Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 11:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Tiruchendur : Route Queries

Folks

My friend intends to visit Tiruchendur temple. He will be driving from Paramaakudi. Which is the best route from Paramakudi to Tiruchendur and how are the road conditions??
Old 10th December 2014, 11:42   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
My friend intends to visit Tiruchendur temple. He will be driving from Paramaakudi. Which is the best route from Paramakudi to Tiruchendur and how are the road conditions??
I think options from Paramakudi would be:
1.Via Sayalgudi-ECR-Tuticorin-Tiruchendur (ECR section is excellent, other sections I don't know recent condition, don't expect it to be too bad).
2.Via NH 45B Aruppukottai-Tuticoron-Tiruchendur (don't know the conditions)

Back in 2011 I had done Kanyakumari-Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur-Tuticorin-Rameshwaram (had missed NH 7A turnoff and did the detour via Tiruchendur, there were work in progress sections on the Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur section, shouldn't matter since your friend will not take this anyways).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 09:11   #18

My first post in Team-BHP though have been a member for years.
I intend to do the Bangalore - Madurai - Tiruchendur - Palani - Bangalore trip, this coming weekend.

What is the best way from Madurai to Tiruchendur.
Wanted to check if the road condition between Tuticorin and Tiruchendur is still bad.

Thanks !
Old 26th September 2017, 11:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentears View Post
My first post in Team-BHP though have been a member for years.
I intend to do the Bangalore - Madurai - Tiruchendur - Palani - Bangalore trip, this coming weekend.

What is the best way from Madurai to Tiruchendur.
Wanted to check if the road condition between Tuticorin and Tiruchendur is still bad.

Thanks !
Best is to go via Madurai-Tirunelveli-Srivaikuntam-Tiruchendur. You also have options to stop for a break at least.
I don't think road condition between Tuticorin to Tiruchendur improved. Usually roads in Tuticorin district are not that well maintained by history.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 14:58   #20

Thanks Ravi for the inputs.
While going I did take the Madurai -> Tuticorin -> Tiruchendur road, which is manageable and while back took the Tiruchendur -> Tirunelveli -> Madurai route which is really good.
frozentears is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 08:51   #21
BHPian

Hi All,

Plannning to do a Bangalore - Thiruchendur trip next weekend , mostly 0n 1st Feb. Since this is the first time travelling to Thiruchendur , need some help/guidance.
1) Which route I should take .
2) Planning to have a stop at Madurai to have a darshan at Madurai Meenakshi temple.
3) If I need to go to Ramashwaram , can do all this in 2 days ?
4) Is there any good hotels to stay at Thiruchendur .

Thanks
Gopi
Old 24th January 2019, 09:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Hi All,

Plannning to do a Bangalore - Thiruchendur trip next weekend , mostly 0n 1st Feb. Since this is the first time travelling to Thiruchendur , need some help/guidance.
2) Planning to have a stop at Madurai to have a darshan at Madurai Meenakshi temple.

Thanks
Gopi
Route vis Madurai is the best option. You cannot cover Rameswaram and Madurai in 2 days. If you plan to go to Rameswaram, also include Dhanushkodi in your itenary. In Madurai, plan to visit Koodal azhagar and Kal azhagar temples as well
Old 24th January 2019, 09:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Route vis Madurai is the best option. You cannot cover Rameswaram and Madurai in 2 days. If you plan to go to Rameswaram, also include Dhanushkodi in your itenary. In Madurai, plan to visit Koodal azhagar and Kal azhagar temples as well
If I skip madurai , which route I can take ? What will be approx time from BLR to Thruchendur
Regards,
Gopi
Old 24th January 2019, 09:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I skip madurai , which route I can take ? What will be approx time from BLR to Thruchendur
Regards,
Gopi
Default route is via Madurai. i would suggest you to take Madurai bypass and drive till Tirunelveli so that you get more of 4 lane roads to drive. From Tirunelveli, Tiruchendur is roughly about 50 kms.
Old 24th January 2019, 09:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Gopi

If you are planning only two days, then I will not suggest Rameswaram to be included in your trip. For Tiruchendur, you can follow the standard route below which has 4 lane all the way until Tuticorin. The last 40kms from Tuticorin to Tiruchendur is 2 laned and bit bumpy road.

Bangalore -Salem-Madurai-Tuticorin-Tiruchendur.

If you start driving on Saturday morning 5AM, you should be able to reach Tiruchender around 4~5PM in the evening with average speed of 80kms per hour and breaks. You can have darshan at the temple and opt to drive back to Madurai or stay in Tiruchender depending on the tiredness.

Next day you can do only Madurai Meenakshi amman temple enroute to Bangalore. Rameswaram will need another day.
Old 24th January 2019, 10:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
If you are planning only two days, then I will not suggest Rameswaram to be included in your trip. For Tiruchendur, you can follow the standard route below which has 4 lane all the way until Tuticorin. The last 40kms from Tuticorin to Tiruchendur is 2 laned and bit bumpy road.

Bangalore -Salem-Madurai-Tuticorin-Tiruchendur.

If you start driving on Saturday morning 5AM, you should be able to reach Tiruchender around 4~5PM in the evening with average speed of 80kms per hour and breaks. You can have darshan at the temple and opt to drive back to Madurai or stay in Tiruchender depending on the tiredness.

Next day you can do only Madurai Meenakshi amman temple enroute to Bangalore. Rameswaram will need another day.
Can you suggest any decent hotels at Thrichendur for Family.
Old 24th January 2019, 12:41   #27
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Tiruchendur : Route Queries

Quote:
Sorry, not able to help you out here as I have never stayed in Tiruchendur before. My parents live in Tuticorin and we always get back home. You should be able to browse for good hotels though
Old 25th January 2019, 17:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest Chitra Park. Reasonably priced, walkable distance from temple, good parking.

Quote:
Bangalore - Thiruchendur

I'll suggest Bangalore-Salem-NH7-Madurai NH7 bypass-Tirunelveli bypass-Tiruchendur.

Madurai-Tirunelveli NH7 is always better maintained anyday than Madurai-Tuticorin.

Tuticorin-Tiruchendur also is historically not well maintained. Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur on the other hand has a much better surface. Traffic will be moderate.

The only thing you might want to watchout for is Thai Poosam walkers. An acquaintance mentioned tons on the road enroute Palani. So I expect similar story in Tiruchendur as well. Have pesonally been in this situation for Tiruchendur 7 years back.

Quote:
Areas around the temple and all the way until Veli streets are messy to negotiate. My usual strategy has always been stay in Madurai and visit the temple.

Quote:
If temple and 22-wells are on cards, that alone will take half day. Dhanushkodi needs 2-3 hours in daytime. Can't be done in a 2 day weekend combining Madurai, Tiruchendur.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 15:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I would suggest Chitra Park. Reasonably priced, walkable distance from temple, good parking.

Hotel chitra park, I would second that. Also Hotel Ramesh Iyer. Very good clean rooms. Both hotels are ideally located very close to temple surrounded by good restaurants.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 09:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

I'll suggest Bangalore-Salem-NH7-Madurai NH7 bypass-Tirunelveli bypass-Tiruchendur.

Madurai-Tirunelveli NH7 is always better maintained anyday than Madurai-Tuticorin.

Tuticorin-Tiruchendur also is historically not well maintained. Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur on the other hand has a much better surface. Traffic will be moderate.

The only thing you might want to watchout for is Thai Poosam walkers. An acquaintance mentioned tons on the road enroute Palani. So I expect similar story in Tiruchendur as well. Have pesonally been in this situation for Tiruchendur 7 years back.

Areas around the temple and all the way until Veli streets are messy to negotiate. My usual strategy has always been stay in Madurai and visit the temple.

If temple and 22-wells are on cards, that alone will take half day. Dhanushkodi needs 2-3 hours in daytime. Can't be done in a 2 day weekend combining Madurai, Tiruchendur.
Thanks Narayan. I am planning to leave BLR on 1st Feb early morning. The plan is to reach Trichendur by 4 PM , have darshan and travel to Rameshwaram on 2nd Feb morning. Complete the 22 wells and Danushkodi and travel to Madurai in the evening . Morning Darshan on 3rd Feb and return back to BLR. Will this work out. Can you share good hotels to stay at Rameshwaram and Madurai .

Regards,
Gopi

Most Viewed