Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 17:06   #1
BHPian

Getaways in & around Mayiladuthurai

Hello BHP-ians,

I am driving down to Thirukadaiyur with a group of cousins to attend a family event( a small town , 22 kms to the east of Mayiladuthurai) in the last week of November. I will be starting from Bangalore early in the morning on Nov 28. There is a family function on the 28th & the 29th. After that , I have the entire weekend at my disposal.Are there any good tourist spots around Mayiladuthurai where I can put my feet up & chill for a couple of days? Apart from the Pichavaram Mangrove Reserve(60 kms from Thirukadaiyur) I could not find any other place that interested me. I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some pointers.

I plan to take the following route

Bangalore-> Krishnagiri-> Salem-> Chidambaram-> Thirukadaiyur.

I am familiar with the roads upto Salem. How is the road from Salem? I dont think it is a National Highway. Is the road motorable? Any points that I must keep in mind while taking this route?
Old 5th November 2013, 18:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Getaways in & around Mayiladuthurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Are there any good tourist spots around Mayiladuthurai where I can put my feet up & chill for a couple of days? Apart from the Pichavaram Mangrove Reserve(60 kms from Thirukadaiyur) I could not find any other place that interested me. I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some pointers.
The Chidambaram Natraja temple is a sight worth visiting. On the way back you come via Tanjore/Trichy and visit the temple Tanjore. Even if you are not a temple guy, the structure is a sight to behold.
And of course you have the church at Velankanni.

Quote:
Bangalore-> Krishnagiri-> Salem-> Chidambaram-> Thirukadaiyur.
I am familiar with the roads upto Salem. How is the road from Salem? I dont think it is a National Highway. Is the road motorable? Any points that I must keep in mind while taking this route?
- Almost complete 4-lane till Ulundurpet.
- Very good roads till Vridhachalam
- Traffic increases from there on via Sethyarthope, Chidambaram, Sirkazhi, Mayavaram

Last edited by ampere : 5th November 2013 at 18:55.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 22:58   #3
BHPian

Satish,

you can also visit Tranquebar ( Tharangambadi) which is just 10 to 15 KM where you have small fort and beach with resort and if you further interested you can speak to the fishermen who will take you to sea for a charge.
soarer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 00:22   #4
BHPian

Satish, What is it that you are looking for? how far/ how many hours are can you travel?

If you are on a temple run, you have plenty around there. If you want peace and quiet you can do kodikarai/vedaranyam/point calimere. If you can go a little further then you have rameshwaram.
YaeJay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 08:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Satish, What is it that you are looking for? how far/ how many hours are can you travel?

If you are on a temple run, you have plenty around there. If you want peace and quiet you can do kodikarai/vedaranyam/point calimere. If you can go a little further then you have rameshwaram.
Rameshwaram would be a bit too far. But Kodikarai/vedaranyam and Tranquebaar are good options.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 12:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Chidambaram Natraja temple is a sight worth visiting. On the way back you come via Tanjore/Trichy and visit the temple Tanjore. Even if you are not a temple guy, the structure is a sight to behold.
And of course you have the church at Velankanni.
Thanks ampere. Not really the religious kind. But I have heard a lot about the Tanjore temple's architecture. Will try to fit that in somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
Satish,

you can also visit Tranquebar ( Tharangambadi) which is just 10 to 15 KM where you have small fort and beach with resort and if you further interested you can speak to the fishermen who will take you to sea for a charge.
Just looked it up on the internet & it seems to fit my requirement to the T.Is the sea rough? I've heard that the Poompuhar beach has very rough seas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post

Not looking to spend too much time driving. Any place which is an hour's drive from Thirukadaiyur will be ideal
Old 12th February 2014, 18:19   #7
BHPian

Satish

You could try Gangai Konda Cholapuram, a part of the living Chola temples, an UNESCO monument. Though its a temple, I believe it would be pretty impressive. The Brihadeeshwara temple is a part of the same group. Some believe the sculptures are better in GKC.

Happy driving
Old 13th December 2021, 20:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it worth visiting Kodiyakarai beach and Vedaranyam beach? If so, any good stay option around this place?
Old 13th December 2021, 20:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Is it worth visiting Kodiyakarai beach and Vedaranyam beach? If so, any good stay option around this place?
The drive is good, mostly surrounded by salt fields with extraction of salt. Almost no one around; I've been there once by CBR & once by SCross, both in Summer, keep your expectation low, but, it's one of unique scenery (not refreshing scenery)
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 20:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vedaranyam beach was filled with filth when visited in early 2019. The temple is lovely and less crowded.

Not sure on Kodikkarai.

You could enquire if Muthupettai mangroves are open. If so you could give it a shot.

I stayed in Star Residency in Muthupettai back then. Its pretty basic, AC room was 1200 and non AC was 500 Rs.

Velankanni would probably be versatile in terms of choices. You could try Pattukottai.

Thanjavur is a little away, but might work if you want to avoid ECR.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 22:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The drive is good, mostly surrounded by salt fields with extraction of salt. Almost no one around; I've been there once by CBR & once by SCross, both in Summer, keep your expectation low, but, it's one of unique scenery (not refreshing scenery)
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Vedaranyam beach was filled with filth when visited in early 2019. The temple is lovely and less crowded.

Not sure on Kodikkarai.

Velankanni would probably be versatile in terms of choices. You could try Pattukottai.

Thanjavur is a little away, but might work if you want to avoid ECR.
Thanks for the response guys.

Maybe I will stay in Karaikal which is not far away from Velankanni. I am planning to take the coastal route via Ramanathapuram, Tuticorin, Tirunelveli/Thiruchendur, Nagercoil. I have never taken this route, any idea about the road conditions?
Old 14th December 2021, 07:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response guys
Pls visit Sethukarai, worth the visit or may be when I did it was worthy

I'm sorry I forgot that I should've put up this post for your reference to decide earlier.

Quote:
I have never taken this route, any idea about the road conditions?
Been long since I've taken this route, being ECR, I'm mostly optimist that it should be good
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 10:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I will stay in Karaikal which is not far away from Velankanni.
Do you know a place in Karaikal? I found parking to be a premium in Karaikal.

Quote:
I am planning to take the coastal route via Ramanathapuram, Tuticorin, Tirunelveli/Thiruchendur, Nagercoil.
Nagapattinam-Ramnad would hold up. Hardly any heavy vehicles use this road. This should continue till about few km before Tuticorin. This is where it gets messy. Tuticorin-Tiruchendur were badly deluged last month, they weren't so great to begin with.

Tiruchendur-Kanyakumari is a 1.5 lane highway, so it might take about 2 hours for those 88 km. Its a lot better than what it was in late 80s, but don't expect great standards. Traffic is bare minimal though. There are some good beaches you can explore enroute though.
Old 14th December 2021, 18:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Do you know a place in Karaikal? I found parking to be a premium in Karaikal.
Le Arul Park has basement car parking. Its a good place to stay.

Quote:

Nagapattinam-Ramnad would hold up. Hardly any heavy vehicles use this road. This should continue till about few km before Tuticorin. This is where it gets messy. Tuticorin-Tiruchendur were badly deluged last month, they weren't so great to begin with.
Yes, I have heard that Tuticorin-Tiruchendur is not in a great shape, not the latest status though. So alternate option is to take the Tirunelveli route from here.

Quote:
Tiruchendur-Kanyakumari is a 1.5 lane highway, so it might take about 2 hours for those 88 km. Its a lot better than what it was in late 80s, but don't expect great standards. Traffic is bare minimal though. There are some good beaches you can explore enroute though.
I have taken this route during early 90s, it was not great then. We will take this only if time permits, don't want to do this stretch after dark.
Old 14th December 2021, 23:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have taken this route during early 90s, it was not great then. We will take this only if time permits, don't want to do this stretch after dark.
It was widened in the late 90s and has been 1.5 lane ever since. Its less used, heavy vehicles don't even attempt, so conditions have held up over time. Got resurfaced again in late 2000s during the ECR project.

You could choose to get out at Vembar towards Kovilpatti too. Sayalkudi-Virudhunagar will be a bit of detour
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks