Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2014, 09:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

Sea beaches in West Bengal & Orissa - Route & staying options?

Hello everyone!

In the coming winter break, we have a week in hand to explore the sea beaches in & around Orissa & West Bengal.

The plan is not to visit touristy spots & spend some quality time.

While, at some point, it is mandatory for my folks to pay a visit to the Puri temple, but I want it to be a one day affair or stay somewhere close that we can make it to the temple in 1-2 hours and then drive back or at the best, stay that night at Puri, visit the temple & drive back.

Now, I have been reading about various beaches visited by our members from West Bengal, Orissa & Jharkhand.

Have been to Digha & it is crowded & at that time of the year, it will be packed.

Mandarmoni, Shankerpur, Chandipur, Bakkhali, Tajpur are the few names I have heard. Anything south of Puri? Worth..?

I am located at Purnia & believe I will have to drive till Suri (Sewri), post which I would need directions.

We will be ~10 people in 2 Scorpios (I really hope my Car arrives by 15th December so that I can get accustomed to it)

Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 12:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Sea beaches in West Bengal & Orissa - Route & staying options?

Directions

From Sewri, drive to Illambazar and take the connecting route to Panagarh. From there continue on till NH2. About 170 kms later you will see a fork with the left arm showing "Kolkata" and the right arm saying "Mumbai". Take the right arm. This is the direct connector to NH6 which bypasses Kolkata.

For WB beaches - Continue on NH6 till you cross Kolaghat bridge and see Sher e Punjab dhaba on your right. Should be about 75 kms from where you started. Just after Sher e Punjab there's a road which goes left. Continuing on this road will take you to a junction called Nandkumar More. Ask anyone which is the road going to Digha. Mandarmoni/Shankarpur/Tajpur are all roads which divert from this road, and it ends at Digha.

For Orissa beaches - Continue on NH6 well after Kolaghat. After about 160 kms you will see a diversion (flyover) and part of the road continuing straight. Take the straight road. The diversion is actually NH6 which takes you through Kharagpur. The straight road becomes NH60 which connects you to NH5.

Chandipur - Continue on NH60 till it joins NH5 and you hit Balasore. Take any left from the highway and it will take you to Balasore town. Ask someone the directions to Chandipur. Its barely 15 kms from the highway.

Puri - Continue on NH5 from Balasore. In about 200 kms you will hit Bhubaneshwar. They have built a wonderful road (about 50 kms) from Bhubaneswar to Puri.

Rambha - This is a destination I strongly recommend. Its not a beach but a spot on the shore of Lake Chilka. Take a speedboat ride through Chilka to see dolphins and migratory birds (in season).

Continue on NH5 from Bhubaneshwar. In about 123 kms you will hit Rambha. No diversions to take.

Gopalpur on Sea - Continue further on NH5 till you reach Berhampur (about 170 kms from Bhubaneshwar). GOS is a short drive from there. Not much to see, just chill out.

Places to Stay

Mandarmoni - Rose Valley Resort.

Tajpur - No picks in particular. All 1 star/2 star hotels with decent lodging.

Shankarpur - Hotel Nest. Though not on the beach, yet recommendable just for the quality of seafood and the VFM proposition. They also have free pick up/drop to the beach.

Digha - Plenty of options. I personally hate the place (overcrowded with the wrong kind of people), but you can find plenty of threads and member suggestions.

Chandipur - OTDC Chandipur. Nothing else is worth.

Puri - Again plenty of options. My personal favourites are OTDC Panthanivas and Chanakya BNR. But there are 5 star options too.

Rambha - OTDC Panthanivas. Fabulous seafood, and again on the edge of the lake.

GOS - Mayfair Palm Beach Resort.

For more information you can read my threads. Though a few years old, will give you general information on planning out your trip and what to expect.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-2300-kms.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...al-orissa.html

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 25th October 2014 at 12:36. Reason: Added information
predatorwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 13:29   #3
BHPian

Re: Sea beaches in West Bengal & Orissa - Route & staying options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

I am located at Purnia & believe I will have to drive till Suri (Sewri), post which I would need directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Directions:From Sewri, drive to Illambazar and take the connecting route to Panagarh. From there continue on till NH2. About 170 kms later you will see a fork with the left arm showing "Kolkata" and the right arm saying "Mumbai". Take the right arm. This is the direct connector to NH6 which bypasses Kolkata.
I suggest that instead of coming all the way to Suri, take a right turn just before the Dumka Clock Tower. There is a large and prominent directional board, so there is no way that you can miss it. The entrance is deceptively narrow and apart from the first few kilometres, the road is in excellent condition - just slow down at the culverts though! The road passes through Masalia - Nala - Gourandi and ends up bang opposite Jubilee Pump on NH 2. Once you reach this junction, turn left towards Durgapur - Panagarh.

I had taken this road while returning from Darjeeling last month and found it to be simpler and faster.

Last edited by Babuda : 27th October 2014 at 13:36. Reason: formatting
Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 07:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Continuing on this road will take you to a junction called Nandkumar More. Ask anyone which is the road going to Digha. Mandarmoni/Shankarpur/Tajpur are all roads which divert from this road, and it ends at Digha.
I had read your this thread long back, probably when you had put it up & you were at Calcutta.

I want to know more about the beach/s you guys would recommend.

Scenic, with less crowd, considering we would be there in the 1st week of January.

Thanks for the detailed post
Old 28th October 2014, 10:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I want to know more about the beach/s you guys would recommend.

Scenic, with less crowd, considering we would be there in the 1st week of January.

Thanks for the detailed post
Hello Sheel,

With my experience of Puri, Mandarmani, Shankarpur, Digha and Tajpur, I would rate Tajpur as the best if you are looking for a less crowdy beach. However, not sure about the tourist seasons. There are plenty of good staying options very close to the tajpur beach. I found Puri & Digha to be the worst to be frank. Mandarmani beach is nice near the Rose Valley but you may find it little crowded esp. during the winter break.

You may look at this thread for information on Tajpur & Mandarmani.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-2-wheels.html

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Well there are many place to visit in this region. But most of them will be crowded. The line up of beaches will be like Mandermani- Tajpur- Sankarpur- Digha- Chandipur- Puri- Gopalpur.

Now everywhere there will be tourists who will mess up these places. So you can try going a bit offbeat. That will be like you can plan a stay at Bhitarkanika (Mangrove forest). From there get a permission done and take a boat ride to Ekakula. There you have to stay in a tent. Its famous for Olive riddle turtles but at this time you cant see them . This is a deserted beach with nice scenic beauty. As you will be going in a group you can enjoy among yourselves. While returning you can touch Paradeep too.

From here drive to Puri but stay at the off beat resorts near Konark.

Visit Gopalpur but stay at OTDC Rambha. 50kms before Gopalpur.

These places are still pristine and less noisy than the typical sea side stay's.

For pics on Ekakula you can check my travelogue.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ota-etios.html

For pics on Rambha you can check this travelogue on Puri.
You can see the Rambha pics on page two.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-kolkata.html

Regarding roads after Dumka roads will be good all along. Only the Bhagalpur- Dumka stretch is bad and you are the master of that route!
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 17:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Directions

From Sewri, drive to Illambazar and take the connecting route to Panagarh. From there continue on till NH2. About 170 kms later you will see a fork with the left arm showing "Kolkata" and the right arm saying "Mumbai". Take the right arm. This is the direct connector to NH6 which bypasses Kolkata.

For WB beaches - Continue on NH6 till you cross Kolaghat bridge and see Sher e Punjab dhaba on your right. Should be about 75 kms from where you started. Just after Sher e Punjab there's a road which goes left. Continuing on this road will take you to a junction called Nandkumar More. Ask anyone which is the road going to Digha. Mandarmoni/Shankarpur/Tajpur are all roads which divert from this road, and it ends at Digha.

Tajpur - No picks in particular. All 1 star/2 star hotels with decent lodging.
I am planning on Tajpur in the first week of January ex Chinsurah.
1) How's Tajpur Beach resort ? (21.646346, 87.618693)
2) Decent 1 star and 2 star accomodations are mentioned - can any be booked online? Details will be very nice.
Old 31st October 2014, 21:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I am planning on Tajpur in the first week of January ex Chinsurah.
1) How's Tajpur Beach resort ? (21.646346, 87.618693)
Though I am not sure about Tajpur Beach resort, I guess almost none of the hotels at Tajpur provides you with sea facing rooms. Please check it out if you insist on this.
Quote:
2) Decent 1 star and 2 star accomodations are mentioned - can any be booked online? Details will be very nice.
I guess that you may try this link and talk with them directly.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 21:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Though I am not sure about Tajpur Beach resort, I guess almost none of the hotels at Tajpur provides you with sea facing rooms. Please check it out if you insist on this.

I guess that you may try this link and talk with them directly.
Thanks much! Any idea about drive time to Tajpur -ex Chinsurah?
I know that from Chinsurah to the fork of Bombay road - takes about an hour. Not sure how much more time it will take to Tajpur from that point.

Also - I understand much of the route will be through the Bengal hinterland. Is there a particular time of day that the travel on this route should be avoided?
Old 31st October 2014, 22:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea about drive time to Tajpur -ex Chinsurah? I know that from Chinsurah to the fork of Bombay road - takes about an hour. Not sure how much more time it will take to Tajpur from that point.
I guess it will take around three more hours from there, at a leisurely pace, unless you stop at Kolaghat for having some food.
Quote:
I understand much of the route will be through the Bengal hinterland. Is there a particular time of day that the travel on this route should be avoided?
Not at all. I assure you that this is a road which is safe at all times of the day (and night). But please be extra careful while driving at night, as it is an undivided and narrow road after crossing Nandakumar and the buses coming from the opposite side may not lower their high beams, causing stress on driving. Please drive safe.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 00:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Frankly speaking I hate all the beaches mentioned. If you have Gopalpur in your radar, I would request you to drive 2 and half hours more and go to Vizag. Vizag beaches are scenic and less crowded. Apart from that we liked the Mayfair resort in Gopalpur but we hardly went to the beach. Rest all are crowded to the brim. Sorry for the pessimistic post, but could not help it.
Also, from Suri you don't have to go till Panagarh. Take the Bolpur-Burdwan route and it will save you time and distance.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 07:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Tajpur as the best if you are looking for a less crowdy beach. However, not sure about the tourist seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Now everywhere there will be tourists who will mess up these places. So you can try going a bit offbeat. That will be like you can plan a stay at Bhitarkanika (Mangrove forest). From there get a permission done and take a boat ride to Ekakula.

While returning you can touch Paradeep too.
While I still am in awe of your travelogue, with elderly (who need help in walking) and kids, don't think a destination which involves a ferry will be preferred.

Maybe, this will be done by me & wife.

From the consensus, it appears, that Tajpur might be it, if we only go to Puri and return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Frankly speaking I hate all the beaches mentioned. If you have Gopalpur in your radar, I would request you to drive 2 and half hours more and go to Vizag. Sorry for the pessimistic post, but could not help it.
There has been faint murmurs heard of going to Tirupati Balaji Temple as well, if that happens, then Vizag will be it. But because we will be traveling with family (of all age & sizes) we will have to break our journey and will prefer something like the route mentioned by 1100D (along the east coast). Lets see as to how things pan out.
Quote:
Also, from Suri you don't have to go till Panagarh. Take the Bolpur-Burdwan route and it will save you time and distance.
Sure, will keep this in mind.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 10:53   #13
BHPian

Among the Bengal counterparts, Tajpur wins by a big margin - both in terms of serenity and beach quality.

OT - Why the sea beaches? The new machine deserves its first breath in the Himalayas, isn't it?
Old 15th November 2014, 08:04   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
OT - Why the sea beaches? The new machine deserves its first breath in the Himalayas, isn't it?
If by Himalayas, you are hinting at North India, then it will take time. But Sikkim will anyways be visited this winter.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 11:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Frankly speaking I hate all the beaches mentioned. If you have Gopalpur in your radar, I would request you to drive 2 and half hours more and go to Vizag. Vizag beaches are scenic and less crowded. Apart from that we liked the Mayfair resort in Gopalpur but we hardly went to the beach. Rest all are crowded to the brim. Sorry for the pessimistic post, but could not help it.
+1 to your views. Puri gets crowded like hell in winter, and the crowd spills over to Gopalpur. Even Vizag gets many visitors in winter, but there are plenty of beaches: Bhimili, Rushikonda, Vizag City and one beyond the lighthouse on Dolphin's Nose hill (forgot the name). There are plenty of staying options too.

As far as Gopalpur is concerned, except the Mayfair Palm Beach, there aren't any to write home about. Pantha Nivas at Rambha may be difficult to book in winter months. So's the case with the one at Barkul.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks