Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 01:39   #91
BHPian

Re: Travelling long distance during the Elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm planning to travel from Bangalore to Hyderabad this Friday night and return to Bangalore Monday morning, in my white Punto.

Anything I should be worried about? As far as I know- only cabs were being requisitioned in Bangalore. Anything reported against personal cars in AP?

On my recent ride to Nagarajuna Sagar as part of Hyderabad Team Bhp meet, I have seen policemen using quite a number of autos and polling officers using school busses as their mode of transport.

You need not worry as we have never heard of stories where personal cars are requistioned in AP. You only need to make sure that you don't carry more cash.

Please share your experience once you complete your trip.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 11:23   #92
BHPian

I have a doubt here if anyone is aware. How long the authorities use the requisitioned cars usually? I see many bhpians planning their trips taking in to account the election day at various states. Are the cars being taken away only for the Election Day? Or can it happen any time till the counting is over?
Old 9th April 2014, 11:31   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
I have planned a road trip to Goa, starting from Trivandrum on 12th April. The elections in Kerala will be over by 10th April. But my concern is, we will be in Goa during April 17th, the Goa election day. And of course, as tourists we will be driving on that day around areas we have no idea of. The car is a Duster. Anything I and my co-travellers be cautios about/prepared for ?
I have been to goa a number of times and Goa has always been a very tourist friendly place. So I am sure the Goan police will not do anything that would affect their state's bread and butter i.e.,"Tourism". So just go ahead and do the trip without any worries.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 12:22   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
But my concern is, we will be in Goa during April 17th, the Goa election day.
Anything I and my co-travellers be cautios about/prepared for ?
Nobody requisitions cars on the day of elections.

You might be stopped and searched, and asked to produce some kind of ID, that's all. Keep toll receipts handy.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 12:30   #95
BHPian

Thank you vipinendran and SS-Traveller for the valuable suggestions. Anyway, as mukeshgoel said, the election date in Goa has been advanced to April 12 due to religious reasons. So, I don't have any concerns now as I'll be reaching Goa only on 13th.
Old 10th April 2014, 01:22   #96
Senior - BHPian

I have a wedding to attend in Jaipur, want to drive there from Mumbai and back. Always wanted to drive through Rajasthan. Plan is to leave with the BMW on 16th early morning and run through MH and GJ to reach Udaipur that night. And cover the remaining 400 km through RJ on 17th with an early start. It's doable.

Almost all of Rajasthan has elections on 17th. Advisable? Or am I on a suicide mission? I don't mind regular police checks, they'll easily see I'm a tourist, I have the wedding invite, MH plates, one small bag and stepney in the boot, thats all.
Old 10th April 2014, 02:25   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I have a wedding to attend in Jaipur, want to drive there from Mumbai and back. Always wanted to drive through Rajasthan. Plan is to leave with the BMW on 16th early morning and run through MH and GJ to reach Udaipur that night. And cover the remaining 400 km through RJ on 17th with an early start. It's doable.

Almost all of Rajasthan has elections on 17th. Advisable? Or am I on a suicide mission? I don't mind regular police checks, they'll easily see I'm a tourist, I have the wedding invite, MH plates, one small bag and stepney in the boot, thats all.
I would say doable. 1. this is a BMW - I doubt anyone in their right frame of mind trying to take it for election duty. 2. sedan and not a SUV (gathered from the picture in your garage). 3. from what the team has been discussing - vehicles are requisitioned few days prior to the election day. 4. carry documents evidencing you are going to attend a wedding. 5. keep local contact details handy! 6. As SS - Traveller says - keep toll receipts handy.

Last edited by Traveller Nayak : 10th April 2014 at 02:27. Reason: added point 6
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 09:47   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...400 km through RJ on 17th with an early start.
Almost all of Rajasthan has elections on 17th. Advisable?
Have fun on empty roads in RJ. There's usually very little traffic on the roads (city or highway) on election-day morning. Take a look at Delhi this morning!
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 09:54   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
4. carry documents evidencing you are going to attend a wedding. 5. keep local contact details handy! 6. As SS - Traveller says - keep toll receipts handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Have fun on empty roads in RJ. There's usually very little traffic on the roads (city or highway) on election-day morning. Take a look at Delhi this morning!
Sounds good. My concerns weren't really as much about vehicle requisitioning, as the possibility of things going sour at the ground level, with rioting / curfews / etc. But should be okay from the looks of it, election day is when things are usually very calm (in most parts of the country).
Old 10th April 2014, 11:29   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Quote:
Sounds good. My concerns weren't really as much about vehicle requisitioning, as the possibility of things going sour at the ground level, with rioting / curfews / etc. But should be okay from the looks of it, election day is when things are usually very calm (in most parts of the country).
Team - updates from my trip thus far:

1/ left Delhi at 9 for the hills (uttarakhand)

2/ stopped at Delhi border by Election Commission. Basic enquiries. Asked to remove BJP stickers from front and rear windshields.

3/ thereafter no other checks for nearly 100 kilometers

4/ stopped just short of gajraula - again by election commission team. Videographed. no questions. All SUVs. Sedans beibg let go.

5/ what has also helped is I am accompanied by my friend, his wife and a kid.

6/ hardly any traffic.

7/ peaceful. Not even groups of people anywhere.

Will update later how rest of the distance goes.

Have to cover about 200 more kilometers.
Old 10th April 2014, 12:39   #101
BHPian

Travelled from Delhi to Sri GangaNagar (Rajasthan) via Delhi --> Bahadurgarh --> Rohtak --> Sirsa --> Ellenabad --> Sangaria --> Sadul Shahr --> Sri GangaNagar. Left Delhi at 5:00 AM and there was no checking on this 440+ kms route in Haryana or Rajasthan.

Came back same day via Sri GangaNagar (started 1700 hrs) --> Sadul Shahr --> Sito Gunno (Pb) --> Bhitti Wala (Pb) --> Mandi Dabwali --> Sirsa --> Hisar --> Hansi --> Meham --> Rohtak --> Bahadurgarh --> Delhi. The car was checked (with videography) at around 6 places. There were military personnel along with local police at all these check posts. There was High alert inside Punjab where elections are on 30th April. Delhi and Haryana goes on voting today (10th April).

There was no checking (HR & RJ) while going towards Sri Ganganagar. Had to stop for checking at around 6 places between Sito Gunno (PB - 17:30 hrs) and Sirsa (HR - 2100 hrs). No checking from Sirsa till Delhi.

Traveled via Punto and avoided the suv because of elections. At no check post they were impounding any SUVs for elections. May be it was too late to impound vehicles for elections.

I was surprised by the level of checking inside Punjab limits. And also shocked because I will be using my SUV in Punjab (Poll Date = 30th April) and Himachal Pradesh (Poll Date = 7th May) around 30th April.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 10th April 2014 at 12:49.
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 23:24   #102
Senior - BHPian

May be off-topic, but I'm curious to know a few things related to the requisition of vehicles.

- How much money is paid for requisitioning a SUV for 1 day ? Flat payout or Kms based ?
- How is the payment made - Daily or Only while returning the vehicle ?
- What is the procedure/compensation if the vehicle is damaged due to accident / sabotage.

If the Election Commision is transparent about these transactions, I guess owners would be lenient to giving away vehicles during polling.
Old 11th April 2014, 09:51   #103
BHPian

I had plan to drive to Patna in a SUV during upcoming extended weekend of Good Friday. Dropped the Idea & booked train as most part of the eastern U.P & Bihar have polls in the later phase.

In Eastern U.P. and Bihar, any 5+ seater would definitely get requisitioned for Election duty. Small Cars & Sedan are normally exempted.

Well, the reasons are
1. Not many light commercial Vehicles, taxis in these Area.
2. RTOs even though computerized, do not send summon to registered commercial Vehicles as its quite a task & people do not receive the summon (there are ways)
3.Higher population means, more polling centers and more demand for resources including transportation.
Old 11th April 2014, 11:16   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Team - updates from my trip thus far:

Will update later how rest of the distance goes.

Have to cover about 200 more kilometers.
1/ only 1 other check

2/ this was when we entered Uttarakhand

3/ checked by local police at the border

4/ arrogant. Probing questions. Baggage thoroughly checked

Other than the 3 checks (did expect some checks traveling 3 states during elections!) the journey was - in a manner of speaking - uneventful.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 15:31   #105
BHPian

Quote:
1/ only 1 other check

2/ this was when we entered Uttarakhand

3/ checked by local police at the border

4/ arrogant. Probing questions. Baggage thoroughly checked

Other than the 3 checks (did expect some checks traveling 3 states during elections!) the journey was - in a manner of speaking - uneventful.

Returned yesterday. Left at 11.30 am and was home at 9 pm. Peaceful. No checks. No stopping.

My experience: on the polling day there is sensitivity. If you are moving on a typical touristy route you should be safe. But do read up before you do that journey. No harm done in checking for particularly sensitive areas.

--
Nayak // Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP

Most Viewed