Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 16:45   #1
BHPian

Kochi to Manali

Hi BHPians,

Me and my wife are planning a trip to Manali (and if possible Rohtang pass) from Cochin in our XUV500. It is our dream to drive to the Himalayas. Both of us drive and are comfortable to drive upto 14 hrs a day. we do not prefer night driving. We have come up with a tentative plan for 2 weeks after going through many threads.
Are our estimated times too aggressive? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Bijoy
Attached Thumbnails
Kochi to Manali-route.jpg  

Kochi to Manali-map.jpg  

Bijoy&Indu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 21:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kochi to Manali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoy&Indu View Post
Are our estimated times too aggressive? Any advice is welcome.
The biggest pain points of teh first day is crossing Krishnagiri/Bangalore. You can lose quite some time there. There are alternate routes, but dont want to suggest as you have longer drives ahead.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 22:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Day 1 and Day 4 can be optimised further. Why don't you take it slow and another few days so that you can see enroute as well. After all you don't get a chance to drive so far up north every day so might as well soak in a few places while you are at it.

In case you can add 03 more days it would be worth your while. Let me know and a few must see options can then be built in.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 29th September 2013 at 22:31.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 23:46   #4
BHPian

The first day seems to be a difficult one.
You have to face lot of diversions because of bad roads/road construction activities before Bangalore in the Hosur-Krishnagiri sector. The NH47 is also in bad shape after Thrissur, so you may have to go via Pollachi.

Chitradurga or Tumkur will be a better target.

Second and third day are absolutely manageable. No idea on further routes.
bbhavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 01:47   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the replies.

Yes we know it would be better to add few more days and see few places enroute. But both of us can't get any more leaves :(

We thought we can push a bit longer on the first day. Had reached Bangalore by 12.30 PM when we started at 4 AM last time. So thought we can do 7-8 hrs more. Another reason was that we could not find any good hotels between bangalore and Hubli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The biggest pain points of teh first day is crossing Krishnagiri/Bangalore. You can lose quite some time there. There are alternate routes, but dont want to suggest as you have longer drives ahead.
Hi Ampere,
Would love to try some alternate route if it is going to save time. We ruled out the Mysore route because of the thamarassery churam with all the hairpins. Read about the route via satyamanagalam also. Does that route also have too many hairpins? My wife prefers to avoid these kind of roads. But if it isn't too much of twists and turns, would defenitely want to try a new route.

Thanks,
Bijoy

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th September 2013 at 08:16.
Old 30th September 2013, 07:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ampere,
Would love to try some alternate route if it is going to save time. We ruled out the Mysore route because of the thamarassery churam with all the hairpins.
This route even I would not advice especially if you have to follow it up with a long drive.

Quote:
Read about the route via satyamanagalam also. Does that route also have too many hairpins?

It has 26 hair pins, but they are much easier than the one at Ooty. Once done, this can be one of the best alternative routes. Pollachi/Palladam/Annur avoid Coimbattore as well. The only risk we run on this is, if a truck breaks out at one of these hairpins, we are stuck.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 12:15   #7
BHPian

Great ! All the best for this drive. We were planing for this, but, since we had only 10 days in hand, changed or limited the plan till Rajasthan and back to Bangalore.

Based on my experience on planning (note : not practical experience of driving in this route)

1) I think the number of days are less. I think you should keep a day or two as buffer.

2) Also, I think you should have some breaks in between, since you have only two drivers. eg : Bangalore to Hubli is 5 hrs 30 mins and Kochi to Bangalore is some 9 hrs. Looking at the road and traffic condition (not so bad, rather good), by the time you reach Hubli, both will be tired. And next day you are driving another 9 hrs and again next day 11 hrs. By the time you crossed 5 days, you will be tired. And on day 6 you start exploring Himalaya. I am not sure if you will be fresh and ready for new road. So, when I was planning, after a 12 or 14 hrs drive, next day was planned to drive 5 hrs or max 6 hrs. In that way, we were able to include more sight seeing on the way. But we failed to fit our plan to 15 days.

3) I think the route will be closed by end of this month. Are you planning for this year or next year ?
ashlyak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlyak View Post
Great ! All the best for this drive. We were planing for this, but, since we had only 10 days in hand, changed or limited the plan till Rajasthan and back to Bangalore.

Based on my experience on planning (note : not practical experience of driving in this route)

1) I think the number of days are less. I think you should keep a day or two as buffer.

2) Also, I think you should have some breaks in between, since you have only two drivers. eg : Bangalore to Hubli is 5 hrs 30 mins and Kochi to Bangalore is some 9 hrs. Looking at the road and traffic condition (not so bad, rather good), by the time you reach Hubli, both will be tired. And next day you are driving another 9 hrs and again next day 11 hrs. By the time you crossed 5 days, you will be tired. And on day 6 you start exploring Himalaya. I am not sure if you will be fresh and ready for new road. So, when I was planning, after a 12 or 14 hrs drive, next day was planned to drive 5 hrs or max 6 hrs. In that way, we were able to include more sight seeing on the way. But we failed to fit our plan to 15 days.

3) I think the route will be closed by end of this month. Are you planning for this year or next year ?
Hi ashlyak,
Yeah we know it is very hectic, but going to giving it a try. Kind of endurance test for us ! If it becomes too tiring will have to change the plan enroute.
We are planning to go this year only. Starting this Sunday....Excited !!!

The information we got is that the pass will be open in October. Even if we cant drive in Rohtang pass, reaching Himalayas in itself will be an achievement
Bijoy&Indu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 09:59   #9
BHPian

This Sunday ! God, i know you both will be super excited ! My drive to Jaipur starts Nov 1st and I am getting dreams of long roads and deserts all most every day. So I have a fair idea what you both are going thru.

Happy Journey, keep us updated. If you want any support in Bangalore, feel free to ping me.
ashlyak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 12:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It has 26 hair pins, but they are much easier than the one at Ooty. Once done, this can be one of the best alternative routes. Pollachi/Palladam/Annur avoid Coimbattore as well. The only risk we run on this is, if a truck breaks out at one of these hairpins, we are stuck.
+1 to that route, considering the current state of the Krishnagiri works, suggest sathyamangalam route. I had some folks who passed that way this week and the roads are very good and scenic. As you start your journey say to yourself " I'am having a smooth journey" this will ensure a drive without any blocks (power of your thoughts) this is to ensure a smooth flow through the ghats sans any truck break down.

Second is its very scenic and with nil traffic. Once you reach kanakapura and when you are about to reach bangalore take the nice road deviation and get off at the last exit ie Tumkur road, thereby you will escape the city traffic entirely and you are directly on NH4 on your way to Tumkur.

A small hotel opposite the Sathyamangalam police station owned by a mallu was recommended by the folks who visited them this week, they serve simple and tasty food was what was told.

Cheers have a fantastic, thrilling and safe journey. Way to go guys.
majumon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 19:46   #11
BHPian

Thank you manjumon. Now thinking of going via Sathyamangalam only !
Old 1st October 2013, 22:18   #12
BHPian

If you would ask me, leave early (no late than 5.30am) on Sunday. You will reach Bangalore by 3.30-4 pm. Instead of heading straight to Hubli, take a halt at Chitradurga. This will ensure you get your sleep. Then on Monday, proceed towards Thane directly. The four laned AH47 is super smooth and will help you maintain a higher average speed without stressing yourself on either days.

Of course, this would work only if you don't have anything planned for Hubli.
kdp95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 22:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Since you are on a kind of endurance drive suggest this route for optimum timings and less fatigue.
Ambala keep right towards Amritsar> 10 Kms Shambhu Barrier turn right> Banur> Landran>Kurali and onwards to Bilaspur>Mandi>Manali. Pretty straight route and hence giving details of the lesser known route from Ambala to Kurali, bye passing Chandigarh.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 00:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you manjumon. Now thinking of going via Sathyamangalam only !
If you're planning on going via Satyamangalam, you could perhaps skip Bangalore altogether and go via Chamarajnagar-T.Narsipur-Mysore Ring road-Srirangapatna-Nagamangala-Nelligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur to Hubli. Will save you at least 40-50 kms in distance, and the roads are reported to be quite decent except for the presence of some speedbreakers in state highway sections. It'd be 2 lane roads upto Hiriyur, but traffic should be sparse.

Note : If you ask Google for the route to Hubli from Chamarajanagar, the first suggestion that comes up is the route via Malavalli-Maddur-Kunigal-Tumkur. Avoid this, the roads on some of the stretches (esp. the Malavalli-Maddur one) is quite bad and the distance is more or less the same as first route I mentioned.
Old 8th October 2013, 13:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you're planning on going via Satyamangalam, you could perhaps skip Bangalore altogether and go via Chamarajnagar-T.Narsipur-Mysore Ring road-Srirangapatna-Nagamangala-Nelligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur to Hubli. Will save you at least 40-50 kms in distance, and the roads are reported to be quite decent except for the presence of some speedbreakers in state highway sections. It'd be 2 lane roads upto Hiriyur, but traffic should be sparse.

Note : If you ask Google for the route to Hubli from Chamarajanagar, the first suggestion that comes up is the route via Malavalli-Maddur-Kunigal-Tumkur. Avoid this, the roads on some of the stretches (esp. the Malavalli-Maddur one) is quite bad and the distance is more or less the same as first route I mentioned.
Rightly said Kala. Saw your post late. We took the Malavalli road which is narrow and bad.

We are going as per plan and is on our way to udaipur. We are taking a lunch break at subway somewhere after Bharuch.

More details coming up in the next post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks