Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2006, 19:40   #1
BHPian

Which place? at this time of the year?

Hi Frens!

I'm planning for a three day trip to any of these places, I have seen all of them, but not sure how the weather is at the moment...

The places are,
1. Goa
2. Ooty
3. Kodaikanal
4. Wayanad
5. Pondicherry

PLease can anyone provide more information on the road conditions and the weather at these places?
Thanks in advance...
Old 11th July 2006, 20:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

If your planning on driving and 3 days is inclusive of the drive I would rule out Kodaikanal & Goa as the road time to these 2 itself would take up a considerable portion of your holiday. Also you might run into rains in Goa which means you have to sit in your room most of the time (like any coastal city in the monsoon).

Wayanad would be my suggestion to you. There will be light rains but it is a magical place at anytime of the year and will offer you solitude.

I enjoyed Ooty as a child but it is not its former self anymore. The less said the better.
Ooty/Wayanad would take you 6-7 hours.

In the last 2 years I have visited Kodaikanal and returned again as I have grown very fond of it. Some of its surrounding areas are simply breathtaking and hard to imagine such paradise exists.

Enjoy your trip

Last edited by s0uljah : 11th July 2006 at 20:19.
Old 12th July 2006, 11:37   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs mate!
Old 12th July 2006, 15:11   #4
BANNED

I totally agree with s0uljah on the Goa part. Goa is a definate No-No at this time of the year. If you get the rains you'll be stuck. The rains we see in bangalore are nothing like the rains we see in a costal place like Goa.
Old 12th July 2006, 17:00   #5
BHPian

I am off to Kodai tomorrow.. doing 4 days
Will write in with road conditions, etc..

@S0uljah: can you recommend any fuel pumps and food joints on the way to Kodai. Am planning to go via Salem and Namakkal.. Is that a good route? Also, which route to take after Namakkal?
Old 12th July 2006, 17:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
I am off to Kodai tomorrow.. doing 4 days
Will write in with road conditions, etc..

@S0uljah: can you recommend any fuel pumps and food joints on the way to Kodai. Am planning to go via Salem and Namakkal.. Is that a good route? Also, which route to take after Namakkal?
Nithinbhag, Although the question was specifically addressed to S0uljah but still my 2 cents....

Route: Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul (NH7 till here) - Vathalakkundu - Ganguvarpatty (Ghat road begins) - Kodai
No idea of petrol pumps...Need to know from you after you return as i have plans to drive to Madurai to attend a marriage.
Old 12th July 2006, 17:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
Nithinbhag, Although the question was specifically addressed to S0uljah but still my 2 cents....
Hey AK, thanks for answering.. no problem.. Appreciate it.. Am leaving early tomorrow morning..

Will try and write in on Monday ..
Old 12th July 2006, 20:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Food & Petrol - Nothing I can recommend in particular.

We stopped at dharmapuri for breakfast at a place that my family has been going to for years, forget what its called but you might end up hitting that 'hotspot' as well

Regarding fuel just make sure you fill along the way before you start the climb to Kodai as the fuel there is adulterated.
There are a number of Reliance bunks along the way as well as BP, IndianOil but very few accept cards, just thought I would let you know that.

Where do you plan on staying ? Hotel rooms in Kodai are a NO-NO! Simply because it doesnt allow you to enjoy the place. Try and stay at the numerous cottages that are around the place.

p.s : Salem/Namakkal route would be my suggestion as the Palani route we encountered HORRIBLE roads along most of the drive.

Church of South India (CSI) offers cottages for dirt cheap but I dont recommend this to most people as it is dirty, dated and not very comfortable. But it has its own charm.

Elvier cottage is a good option and is located just behind the Kodaikanal Club. Try it.. its out of a fairytale. I havent stayed here myself but definately recommend this.

Have a good trip

Last edited by s0uljah : 12th July 2006 at 20:30.
Old 12th July 2006, 20:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ighlight=kodai

Thought you might like to read that thread as well. Some nice pics from Rehaan.
Old 12th July 2006, 22:51   #10
BHPian

Thanks S0ul...
I had searched the forum for 'Kodaikanal' so this thread didnt show up.. It says Kodai
I will be staying at the Golf Club..

Bruce, sorry, I effectively hijacked your thread, but will pay for it by info on Kodai
Old 17th July 2006, 14:39   #11
BHPian

OK.. Got back from Kodai yday evening.. Great place.. absolutely enjoyed it.. Will try to write a report later..

AK, S0ul: took your suggested route.. No major poblems on this road.. Just watch out for a couple of bad stretches:

a. Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri
b. 20 KM before Karur

These have potholes that can wreck a car.. (a) also is very accident prone.. We have a fellow TBHPian's case and I saw a NHC under a truck yday :(.. so go slow on this stretch.

The rest of the road is fine and I was able to do a comfortable 100+ kmph consistently.. 9 hours, 500KM each way including the Kodai hill section..

For fuel+food I would recommend you to stick to Reliance and A1.. Almost all the Reliance stations have A1 plazas operational now.. Good food in clean surroundings..
Old 20th July 2006, 21:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nitin, good to know you had a satisfactory holiday !

a. Krishnagiri - dharmapuri

My friend was driving back during this stretch and hit a pothole at breakneck speed,
my poor car and not to mention the end of my tyre and a badly bent rim :(

Good to know about the reliance A1's

Last edited by s0uljah : 20th July 2006 at 21:46.
Old 25th July 2006, 12:19   #13
BHPian

Thanks S0ul...
Yes, some potholes are real bad.. big and deep enough to swallow a small car.. Too bad about your tyre and rim.. Driving the Safari was worth it on this stretch.. it takes most potholes in its stride..

I found out Reliance have increased their Diesel prices.. Now it is 2.5 Rs higher than PSU diesel !!!.. But still, I stuck with Reliance fuel..
Old 25th July 2006, 18:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce
Hi Frens!

I'm planning for a three day trip to any of these places, I have seen all of them, but not sure how the weather is at the moment...

The places are,
1. Goa
2. Ooty
3. Kodaikanal
4. Wayanad
5. Pondicherry

PLease can anyone provide more information on the road conditions and the weather at these places?
Thanks in advance...
Do not plan for ooty .. Its not worth going to that place any time in the year.... This weekend I visited that place and had planned to stay 2 nights and 3 days but cut short by trip to 1 day 1 night and came back.
Will be writting a Travelogue very soon on my trip.
Old 25th July 2006, 19:04   #15
BHPian

moreover, Don't do hotel booking by Phone or Net. This is off season and most of the hotels are looking for Visitors.
Better look out for hotels and Lodes after reaching and negotiate hard to get a good deal.

I got 2 rooms in a 2 star hotel at Rs 700 Only. Owner/manager initially asked us for Rs 2500 For 2 rooms. This time of the year they don't want to loose customers to other Hotels.
Happy touring
GD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks