Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2006, 13:28   #1

Kannur to Guruvayoor

Hi everybody,

I am planning to drive from Kannur to Guruvayoor during the last week of this month. As i am basically from bangalore. I would be first driving to Kannur from bangalore ( route a little familiar). I am not aware of the road route from kannur to Guruvayoor. Would you be able to suggest me the ideal route from Kannur to Guruvayoor though i heard its only about 3hrs drive from kannur to Guruvayoor. Look forward to your advice
Old 15th August 2006, 13:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skp1982
Hi everybody,

I am planning to drive from Kannur to Guruvayoor during the last week of this month. As i am basically from bangalore. I would be first driving to Kannur from bangalore ( route a little familiar). I am not aware of the road route from kannur to Guruvayoor. Would you be able to suggest me the ideal route from Kannur to Guruvayoor though i heard its only about 3hrs drive from kannur to Guruvayoor. Look forward to your advice
1. Follow the Kannur-Guruvayoor buses - if you can keep up with them, that is.

2. Go down NH17. Guruvayoor is down the same road.

3. You cannot get to Guruvayoor from Kannur in 3 hours, even if you are a superfast private bus. Depending on traffic it takes between 1.5 and 2 hours to Calicut, and another 3 hours from there, again depending on traffic. You could easily save an hour if you travel at night after the maniac bus/taxi/auto drivers have gone to sleep.

As you can see, there is no 'route' from Kannur to Guruvayoor. Just point your car towards Cochin on NH17 and drive down. You will eventually reach Guruvayoor. Cant go wrong, but if you MUST know, the route goes like this - Kannur>Tellichery>Mahe>Vadagara>Quilandy>Calicut>R amanattukara>University>Kottakal>Valanchery>Kuttip uram>Edappal>Kunnamkulam>Chavakkad. Cant miss the signs for Guruvayoor between Kunnamkulam and Chavakkad. In case you do, turn left a Chavakkad and you're in Guruvayoor in about 5 kms.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th August 2006 at 13:38.
Old 15th August 2006, 15:14   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

As you can see, there is no 'route' from Kannur to Guruvayoor. Just point your car towards Cochin on NH17 and drive down. You will eventually reach Guruvayoor. Cant go wrong, but if you MUST know, the route goes like this - Kannur>Tellichery>Mahe>Vadagara>Quilandy>Calicut>R amanattukara>University>Kottakal>Valanchery>Kuttip uram>Edappal>Kunnamkulam>Chavakkad. Cant miss the signs for Guruvayoor between Kunnamkulam and Chavakkad. In case you do, turn left a Chavakkad and you're in Guruvayoor in about 5 kms.
A small correction here. This route has some better roads.
The route goes like this - Kannur>Tellichery>Mahe>Vadagara>Quilandy>Calicut>R amanattukara>University>Kottakal>Valanchery>Kuttip uram>Ponnani>Chavakkad. CAUTION! Can miss the turn to ponnani from Kuttippuram. The turn comes after the big bridge (There are 2 bridges, this is the 2nd one) at Kuttipuram. The road from here to ponnani is narrow and curvy but smoother than the other. And once in Ponnani, just proceed to the byepass and drive to Chavakkad on NH17. Beautiful stretch of road till Chavakkad. Turn left at Chavakkad and you're in Guruvayoor in about 5 kms.

Dont be shy to ask directions whenever you need to.

Enjoy the drive!

Last edited by speedzak : 15th August 2006 at 15:18.
Old 15th August 2006, 15:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Kannur>Tellichery>Mahe>Vadagara>Quilandy>Calicut>R amanattukara>University>Kottakal>Valanchery>Kuttip uram>Ponnani>Chavakkad. CAUTION! Can miss the turn to ponnani from Kuttippuram. The turn comes after the big bridge (There are 2 bridges, this is the 2nd one) at Kuttipuram. The road from here to ponnani is narrow and curvy but smoother than the other.
If you miss the turn after the bridge over the river after Kuttipuram, you can still carry on to Edappal and turn right at the signal (yeah a signal on the highway) to Ponnani.

IMHO, the deviation to Ponnani is not really necessary as the roads are pretty good ALMOST upto Kunnamkulam. You end up spending more time to reach Ponnani and take the deviation, but as Zak says the road from Ponnani to Chavakkad is SUPERB. However, the original route has no such deviation.
Old 15th August 2006, 18:52   #5
BANNED

Quote:
If you miss the turn after the bridge over the river after Kuttipuram, you can still carry on to Edappal and turn right at the signal (yeah a signal on the highway) to Ponnani.

IMHO, the deviation to Ponnani is not really necessary as the roads are pretty good ALMOST upto Kunnamkulam. You end up spending more time to reach Ponnani and take the deviation, but as Zak says the road from Ponnani to Chavakkad is SUPERB. However, the original route has no such deviation.

Steeroid,
The road upto edappal is a mess. And some parts are under repair. Better avoiding that part.
Old 15th August 2006, 19:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Steeroid,
The road upto edappal is a mess. And some parts are under repair. Better avoiding that part.
Thanks Zak - I'll be on that route next week and will take the deviation from Chavakkad.
Old 15th August 2006, 19:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Zak - I'll be on that route next week and will take the deviation from Chavakkad.
OT! someone need to SMS to Steer's mobile abt his back problem
Old 3rd October 2009, 15:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
A small correction here. This route has some better roads.
The route goes like this - Kannur>Tellichery>Mahe>Vadagara>Quilandy>Calicut>R amanattukara>University>Kottakal>Valanchery>Kuttip uram>Ponnani>Chavakkad. CAUTION! Can miss the turn to ponnani from Kuttippuram. The turn comes after the big bridge (There are 2 bridges, this is the 2nd one) at Kuttipuram. The road from here to ponnani is narrow and curvy but smoother than the other. And once in Ponnani, just proceed to the byepass and drive to Chavakkad on NH17. Beautiful stretch of road till Chavakkad. Turn left at Chavakkad and you're in Guruvayoor in about 5 kms.

Dont be shy to ask directions whenever you need to.

Enjoy the drive!
I have just seen this thread - very helpful as I was looking for Kannur to
guruvayoor road route. I am planning to drive to guruvayoor tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 12:41   #9
BHPian

Re: Kannur to Guruvayoor

Hi All, Any one drove this stretch recently...?
I haven't drove this route for more 4years now, any recent bypass or route changes came..?

My regular route was Thalasseri - Mahi - Vadagara - Kozhikode (Eranjippalam or city if early hours) - Edappal - Kuttippuram - Kunnamkulam - Guruvayur. Is it still holds good..??

Is it worth taking via Chamravattom ..? My experience in Thirur side is, people will not allow you to overtake.
Old 10th March 2014, 17:50   #10
BHPian

Chamravattom route is ok. However, since the roads are narrow, you wouldn't get too many overtaking opportunities, if you hit the Tirur area in peak time.

Nevertheless, I have felt that traffic in the Tirur-Ponnani stretch is not too high to skip the route as such. This is my regular route for my Cochin-Calicut trips, though roads are a bit bumpy between Kodungalloor and Chavakkad.
Mistakenguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 22:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Hi All, Any one drove this stretch recently...?
I haven't drove this route for more 4years now, any recent bypass or route changes came..?

My regular route was Thalasseri - Mahi - Vadagara - Kozhikode (Eranjippalam or city if early hours) - Edappal - Kuttippuram - Kunnamkulam - Guruvayur. Is it still holds good..??

Is it worth taking via Chamravattom ..? My experience in Thirur side is, people will not allow you to overtake.
I drove Tirur-Guruvayoor last week. Took exactly 55 min (On a Friday afternoon). Roads are great now. Tirur-Chamravattom bridge section has been slightly widened. So it is more comfortable to drive. In addition the railway overbridge at the Devdhar railway gate near Tanur is now open. I took an alternative route from Ponnani to Guruvayoor. Update in this post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3384205

Overall, time wise you will mostly not save too much. But no harm taking it just for a change.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 10th March 2014 at 22:46. Reason: Typo edit
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:19   #12
BHPian

Can some one please update the best route from Guruvayur to Thirunavaya Temple and from there to Ramanattukara

Guruvayur - Mammiyur - Perumpadappu - Maranchery - Chamravattom Bridge - Beeranchira - Thirunavaya Temple - Puthanathani - Ramanattukara

or

Guruvayur - Mammiyur - Vadakkekad - Changaramkulam - Kuttippuram - Thirunavaya Temple - Puthanathani - Ramanattukara

Any one aware of the latest update of the route condition..?

Thanks
Rajesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks