Team-BHP - Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/148191-ahmedabad-indore-nagpur-gopalpur-odisha.html)

Hi Folks,

1. I plan to travel with my family from Ahemdabad to Gopalpur (Odisha) during mid-march.

2. I have several options to travel on the route:-

(a) Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Durg-Gopalpur : shortest, however dont know naxalite situation and stay options after Nagpur.

(b) Ahmedabad-Bombay-Pune-Hyaderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur : Longer by about 400Km. Sounds better through big cities though it may be time consuming but better connected.

(c) Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-Lucknow-Allahabad-Ranchi-Gopalpur : Much longer.But in known territories.

3. I request the fellow BHPians to guide on the condition of roads, stay options, security situation and best route to take. I am open to more suggestions. Even inputs of a stretch on this road would be helpful.

4. I could not find any queries on this route. If anyone can point to a link that would be wonderful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaureanBull (Post 3374713)
(a) Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Durg-Gopalpur : shortest, however dont know naxalite situation and stay options after Nagpur.

lots of stay options in Nagpur, Nagpur->Durg/Raipur is 4 lane but dont go via Kanker/Jagdalpur due to maoist.
Better to continue on NH6 till Sambalpur->Cuttak then to gopalpur.
bad roads after raipur till sambalpur, Sambalpur cuttak is good.
less facilities on road after raipur. Suggest to take halt at nagpur, second at sambalpur.

Thanks Shabbir.

I did contemplate that route. But then its just shorter by about couple of hundred kms than the Ahmedabad-Bombay-Pune-Hyaderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur route which I expect to be in much great conditions, though congested around the big cities.

I have four days to cover that distance and with family around want to take it easy.

Quote:

Hi Folks,

1. I plan to travel with my family from Ahemdabad to Gopalpur (Odisha) during mid-march.

2. I have several options to travel on the route:-

(b) Ahmedabad-Bombay-Pune-Hyaderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur : Longer by about 400Km. Sounds better through big cities though it may be time consuming but better connected.

(c) Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-Lucknow-Allahabad-Ranchi-Gopalpur : Much longer.But in known territories.

3. I request the fellow BHPians to guide on the condition of roads, stay options, security situation and best route to take. I am open to more suggestions. Even inputs of a stretch on this road would be helpful.

4. I could not find any queries on this route. If anyone can point to a link that would be wonderful.

According to me the option (b) would be best though a little longer route. All along you would get good / excellent roads.

If you think of passing through Nagpur-Durg-Raipur, (as Shabbir has already said) plan to travel upto Sambalpur on NH6, then to Cuttack on NH42 and then through Bhubaneshwar to Gopalpur on NH5. If you come up with your specific plans it will be easier to reply.

You'll have plenty of options to halt at Nagpur, Bhilai/Raipur and Sambalpur and there is no naxalite problem in this part of NH6 between Nagpur and Sambalpur, I've personally returned from Nagpur after dinner on many occassions with family and friends.

Option 1 : Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Pune-Hyderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur
Reach Surat by evening of previous day of starting the journey.
Day 1 : Surat-Mumbai-Pune (440Kms).
Day 2 : Pune-Solapur-Hyderabad (565kms).
Day 3 : Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Vishakhapatnam (620Kms).
Day 4 : Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur (288 Kms).

Option 2 : Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Sambalpur-Cuttak-Gopalpur
Day 1 : Ahmedabad-Indore.
Day 2 : Indore-Nagpur.
Day 3 : Nagpur-Sambalpur.
Day 4 : Sambalpur-Gopalpur.

So far thinking on these lines. I can give a more firm programme in case I can get advise on the route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaureanBull (Post 3375261)

So far thinking on these lines. I can give a more firm programme in case I can get advise on the route.

If you are coming to Indore for no reason then I would advice you to take this route

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Ah...ia=1,2&t=m&z=7

Almost good all the way. I am unsure of the road condition in Maharashtra.
Do the Dahod-Alirajpur-Kukshi section in daytime. And take a halt at Maheshwar or Omkareshwar.

Quote:

Option 1 : Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Pune-Hyderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur
Reach Surat by evening of previous day of starting the journey.
Day 1 : Surat-Mumbai-Pune (440Kms).
Day 2 : Pune-Solapur-Hyderabad (565kms).
Day 3 : Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Vishakhapatnam (620Kms).
Day 4 : Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur (288 Kms).

I am planning a drive to Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve, which is south of Nagpur. My proposed route is Ahmedabad-Vadodra-Dhaboi-Alirajpur-Kukshi-Khandwa-Amravati (night halt) and next day on to Tadoba. In your case, please avoid the Dahod-Jabhua-Dhar-Indore road as this is in a horrible state. I had traveled to Indore using the Alirajpur route, which is a single lane, but with not much traffic. In case you do not have to go to Indore, why not halt at the scenic Melghat Tiger reserve which is before Amravati. You can book the forest guest house in Kolkaz. This way you can avoid going to Indore to reach Nagpur.

Your option 1 is definitely the better road, but option 2 is the road less traveled and should be interesting, as you can visit some Tiger sanctuaries enroute.

Regards

Saji

Quote:

I would say Hyderabad is the best option of all. Its 400km more. But you get decent break points and also good roads. Pune-Hyd NH9 is a bit rough as 4-lane is on going. Check that thread for latest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SajiNSalin (Post 3375293)
but option 2 is the road less traveled and should be interesting, as you can visit some Tiger sanctuaries enroute.
Regards
Saji

Can you point/suggest what all tiger reserves can be visited enroute or with little deviation from this route?

Any suggestions on accommodation would be most welcome.

I am likely to extend my journey time to seven days so it might turn out to be better enjoyable journey after all. :)

Melghat tiger sanctuary as well as Tadoba are close to your proposed itinerary. In addition, Pench is also not too far.
You can book the forest guest house in Kolkaz using the following link http://www.mahaecotourism.gov.in. In addition both the forest guest house as well as safari tours can be booked using the same link. I have done both the forest guest house booking as well as the safari tours for April 15 to 20th on line.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Saji

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaureanBull (Post 3375592)
Can you point/suggest what all tiger reserves can be visited enroute or with little deviation from this route?

Any suggestions on accommodation would be most welcome.

I am likely to extend my journey time to seven days so it might turn out to be better enjoyable journey after all. :)

As Saji has mentioned first would be Melghat near Amravati, second would be Pench near Nagpur, third would be Tadoba again 150KM south of Nagpur. Fourth would be a relatively unknown reserve forest near Bhandara and is called Nagzira. This is strictly not a tiger reserve but tiger has been spotted here. Last one would be Simlipal in Orissa.

Quote:

[b]

From Indore to Nagpur : Latest knowledge tells that NH69 is in terrible condition, I'm not very sure how is it now. This is the opinion of HVK in some other thread :

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 3279533)
NH69 is totally avoidable.
Alternative route is Amaravati-Achalpur-Dharni-Khandwa-Indore, which has some rough sections but mostly good except that you have to cross the Melghat WLS and has poor facilities en route.

This suggestion was in reference for travel from Nagpur-Indore, so the reverse would be applicable for you. From Amravati you'll have beautiful road till Nagpur, there is a nice ORR if you want to avoid Nagpur city. Nagpur to Bhandara road widening is going on so there will be plenty of diversions. Beyond Bhandara till 35KMs off Raipur (ARANG) the road is four laned but at bhilai-Raipur the road will be very busy and your speed will be restricted. Beyond Arang the road is two laned and neither good nor bad and full of patch works. The border crossing may be a sore point.

Overall Nagpur to Bhilai takes four hours and Bhilai to Sambalpur takes 5 hours.

I am about to finalise the Option 1 route, pending my leave approval. I plan to cover the distance in a relaxed manner, meeting friends enroute. The plan now stands like this:-

Day 1 : Ahmedabad-Vadodara
Day 2 : Vadodara-Surat-Mumbai
Day 3 : Mumbai
Day 4 : Mumbai-Pune
Day 5 : Pune
Day 6 : Pune-Solapur-Hyderabad (Need to check route)
Day 7 : Hyderabad
Day 8 : Hyderabad-Vijaywada
Day 9 : Vijaywada-Vishakhapatnam
Day 10 : Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur

Please update on the route condition, accommodation, break options including places for meals.

That is a better route, no doubt.
But eight days for the travel !!! I envy you.

Best of luck for the journey and request you to give a feedback in this thread or a seperate TL for the benefit of others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sommos (Post 3377712)
That is a better route, no doubt.
But eight days for the travel !!! I envy you.

Best of luck for the journey and request you to give a feedback in this thread or a seperate TL for the benefit of others.

There are eight days for travel only in case I get leave else its just four days. If I have four days then it would be just some hard driving!

Definitely, I will add here or TL depending on how much tourism time I get.

However, still looking for some tips on following;-

(a) Route condition between Solapur and Hyderabad (Planning to take the Gulbarga route, I guess NH-9 is pathetic in AP area).

(b) Route condition between Hyderabad-Vijaywada and Vijaywada-Vizag.

(c) Stay options in Vijaywada.

(d) Breakfast/Lunch options on all stretches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaureanBull (Post 3378113)
However, still looking for some tips on following;-

(a) Route condition between Solapur and Hyderabad (Planning to take the Gulbarga route, I guess NH-9 is pathetic in AP area).

(b) Route condition between Hyderabad-Vijaywada and Vijaywada-Vizag.

(c) Stay options in Vijaywada.

(d) Breakfast/Lunch options on all stretches.

I think fellow member Ranjitp1 and Ampere would certainly be in a position to help you here. You may PM them to draw their attention.