Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 02:36   #1
BHPian

Lepakshi to Bangalore via Kolar

Hello All,

I am planning a ride from Bangalore to Lepakshi and back this Sunday and wanted to know how the road condition was from Lepakshi to Kolar.

The route that I will be taking from Bangalore to Lepakshi is as follows: Bangalore - Yelahanka - Devanahalli - Chikaballapur - Bagepalli - Lepakshi. On my return route I plan to come back via Kolar, just to make things more interesting and a change of scenery.
The route as per Google maps is as follows: Lepakshi - Chikaballapur - Doddamaralli - Vijayapura - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore.

I'd like to know how the road condition is between Chikaballapur and Kolar or if there is any other alternate route I can take to head back to Bangalore.

Your timely responses are much appreciated!
Old 6th March 2015, 06:52   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lepakshi to Bangalore via Kolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
The route that I will be taking from Bangalore to Lepakshi is as follows: Bangalore - Yelahanka - Devanahalli - Chikaballapur - Bagepalli - Lepakshi. On my return route I plan to come back via Kolar, just to make things more interesting and a change of scenery.
The route as per Google maps is as follows: Lepakshi - Chikaballapur - Doddamaralli - Vijayapura - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore.
Your onward route is NH 7 all the way, going beyond the Airport towards Ananthapur. Excellent road all the way, after the toll you need to turn left towards Lepakshi.

Return route options - no idea about Chikkbalapur-Doddamaralli route.

Alternatives could be:
1. Devanahalli-Vijayapura route but again, no update on road conditions.
2. Devanahalli-NH 207 to Hoskote, merge at Old Madras Road this road is in good condition
3. Devanahalli-BIAL road via Mandur to Budigere cross on Old Madras Road. This road is also in very good condition.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 13:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The fastest option for Kolar would be NH7 till Devanahalli, 207 to Hoskote and then 4-lane NH4 to Kolar. Easy on traffic as well. You will some traffic while getting on to NH4 at Hoskote. But if you want to enjoy the local roads, then you can exit NH7 at Chikkaballapur and take the NH234 to Chintamani via Sidlagatta. At Chintamani there is straight road to Kolar. 234 goes all the way to Mulbagal. 234 is in very good condition and I expect the Chintamani-Kolar SH to be good too. 234 is not that wide though. But these roads have no traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 6th March 2015 at 13:28.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 00:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

The best and easiest route is via Airport > Hyderabad highway.
Simple straight road with negligible traffic till TS border, where you deviate from the highway towards Lepakshi.

Use the same route to return. Via Kolar would be taxing.
If you intend to take a drive on Kolar highway, make another trip to Kotilingeshwara (Photologue: Kotilingeshwara, a Crore Shivalingas).

Refer to my Lepakshi Travelogue (Lepakshi - A Historical Place & Driver's Paradise)for details.

Lepakshi to Bangalore via Kolar-lepakshi_map.jpg
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 01:24   #5
BHPian

Thank you all for your super quick responses! The route I've decided to come back is this for now: Lepakshi - Chikkaballapur - Sidlagatta - Chintamani - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore (calling it ampere's route for now!). May be taxing, but I wanted to explore different routes and see new sights.
Will post my reviews on my return route and distance / time taken, as well, once I finish my ride this Sunday for the benefit of other members.

Last edited by Snehal Sekhar : 7th March 2015 at 01:27.
Old 7th March 2015, 09:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you all for your super quick responses! The route I've decided to come back is this for now: Lepakshi - Chikkaballapur - Sidlagatta - Chintamani - Kolar - Hoskote - Bangalore (calling it ampere's route for now!). May be taxing, but I wanted to explore different routes and see new sights.
Will post my reviews on my return route and distance / time taken, as well, once I finish my ride this Sunday for the benefit of other members.
These routes are actually quite nice. They instil a sense of calm. Once had done Bangalore-Mulbagal-Nh234 to Chikkaballapur and back via NH7. It was great fun on NH234.

Expect small tea shops at best in these small towns like Chintamani, Srinivaspur etc. But that is also fun! And with the weather suddenly becoming cold these days and mild showers it would be an ideal country side for a weekend drive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But if you want to enjoy the local roads, then you can exit NH7 at Chikkaballapur and take the NH234 to Chintamani via Sidlagatta. At Chintamani there is straight road to Kolar. 234 goes all the way to Mulbagal. 234 is in very good condition and I expect the Chintamani-Kolar SH to be good too. 234 is not that wide though. But these roads have no traffic.
I really wanted to come back via this route yesterday! I took the turn towards Sidlagatta, went a few kms on this stretch but eventually had to turn back and return via Devanahalli. I enquired with people on the road and they said that the roads were good but this route would take me longer to head back home as there was quite some distance to cover. I was getting late and couldn't afford any more delay and to top it all, my wrists were really sore (not yet used to travelling long distances on my bike). Just wanted to reach home ASAP. So took the easiest route and came back via Devanahalli-Yelahanka.
So now it looks this stretch will have to wait for another day. May be I could do a Bangalore - Kolar - Chintamani - Sidlagatta - Devanahalli - Yelahanka - Bangalore ride the next time.
Anyway, thanks once again for the suggestions on the routes!
Old 9th March 2015, 19:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So took the easiest route and came back via Devanahalli-Yelahanka.
Why Yelahanka? I thought you wanted to head to Kolar on the way back? Or you meant to say, you did not go to Kolar finally ?
Old 9th March 2015, 20:43   #9
BHPian

Sorry Ampere! I didn't go to Kolar after all. My timings were all wrong, left home late and got too tired doing a solo on my motorcycle. Took too many breaks in between and eventually by then I reached Sidlagatta it was 12:30 PM. Returning via Sidlagatta - Chintamani and Kolar would have taken more time than coming back via Devanahalli - Yelahanka. So I chose the faster option and came back via Devanahalli - Yelahanka and reached home faster. Thanks though for the route advise. Hoping to take that route on one of upcoming motorcycle rides.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks