Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 15:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest you avoid Lansdowne at this point of time. Apart from the fact that NH58 is in poor condition, landslides and rain in the lower UK hills have made passing through very tricky. Unless, of course, you have a 4wd and are feeling exrtremely adventurous.
Old 12th September 2010, 20:12   #17
BHPian

Friends,
I have a road trip coming up. I plan to start with a hired car from Delhi airport and head for Najibabad. Then I come back to Shukartal, then to Kunjpura, then Panipat, Baghpat (Gauripur), Delhi. Which would be the best route to take in second half of October? I read about safety in a previous message. Which is a good town for a night halt?
Old 17th June 2011, 11:10   #18
BHPian

Re: Info needed about Lansdowne

Hi. I'm planning a trip to either Lansdowne or Mussoorie tomorrow with a very early morning departure (3 to 4 am). Have done Mussoorie previously, so this time I'm slightly biased towards Lansdowne. Would request the following information:

1. Suggested Route: Am okay with a detour/ a longer route if it means better roads or a more scenic drive.

2. Accomodation: I have not made any reservations. Given Lansdowne's relative lack of hotels, will this be a problem at this time of the year? Any pointers for places I should try and stay in?

3. Things to do/ see etc.

4. Lastly, what is the condition of the Mussoorie route? Did this last year in August, and the drive was horrible to say the least.

Please help! Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 11th February 2013, 13:06   #19
BHPian

Hello All

Has anyone driven to Lansdowne from Delhi recently? I want to know the best way to reach Bijnor (which is on the way) - is it through Meerut or around it?

I can see on Google maps that instead of going through Meerut city, I can take the bypass and turn right from Khatauli, which will directly take me Bijnor. But I don't know about the road conditions from Khatauli to Bijnor.

So, in case anybody knows, is it worth taking the bypass, or should I stick to Meerut city?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th February 2013, 14:58   #20
BHPian

Hi, best, fastest and most scenic route to Lansdowne is through Meerut. here's the route link: http://goo.gl/maps/WHZd7.

You can stop at MontyMilions on the way for a pit stop, they serve amazing pakodas and parathas and their washrooms are well maintained. Its essential when travelling with female companion or family.

Ideal time to leave for Lansdowne is: 4AM, so that you cross Meerut before 6 (before the public get onto the road), post that entire route is scenic.

Regarding accomodation, try staying at Oak Grove Inn (http://oakgroveinn.net/), its run by a retired Colonel and his wife. Very loving couple and they have a wonderful place with a very homely atmosphere. The place is 5 kms away from Lansdowne and offers amazing scenery. Let them know, that Kaustav referred you. Please book in advance with them, as they are very popular.

Give me a buzz if you need any other details.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:10   #21
BHPian

That's great info; many thanks. Will definitely come in handy. So, Meerut city it is!
Old 12th April 2013, 01:24   #22
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_trivedi View Post
That's great info; many thanks. Will definitely come in handy. So, Meerut city it is!
Hello C_Trivedi
Did you travel to Lansdowne? If yes could you please share some information with me. I am planning a trip next weekend to Lansdowne and would be much obliged.

What was the route you took?
How are the roads?
How long it took?
Things to do in and around Mukteshwar?
Anything special worth mentioning?
Old 15th April 2013, 12:51   #23
BHPian

I'm afriad that trip to Lansdowne never materialized! My wife and I were planning on going around end of Feb2013, but ended up visiting Sariska instead as I couldn't get away from office for a more than a weekend. However, I definitely plan to go this year, maybe around Nov2013 when winters start to set in.

I did however come across this thread on team-bhp which mentions the route and things to do (which you might've already seen) -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...idst-mist.html

This thread is almost 3 years old, but I think it should provide some info about the route at least.

Cheers!
Old 17th April 2013, 13:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Hello C_Trivedi
Did you travel to Lansdowne? If yes could you please share some information with me. I am planning a trip next weekend to Lansdowne and would be much obliged.

What was the route you took?
How are the roads?
How long it took?
Things to do in and around Mukteshwar?
Anything special worth mentioning?
Let me know what you need to know abut Lansdowne. That's like my 2nd home.
krazydriver84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 22:56   #25
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Let me know what you need to know abut Lansdowne. That's like my 2nd home.
Thanks krazydriver84

What is the best route from Delhi to Lansdowne (Oak Grove Inn)?
How are the roads?
How long it takes?
Things to do in and around Lansdowne?
Anything special worth mentioning
Old 18th April 2013, 15:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Thanks krazydriver84

What is the best route from Delhi to Lansdowne (Oak Grove Inn)?
How are the roads?
How long it takes?
Things to do in and around Lansdowne?
Anything special worth mentioning
Hi Isp

Road to take: Delhi Meerut highway. Enter meerut early in the morning. Go into the city and not the bypass. Ask directions for Jawahar nagar, from there take the Meerut mawana highway (NH 119) straight to Bijnor. From there to Kiratpur, and then onto Najibabad, Kotdwar. Remember to fill up at Kotdwar, coz there are no petrol stations post that. From Kotdwar, its hill climb to lansdowne. Rather than going up the lansdowne way, you can take the road towards Pauri and that will lead uptp Jaharikal (oak grove inn is there)

Roads are amazing.
It will take you around 5 hours with a 30 minute break at Monty Millions at Bijnor.
Nothing to do in Lansdowne, its a laze around place to enjoy the weather and the scenery. You can definitely go for treks. If you are staying at Oak Grove, you can ask the colonel to organize a trek down the hill to neighboring villages, for authentic uttarakhand food.
Old 21st August 2013, 16:09   #27
BHPian

Hey,

Any updates of the roads from delhi to lansdowne especially post the havoc created by rains in the recent Uttarakhand tragedy?

Regards
Old 11th October 2013, 13:29   #28
BHPian

Similar to what Grr7 has asked, any update on the roads from delhi to lansdowne post the Uttarakhand tragedy?

Also, is it unavoidable to go through Meerut? can a route also be taken from Khatauli to Bijnor which Google maps also shows?
Old 12th October 2013, 12:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Hi Isp

Road to take: Delhi Meerut highway. Enter meerut early in the morning. Go into the city and not the bypass. Ask directions for Jawahar nagar, from there take the Meerut mawana highway (NH 119) straight to Bijnor. From there to Kiratpur, and then onto Najibabad, Kotdwar. Remember to fill up at Kotdwar, coz there are no petrol stations post that. From Kotdwar, its hill climb to lansdowne. Rather than going up the lansdowne way, you can take the road towards Pauri and that will lead uptp Jaharikal (oak grove inn is there)

Roads are amazing.
Not surprised at the sudden spike in queries about Lansdowne, it certainly is one of the best and viable getaways from NCR. Also, its a good stepping stone for those who are not too much into hill driving. Just want to check if you've done any recent trips and would you still stand by your statement regarding the route above.
Old 15th October 2013, 10:48   #30
BHPian

I am leaving this Friday morning with family for one night stay at Lansdowne. Would come back to Noida on Saturday evening. Just a short weekend excursion.

Please somebody let me know how can Meerut city be avoided. I do not want to get stuck in Meerut morning traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks