Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2013, 21:57   #1

Bangalore to Tiruchendur : Route Queries

My grandmother passed away last week and I need to travel to Tiruchendur on the 31st. I am going to be driving alone- from Bangalore to Tiruchendur and back. I need to be there at an odd time is why bus and train don't work out for me.
I plan to leave 31st early morning by 6:00AM and drive with a couple of stops in-between for breakfast/lunch. I plan to go via Salem, Karur, Madurai, Virudhunagar, Kovilpatti, Sattur, Tirunelveli. People tell me it would take about 10 hours. I don't usually drive faster than 100KMPH. I listen to audiobooks (fiction) while driving. I plan to start a fresh book on 31st. Wanted to know if there is any cause for concern about the road, some new diversions, some new bad patches or some sudden bump to be weary of- if anyone knows anything. Also, if you feel going via Tuticorin is better, let me know. Thanks for the help and thanks if you are reading, but don't see a concern.
Hey, also, if anyone has to go that side at that time, wants to join me, let me know.
Old 27th December 2013, 23:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Tiruchendur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_blr View Post
I plan to leave 31st early morning by 6:00AM and drive with a couple of stops in-between for breakfast/lunch. I plan to go via Salem, Karur, Madurai, Virudhunagar, Kovilpatti, Sattur, Tirunelveli. People tell me it would take about 10 hours. I don't usually drive faster than 100KMPH. I listen to audiobooks (fiction) while driving. I plan to start a fresh book on 31st. Wanted to know if there is any cause for concern about the road, some new diversions, some new bad patches or some sudden bump to be weary of- if anyone knows anything. Also, if you feel going via Tuticorin is better, let me know.
I think you should do NH7 till Madurai and then NH45B to Tuticorin bypass. And then take the ECR from there on. That should be a better option. Even Madurai-Tuticorin is a 4-lane end to end.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 07:30   #3

Thanks Ampere. Does that mean Madurai-Tirunelveli road is not as good? Even if it is a bit longer (by about 25 Kms, I guess), I would prefer to do the Tirunelveli route, as I have many memories attached to that place. But, if the roads are not as good, then Tuticorin it is.
Old 28th December 2013, 12:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere. Does that mean Madurai-Tirunelveli road is not as good? Even if it is a bit longer (by about 25 Kms, I guess), I would prefer to do the Tirunelveli route, as I have many memories attached to that place. But, if the roads are not as good, then Tuticorin it is.
Ampere meant it in terms of distance I presume - no need to go till Tirunelveli. But if you want to do Tvly, then also it should be OK. Madurai Tirunelveli is good. Am not sure whether Tirunelveli-Tuticorin road work is complete
Old 28th December 2013, 17:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think both are just fine. You get 4-lane till Tirunelveli as well. Since you can get 4-lane all the way till Tuticorin, I suggested that option.
Old 7th January 2014, 21:21   #6

So I left bangalore at 5:45am, took the tirunelveli route and reached Tiruchendur by 2:00PM. I stopped just once for a brunch. But while returning, I took about nine and half hours, as I left only by about 11:45 and part of my journey after krishnagiri was slow due to traffic and because it had become dark. Listen to an audiobook and it was good. Apparently, the road between Tiruchendur and Tuticorin is not as good and everyone recommended I come back via Tirunelveli.
ananth_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 09:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So I left bangalore at 5:45am, took the tirunelveli route and reached Tiruchendur by 2:00PM. I stopped just once for a brunch. But while returning, I took about nine and half hours, as I left only by about 11:45 and part of my journey after krishnagiri was slow due to traffic and because it had become dark. Listen to an audiobook and it was good. Apparently, the road between Tiruchendur and Tuticorin is not as good and everyone recommended I come back via Tirunelveli.
Did not realize the last mile is that bad. Now that you mention, I also feel, Tirunelveli is better. Another reason for the same is that you are onto NH7 much earlier and crossing Madurai is easier. No need to go via airport ring road and all.
Old 1st April 2014, 11:26   #8
BHPian

Just Come back from Bangalore - Tiruchendur - Bangalore trip.

Bangalore to Tiruchendur => Took Tuticorin route and the road from Tuticorin to Tiruchendur (38kms) was in bad shape. Till Tuticorin the road was very good and all the way it was 4 lane except Madurai by pass.

Tiruchendur to Bangalore => Took Tirunelveli route and the road from Tuticorin to Tirunelveli was good 2 lane road. From Tirunelveli to Bangalore as usual all the way 4 lane.

Better to take Tirunelveli route and it was worth even if you spent 10 - 15 kms extra and approx Rs 38 extra on toll.

Ram.
Ramp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 18:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
... Tiruchendur to Bangalore => Took Tirunelveli route and the road from Tuticorin to Tirunelveli was good 2 lane road. ...
I guess you meant "Thiruchendur to Tirunelveli" ?
I know Tuticorin-Thirunelveli is 4-laned.
Old 1st April 2014, 19:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the ECR is in quite bad shape and the NH7 access is far-far better. I also presume that the Tiruchendur exit on the Tirunelveli bypass would be well marked.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like the ECR is in quite bad shape and the NH7 access is far-far better. I also presume that the Tiruchendur exit on the Tirunelveli bypass would be well marked.

Yes ampere. IIRC Tiruchendur exit is marked in NH7 in Tirunelveli bypass.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:26   #12
BHPian

[quote=Blue Thunder;3403456]I guess you meant "Thiruchendur to Tirunelveli" ?

Yes, I was meaning Thiruchendur to Tirunelveli, some how i typed wrongly.
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Ramp;3404020]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I guess you meant "Thiruchendur to Tirunelveli" ?

Yes, I was meaning Thiruchendur to Tirunelveli, some how i typed wrongly.
How are the road conditions from Tiruchendur to Tirunelveli.
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

[quote=suresh_gs;3404055]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post

Check Ananth's post above. Its much better to take NH7 instead of NH45B. Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur is in much better condition than Tuticorin-Tiruchendur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
SH40 is good, traffic is a bit on moderate side. Not a problem in the day, at night was a bit irritating to drive (especially I went in Jan when there were tons of people walking to Tiruchendur). As ampere mentions, its better to stick NH7 than NH45B.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks