Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2017, 21:40   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kolkata-Siliguri through SH7, NH34 and Botolbari-Dhantola routes

Thanks, will update on what route they finally took and its condition.

From Calcutta, what would the nearest beach be if one plans to go and which route would be better, the Dumka one or the Ranaghat one?
Old 10th May 2017, 18:50   #47
BHPian

I am back from a trip to Northern part of Bengal. I took the SH7 route and shared the details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4196308
Old 20th May 2017, 08:29   #48
Team-BHP Support

My sister & her family drove to Purnia from Calcutta via NH-34 and it took them 15 hours with lots of breaks [courtesy, their pet]

But I am really confused as to what route to take on 27th/28th, they found a bit of bad roads near Farrakah/Maldah plus a bit of congestion.
Old 15th December 2017, 17:17   #49
BHPian

Just returned yesterday from a trip to north Bengal. Took the Kolkata Siliguri route through SH-7 and Botolbari. Around 20-22 KM of road when approaching Kuli is very bad and scrapped the bottom of my car once. But the rest is fine. Even the road from Raiganj to Botolbari, which was not all that good earlier this year seems to be freshly repaired and is now very decent.
rahul4640 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 19:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Planning to go to North Bengal during the pujas. I know the monsoon will change everything but any latest update on the route will be welcome. How is Kaliachak?
Old 12th June 2018, 06:26   #51
BHPian

Just returned from a trip to North Sikkim.

SH7 has been repaired all through, great road surface, except for some great big speed breakers.

I caught all the possible jams on the way up. Farraka, Kaliachok (encroachment on the road is back), Malda (bypass not open to public yet) and Dalkhola (missed the Botolbari turning)

Took the Kishangunj to Botolbari village route on the way back to bypass Dalkhola - great roads. Got stuck in Kaliachok for about an hour, Farraka was ok-ish and the biggest bottleneck was at Santragachi !!

The saddest bit about the whole trip was that my wife did not allow me to drive up to North Sikkim. The car was parked in Gangtok for 4 days !!

Last edited by noidea : 12th June 2018 at 06:27.
noidea is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 15:45   #52
BHPian

Hi, I am planning to take a drive to Kalimpong. I am going to drive from Kolkata to Jalpaiguri, have a halt for 2 days and then drive towards Kalimpong.

Earlier I had planned for a single day drive to Jalpaiguri. But some of my fellow friends are suggesting we do a night halt either at Malda or Raigunj due to the recent road conditions and surroundings. And we are having families travelling with us with kids.

I need suggestion from you guys on the same. Is that OK to drive straight to Jalpaiguri OR to play safe and stay at some mid point for the evening and night?

Thanks.
Old 10th November 2019, 23:08   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteering View Post
I need suggestion from you guys on the same. Is that OK to drive straight to Jalpaiguri OR to play safe and stay at some mid point for the evening and night?

Thanks.

Well, a long drive mainly depends on how much you (including your family also) are capable to endure with. As a regular traveller of this route I am trying to give you a basic idea. The rest depends on you.

Kona to Burdwan via NH2 - great 4 lane road - 1 to 1.5 hrs to drive

Burdwan to Moregram via SH7 - Good road and the much awaited flyover at Burdwan, Good road upto Futisanko except 5 to 7 km right after Burdwan town. then broken surface continued upto Kuli. There after again good road upto Morgram. Be aware of the road humps on this road. - 2 to 4 hrs to drive (Depending upon the time of the day).

Moregram to Botolbari via NH 34 - Most of the roads are 4 laned except Ahiron, Kaliachak to Sujapur, and last part of the road almost 8 km before Raiganj to Botolbari. Though 4 laned please look for deep potholes and broken surfaces. Malda bypass is doable and better than before. - 3 to 5 hrs to drive (Depending upon the time of the day).

Botolbari to Islampur via Bengal to Bengal road - Good road but narrow, drive cautiously. - 1.5 to 2.5 hrs to drive.

Islampur to Fulbari via NH 31 & New Bypass - 4 laned NH 31 with broken surfaces in some places, especially on the flyovers. Watch for diversions on the Ghoshpukur Bypass, otherwise this road is not bad. - 1.5 to 2.5 hrs to drive. (Depending upon the Nijbari Railgate).

Fulbari to Jalpaiguri via Canal side road and then Ambari-Belakoba-Jalpaiguri State highway - Though a bit narrow but good road and preferred over NH 31 as later has 4 lane constructions works going on it and jammed almost any time of the day. - 1 to 1.5 hrs to drive.

So total driving time - 11 to 17 hrs depending upon various factors
Plus refreshment time

Stay option - Malda will be a better choice. Go through the town if you are planning to stay at Malda.

Regards

Rakesh
DrRC83 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 12:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteering View Post
I need suggestion from you guys on the same. Is that OK to drive straight to Jalpaiguri OR to play safe and stay at some mid point for the evening and night? Thanks.
If it's the first drive for you along Kolkata - Siliguri stretch then I would suggest you to take a break for the night at either Malda and Raiganj. Given the current road situations, the drive with a break will be a relaxed one. Also, you will get familiar with the route during the day-time.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 13:36   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRC83 View Post
Well, a long drive mainly depends on how much you (including your family also) are capable to endure with. As a regular traveller of this route I am trying to give you a basic idea. The rest depends on you.
Thanks for the detailed info ! This is real useful information.

Though I have done 17hrs drives earlier (Kolkata - Vizag), this time we may take a break at Malda.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th November 2019 at 13:42.
BehindSteering is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 12:51   #56
BHPian

Just drove down to Kolkata from Siliguri. It took us close to 18 hours. There were four of us and a pet travelling. Route taken was Siliguri - Dhantola - Botolbari - Moregram (via Malda bypass) - Burdwan - Kolkata. Best stretches of road are Kolkata - Burdwan stretch and Moregram - Raiganj. The other stretches are nothing to complain about but one has to be wary of a few gigantic speed-breakers along the Moregram to Farakka route. One also needs to watch out for uneven surfaces while getting on and off flyovers along the Dhantola - Islampur stretch. It took us to close to 18 hours with numerous bath room breaks and regular stoppages for food.
Old 6th October 2020, 14:09   #57
BHPian

I am planning a Kolkata-Siliguri run on the 23rd or 24th of October. If anyone has been on this route recently, can anyone advise on the road condition? With Pujas around the corner, will it be safe to take the Botolbari-Dhantola route?
Old 8th October 2020, 22:51   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisfish View Post
I am planning a Kolkata-Siliguri run on the 23rd or 24th of October. If anyone has been on this route recently, can anyone advise on the road condition? With Pujas around the corner, will it be safe to take the Botolbari-Dhantola route?
The major part of NH 34 has crumbled under the monsoon rains including some parts of SH7 where there are deep craters big enough to swallow small cars! Major bottlenecks at Sujapur due to almost non existent roads . Also, Botolbaari- Dhantola stretch has also deteriorated. Due to less train traffic, Dalkhola is better these days. Safety was never an issue on the Botolbaari- Dhantola stretch.

Would suggest to take the Bhagalpur route to Siliguri via Araria. A broken bridge near Dumka will necessitate a diversion through Jamtara- Palajori road and which has fantastic surfaces to drive on.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 13:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
A broken bridge near Dumka will necessitate a diversion through Jamtara- Palajori road and which has fantastic surfaces to drive on.
Can you post a detailed update of the road via Dumka Bhagalpur? Also from where to enter the Jamtara Palajori road?
Old 19th October 2020, 14:07   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrasis_gun View Post
Can you post a detailed update of the road via Dumka Bhagalpur? Also from where to enter the Jamtara Palajori road?
Road surface after Bhagalpur bypass is little riddled with potholes but nothing that you can’t negotiate. Road conditions as a whole is good to great in some stretches till Hansdiha. You need not reach Dumka but take the Barapalasi-Jama road just after reaching Barapalasi. After Jama there is a straight forward road through Palajori- Jamtara- Chitranjan- Asansol. Hope that helps.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks