Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 17:11   #1
BHPian

Kanpur to Guwahati : Route Queries

Hello friends,

I am planning a trip from Kanpur to Guwahati in May last or June first week. The route shall be through East-West Corridor as follows:

Kanpur > Lucknow > Gorakhpur > Gopalganj > Muzzafarpur > Madhepura > Purnia > Kishanganj > Siliguri > Koch Bihar > Guwahati

I plan to cover the above route in 2 days.

Stay at Guwahati - 2 nights

Stay at Kaziranga - 2 nights

Stay at Shillong - 4 nights (would be covering Cherrapunji & other places)

Back to Kanpur in 2 days

I have flexibility of days.... they can be increased if needed. The vehicle is Toyota Fortuner 4X4 & it's a family trip. I would be having a driver with me.

Kindly let me know the following:

1. What is the present condition of roads in East-West Corridor?

2. Is it safe to travel through Bihar?

3. Where should i stay in my journey so that i cover the route in 2 days?

if the option no.3 is tough in return journey, on my way back i can come and stay for a day at Siliguri (Shillong > Siliguri) and from there i can return to Kanpur in 2 days.

4. Do i need any road permits in Meghalaya or anywhere else if i travel in my own car.

Please advise me. I have never been to North-East and would love to see all these places.

Thanks in advance :-)
Devrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 17:23   #2
J.Ravi

re: Kanpur to Guwahati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
4. Do i need any road permits in Meghalaya or anywhere else if i travel in my own car.
No. I drove from Kaziranga to Shillong, and then, to Cherrapunjee and surrounding places in April, 2012. I didn't take any permit to drive to these places. The roads were good in Assam and Meghalaya. The worst roads were in West Bengal [Madarihat/Hasimara/Cooch Behar/Falakata].

Kanpur to Guwahati : Route Queries-drivingstatistics.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 31st January 2014 at 17:29.
  (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 16:49   #3
BHPian

Thanks J. Ravi for your reply. The information you shared is very useful. Thanks again :-)
Devrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 18:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

The roads from Purnia till Islampur (Assam-WB Border) are excellent. I would suggest you keep your self updated about the situation in Bodoland before you start your journey. You dont require any special permits to visit NE. Kaziranga would be almost devoid of any tourist during those times. Cherrapunji would be dry and the best time for Sohra is during the monsoons. There are plenty of things to see around Shillong. Mausmai caves for one are an excellent option while the living root bridges is another.
There are two roads leading into Guawahati from WB. One is through Coock Behar-Dhubri-Uttar Salmara-Golpara-GAU while the other oen is the stright Highway through Islampur-Gossaigaon-Bongaigoan-Rangia-GAU or you can turn to Golpara after Bonagiagaon as well. Remember if the bodos have called for a bandh take the Dhubri route while if Rajbhonshis have called for a bandh take the Bonagaigon route.
You are more than welcome for a visit to Jorhat to our place (About 90kms from Kaziranga) when you are here.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 20:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
The roads from Purnia till Islampur (Assam-WB Border) are excellent.
There are two roads leading into Guawahati from WB. One is through Coock Behar-Dhubri-Uttar Salmara-Golpara-GAU while the other oen is the stright Highway through Islampur-Gossaigaon-Bongaigoan-Rangia-GAU or you can turn to Golpara after Bonagiagaon as well.
The Bengal - Assam border in this case is Barobisha/ Srirampur, not Islampur. Islampur is after Kishanganj, near the Bengal - Bihar border.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
Muzzafarpur > Madhepura > Purnia > Kishanganj > Siliguri
Sir, why bring Madhepura into the picture? I believe it should read as Darbhanga :-)

Quote:
1. What is the present condition of roads in East-West Corridor?
I must say, you are in the right vehicle for this trip.

UP's traffic is known to you, so no issues.

Would suggest crossing the Bihar - UP border at daytime, preferably morning. Reason would be - the very frequent jam happening because of a narrow bridge at the border and a railway crossing. And the roads at Gopalgunj...they are treacherous.

Muzaffarpur to Purnia can be done in 4 hours. Very less traffic & amazing road, though while approaching a bridge, slow down a bit. The approach & expansion joints can throw surprises.

I did Darbhanga to Purnia in 2.5 hours on a bike, but that is another story.

Quote:
2. Is it safe to travel through Bihar?
I will let HVK answer this.

But, it is absolutely safe, we travel at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
The roads from Purnia till Islampur (Assam-WB Border) are excellent.
The road from Dalkola to Islampur's top layer has peeled off. You have to navigate.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 15:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Opps sorry my Bad. Inadvertantly wrote Assam, while it was to be Bihar-Bengal Border and then again wrote Islampur instead of Srirampur before Gossaigaon. Sorry.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 16:12   #8
BHPian

Thank you J. Ravi, Wandernomad, Sutripa & Sheel for your informative replies. It seems we have maximum rainfall in May & June in Cherrapunji hence i have postponed my travel program for a more suitable time.

Shall look into it later and the information you all shared shall remain with me as a guideline.

Thanks again :-)
Old 19th January 2015, 10:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

Got a PM from BHPian Turbanator. For the visibility & betterment of forum, have replied here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator
Hello Sheel

Need your help in planning trip from Chandigarh - Delhi - Siliguri , are you aware of road conditions from Lucknow side or should we stick NH1

Thanks
By all means, stick with the Lucknow - Gorakhpur road.

From Lucknow, all the way to Gopalgunj (UP - Bihar border) you will have fabulous roads. Downside being, tolls are present every 50-60 kilometers.

Gopalgunj sector has very bad roads till the bridge. Short stretch of good roads between this sector & bridge, known as Bagha Dhala Road on NH-28 You will be thankful if you are in a high GC car. There is a railway crossing as well which is notorious for jams. I will advise you to do this sector in daylight.

Post this, you need not worry. After this stretch (once you are greeted by good roads, after the bridge though) you can drive at any time of the day/night till Siliguri.

Bihar is notorious for road-blocks. In case you come across one and are in a SUV, follow local traffic or ask around, if there are no bridge/s, chances are you will come across a detour which will again join you on the main road. Be cautious if it passes through a habitat. Trail a vehicle.

A small part of road prior to Forbesgunj is not yet constructed, but should not be a bother. It ends abruptly though. It is around Narpatgunj.

After crossing Bihar (Purnia) once you enter Dalkola, roads will not be in a very great shape till some 30-40 odd kms, but is not a bother. Your pace will be reduced though.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th January 2015 at 10:48.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 19:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Someone did Lucknow - Purnia sector on 24-1-'15. As per him, the Gopalgunj sector has almost been paved, very less of bad roads and the bridge has smooth surface as well.

Expect 10-11 hours running time if you plan your stops.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 19:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Someone did Lucknow - Purnia sector on 24-1-'15. As per him, the Gopalgunj sector has almost been paved, very less of bad roads and the bridge has smooth surface as well.

Expect 10-11 hours running time if you plan your stops.
I am planning to go to Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya in December. I plan to start from Meerut on 1st December. Seeing this thread i feel i should take the Lucknow Gorakhpur route to go to siliguri. Any idea of the present road condition and how much time should it take to cover the stretch. I will be coming with my wife and son and plan to reach gorakhpur from Meerut on the first day in my Toyota Fortuner. I wanted to know if its possible to do Gorakhpur-Darjeling/Siliguri in a single day. If not which night halt would you recommend which can provide us decent accomodation. Based in purnia i believe you will be the best person to help us out. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to a prompt response.
Old 29th November 2016, 10:01   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I am planning to go to Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya in December. I plan to start from Meerut on 1st December. Seeing this thread i feel i should take the Lucknow Gorakhpur route to go to siliguri. Any idea of the present road condition and how much time should it take to cover the stretch. I will be coming with my wife and son and plan to reach gorakhpur from Meerut on the first day in my Toyota Fortuner. I wanted to know if its possible to do Gorakhpur-Darjeling/Siliguri in a single day. If not which night halt would you recommend which can provide us decent accomodation. Based in purnia i believe you will be the best person to help us out. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to a prompt response.
My best buddy is currently in Chandigarh-Delhi section and he did go by Gorakhpur/Lucknow/Kanpur route on 27th November.

Gopalgunj section has been done up as well and you are unlikely to face any issue.

Gorakhpur to Siliguri via Purnia should be some 650 odd kilometers. If you go via Araria/Naxalbari/Thakurgunj/Bahadurgunj you will save some 40 odd kilometers. Will save on tolls, but won't get 4 lane roads and a bit of bad roads & crazy traffic for some 20 odd kilometers. In fact, the maps too show the same route.

Roads are brilliant throughout and you can easily keep your Toyota north of 2,000 revs in 5th gear.

Gorakhpur to Siliguri is easily doable in 10/11 hours of driving time. There are not many fuel outlets between Muzaffarpur to Siliguri [abundant if you go via Purnia] so do factor that.

In case you may require accommodation, I would guide you.
Old 29th November 2016, 19:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Gorakhpur to Siliguri via Purnia should be some 650 odd kilometers. If you go via Araria/Naxalbari/Thakurgunj/Bahadurgunj you will save some 40 odd kilometers. Will save on tolls, but won't get 4 lane roads and a bit of bad roads & crazy traffic for some 20 odd kilometers. In fact, the maps too show the same route.

Roads are brilliant throughout and you can easily keep your Toyota north of 2,000 revs in 5th gear.

Gorakhpur to Siliguri is easily doable in 10/11 hours of driving time. There are not many fuel outlets between Muzaffarpur to Siliguri [abundant if you go via Purnia] so do factor that.

In case you may require accommodation, I would guide you.
Thanks alot sheel for helping me out. All national highways are toll free till 2nd December so that is not a factor. I think I will take like to take the more frequented route via purnia. I think if I make an early start 5am from Gorakhpur will I be able to reach Darjeeling by 5-6pm. I feel siliguri is not much of a tourist spot and will mostly be just a night stay. I plan to proceed to sikkim the next day. Any pointers for accommodation will be highly appreciated. Also I would like to know which route did your friend take from delhi to lucknow. The road via kanpur and agra or the direct route from delhi to lucknow. The agra lucknow highway is still not open for traffic hence the dilemma.
Old 30th November 2016, 08:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
T I think if I make an early start 5am from Gorakhpur will I be able to reach Darjeeling by 5-6pm. I feel siliguri is not much of a tourist spot and will mostly be just a night stay. I plan to proceed to sikkim the next day. Any pointers for accommodation will be highly appreciated. Also I would like to know which route did your friend take from delhi to lucknow. The road via kanpur and agra or the direct route from delhi to lucknow. The agra lucknow highway is still not open for traffic hence the dilemma.
I am not very sure if you can make it to Darjeeling the same day, reason being hills/fog coupled with darkness. And some sort of fatigue will creep in after driving for over 10 hours. I would suggest a stop over at Siliguri. Plenty of hotels there, you may search.

My friend took the Lucknow - Kanpur - Agra route towards Chandigarh via Delhi. He should be on his way back today. Will update.
Old 14th June 2017, 18:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kanpur to Guwahati : Route Queries

We will be driving from Jalandhar to Bhutan in the last week of August.
The route I have in mind is :
Day 1: Jalandhar - Agra
Day2: Agra - Gorakhpur
Day 3: Gorakhpur - Siliguri
Day 4: Will drive to Bhutan (location undecided)

I have the following questions in mind:

1) How safe is Gorakhpur to Siliguri route? and is it doable in a day comfortably?

2) I will have an all female gang (apart from me; total 5 pax) - are the roads especially after Gorakhpur safe for such an endeavor? What is the state of goondaism in Bihar/UP? Is it common as is being told to me? (I am being discouraged by everybody not to do this trip given that I will be accompanies by females only)

3) How is the overall road condition from Lucknow to Siliguri?

Your responses to the above questions will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by rrsteer : 14th June 2017 at 18:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks