Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 16:35   #1

Ranchi to Samastipur Route Options

Hi Fellow BHPians,

I would be travelling to Samastipur for a friends marriage on 30th Jan. Can someone please let me know which route will be the least time consuming and safe(both in terms of the road condition for Verna and safe for passengers).

1. Ranchi --> Hazaribagh --> Barhi --> Bihar Sharif --> Bakhtiyarpur --> Mokama --> Barauni --> Samastipur

This is NH33/31 all the way and sounds to be the best option although around 30kms more than route 2.

2. Ranchi --> Hazaribagh --> Barhi --> Bihar Sharif --> Barbigha--> Mokama --> Barauni --> Samastipur
Bihar Sharif to Mokama distance is lowered but do not know how is the road condition and is it safe enough.

3. Ranchi --> Hazaribagh --> Barhi --> Bihar Sharif --> Bakhtiyarpur --> Patna--> Muzaffarpur--> Samastipur
This is the route preferred by the Buses(probably to get most passengers), although same as Option 1 but I think might take more time as entering Patna and leaving it might take more time.

Please also let me know the current condition of the Bridges on river Ganga at Mokama (for Option 1 and 2) and Patna (for Option 3).

I have to reach Samastipur by 3PM, please also advice when should I plan to start from Ranchi. I do not over speed and am a relaxed driver, normally drive between 80-110(if road permits) rarely cross 120.

Thanks in advance.
Ritwik
Old 7th January 2015, 23:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ranchi to Samastipur Route Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritwikdey28 View Post
Hi Fellow BHPians,

I would be travelling to Samastipur for a friends marriage on 30th Jan. Can someone please let me know which route will be the least time consuming and safe(both in terms of the road condition for Verna and safe for passengers).

1. Ranchi --> Hazaribagh --> Barhi --> Bihar Sharif --> Bakhtiyarpur --> Mokama --> Barauni --> Samastipur

This is NH33/31 all the way and sounds to be the best option although around 30kms more than route 2.

2. Ranchi --> Hazaribagh --> Barhi --> Bihar Sharif --> Barbigha--> Mokama --> Barauni --> Samastipur
Bihar Sharif to Mokama distance is lowered but do not know how is the road condition and is it safe enough.

3. Ranchi --> Hazaribagh --> Barhi --> Bihar Sharif --> Bakhtiyarpur --> Patna--> Muzaffarpur--> Samastipur
This is the route preferred by the Buses(probably to get most passengers), although same as Option 1 but I think might take more time as entering Patna and leaving it might take more time.

Please also let me know the current condition of the Bridges on river Ganga at Mokama (for Option 1 and 2) and Patna (for Option 3).

I have to reach Samastipur by 3PM, please also advice when should I plan to start from Ranchi. I do not over speed and am a relaxed driver, normally drive between 80-110(if road permits) rarely cross 120.

Thanks in advance.
Ritwik
I would go on Route 2.
Small town bypasses are bad/non-existent.
Heavy truck traffic on this route.
Winter fog can upset drive timings.
Budget for a full day's drive
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 08:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fellow BHPians,

Thanks in advance.
Ritwik
The NH30 is undergoing four laning and there are some unfinished stretches. For route no. 1 and 2, you'll have to take the Rajendra Bridge between Mokama and Barauni. The said bridge has no heavy vehicle traffic due to damaged pillars. I have no idea about the road condition but most of the roads in Bihar other than the NH are in bad shape. For route no. 3, you need not come to Muzaffarpur. Just after crossing Mahatma Gandhi setu ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ndhi-setu.html) , you'll reach Paswan Chowk. From there, if you take right, you'll reach Samastipur via Jandaha. Roads were good earlier but cant say anything right now. Another option for route 3 is via Mahua. Search for Patna to Samastipur on Google maps and you'll get these options. The bottlenecks are Mahatma Gandhi setu , Paswan Chowk, Hajipur railway crossing. The bridge witnesses jams which can last upto 8 hrs!! Ask your friend to give feedback on routes 1 and 2. Regarding safety, don't get me wrong but crime has increased a lot suddenly in last few months. Why don't you take the train, Maurya express (Hatia-Gorakhpur)? It starts from Hatia at 5pm and reaches Samastipur at 7am.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 8th January 2015 at 08:31.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 08:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fellow BHPians,

Of the routes, I would prefer 1 followed by 2, as I have feedback that these routes are decent right now. Start early morning and you should be fine.
However, if you are not well versed with the area I strongly suggest taking the train Maurya Exp or Jayanagar Express.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 8th January 2015 at 08:56.
pratyush6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 08:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Fellow BHPians,

Route 1 and 2 are albeit the same with minor difference. While the Bakhtiarpur section should be good, it will have some HCV traffic. For a change, I would suggest you take the Barbigha route.

Just one suggestion, after Hazaribagh, ask few locals (preferably bus/truck drivers) for the route condition.

Mokama bridge is free from HCV traffic but has thousands of tractors plying carrying sand & sometimes stone chips. Progress will be slow & pray it doesn't rain if you are in a car, as the exit points for water on the bridge is filled with sand and there is significant standing water on the bridge.

Heard, Barauni - Samastipur section has been resurfaced.

And has mentioned by HVK, please do factor a full day for the drive. Dawn to Dusk, and you just might be too tired to attend any function.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 10:00   #6

@Bone Collector:
I was thinking to take the train but the problem is while returning I need to be back on 31st and I need to attend the function on 30th that leaves me with no other option than driving.
I am planning to start early by 6 from Ranchi so that I can reach by 3-4PM? I think Route 1 would allow me that, do you think thats possible? Any advice on staying safe?

@Pratyush:

Thanks. I too prefer Route 1. Any reasons you are advising for the train?

@Sheel:
When you say that the Mokama bridge has significant standing water, do you mean the river water overflows from the bridge as well or just the rainwater? Is it doable for a Verna?
Old 8th January 2015, 10:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Bone Collector:
I was thinking to take the train but the problem is while returning I need to be back on 31st and I need to attend the function on 30th that leaves me with no other option than driving.
I am planning to start early by 6 from Ranchi so that I can reach by 3-4PM? I think Route 1 would allow me that, do you think thats possible? Any advice on staying safe?

@Pratyush:

Thanks. I too prefer Route 1. Any reasons you are advising for the train?

@Sheel:
When you say that the Mokama bridge has significant standing water, do you mean the river water overflows from the bridge as well or just the rainwater? Is it doable for a Verna?
What time are you planning to be back to Ranchi? If its 31st morning, I don't think its feasible driving due to multiple factors, safety being the foremost. If its by evening or night, then you can ask your friend to get you dropped at Patna by 11am so that you take Patna Hatia and reach home by 8pm.
The Mokama bridge has standing rain water and not from the river.
I have not travelled in a Verna so can't say much about its performance.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 11:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
What time are you planning to be back to Ranchi? If its 31st morning, I don't think its feasible driving due to multiple factors, safety being the foremost. If its by evening or night, then you can ask your friend to get you dropped at Patna by 11am so that you take Patna Hatia and reach home by 8pm.
The Mokama bridge has standing rain water and not from the river.
I have not travelled in a Verna so can't say much about its performance.
I was thinking to start early from Samastipur (around 7) and reach Ranchi by 5.
When you say security, do you mean its risky to travel with family or its security in general? I would be driving alone or possibly might take a driver to accompany me. Do you think its ok? Or should I still avoid it?
Old 8th January 2015, 21:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

When you say security, do you mean its risky to travel with family or its security in general? I would be driving alone or possibly might take a driver to accompany me. Do you think its ok? Or should I still avoid it?
By safety I meant some hidden risks involved. It might not be there at all. If you're getting your car, take a driver along as while going back, you will require him after a night wedding. I can still not comment on the journey timings as that is an uncharted territory by me.
I have done a few long stretches but my start timings have been fixed, reaching timings flexible as one cant be sure of roads if being taken for first time.
Old 25th January 2015, 12:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think there are any safety issues at all in the entire Bihar region you are traversing through, especially in daylight. Unsure about Jharkhand & the Naxal infested areas, but absolutely no issues in Bihar.

At best, roads might not be in a good shape and that might bother you.
Old 29th March 2016, 06:28   #11
BHPian

Hello TeamBHPians

I would be driving from Raxaul(Nepal Border) to kolkata shortly. I had driven thrice in this stretch using the route :Raxaul-Motihari-Muzaffarpur-Hazipur-Patna-Biharsharif-Newada-Barhi(NH2)-Asansol-Kolkata. There is another route from Muzaffarpur which merges in Asansol i.e.Muzaffarpur-Samastipur-Barauni-Lukheesarai-Jamui-Deoghar-Asansol. Can anyone help me on the 2nd route,its current status,etc,etc,..
Old 29th March 2016, 10:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samratrek View Post
Hello TeamBHPians

I would be driving from Raxaul(Nepal Border) to kolkata shortly.
Two options for you IMO.

First is, to find the quickest way to NH-2 and drive down to Calcutta from there.

Second option is to take the NH 57 and come down to Purnia and take either the NH-34 or the Bhagalpur/Munger route.

I would vote for the Patna route but crossing Patna is a big pain. Would suggest to via Sasaram as it is the only road which is better [from Patna to NH-2] via Piro, Bikramgunj.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 12:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Two options for you IMO.

First is, to find the quickest way to NH-2 and drive down to Calcutta from there.

Second option is to take the NH 57 and come down to Purnia and take either the NH-34 or the Bhagalpur/Munger route.

I would vote for the Patna route but crossing Patna is a big pain. Would suggest to via Sasaram as it is the only road which is better [from Patna to NH-2] via Piro, Bikramgunj.
Thanks Sheel , I know that the best option is to hit NH-2,but there are heavy traffic snarls in Muzaffarpur & Hajipur-Patna,the amount of time you save driving to Kolkata from Barhi (nearest NH2 connector) is much less than the time you waste reaching Barhi from Muzaffarpur.

Now I am also hearing that the Muzaffapur-Samistipur-Baruani-Deoghar stretch is 4 laned / crater free then why should I take a detour,My query was whether what I heard is correct or not, i.e. would it be a good decision to drive down my mentioned route/?
Old 29th March 2016, 16:08   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samratrek View Post
Now I am also hearing that the Muzaffapur-Samistipur-Baruani-Deoghar stretch is 4 laned / crater free then why should I take a detour,My query was whether what I heard is correct or not, i.e. would it be a good decision to drive down my mentioned route/?
Sorry, but there is no 4 lane in the places you have mentioned, plus the Barauni - Deoghar stretch wasn't exactly safe {Naxals]

If you are coming to Barauni, NH-2 wouldn't be more than 100 kilometers from there.

Roads in Bihar in general have improved but you never know about that particular road. Trucks too don't take that route, else would have been easier. Last time I did Jamui, Sheikhpura route, it wasn't in a great position.

You can take a bet though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks