Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 17:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelling long distance during the Elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
On the contrary, EC is the only thing political parties are scared to offend.
Does that imply that in the past - the EC have requisitioned the vehicles of political parties or their members?
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:01   #32
BANNED

Here up north (atleast in haryana i know), never heard of such things as requisitioning of private vehicles. Though all the govt. vehicles in my father' department were posted on election duty, have never heard anybody telling his/her ride got requisitioned.
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkar1710 View Post
2. They shall be most likely to refrain from requisitioning such private vehicles which are found to be with families on tour.
Election commission can request private vehicles. Only question is will they do same for out of state cars as well. As someone already said not complying this rule is offence.
I am travelling alone in my Tata Safari. While coming back family will accompany me. Yes, I am casting my vote as election in Bangalore on 17th April, much before than my travel schedule.
We cannot change program of travel and it is fixed as I have to attend some function and I need my car there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
A bit OT but can someone please tell me what does one mean by this requisition?
Yes, Election commission can request you private car for Election duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Does that imply that in the past - the EC have requisitioned the vehicles of political parties or their members?
If they want they can. However, most likely their cars being used in poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Here up north (atleast in haryana i know), never heard of such things as requisitioning of private vehicles.
This rule is everywhere. Manytimes this does not come into light. But UP, MP, WB, BR, JH are more notorious states in this.
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:22   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Yes, it did happen in one of the earlier elections in my district. Scared me enough to hide my Vitara for 10 days.
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:28   #35
BHPian

In Goa I have not heard of private vehicles being requisitioned, come to think of it not even of taxis. However I'm travelling between 12 April to 20 April in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu with my family. Could this happen to me? Trouble is I cannot cancel now.
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
It is not only WB but BR & JH are also famous for this kind of action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
This rule is everywhere. Manytimes this does not come into light. But UP, MP, WB, BR, JH are more notorious states in this.
Amongst areas I know off, add NE states.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:50   #37
BHPian

It's astounding to hear that such a tyrannical and autocratic rule exists in a free country. Such rules remind me of the 2008 Beijing Olympics where many people where herded out of the site of the stadium.
Even taxi riders, leave alone private car owners, will have a lot to lose. Let's not forget that for many a taxi driver, his vehicle is the sole source of income for his entire family. It may be really difficult to bounce back after getting a broken down vehicle.
Is it not possible for the EC to arrange for some alternative from the central /state transport resources?
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:36   #38
BHPian

Read two articles about the same today, a bit old but they said that these taxi owners or cars which are available on rent are paid a very measly sum as compared to what they would otherwise earn. Very less infact.

And there is also another ruling which states that they can not impound private cars for this purpose. Can anyone throw light on this?

-Bhargav
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:49   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
It's astounding to hear that such a tyrannical and autocratic rule exists in a free country. Such rules remind me of the 2008 Beijing Olympics where many people where herded out of the site of the stadium.
Even taxi riders, leave alone private car owners, will have a lot to lose. Let's not forget that for many a taxi driver, his vehicle is the sole source of income for his entire family. It may be really difficult to bounce back after getting a broken down vehicle.
Is it not possible for the EC to arrange for some alternative from the central /state transport resources?
Errr why is this so astounding. We have even more tyrannical rules. For example, the govt can permanently requisition your land or your home if it feels it needs to make a road there, and the compensation may be just a small fraction of the real market value.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Cross-country motorists would do well to have a detailed knowledge of when elections are planned in the country in various regions... so that they can plan the trip accordingly.
Here's a map from Wikipedia:
Travelling long distance during the Elections-india-election-phases.jpg
joybhowmik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:02   #41
BHPian

I would be going from New delhi to Teerthan Valley(in Himachal). I, along with three other men would leave from Delhi on the evening of 9th April in a hatchback. Voting in Delhi/NCR is on the next day i.e. 10th April. Are there any chances of trouble/ cancellation of the trip?
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:54   #42
BHPian

Unbelievable such a law exists in today's world! How could they just take away someone's personal property without consent. I don't even let my close friends drive my car.
Old 3rd April 2014, 17:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
I would be going from New delhi to Teerthan Valley(in Himachal). I, along with three other men would leave from Delhi on the evening of 9th April in a hatchback. Voting in Delhi/NCR is on the next day i.e. 10th April. Are there any chances of trouble/ cancellation of the trip?
With a hatchback you should be fine. Anyway in NCR, things are not as bad as some of the states in the East.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:06   #44
BHPian

Anyone have any idea on the situation prevailing in Maharashtra; more specific in Pune? Scared a lot after reading the entire thread and more so when I have a Safari of mine. Perfect vehicle to be impounded.
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:51   #45
BHPian

Taking away vehicles seems to be the norm in Bangalore, Is it just about cabs or even private vehicles ? http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...039-draft.html But, if my memory serves me right, I think there is a supreme court judgement preventing private vehicles to be forcibly taken away for election duty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks