Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 12:56   #1
BHPian

Interesting places around / beyond Houston?

Hey folks, can you please suggest me good places to visit (driving down) and stay over the weekend from Houston, Texas? I am there during the first week of July and got a extended weekend and would like to explore some good places around outside Houston! Please suggest!!
Old 24th June 2014, 20:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Interesting places around / beyond Houston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Hey folks, can you please suggest me good places to visit (driving down) and stay over the weekend from Houston, Texas? I am there during the first week of July and got a extended weekend and would like to explore some good places around outside Houston! Please suggest!!
San Antonio is a great place to visit for a weekend. The river(actually a canal) walk in the late evening is good,the walk way has some of best mexican restaurants. Seaworld is really cool book on internet for a good discount, kids would certainly love the shows. Make a point to visit fire museum. On the way cover "Natural Bridge Caverns" which is worth the visit, if you have not seen one near Lake Shasta Caverns in North California(the best I have seen).
Note that there would random documents check, as it is very near to Mexican Border, so have your papers in order

Also Austin is a good place to visit for weekend. Especially if you love music and Mexican food. The downtown is cool for a friday/saturday night, but not much to do.

Last edited by manjubp : 24th June 2014 at 20:07.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 22:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Also Austin is a good place to visit for weekend. Especially if you love music and Mexican food. The downtown is cool for a friday/saturday night, but not much to do.
Thanks buddy! Yes, Austin is the option for now! But as you said, there isnt much to do is what the general opinion is
Old 24th June 2014, 22:08   #4
BHPian

If it is Austin, I would recommend Embassy Suites Austin, Downtown/Townlake. Rooms are great, walkable distance to sixth street. Good parking near downtown.

Another good place in Omni Austin, Southpark on Governors Row. Near to shopping place but away from downtown.

Some of my favorite resturants, which I would recommend

1. Hula Hut, Lake Austin Blvd
2. Chuys Restaurant (Local food chain, best one was on Barton Spring Rd)
3. Claypit, in downtown

Last edited by manjubp : 24th June 2014 at 22:17.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 23:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
I know NASA Space Center is a major attraction in Houston.

For other places to visit, check this link - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ton_Texas.html.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 14:06   #6
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Around Houston - you can visit the NASA space Center and also visit Galveston (it's a nice drive to the place as well).

San Antonio and Austin are good for visits if you have the time.
In Austin you could visit Lake Travis, Lake Austin, Austin downtown area, Zilker Park, The Congress Bridge - visit this place at Dusk to see bats it's an amazing experience, watch a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse, Factory outlets at San Marcos and Premium outlet at Round Rock are good too.

Last edited by NPV : 25th June 2014 at 14:09.
Old 25th June 2014, 14:21   #7
BHPian

Go to Texas World Speedway and see if you can do some sessions. About 3hrs drive from Houston. I had awesome fun there.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 15:59   #8
BHPian

I can recommend Sea World in San Antonio and Riverwalk. Have been there for couple of days. River walk is nice to go in evening as well. As someone above recommended, book tickets on internet for sea world, you will get discount. Get ready to get wet there. Some rides splash too much water. There are locker facilities near such rides if you desire to have them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks