Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 19:46   #31
BHPian

Thanks for you suggestions guys, what about the relaxation part, do we get a decent, soothing and relaxing massage therapy anywhere around Malnad or Waynad.

I was thinking about Goa too as i had never been there so far, do you guys suggest travelling 750Kms is worth it ?

Its not only Goa, It can be any place which should be worth the time spent on travelling, please suggest.

Cheers

Last edited by 2500cc : 30th April 2010 at 19:47. Reason: Adding More
Old 11th December 2012, 16:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

North/central Karnataka Location Options

Guys
Please provide your valuable suggestions for the below plan am making for a 7 day road trip from Chennai.

Day 1 - Start from Chennai. Plan is to reach some place within 500-600kms of highway driving distance somewhere in North-Central Karnataka. Looking for some place with good family acco/food with some adventure sports option to keep my son also engaged

Day2-Day4 - Spent at the above location with option to roam around in a 100km radius

Day 5 - Drive down to Hyderabad
Day 7 - Drive from Hyd to Chennai

Reason I am looking for a place in North/Central Karnataka is the proximity to Hyderabad where I have to go to drop my mom.

A look at the map shows up places like Hampi in Karnataka and Anantapur in AP. Need your valuable inputs to know which place i should set up base camp and then travel around

Thanks a lot
Old 11th December 2012, 16:42   #33
BHPian

Re: North/central Karnataka Location Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Plan is to reach some place within 500-600kms of highway driving distance somewhere in North-Central Karnataka. Looking for some place with good family acco/food with some adventure sports option to keep my son also engaged

Reason I am looking for a place in North/Central Karnataka is the proximity to Hyderabad
Dandeli and Gokarna are good options to consider if adventure sports is what you're after. Hyderabad is 600 km from there.

Last edited by vinu_h : 11th December 2012 at 16:45.
Old 11th December 2012, 16:50   #34
BHPian

Hubli can be one of the places. You can also try to visit Badami/ Pattadkal and continue on your journey to Hyderabad. Belgaum is also an option but I rule it out as it will be away from your next destination.
Old 11th December 2012, 17:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Dandeli and Gokarna are good options to consider if adventure sports is what you're after. Hyderabad is 600 km from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Hubli can be one of the places. You can also try to visit Badami/ Pattadkal and continue on your journey to Hyderabad. Belgaum is also an option but I rule it out as it will be away from your next destination.
Thanks Guys, but these locations are more towards Western Karnataka and are abpout 700-800kms from Chennai. Thats too much distance to travel on a single day. Was looking for something closer. Will any way keep my options open
Old 11th December 2012, 17:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys, but these locations are more towards Western Karnataka and are abpout 700-800kms from Chennai. Thats too much distance to travel on a single day. Was looking for something closer. Will any way keep my options open
Bellary/ Raichur is also an option to consider. Distance is not so much. Raichur will probably be not as hot in summer during this time of the year
Old 11th December 2012, 17:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Please provide your valuable suggestions for the below plan am making for a 7 day road trip from Chennai.

Day 1 - Start from Chennai. Plan is to reach some place within 500-600kms of highway driving distance somewhere in North-Central Karnataka. Looking for some place with good family acco/food with some adventure sports option to keep my son also engaged

Day2-Day4 - Spent at the above location with option to roam around in a 100km radius

Day 5 - Drive down to Hyderabad
Day 7 - Drive from Hyd to Chennai

Reason I am looking for a place in North/Central Karnataka is the proximity to Hyderabad where I have to go to drop my mom.

A look at the map shows up places like Hampi in Karnataka and Anantapur in AP. Need your valuable inputs to know which place i should set up base camp and then travel around

Thanks a lot
Best bet is Hampi.Stay at Royal Orchid Kireeti or Malligi both are good.Chennai-Hospet can be done in a single day.Chennai-Bangalore-Chitradurga-Hospet.From there to Hyd is another 7 hour drive via Raichur-NH7-Hyd.Back to Chennai via Vijayawada which is 4 laned now and is a 3hour drive from Hyd and from thereon via Nellore-Chennai which is a 6 hour drive from VJA.Jungle Lodges at Hampi is also good.
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

What route for a 5 day driving holiday staring from Bangalore?

Hi Everyone.

Me and my family (mother, wife & daughter) are planning a short South Indian driving vacation from 25th Feb to 1st March. What would be the best route to do South India?

Please note:

- We stay in Jalandhar, Punjab. This will be our first time in South India if you discount short stays in Bangalore. (Funnily though I drive a KA registered car in Punjab)

- We will be starting from Bangalore on the 25th Feb (Monday) and have to return to Bangalore on the night of 1st March (Friday). The roundabout trip should be 1200 to 1300kms or less - the wife being the spoil sport.

- We will be more interested in visiting the natural places, as opposed to cultural ones.

- My daughter will be just 5 months old then. And also that it would be an all female cabin minus me, I would avoid the routes less taken and will restrict to day driving. ( Also how safe are South Indian roads in this aspect?)

- Will be renting a self driven Etios

- Along with the route, would be grateful for suggestions for night stay.

Please advise. Look forward to your inputs.
Cheers!

Last edited by rrsteer : 2nd January 2013 at 15:30.
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:26   #39
BHPian

Re: What route for a 5 day driving holiday staring from Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Everyone.

Me and my family (mother, wife & daughter) are planning a short South Indian driving vacation from 25th Feb to 1st March. What would be the best route to do South India?

Cheers!
Tricky, given the time, distance and the season. I ruled out TN because it'd be quite hotter at that time. I've attempted this:

Day 1: Bangalore-Munnar (Hill Station, 450+kms 9hrs)
Day 2: Visit tea gardens and other attractions around Munnar
Day 3: Munnar-Kabini (Wild life sanctuary, 350+kms 8hrs), Safari etc.,
Day 4: Kabini-Mangalore (Beach, 250+Kms, 6hrs), Relax in a beach resort
Day 5: Mangalore-Belur-Halebidu-Bangalore (Heritage, 400kms)

The total comes to about 1400+kms. Once the places are fixed there is enough expertise in the forum to reco places of stay.

Thanks,

Prasad
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:32   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
The total comes to about 1400+kms. Once the places are fixed there is enough expertise in the forum to reco places of stay.
@rrsteer, Prasad has given very good choices. But what I would suggest is you choose one or two of them and then enjoy these places in entirety.

If you are centered around Munnar then Munnar/Thekkady is a good option 3+1 for each and the rest for lazy drives.

If around Ooty, you can do Mysore/Ooty/Bandipur/ooty/conoor depending and what you select.

With Mysore as the focus, you can also do Mysore/Kabini/Coorg

With Hassan as focus, you can do Sakleshpur/Belur/Helibidu/Chikmagulur.

So I guess you need to choose a circle of places and then build your plan.
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers!
You can also plan these places.

Day1 : BLR - Hampi (~320kms)
Day2 : Hampi
Day3: Hampi to Karwar via Hubli (~250kms)
Day4: Karwar
Day5: Karwar - Sirsi - Banavasi - Jog Falls (don't expect any water falls during that season, would be pretty dry) - Shimoga (~250kms)
Day6: Shimoga - BLR (300kms)

You can also plan this route instead going via Shimoga
Karwar - Gokarna - Murudeshwara - Udupi - Mangalore (~300kms)

Mangalore - Bangalore (~350kms)
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone.

- My daughter will be just 5 months old then. And also that it would be an all female cabin minus me, I would avoid the routes less taken and will restrict to day driving. ( Also how safe are South Indian roads in this aspect?)

- Will be renting a self driven Etios

- Along with the route, would be grateful for suggestions for night stay.

Cheers!
I would suggest you travel less and enjoy more as you have a infant. Below would be my recommendation as you would like to visit more natural places.

Day 1. Bangalore - Kabini (~275 kms/6 Hrs). You should reach Kabini by 1 PM if you start early say around 6.30 AM. Stay for the night at any of the resorts in Kabini as all are good. My recommendation is Jungle Lodges and Resorts or Orange County. Enjoy your 2 safari's (1 safari on the the evening of Day 1 and the 2nd in the morning of day 2). As you have planned your trip in Feb end, chances of spotting the predators are more.

Day 2 & 3. Kabini - Waynad (~75 Kms/1.5 hrs). Spend 2 days in Waynad. You can search for more information on Waynad in our Travelouges section.

Day 4. Waynad - Madikeri/Coorg (~120 Kms/2.5 Hrs). You have entire day for sightseeing. Overnight at any Homestay.

Day 5. Coorg - Bangalore (~250 kms/6 Hrs). You can probably do a little sight seeing in Mysore on the way.

Hope this helps.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Tricky, given the time, distance and the season. I ruled out TN because it'd be quite hotter at that time. I've attempted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

So I guess you need to choose a circle of places and then build your plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post

You can also plan this route instead going via Shimoga
Karwar - Gokarna - Murudeshwara - Udupi - Mangalore (~300kms)

Mangalore - Bangalore (~350kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
I would suggest you travel less and enjoy more as you have a infant. Below would be my recommendation as you would like to visit more natural places.
Thank you for your responses.

After your suggestions, I searched them up on the internet and found Coorg, Conoor & Kabini to be more appealing.

I would like to do this :
Day 1 - Bangalore - Conoor
Day 2- Conoor & places nearby
Day 3- Conooor- Kabini
Day 4- Kabini - Coorg
Day 5- Coorg - Bangalore

The total round trip comes to 841 km as per google. The only problem with this is that I feel rather than Conoor it is Coorg that warrants a 2 night stay. I included 2 nights for Conoor because of a 2 night package that I am getting from Taj.

The next alternate, which I feel allow me to soak in the beauty & aroma of South India more will be:

Day 1- Bangalore - Kabini
Day2- Kabini
Day 3 - Kabini-Coorg
Day 4- Coorg
Day 5 - Coorg- Bangalore

When I plan like this, I feel I am being lazy and missing out on a few places that ought to be visited.

Also another route on my mind is Bangalore-Pondicherry-Mahabaleshwaram and back.

What do you guys think is best?

Meanwhile I am going to read a few books on the geography of South India. Nothing major - but something on the lines of 12th std NCERT books.

Also the planning has begun on a good note. I got air tickets booked for 3 adults & an infant from Chandigarh to Bangalore and back at a very reasonable rate - a shade under Rs 28K/-

Then got a good hotel (booked online) in Bangalore for 4 nights at just Rs 7.8k (inclusive of wifi & breakfast). Last time the same hotel for a 3 night stay had costed Rs 18k/-.

Cheers!
Old 24th May 2016, 16:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Need help on finalizing holiday location!

Folks,

I need some help in deciding place for a vacation planned during last week of July. Planned during that time as the places will not be crowded and also it wont be very hot. Our primary requirements are to have a peaceful and relaxing environment & yes beach as well! Also since its only me and my wife travelling, safety is also a must at the resort!

Please suggest any good places considering the above mentioned factors plus that we will be driving down to the place.
Old 24th May 2016, 16:26   #45
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need help on finalizing holiday location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I need some help in deciding place for a vacation planned during last week of July. Planned during that time as the places will not be crowded and also it wont be very hot. Our primary requirements are to have a peaceful and relaxing environment & yes beach as well! Also since its only me and my wife travelling, safety is also a must at the resort!

Please suggest any good places considering the above mentioned factors plus that we will be driving down to the place.
Beach and the place not being warm, tough combo
But do look at Kovalam, Varkala, Poovar Island/Estuary, Bekal. All these are nice places, July will also mean not too crowded as the school vacations will be over plus some rain as well at some of these places

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks