Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2014, 17:18   #1
BHPian

Got a speeding ticket from New Zealand

Hi,

Three full months after I returned from my NZ road-trip, I've got a traffic violation notice (by post) from the Ministry of Justice, NZ, asking me to cough-up NZD 60 (about 3000). They probably got my address thru the car rental company. The fine would increase by NZD100 if I won't pay it by 14-Sep, as they'd take it to court.

Now, I'd pay-up this amount as I plan to visit that beautiful country again, though I feel a little short-changed as it came so-late and I really followed all the rules and I've no option but to trust their speed-guns.

Just as a curiosity, has anyone recd similar notices (either from NZ police or from some other countries) long after they are back in India? What really happens if we don't pay or for some reason the notice sent over normal post is not reached for that matter?

Mods: I did search for an appropriate thread, couldn't find any.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 17:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Got a speeding ticket from New Zealand

Quote:
I've got a traffic violation notice (by post) from the Ministry of Justice, NZ, asking me to cough-up NZD 60 (about 3000). They probably got my address thru the car rental company. The fine would increase by NZD100 if I won't pay it by 14-Sep, as they'd take it to court
You should pay this. Most of the time you can pay it online, else send them a draft by post. In case you don't, they may charge to Rental company instead of taking the matter to any court. Rental company will then charge this to your Card which you must have given while taking rental. It's not a good idea to keep liabilities specially from Government side

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2014 at 15:31. Reason: Typos
Turbanator is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 18:06   #3
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,

Now, I'd pay-up this amount as I plan to visit that beautiful country again, though I feel a little short-changed as it came so-late and I really followed all the rules and I've no option but to trust their speed-guns.

Prasad
Instead of feeling short-changed for receiving the fine late, look at it in a positive sense that youve been given a longer credit period!

But if you are sure that you havent committed a traffic violation there will be a mechanism that allows you to contest the claim - though I suspect the process may set you back by an amount larger than this fine considering that you are no longer in NZ.
Zed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 20:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you think you 'might' have done a traffic violation, 3000 INR is a pittance. But if you are sure you have not violated any rules, you can counter it, usually there are means to do so. Just check with their official website.

Spike
Old 7th September 2014, 23:06   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,

Three full months after I returned from my NZ road-trip, I've got a traffic violation notice (by post) from the Ministry of Justice, NZ, asking me to cough-up NZD 60 (about 3000). They probably got my address thru the car rental company. The fine would increase by NZD100 if I won't pay it by 14-Sep, as they'd take it to court.

Pay it and close the matter buddy.

If you think you haven't committed the offence then do ask the officials and they'll definitely have the proof for the violation which should make things easier.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 23:14   #6
BHPian

Hi mate,

my story - no violation during the two year stay in Canada, but received a parking violation in my last week.
I contested, filled the form at Mto. and flew back.

followed with my address in Canada for any court date mail, nada.

why because if you pay up you accept the violation, and which may be on file, even on your next visit.

fight it out and 9 out of 10 times the officer will not show up for a small case in court due to overload.

hire a traffic lawer in the area of violation or the government email will have details of how to contest a ticket.

NZ Police Infringement link.
https://forms.police.govt.nz/forms/p...ment-bureau/26

http://m.wikihow.com/Fight-a-Parking-Ticket

Last edited by ritz3645 : 7th September 2014 at 23:29. Reason: NZ Infringment link added
ritz3645 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 23:16   #7
BHPian

I too was in a similar predicament and the over speeding incident took place in 2005 somewhere near frank Joseph glacier. I was given 15 days to credit 200 NZD (10k) into an account. I was in India by that time and forgot about it. I got a reminder after a couple of months on the address with in my DL. They followed up for a couple of years and I got 2-3 mails (1 every year). Now I don't have any mails coming and considering I don't plan to go again in the best future I have decided to let it be.
Old 8th September 2014, 11:13   #8
BHPian

Better to reply to the notice in written and pay the fine. It is best to avoid any bench warrants/judgement against you.
BBR_SHR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 11:59   #9
BHPian

I had faced the exact same situation in 2012. Check link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2955404

Even I received the speed ticket through post, two months after I returned from Melbourne. I had to pay 176 AUD for a speed breach of 2km/hr. I immediately paid up the fine as I need to do business travel to Aus. Didn't want to end up on the wrong side of things.

Ended up in a similar situation in NZ last year. I was driving from Wellington to Rotorua in the night. We were crossing through a barren area with the stipulated speed limit of 100kmph, so had set the cruise control at 98kmph. All of a sudden I see a cop car behind me, asking me to stop. The cop came and asked me what speed I was going at, I said 98 kmph. Then came the shocker, he told me that I had over sped by almost 100% through a small stretch of 50m or so where the speed limit dropped from 100kmph to 50kmph. Actually, some minor construction work was going on during the day time on that darn stretch and a temporary board with 50kmph limit was put on the side of the road which none of us in the car could spot. So we continued going at the set speed.

Result.. I received a ticket for an insane amount of 630 NZD since I had over sped by 100%. I was asked to pay the fine at any Westpac branch. In case I didn't do so, I would be held at the immigration while exiting the country. Tried to reason things out with the cop but it wasn't any good. Left with no choice, paid up the fine upon my return to Wellington.

I feel the speed regulations in Aus-NZ are too stringent and sometimes irrational.

Anyway, my advice is to just pay up and get done with it. 3000 INR is not a big amount to keep your record clean in case you plan to visit that country again.
champ27 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 12:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I received a ticket for an insane amount of 630 NZD since I had over sped by 100%.
Quote:
Actually, some minor construction work was going on during the day time on that darn stretch
Speed fine doubles in construction zone in most of countries

Quote:
a temporary board with 50kmph limit was put on the side of the road which none of us in the car could spot
I think it has more to do with our driving styles / behavior here . We look out so many other things in India , our brain is simply not looking at these signs . Once you start living outside for a while this changes .
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 12:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Please pay the fine, it is just Rs 3000/- some countries are really strict about such things and can tag you in their records. Next time when you even pass by that port, you can get pulled up. In other cases nothing might happen after few letters.

But whatever it is, it aint worth messing around with.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 12:30   #12
BHPian

I strongly suggest you to pay it off immediately. I am certain that cameras wont lie and its in your interest to have a clean record with all commonwealth nations. Let this not spoil your future vacation in some other friendly country.

I had to pay 80 GBPs fine in central London because I was one min late in a 2-hr parking zone, and I contested it for a long time - unsuccessfully. Though they were courteous, they were adamant that they would not refund 80 pounds.

If they have a DMV web-site on which you can appeal, try it. Otherwise, pay this charge and get it over with.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 12:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be to ask them for the proof and then pay up. You never know when you have the visit that country again and unlike India, I do not think the systems 'forget' about the fines.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 12:55   #14
BHPian

To all those who may have skipped paying the fine - even if you will not visit the country in question ever again, you are contributing to either making it more difficult or more expensive for us remaining Indians to visit said country. The locals may increase rates for Indians to hire, or more expensive insurance, or just start refusing giving rentals to Indians. Today a India DL is accepted by them, but with rise in such incidents, perhaps it may be taken off the list? Given enough incidents, such reactions are bound to happen.

Do excuse if you feel I have misunderstood the topic overall.

Prasad14 and others in this situation, please note that you MUST contest the fine if you are sure you have not committed the offence suggested. This is a seperate issue altogether.

Last edited by latentpotential : 8th September 2014 at 13:12. Reason: Word
latentpotential is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 13:06   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
To all those who may have skipped paying the fine - even if you will not visit the country in question ever again, you are contributing to either making it more difficult or more expensive for us remaining Indians to visit said country. The locals may increase rates for Indians to hire, or more expensive insurance, or just start refusing giving rentals to Indians. Today a India DL is accepted by them, but with rise in such incidents, perhaps it may be taken off the list? Given enough incidents, such reactions are bound to happen.

Do excuse if you feel I have misunderstood the topic overall.
Exactly my thoughts were also in the same lines. It is right thing to pay the fine or challenge the same. Going unanswered or ignoring the notice may not be the right thing to do.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed