Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 10:24   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Mysore route to become a 6-Lane Toll Road

B'lore-Mysore road to be tolled as per NHAI rules

Bangalore - Mysore route to become a 6-Lane Toll Road-dscf0123.jpg

The road connecting Bangalore to Mysore has been declared to be part of NH 275 and will be tolled road as per the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) rules and regulations.

But unlike the expressway to the Kempegowda International Airport, the Bangalore-Mysore stretch will have a toll-free service road all along on either side to help those who do not want to take the tolled road.

Seacon Pvt Ltd, a survey contracting firm, will carry out a survey of the stretch in two months, Public Works Department (PWD) Minister H C Mahadevappa said here on Monday.

“The road between Bangalore and Mysore—123 km long—will be a six-lane tolled stretch as per the NHAI 2008 toll policy,” Mahadevappa said. “But we will provide two service roads on either side.”

Read Full Article: HERE

Pictures Credit: MudMover
iVento is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 10:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore route to become a 6-Lane Toll Road

For the kind of obstacle course that his road is, they should pay us for using and even award people who are able to manage a quick, safe and relaxed drive.

OTOH, this road goes through some politically sensitive towns. It's best left alone and the NICE road be developed as a normal toll-road instead of the super-premium toll road that was said of it.
condor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 10:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Are they planning to collect the funds required for the expansion work by tolls? Wasn't there a ruling earlier by a court that Toll cannot be collected until the infrastructure is complete? And also there was another tolled expressway under construction between Blr-Mys, what happened to that, scrapped?
Old 9th September 2014, 10:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
“But we will provide two service roads on either side.”
so that the itch for the humps can be fulfilled there
::CMS:: is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 11:04   #5
BHPian

The planning was a total fail. Ramnagar, Channapatna, Mandya are big choke points that really needed bypasses. Too much humps and jumps. Its a nightmare to drive on this highway.

It needs to be six laned with extra service roads. Highway needs to be cordoned off. Too many trucks, local buses, dawdling two wheelers, tractors, autos.
Blue_V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 11:05   #6
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2014 at 16:54.
mav2000 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th September 2014, 11:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

The title of the thread is misleading.

According to the article, the highway will be upgraded to six lane by 2017-2018 and upon completion of the six lane highway, there will be applicable toll according to the NHAI norms.

Here is another news article on the same issue.
Bangalore-Mysore-highway-to-get-the-works
speedmiester is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 11:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Been through this Blr-Mys route during the last week of Aug.
While some stretches are too good, the pain of going through the "political" towns are tedious. I had to struggle not to get hit by other bullying vehicles.
The speed breakers are a nuisance as everyone knows, but some of them have been flattened intentionally and some have reduced over daily abuse.

What I personally feel is that this road can be widened and bypass should be built while approaching the towns.
This should reduce a major chunk of cost involved.
However, this is unlikely considering that the "poor' contractors would be upset.
Building a completely different NICE road is Okay, but that would be Private and Toll Charges would be super high, plus there would be mis-management being a private player.
When I travel on the existing NICE Road, I see racing, photo stops, crazy truckers, broken roads, etc. And I still have to pay a toll with all these.
With a Govt. road, I expect the Govt to put some check points and rules to manage the above complaints.

I am from Orissa and the Bhubaneswar - Puri (~60kms) was a painstaking route, similar to the Blr-Mys route, that too without median.
So they started widening the existing route and took deviation by bypasses outside the small towns enroute. Works like a charm now. A 2 hours journey has now become just 1hr 15 mins.
Old 9th September 2014, 11:22   #9
BHPian

Land acquisition would be a nightmare for this road widening exercise. Every person whose land needs to be acquired will suddenly become a poor farmer and every politician will throw their support behind him.
Personally, I see this as a non starter after the initial survey. I can imagine seeing headlines like "Poor farmers forced to give up fields so that bangalore yuppies can zip through to mysore in their cars".
Old 9th September 2014, 11:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Land acquisition would be a nightmare for this road widening exercise. Every person whose land needs to be acquired will suddenly become a poor farmer and every politician will throw their support behind him.
Personally, I see this as a non starter after the initial survey. I can imagine seeing headlines like "Poor farmers forced to give up fields so that bangalore yuppies can zip through to mysore in their cars".
AFAIK the same problems persist for the Bangalore Mysore Expressway. The land acquisition is a nightmare in this part of the world..Government should have done 10 years back . That would have been called planning.
Old 9th September 2014, 11:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that we regular Blore-Mysore commuters are getting a raw deal. On one side we have the six laning of the road, including flyovers at many spots ( construction IS going te be delayed a LOT) whereas the Blore-Kanakpura road will also undergo widening and the road will pretty much be ruined.

Its a bad time for South Bangaloreans to have Mysore as a native :(

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2014 at 16:56. Reason: Do NOT use abusive language, not even indirectly
Old 9th September 2014, 11:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

What should have been completed 10 years ago is being planned now. Their ambitious target of completion in 2017-18 is just a cruel joke on the people of this state. A damn flyover takes 2 years to complete in this city and they are talking of completing a ~130 kms stretch in 3-4 years? Though I like the proposal, I shudder to think if I have to use that road for getting somewhere.

I know that NH and SH are handled by different agencies, but then, I do not have a reason to be optimistic.
Old 9th September 2014, 12:35   #13
BHPian

This is bad news indeed. I can foresee crores of rupees being gobbled up in the name of land acquisition, planning, contracts etc. In the end this project will end up in the same limbo that the NICE road project ended up in.

If the government can acquire land for this project, they why not kickstart the NICE road project instead and complete it.

On the other hand, if this project does start, then the already choked highway is going to be in a far, far worse condition during the course of the construction due to numerous deviations and closed sections turning the highway into practically a single lane road.
Old 9th September 2014, 12:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Four laning of SH 17 was executed quickly around 2004, apart from few sections which got stuck due to various reasons the entire road was widened fast by Bangalore standards.

However regarding this new development I guess the road will first have to be notified as an NH, then NHAI will have to do a survey and then proceed with land notifications and then the civil work. Expecting this to get over even in 5 years will be stupidity.

Anyways, all the more reason to take NH 209 for now.
Old 9th September 2014, 16:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Anyways, all the more reason to take NH 209 for now.
How many works are they going to take up simultaneously? Earlier there were reports about the up-gradation of NH209 in to 4 lane. (Discussion HERE Now they want to upgrade SH 17 in to a 6 liner. In my opinion, they should leave the Kanakpura Road untouched and complete this project ASAP.

As Condor said, SH17 passes through some of the most sensitive towns. Acquiring farmers land is going to be a tough task.

Most Viewed