular erumeli route? All the best for a good darshan
Thank you very much for the input, Gopal.

Regarding the above route, I really do not have any idea since I am going to drive for the first time in my life.
Actually, we have to touch Vandiperiyar but from here whether to go via Kanjirapally or not is the option. Some one has indicated that to take vandiperiyar route we may have to take forest dept., permits. So no information available on that count. It appears that this route is short when compared to Erumeli route. Still verifying.

- Sai

Last edited by Vihari : 14th September 2013 at 20:40.
Old 14th September 2013, 21:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for the input, Gopal. Regarding the above route, I really do not have any idea since I am going to drive for the first time in my life. Actually, we have to touch Vandiperiyar but from here whether to go via Kanjirapally or not is the option. Some one has indicated that to take vandiperiyar route we may have to take forest dept., permits. So no information available on that count. It appears that this route is short when compared to Erumeli route. Still verifying. - Sai
Sai! There are basically three routes to sannidhanam; the traditional path which starts at Erumeli immediately after Vavar temple; the second is vandiperiyar-pulmedu route which passes through private estate and have a good chance of coming across tigers, and the third is short route from pampa from where sannidhanam is around 7 km. Longer route or traditional route will be open only during January though, but you need to take this route at least once and generally first timers are advised to do so

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2013 at 23:07. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 14th September 2013, 22:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
There are basically three routes. The traditional long route which starts from erumeli immediately after Vavar temple. The second is vandiperiyar- pulmedu route and the third is from pampa which is around 7 km from sannidhanam. During November, erumeli - long route will not be open, though.
No Gokrish, I am not new to Sabarimala. i am sorry to have confused you.
I had been to Sabarimalai continuously for the last 4 years! My cousin is visiting for the 14th time. I am only new to the road route. Earlier we used to reach ERnakulam / Kottayam by train and reach Pamba - via Erumeli - and visit Sannithanam!

So the queries are regarding road routes only.
Old 16th September 2013, 15:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which route is BETTER -

1. Naidupeta - Sullurpeta - Chennai - Tambaram - Chengalpattu - Thindivanam - Villupuram - Perambur - Tiruchirapalli - Dindigul;

or

2. Naidupeta - Srikalahasthi - Tirupati - Chittoor - Vellore - Ambur - Vaniyambadi - Krsihnagiri - Dharmapuri - Velur - Karur - Dindigul.

We will be starting from Ongole at around 2:30 PM. So where to plan night halt in both the routes?

Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

- Sai
Option 1 is better. Road is quite good and traffic a bit less. After Trichy, traffic thins. Road condition is superb till Trichy and okay from there on. After Dindigul you have to exit NH. Also, once you near Kerala, it is quite scenic.

We drove non-stop, so no idea about accommodation. For an all male pilgrimage, accommodation may not be a problem.

Incidentally, we were at Ongole at about 4 pm. Reached Pampa by 2 pm the next day.

Coming to Sabarimala this year too ( my 14 th), will start, most probably, on 26 November. This year we may come by train.

How are you palnning to return?
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 17:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Which route is BETTER -

or

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Option 1 is better. Road is quite good and traffic a bit less. After Trichy, traffic thins. Road condition is superb till Trichy and okay from there on. After Dindigul you have to exit NH. Also, once you near Kerala, it is quite scenic.
Agree with @simplyself. Option 1 if you have to touch Vijayawada/Ongole.
Roads are at par or slightly better than the Hyderabad-Bangalore route (for comparison).
You can forget Option 2 as some stretches are more than enough to irritate you.

Coming to night halts : I would rather stay in Trichy/Dindigul so that the next leg of ~ 5 hrs is reasonable.
Also, what is your plan for Day 2 ? reach early/afternoon ?
Your night stay/starting time is highly dependent on this.

If 2:30 pm is non negotiable, you could stay at Trichy if you can drive till a little after midnight.
If you can accomodate, plan for a little earlier so that you reach Dindigul.

Incidentally, this year I have planned to join my friends for Sabrimala as well.
Tentatively during one of the last 2 weeks of November.
I convinced them to drive (they usually fly). Would be planning a halt at Dindigul.

Last edited by DieselDon : 16th September 2013 at 17:55.
DieselDon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 15:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Agree with @simplyself. Option 1 if you have to touch Vijayawada/Ongole.
Roads are at par or slightly better than the Hyderabad-Bangalore route (for comparison).
You can forget Option 2 as some stretches are more than enough to irritate you.

Coming to night halts : I would rather stay in Trichy/Dindigul so that the next leg of ~ 5 hrs is reasonable.

If 2:30 pm is non negotiable, you could stay at Trichy
It is better to stay at Trichy. One added advantage is one can visit the famed Srirangam temple and have darshan of the Lord.

If one is comfortable driving during night, it is advisable as there wouldnt be much traffic after Dindigul during nights.

We took almost 12 hours to reach Pampa from Trichy. With a few short breaks and one one hour break. While returning we were a lot quicker on the same route. We started from Nilackal at about 1 am and reached Trichy by 9.00 am with a break for bath and a break for breakfast.

We didnt visit Srirangam temple as we had gone there the year before. We drove straight to Tanjavur to the massive Brihadeeswara temple and in the early afternoon left for Chidambaram. Reached there by 3.30 pm, had darshan and reached Pondicherry by 7 pm.
Old 17th September 2013, 20:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Option 1 is better.
Quote:
Agree with @simplyself. Option 1 if you have to touch Vijayawada/Ongole. You can forget Option 2 as some stretches are more than enough to irritate you.
Thank you Simplyself and Dilip. Initially, many people on HVK Forum and in this Forum were suggesting to go by route 1. But when we talk of night halt/stay people were suggesting to go by route 2 and plan NH at either Krishnagiri or Salem. Ampere also suggested Route 1 saying the stretch between Vellore and Krishnagiri is not good. So, finally, I think now I have to decide to take Route 1.

Quote:
Incidentally, we were at Ongole at about 4 pm. Reached Pampa by 2 pm the next day. We took almost 12 hours to reach Pampa from Trichy. With a few short breaks and one one hour break.
Quote:
I am now worried by this bit.

From Trichy to Pampa Google shows 350 Km and 7 hrs journey. So I thought we will reach Trichy at around 12 in the midnight and stay there for night halt and then in the morning, leave at around 8 AM and reach Pampa at around 4 pm in the evening by covering Erumeli also.

Now with simplyself's experience I am doubting whether this will be possible. @Simply self - Did you go to Erumeli and then Pampa?

Cant we complete the stretch from Trichy ( not Dindigul) in around 7 hours.

Quote:
It is better to stay at Trichy.
If one is comfortable driving during night, it is advisable as there wouldnt be much traffic after Dindigul during nights.
How are you palnning to return?
Quote:
If 2:30 pm is non negotiable, you could stay at Trichy if you can drive till a little after midnight.
If you can accomodate, plan for a little earlier so that you reach Dindigul.
The first and foremost important point I forgot to mention is that, this will be the first LONG drive I and my cousin will be undertaking in our lives, thanks to fellow Bhpians like you both and other members.

So, I decided that there will be absolutely NO night drives and NO non-stop drives! Just thought, better to avoid and have a leisure drive as far as possible.

Our plan was to reach Pampa in the evening (around 4 PM) and plan a darshan by the night. If we get accommodation at Sannidhanam, have another darshan in the morning and then - reach Tirupati by night of 20th.

Which Temples to visit while returning is not decided and waiting for some inputs on that count also. We will have 19th and 20th - 2 full days in which we have to plan to visit some temples (especially those which we cannot generally visit by train) and reach Tirupati by 20th night.

Quote:
Coming to Sabarimala this year too ( my 14 th), will start, most probably, on 26 November. This year we may come by train.
Quote:
Incidentally, this year I have planned to join my friends for Sabrimala as well.
Tentatively during one of the last 2 weeks of November.
I convinced them to drive (they usually fly). Would be planning a halt at Dindigul.
Good to know that you both are planning to visit. It would have been nice if we can plan together but I know it is not easy.
Old 18th September 2013, 20:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Which Temples to visit while returning is not decided and waiting for some inputs on that count also. We will have 19th and 20th - 2 full days in which we have to plan to visit some temples (especially those which we cannot generally visit by train) and reach Tirupati by 20th night.

Good to know that you both are planning to visit. It would have been nice if we can plan together but I know it is not easy.
If you start on 17 afternoon from Ongole, you may reach Sannidhanam by 18 th evening or night. If you can reach Pampa by 8 pm, then you would be able to get darshan on that night itself. However, even if you get the darshan on 18 th night itself, I suggest you take adequate rest after you come down to Pampa if there is no driver.

Another problem could be the parking location : Kerala Police tend to allot parking for non- Kerala vehicles at Nilakkal (20 km) or atleast at Chakkapalayam(2 km). If there is no driver who would stay with the vehicle, it becomes quite problematic. In that case either you should be able to convince them to allot you a space at Triveni or Hill Top or should park the vehicle at Nilackal itself and come to Pampa by shuttle buses which are very frequent.

If you plan to halt for night at Trichy, you may get darshan of Lord on 18 morning itself. Even if you cannot, you may come back to Trichy while returning. Tiruvannamalai is about 180 km from Trichy. Tanjavur and Chidambaram are not very far away from Trichy.

In 2011 we returned via Kumily ( onward journey was thru Salem-Guruvayur-Erumeli) to Trichy - Tiruvannamalai - Vellore - Tirumala.

In 2012 we returned via Kumily - Trichy - Tanjavur - Chidambaram - Pondy.

It all depends on whether you have a driver or not. If you have driver, you can visit all these places and still reach Tirumala by 20 th night.

Last edited by simplyself : 18th September 2013 at 20:28.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

The only and best option for you is to take Route 1, the roads are good all the way. Bypassing Chennai is not difficult at all. Will try to give you a break up of the entire journey with indicative times

1. Ongole to Chennai should take you about 5 hours of comfortable driving.
2. Chennai to Trichy cane be done in about 5 hours again comfortably at any time of the day.
3. Trichy to Theni would take about 3 and a half hours
4. Theni to Pampa would take about 5 hours hours.

The total journey time would be about 18 - 19 hours excluding breaks. These times are absolutely doable by maintaining speeds of around 90 / 100
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 07:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The only and best option for you is to take Route 1, the roads are good all the way. Bypassing Chennai is not difficult at all. Will try to give you a break up of the entire journey with indicative times

1. Ongole to Chennai should take you about 5 hours of comfortable driving.
2. Chennai to Trichy cane be done in about 5 hours again comfortably at any time of the day.
3. Trichy to Theni would take about 3 and a half hours
4. Theni to Pampa would take about 5 hours hours.

The total journey time would be about 18 - 19 hours excluding breaks. These times are absolutely doable by maintaining speeds of around 90 / 100
Srikanth, thank you very much for the information.

Regarding by-passing Chennai, I was made to understand that, the time of actual by-pass, matters. Since we may be approaching the same at around evening, the traffic might be more. But otherwise since it is a sunday, the traffic may be less. So, on the average, there might be normal traffic.

Do you think we can reach Trichy at around 12 midnight for a break/night halt?

- Sai
Old 24th September 2013, 12:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Srikanth, thank you very much for the information.

Regarding by-passing Chennai, I was made to understand that, the time of actual by-pass, matters. Since we may be approaching the same at around evening, the traffic might be more. But otherwise since it is a sunday, the traffic may be less. So, on the average, there might be normal traffic.

Do you think we can reach Trichy at around 12 midnight for a break/night halt?

- Sai
If you are reaching on a Sunday evening, it would not be much of an issue. If you start around 12 PM from Ongole, you should comfortably reach Trichy by about 12 AM with enough breaks.

If you are planning to halt at Trichy I suggest you aim to reach Trichy around 10 PM so that you can leave around 6 AM in the morning. A better idea is to drive upto Kumili, park your car at Kumili and take a jeep from there to Pampa. We paid around 2500 for a two way trip when we took the jeep. It is less tiresome driving through the ghat road and also faster as well.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 24th September 2013 at 12:14. Reason: Added details
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks