Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2014, 13:08   #1
BHPian

Bhopal to Delhi : Route Queries

I didn't see any dedicated thread for this route and most updates on the roads between Bhopal and Delhi were old. So I am making a new thread to discuss all possible route options for this trip. I am planning to go to Delhi from Bhopal next week and I have come up with the following route options:

1) Bhopal - Vidisha - Ashoknagar - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi (~12.5 hrs)
(Link)
2) Bhopal - Biaora - Guna - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi (~12.5 hrs)
(Link1)
(Link2)
3) Bhopal - Vidisha - Bina - Lalitpur - Jhansi - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi (~12.5 hrs)
4) Bhopal - Dewas - Indore - Ratlam - Mandasaur - Chittorgarh - Ajmer - Jaipur - Delhi (~16.5 hrs)

Reading various threads/other forums, I know that Jhansi - Gwalior is a terribly bad road. So the 3rd option is likely out. I have also read bad things about the Biaora - Guna - Shivpuri stretch in the 2nd option. But many people seem to have taken this route from Bhopal to Gwalior. At least one poster in the forum said that part of the 1st route (Bhopal - Vidisha - Ashoknagar) was OK back in 2012. The only bad thing about option 4 is 16 hours as opposed to ~12 hours for other options. But if you ask me, I'll take 16 hours on a good 4 lane road throughout with minimal tension vs. 12-14 hours on a combination of good and bad roads.

So what do you guys think? Is there any other option that can be explored? What should be the preferred route especially between Bhopal and Gwalior?

Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 14:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bhopal to Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
I didn't see any dedicated thread for this route and most updates on the roads between Bhopal and Delhi were old. So I am making a new thread to discuss all possible route options for this trip. I am planning to go to Delhi from Bhopal next week and I have come up with the following route options:

1) Bhopal - Vidisha - Ashoknagar - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi (~12.5 hrs)
(Link)
2) Bhopal - Biaora - Guna - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi (~12.5 hrs)
(Link1)
(Link2)
3) Bhopal - Vidisha - Bina - Lalitpur - Jhansi - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi (~12.5 hrs)
4) Bhopal - Dewas - Indore - Ratlam - Mandasaur - Chittorgarh - Ajmer - Jaipur - Delhi (~16.5 hrs)

Reading various threads/other forums, I know that Jhansi - Gwalior is a terribly bad road. So the 3rd option is likely out. I have also read bad things about the Biaora - Guna - Shivpuri stretch in the 2nd option. But many people seem to have taken this route from Bhopal to Gwalior. At least one poster in the forum said that part of the 1st route (Bhopal - Vidisha - Ashoknagar) was OK back in 2012. The only bad thing about option 4 is 16 hours as opposed to ~12 hours for other options. But if you ask me, I'll take 16 hours on a good 4 lane road throughout with minimal tension vs. 12-14 hours on a combination of good and bad roads.

So what do you guys think? Is there any other option that can be explored? What should be the preferred route especially between Bhopal and Gwalior?

Thanks
IMO,Delhi Agra Gwalior Shivpuri Jhansi Lalitpur Bina Vidisha Bhopal
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 09:00   #3
BHPian

So after talking to a few people in Bhopal I took the Bhopal - Biaora - Guna - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi route and I can confirm that the route from Biora to Gwalior is absolutely PATHETIC. On scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is the worst, i would rate the stretches on this route as follows:
  1. Bhopal - Biora (NH 12): 5 (No potholes but the road is not very smooth and is two lane only)
  2. Biora - Guna (NH 3): 9 (Huge potholes all over the road. Scraped the bottom of my Dad's Honda City at least 5 times even after using extreme caution)
  3. Guna - Shivpuri (NH 3): 7.5 (Some potholes patched but some huge potholes still remain)
  4. Shivpuri - Gwalior (NH 3): 6 (potholes have been mostly patched in this stretch)
  5. Gwalior - Agra: 2.5 (4 laned road with some shallow potholes. Looks like the road is not maintained properly)
  6. Agra City: 9 (Had to drive through the worst traffic on the worst water logged city roads)
  7. Agra - Noida (Yamuna Expressway): 1 (165 kms in 1.5 hours )
I should have taken the route suggested by ranjitp1 or the one via Jaipur.
Immix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 13:42   #4
BHPian

Bhopal - Biaora 4 lane work going on in full swing .
lone_driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 21:42   #5
BHPian

and till the time Bhopal Biora Shivpuri Gwalior is updated (may be next 2-3 years), best option:
1. Bhopal - Vidisha - Kurwai - Bina - Malthon (Beutiful double lane state highways (only 5 kms patchy before Sanchi, but that too should be perfect in next 2-3 months
2. Malthon - Lalitpur - Jhansi (excellent 4 lane North South Corridor)
3. Jhansi Dabra Gwalior (Patched up , mix of 4 and 2 lane roads, currently it takes 2-2-1/2 hours for this 100kms, but kindly check the status during / after monsoon 2014.
4 Gwalior - Agra Decent road, at some places 4 laning in progress
5. Agra - Please time yourself such that you dont cross Agra during daytime traffic, either too early in morning or late at night.
6 Agra - Delhi - Beautiful Yamuna Expressway

Bhopal to Jhansi should take 5-5 1/2 hours, Bypass Jhansi using Jhansi Bypass, Jhansi Gwalior with take another 2 hours, excellent Gwalior Bypass.
rkhare is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 15:37   #6
BHPian

When coming from gwalior, take the agra bypass. The road is OK, and one avoids the pathetic agra traffic. This bypass joins the delhi-agra national highway. Take the NH till mathura and then climb back onto the yamuna expressway. Went on this route last weekend. No complains.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 01:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
When coming from gwalior, take the agra bypass. The road is OK, and one avoids the pathetic agra traffic. This bypass joins the delhi-agra national highway. Take the NH till mathura and then climb back onto the yamuna expressway. Went on this route last weekend. No complains.

Are the railway flyovers complete and operational on the Agra Bypass..?? Or you were lucky to get open railway crossings.??
Old 15th June 2014, 13:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApriliaNut View Post
Are the railway flyovers complete and operational on the Agra Bypass..?? Or you were lucky to get open railway crossings.??
I was lucky to get them open. But still better waiting than getting into Agra mess.
Old 22nd June 2014, 13:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApriliaNut View Post
Are those railway crossings major headache? With incomplete flyovers, Is it advisable to take bypass once it starts raining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_driver View Post
Bhopal - Biaora 4 lane work going on in full swing .
Lone Driver, recently you crossed Agra, did you take bypass or went inside city?
Old 30th September 2014, 16:06   #10
BHPian

Time wise the shortest route to reach New Delhi from Bhopal. Just came back from this journey. It's long distance wise but the most easygoing on your car, road conditions wise.

Total turnaround - 2150 Kilometers
Vehicle - Mahindra Scorpio Vlx 4WD

Bhopal -> Ujjain Naka (On the Bhopal - Indore Highway, just before Dewas). Fantastic Road, 4 lane. 80 Rupees Toll.
Ujjain -> Nagda. 2 lane road. However properly surfaced and maintained.
Nagda -> Mandsaur. Part 2 lane, but well maintained road. Toll approx. 50 Rupees. Part 4 lane road (section of the Nayagaon Jaora Toll Road), toll 25 Rupees.
Mandsaur -> Neemuch. 4 lane road. Well maintained. Toll 50 Rupees.
Neemuch -> Chittorgarh. 4 lane road. Upon crossing the State border, there is a section of bad road for about 15 kilometres. However this eases out on the next section. Toll approx 40 rupees.
Chittorgarh -> Kishangarh. 4 lane road. Well maintained. Toll approx. 190 Rupees
Kishangarh -> Jaipur. 4 lane road. Well maintained. Toll approx. 150 rupees
Jaipur -> Gurgaon. The famous NH8. Heavy traffic. However road conditions are fair. Toll approx. 200 Rupees

The time break up is as follows. Bhopal to Ujjain Naka should take about 2 hours. Thereon, till Neemuch should take around 4 hours.
Neemuch to Jaipur should take about 5 odd hours. Jaipur to Gurgaon owing to unruly traffic should take about 3 hours.

If someone wants to stop over then I used a place called 'Tourist Motel' run by MPT in Neemuch. Fair enough place with typical MPT characteristics. I chose this location because of it's proximity to the 4 lane highway.
axlerod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 08:05   #11
BHPian

I have done both the routes suggested by axlerod and rkhare. Currently the best option for Delhi - Bhopal is what suggested by rkhare. The other route is also good but very long.

Some tips for route via Bina - Jhansi

1. Start early from Noida to avoid rush while crossing Agra. There is no option but to go via city only. It will take 30 mins to cross agra.
2. Do not enter into Gwalior. You will see a proper board with Jhansi direction marked before entering Gwalior city. Take that.
3. Gwalior - Jhansi section has many unmarked diversions. NOT TO BE DONE IN NIGHT.
4. Do not enter into Jhansi. Just before Jhansi take the East-West corridor to Shivpuri.
5. Continue on East-west corridor for some kms till you see a board on your left for Sagar , Lakhanadon etc. ie. the North - South corridor.
6. Take that left turn and you will travel on a 4 lane road till a point where it ends adruptly at a board which says Sagar, BHEL on your right. You will see trucks taking a kuccha road going down. Take that.
7. Once you get down you will cross a road and again you will see trucks going into bushes and taking a kuccha road. Follow them for a minute and you will land up on the North - South corridor to Sagar. Take that and you will bypass Babina also.
8. At Malthone take a right turn under the flyover to Bina.
9. At Bina do not take Bina bypass. It has more number of railway crossing. Go via the city only which has one crossing.
10. After Bina cross Kurwai and after some kms you'll come to an intersection where you have to take a left for Vidisha - Bhopal. Don't miss this intersection. There are no board here so ask the locals.
11. Once you take that left its a straight road to Bhopal via Vidisha bypass - Saanchi.

The roads are good all through out. I did the above route in 11 hrs in June.
columbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 13:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
have done both the routes suggested by axlerod and rkhare. Currently the best option for Delhi - Bhopal is what suggested by rkhare
Need to Travel on this weekend from Gurgaon - Bhopal - Ahmedabad, returning from Kandla - will need help from someone having idea on present road conditions or is this the best option

Gurgaon - Bhopal

Bhopal - Ahmedabad

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st October 2014 at 13:51.
Old 31st October 2014, 14:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Need to Travel on this weekend from Gurgaon - Bhopal - Ahmedabad, returning from Kandla - will need help from someone having idea on present road conditions or is this the best option

Gurgaon - Bhopal

Bhopal - Ahmedabad
For Bhopal - Ahmedabad you can take the following route -

Bhopal - Dewas - Ujjain - Badnagar - Petlawad - Thandla - Meghnagar - Dahod- Godhra - Balasinor - Ahmedabad.

I went to Ahmedabad by this route in September and the road conditions are good.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 17:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Gurgaon - Bhopal

Bhopal - Ahmedabad
For Gurgaon -> Bhopal you can refer to my post from 30th September above. I had returned from the journey on the 29th of September itself. So all information contained therein is current. That route shall be the most kind to your car, as the road conditions are consistently good across states (barring some 15 odd kilometres on the Rajasthan - Madhya Pradesh border). Another advantage you shall have on that route is the Gurgaon NH8 relationship.
Old 31st October 2014, 19:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For Gurgaon -> Bhopal you can refer to my post from 30th September above

Quote:
The time break up is as follows. Bhopal to Ujjain Naka should take about 2 hours. Thereon, till Neemuch should take around 4 hours.
Neemuch to Jaipur should take about 5 odd hours. Jaipur to Gurgaon owing to unruly traffic should take about 3 hours.
Thanks , I read this one on google maps this looks pretty long - can you reconfirm the times - Japiur - Gurgaon - 3 hours is very difficult

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks