Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2014, 14:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sea beaches in West Bengal & Orissa - Route & staying options?

Hi Sheel, as per our conversation over the phone am penning down the details from Purnea to Puri Via Tajpur.

Purnea- Tajpur, Approx- 615kms

Purnea to Bhagalpur (Hotel Vaivav inn) - 75 kms
Bhagalpur (Hotel Vaivav inn) to Dankuni 375kms
Dankuni to Tajpur- 165kms

After 20 kms from Massengore once you meet the Panagargh - Moregram Highyway take right and continue for 6 kms. Cross the Tilpara dam and after approximately 2 kms from there take the left road leaving the main highway. This road will lead you to Suri town. Cross Suri town. You will find two level crossings and go till Bolpur. After crossing the Suri town ask the locals for the road to Santiniketan/Bolpur as there will be one or two places where you might get confused on which road to take. Suri to Santiniketan is approximately 30 kms.

On entering Bolpur/Santiniketan go straight from a 4 way crossing. You will find a board mentioning Kolkata- 160kms . Still for confirming ask some one for the road to Burdwan via Bhedia. This road will take you till Burdwan 108 Shiva temple. 52kms from Bolpur. Take right and connect to Nh2. Go straight till Palshit join Durgapur expressway and the straight road will take you till Dankuni.

Now from Dankuni to Tajpur it will be 165kms approximately.

Cross Dankuni toll plaza and continue straight. You will get two signals. Go straight. Approximately after 4-5kms from toll plaza you will get a 'Y' junction just after crossing a small bridge over the railway lines. Take right. You are on Nh6. Drive for 55kms from the 'Y' junction you reach Kolaghat. At Kolaghat you will cross a 1 -2 kms long bridge. Slow down after that. As for Tajpur you have to take left soon after this. Land mark is you will find a flyover crossing over nh6. Take left below the flyover. Go straight till Nandakumar. From the left turn till Nandakumar, it will be approximately 25 kms. At Nandakumar you will find a round island. Take right and continue till Kathi. Take the right for kathi/Contai bypass and go straight till Chaulkhola. If you decide to go to Mandermani take left from here. Mandermani is 17kms. If Tajpur go for another 6kms and you will find a road on the left with an embankment. A board is there with Tajur on left marked. Take that road and go for 4kms you reach Tajpur.

Tajpur to Puri Approximately 400kms.

Tajpur to New Digha- 22kms
New Digha to Jaleshwar- 58kms
Jaleshwar to Balasore- 50 kms
Balasore to Puri- 270 kms.

Tajpur to Jaleshwar roads were not in good shape till August, right now i do not have the current information.
Jaleshwar to Balasore road is okay with intermittent diversion's and pot holes on Nh60. Once you reach Balasore then till Puri roads are good. Do not miss the Puri bypass before entering the Bhubeneswar city, it will save at least 40 minutes.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 21:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
After 20 kms from Massengore once you meet the Panagargh - Moregram Highyway take right and continue for 6 kms. Cross the Tilpara dam and after approximately 2 kms from there take the left road leaving the main highway. This road will lead you to Suri town. Cross Suri town. You will find two level crossings and go till Bolpur. After crossing the Suri town ask the locals for the road to Santiniketan/Bolpur as there will be one or two places where you might get confused on which road to take. Suri to Santiniketan is approximately 30 kms.
Ask for direction to a small town called Purandarpur. It is where you have to take a right turn for Bolpur, as the straight road goes to Ahmedpur.
Quote:
On entering Bolpur/Santiniketan go straight from a 4 way crossing. You will find a board mentioning Kolkata- 160kms . Still for confirming ask some one for the road to Burdwan via Bhedia.
In case you are confused, this place is called Sreeniketan More.
rahul4640 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 21:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
From the consensus, it appears, that Tajpur might be it, if we only go to Puri and return.
Tajpur appears to be overrun by tourists in the first week of January,2015 - no rooms available at all major hotels as of W/E Nov 8, 2014.
Old 17th November 2014, 10:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If by Himalayas, you are hinting at North India, then it will take time. But Sikkim will anyways be visited this winter.
Doesn't matter whether it is the "Greater" or the "Lesser" counterpart, as long as the Beast meets the Mountains!
Old 18th November 2014, 07:43   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Tajpur to Puri Approximately 400kms.

Tajpur to New Digha- 22kms
New Digha to Jaleshwar- 58kms
Jaleshwar to Balasore- 50 kms
Balasore to Puri- 270 kms.
I am tempted to take this route as it would bypass congested areas and I would be driving alongside the coast.

How are the roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
You got any time to visit the beaches recently, in case you got tired of seeing mountains?

And as said by most members about the crowd at various beaches, we have decided to alter our plan slightly. Instead of starting at the usual Christmas vacation, we plan to start on 2nd or 3rd of January. I expect it to be not as crowded.
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:33   #21
BHPian

Sheel , if you are going to Puri after Rambha , I would highly recommend that you take NH 5 from Rambha towards Vizag and take a left from Palur junction (8kms from Rambha). This very scenic route over the wetlands will take you to Janhikhuda ferryghat (about 60 kms from Rambha). From there you can put your vehicle on a ferry and cross over to Satapada over the Chilka. Chilka to Puri would be a short ride. The ride from Palur to Janhikhuda is very scenic for most of the way and then you get a 35/40 min ferry ride on the Chilka and might also see a dolphin or two if you are lucky.

Though it is not a beach I will also very strongly recommend Mongolajodi in winter . Even if you are not a birder, a dawn or dusk boat ride in the wetlands with thousands of birds will be a sight to remember. You can stay in Barkul and drive down to Mongolajodi (about 40 kms) , but I suggest a night's stay in the cottages around Mongolajodi for the dawn boat ride on the Chilka lake.

If you fancy some terrain , you can throw in Daringbadi to the mix as well.

I never got around to pen a travelogue but last winter I spent 2 weeks driving from Kolkata to Vizag / Aaraku, then back to Mongolajodi , then Daringbadi and on to Puri via the Palur - Janhikhuda- Chilka - Satapada route.
DriveTrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 09:07   #22
Team-BHP Support

Thanks DriveTrain

No ferry rides for us. As of now, our itenary is, to visit Deoghar, Tarapeeth on 1st day, stop at Tarapeeth. Then start for the sea beach. Reach sea beach by evening. Stay there for next day or move to another location if location is not good. Drive to Puri the next day & then, maybe to Konark.

And then we decide what to do. For return -

Start for Calcutta, stop at Dakshineswar temple and a small G2G with family at any place nearby (as we do not want to enter Calcutta) And then we will retrace our route back.

Going with own vehicle gives you the freedom to stop and move whenever & wherever you desire.

^ If you can pen a travelogue, please do one and I would wait for your NE travelogue. There are few members from NE, hope they see your query.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 23:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi there:
I am not from this region, but intend driving on this route in January - can anyone comment on the road conditions if you have recent (< 2 months ago) personal experience.
Sea beaches in West Bengal & Orissa - Route & staying options?-route-kolahatmandarmoni.jpg
Old 25th November 2014, 10:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Hi there:
I am not from this region, but intend driving on this route in January - can anyone comment on the road conditions if you have recent (< 2 months ago) personal experience.
Attachment 1311891
We did the trip in June this year. Although it was kind of pre-monsoon trip, the roads were good all the way. From Nandakumar onwards only you will find 2 lane roads, but they were good as well.
Here is my Tlog:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...andarmoni.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks