Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 19:13   #1
BHPian

Jaipur to Simla - what route?

Hi,

My family will be driving from Jaipur to Barog (short of Simla) for a short vacation, next weekend. 4 adults with a mean age of 63 yrs and a youngster who's a young adult with special needs. Given the terrible traffic conditions on NH 8 between Jaipur to Delhi (specially around the Kotputli flyover) what is the best route - in terms of time taken and facilities - clean restrooms, decent food and accommodation en route. Some possibilities I'm aware of below. Pls. share your inputs on road conditions and feasibility.

1. Stick to usual : NH 8 via Shahpura, Kotputli, Behror, Dharuhera and Gurgaon to Delhi and NH 1 via Panipat, Kurukshetra and Karnal to Ambala and onwards via NH 21/22 via Panchkula, Parwanoo and Dharampur to Barog

2. NH 11: Jaipur to Fatehpur via Chomu and Sikar. NH 65 via Churu, Rajgarh, Hissar and Kaithal to Ambala. Same as above post.

3. NH 11 to Sikar via Chomu. SH via Jhunjhunu, Chirawa, Loharu and Bhiwani to Rohtak. NH 71 A via Gohana to Panipat. Same route as in 1. from thereon.

3. NH 11 to Bamanpura via Dausa, Megahighway via Alwar and Tijara to Bhiwadi. Hit NH 8 at Dharuhera and continue to Delhi via Gurgaon. Route from Delhi same as in 1. above

4. NH 11 to Bharatpur via Dausa and Mahua. SH to Mathura and further to hit Yamuna Expressway. Onwards to Delhi via NOIDA. Route from Delhi remains same

5. Same as 4. except take NH 2 via Palwal and Faridabad to Delhi.

Any other better option most welcome as well!
Old 19th June 2014, 21:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Jaipur to Simla - what route?

Option 1 is the better route, but you have to time your travel. Avoid entering Delhi in the evening when the traffic is heavy. If you start your drive from Jaipur at about 0600, you can expect to be in Delhi by 1100, by which time the peak traffic would eased. In addition, the highway between Jaipur and Delhi is better now than earlier. I last travelled on this route in early March 2014 from Delhi to Ahmedabad. I left Delhi at 1000 hours and reached Jaipur by 1300 hours. If you travel on Sunday, like I did, then the office traffic is absent. Use the ring road in Delhi to connect to the Panipat road. The advantage of using this route is that you can travel faster as most of it is four laned.

The other routes are two laned and pass through towns and will slow you down.

So, I would advice option 1. It may take a minimum of ten hours to reach Barog depending on your speed.

Have a great trip

Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 10:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest option 4. Wonderful roads all the way, and unless you hit Delhi in office time, no real traffic to crawl through.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 10:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Route 3 is best;Highway to Rohtak and Panipat is amazing and devoid of any traffic.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 12:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

In terms of facilities one still cannot beat the normal route between Jaipue and Dilli.

Also the road that you mention as a Mega highway between Alwar and Bhiwadi is just an ordinary toll road. Certainly better than the single lane battered road it used to be but again just a normal toll road. The megahighway out of RJ goes from Kishangarh to Bhatinda.

Do note that in Dilli the current perpetual traffic snarl is Dhaula Kuan to Punjabi Bagh on account of metro work. ORR from Vikas puri to Shalimar Bagh on account of elevated corridor construction.

Further on option 5, the the Palwal Faridabad route the highway has been reduced to a suburban road with Choc a bloc traffic throughout the day and the stretch from Badarpur to Friends colony is again jammed up for better part of the day.

The option of using the Yamuna expressway sounds good too but then the options 2 & 3 are better depending on the condition of the internal roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin Mathur View Post
Hi,

My family will be driving from Jaipur to Barog (short of Simla) for a short vacation, next weekend. 4 adults with a mean age of 63 yrs and a youngster who's a young adult with special needs. Given the terrible traffic conditions on NH 8 between Jaipur to Delhi (specially around the Kotputli flyover) what is the best route - in terms of time taken and facilities - clean restrooms, decent food and accommodation en route. Some possibilities I'm aware of below. Pls. share your inputs on road conditions and feasibility.

3. NH 11 to Bamanpura via Dausa, Megahighway via Alwar and Tijara to Bhiwadi. Hit NH 8 at Dharuhera and continue to Delhi via Gurgaon. Route from Delhi same as in 1. above

5. Same as 4. except take NH 2 via Palwal and Faridabad to Delhi.

Any other better option most welcome as well!
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 12:59   #6
BHPian

Have you researched the route from Jaipur-Kotputli-Rewari-Rohtak-Panipat-Chandigarh-Simla.

From Jaipur-Kotputli, I am not clear, but from Kotputli-Rewari, its nh-8, Rewari-Panipat the road is newly laid toll road.

You can save a lot of time, plus cut the chaos of Rewari-Delhi-Panipat.
deepfusion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 01:38   #7
BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs. This one should've been a no brainer but the damage to the flyover in Kotputli - between Jaipur and Delhi, has put a spanner in the works. @Deepfusion Thanksfor the heads up on Rewari - Panipat guess you're recommending it to avoid Delhi. Trouble is to get to Rewari you should logically take NH 8 via Kotputli! Alternatively the Dausa -Bamanpura - RAjgarh - Alwar - Tiajara - Dharuhera route, which also apparently is an issue now since I hear heavy vehicles are using this route to avoid NH 8. @Khoj, thanks for the tip on Palwal - Faridabad. the Megahighway I was mentioning is the Sikandra - Alwar one (http://www.ridcor.in/phase-1_3.html), beyond Alwar is the old route as you mentioned. @akshay4587 what about the Sikar-Jhunjhunu-Chirawa-Loharu-Bhiwani-Rohtak stretch? @predatorwheelz - thanks a bunch, only trouble is it adds 112 kms to a 270 kms journey (Jaipur - Delhi) also, any clue on road conditions between Bharatpur and Mathura? @SajiNsalin - thanks I was also thinking whether the effort to look for an alternative is really worth it. I fear though that the Kotputli issue cropped up pretty recently and you wouldn't have faced it in March (I didn't in May), since Jaipur - Delhi is taking about 9 hours, am guessing Delhi -Barog will be another 6-7! Appreciate all help and support. Look forward to more inputs from folks who've done these routes.
Nitin Mathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 10:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

I am not aware of flyover delays but this being a major highway there must be some alternate arrangement , unless the delays are over 1/2 hour or so continue on NH8 & take this new Toll Road from Bawal . You will meet NH1 just before Panipat passing through , Jhajjar & Rohtak - completely new toll Road .

[https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pani...9!2d26.9124165

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st June 2014 at 10:07.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 14:18   #9
BHPian

No better route than what Turbanator referred. Freshly laid Tarmac with almost no traffic.

Bawal to panipat will be around 4 hours run.
mr_hardcore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 00:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey, thanks for the Alwar Sikandra information. So this opens up another corridor for going to Agra for Dilliwalas*. Though am not sure if it would be all right for travel during the late and early hours given its proximity to the infamous Mewat.

* Am I correct in my understanding that this is the Same Sikandra on NH11, that houses the Tomb of Akbar?

Anyhow, could you elaborate on the Kotputli traffic issues, I myself am travelling to Jaipur in the coming week and any inputs will help.

Quote:
I fear though that the Kotputli issue cropped up pretty recently and you wouldn't have faced it in March (I didn't in May), since Jaipur - Delhi is taking about 9 hours,
Old 26th June 2014, 13:13   #11
BHPian

@ Khoj: No, the Sikandra I mention is between Dausa and Mahua, the precise turnoff is at a village called Bamanpura. Not an alternative at all for Delhi - Agra, although worth looking at for Delhi-Jaipur in order to cover the magnificent 7th century Baoli (stepwell) at Abhaneri. @Turbanator -thanks for the heads up on the Rewari - Rohtak - Panipat.

Kotputli Flyover has apparently developed cracks and its taking three hours or more to cross. My folks took Jaipur - Dausa-Bamanpura - Bandikui - Alwar -Tijara - Bawal - Gurgaon - Delhi. Took 6 hours road and traffic conditions were fine.

@mr_hardcore - Thanks for the heads up. Folks are on their way back today and have let them know they can use Panipat - Rohtak - Rewari - Bawal on the way back to avoid Delhi.

Last edited by Nitin Mathur : 26th June 2014 at 13:19.
Old 27th June 2014, 00:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nitin, thanks for the information.

So, we too did the Dilli Jaipur run today. Started at 10.30ish in the morning from South Dilli and reached Jaipur Marriott at approx 05.30 pm. This includes nearly 2 hours of stoppage time for meal brakes and toll plaza wait delays.

At Kotputli the carriageway from Jaipur to Dilli has some issues, while the other side i.e. Dilli to Jaipur is operational. The local police are releasing traffic from the two directions alternatively. We were very lucky as in when we reached Kotputli the traffic was flowing towards Jaipur and soon after we cleared the bridge, the traffic was opened from the other direction. Another 10 minutes and we would have been stuck for God knows how long as the traffic jam on the other side was 2+ Kms. long.

For our return, we too are contemplating going via Bamanpura/Sikandra Alwar route. Let us see which one we finally take.

Quote:
@ Khoj: No, the Sikandra I mention is between Dausa and Mahua, the precise turnoff is at a village called Bamanpura. Not an alternative at all for Delhi - Agra, although worth looking at for Delhi-Jaipur in order to cover the magnificent 7th century Baoli (stepwell) at Abhaneri. @Turbanator -thanks for the heads up on the Rewari - Rohtak - Panipat.

Kotputli Flyover has apparently developed cracks and its taking three hours or more to cross. My folks took Jaipur - Dausa-Bamanpura - Bandikui - Alwar -Tijara - Bawal - Gurgaon - Delhi. Took 6 hours road and traffic conditions were fine.
Old 3rd September 2023, 14:32   #13

Jaipur to Shimla in a low GC German Sedan

Dear fellow BHPians!

This is my first post on here, and super glad to be a part of this resourceful community. I hope to seek some help, and vice-versa with my limited knowledge about cars.

I am planning to visit Shimla with my fiancé, and was wondering if anyone happens to know how the current situation of the roads are, from Jaipur-Shimla? With the new Delhi/Mumbai expressway, I don't think it should be a problem till Chandigarh, but was more concerned about the journey from Chandigarh to Shimla. I often find my cars belly touching the bumpers/pot holes since it has low GC. I don't want to be putting myself in the same situation, since this always hurts right in the middle of the heart (I'm sure some of you low sedan riders would be able to relate).

Anyone who has done this route recently, or can give some information? We're planning to stay at Wildflower Hall and as far as I know, this is about 10 kms further ahead from Shimla.

Cheers!
Old 5th September 2023, 16:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinoyR View Post

Anyone who has done this route recently, or can give some information? We're planning to stay at Wildflower Hall and as far as I know, this is about 10 kms further ahead from Shimla.
The Chandigarh Shimla section was ok with a few roads being reduced from 4 lanes to a single lane. I did this section on 18th August. I don’t think you’ll have the issue of scrapping a sedan on this section at the moment. A crucial section of the highway before Wildflower, Theog was washed away and is served by a single way temporary bridge.

If possible to cancel, I would advise to move your plan to some other place and not to not put additional pressure on the resources there. Although the people there were welcoming us, it is up to you to take a call.
zurura023 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:20   #15

Hi!

Thanks for this info Zurura - very helpful. I think it would be best if we wait it out for a little more time and take a call just few days before the planned trip. I am in hopes that the roads will get better by the last week.

I don't want to put stress on the resources there, or my car. One of my other contacts from Shimla mentioned the roads are being reconstructed so hopefully time will tell

I shall keep you guys updated!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks