Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2015, 11:20   #1
BHPian

Great move! Govt to build a road from Gujarat to Mizoram

Read about this wonderful news item today that the Govt. of India is planning to build a road from Gujarat to Mizoram covering states like Rajasthan, Punjab, J&K, Himachal, Uttrakhand, Bihar, UP, WB, Sikkim, Arunanchal Pradesh, Assam, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram. In my opinion, this would be a step that shall achieve sevaral objectives like strengthening our defense, integrating the North East region with the rest of India better, helping the growth of tourism in this part of India which has still not been developed and promoted to its true potential. Other benefit of-course is the improvement in cross border trade and employment opportunities in the regions covered. Coming after more than six decades of our Independance, I believe this step was long overdue. Better late than never!
To us BHPians I am sure it should give a new opportunity to create records like covering the golden quadrilateral in 3-4 days etc.

Mods- I couldnt determine if this is the right section for this post so request you to move it to the right section if required.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47090250.cms
interest is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 13:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Great move! Govt to build a road from Gujarat to Mizoram

More the high-speed road corridors the better.
But being a border road, as it is being announced, I wonder what alignment it will take, and how weather-proof it will be. A project that runs through the Himalayan region is bound to be in environmental issues and the 5 year project time that is being talked about can be as good as a figment of imagination.

Yes, if it happens, it will be one more arterial road corridor for India

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2015 at 16:10. Reason: Removing double word (bound) :)
hvkumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 14:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Agree with HVK. Leaving out the political implications, weather proofing of such a road would be a herculean task. Add to it, this proposal goes through some of the most densely populated areas. Implementation within a 5 year plan is highly ambitious. Looks like the current govt wants to focus on getting the red-tape of land-acquisition done, in this term followed by getting the elements in place. Next term if they stay, hopefully they can build momentum.

All said and done, a positive thought indeed! Surely has a vision.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 16:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

I wish they take care of regular roads like NH1 etc., connecting Delhi to Haryana, Punjab and J&K. Incomplete flyovers, massive jams at toll gates and gaping pot holes. Same story on many other road projects like Delhi Jaipur.
All these grand schemes are good, but makes me doubt when they cannot make a simple 200-300km highway properly.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 16:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't fly for me.

This is where they depart from their previous sensible approach (deliver what UPA had already planned and do a good job of it) to announcing nice sounding big bang schemes.

BRO has been unable to meet its original targets of 3400km border roads along China since 8 years - why not just help them achieve old plans than make another set of unachievable targets?

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20141108/main6.htm is pending since 8 years.
Old 29th April 2015, 17:54   #6
BHPian

Without trying to make this discussion a UPA vs NDA approach on the National Highway Development Program (although it seems inevitable), I have more hope from the new government simply because of the following-
a) Better co-ordination among different ministries for associated project approvals (Ministry of environment and forest, ministry of railways, home ministry and of-course road and transportation ministry) along with the push from our PM Modi to get these projects executed. The UPA failed miserably in this during their last 10 yrs with each ministry pulling in a different direction (Read- http://archive.dailypioneer.com/toda...ite-paper.html)
b) Frequent changes of NHAI Chairman- NHAI chairman changed atleast 7 times in the last 10 yrs including a period when there was no chairman for 2 consecutive years. How do you expect project execution to take place if the governing body is headless (Read-http://www.businessworld.in/news/Infrastructure/the-road-not-taken/630226/page-1.html)
c) The legacy of the land acquisition bill that UPA has left behind is another spanner in the wheel

I dont doubt for one moment the enormity of this task. Even if it takes not 5 but 10 yrs, it is still worth it in my opinion
interest is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 18:21   #7
BHPian

A great move from the government, i appreciate the sincerity being shown towards the North East region.

Also present government has wealth of knowledge from the ABV government in handling large scale road projects, i wish them all the best for this endeavor
Old 29th April 2015, 19:48   #8
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2015 at 16:09.
TOINGPOING is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th April 2015, 21:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This road will be built, and still be built before the Delhi Jaipur highest gets fixed!

Seriously though, why not just finish on priority the many many incomplete projects? Or is it because the tenders for those have already been awarded?
Old 29th April 2015, 21:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This road will be built, and still be built before the Delhi Jaipur highest gets fixed!

Seriously though, why not just finish on priority the many many incomplete projects? Or is it because the tenders for those have already been awarded?
Exactly! I still remember this tragic story during Golden Quadrilateral project of whistleblower IITian & IAS officer Satyendra Dubey being killed by corrupt mafia despite complaining secretly to PMO.

Hope this time honest officers dont die like this.

http://suchetadalal.com/?id=8d491823...ra+Dubey+Story

Last edited by gsurya : 29th April 2015 at 22:08.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 09:27   #11
BANNED

Absolutely brilliant. Remember how sceptical we all were when the GQ was mooted, by Vajpayee. If not five then six years. I know it will be done! We need this horizontal link.

My wife was saying that it may be done before the Agra Expressway!

Last edited by sgiitk : 30th April 2015 at 09:29.
Old 30th April 2015, 11:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Absolutely brilliant. Remember how sceptical we all were when the GQ was mooted, by Vajpayee. If not five then six years. I know it will be done! We need this horizontal link.

My wife was saying that it may be done before the Agra Expressway!
Yes interestingly the man behind GQ project , Mumbai Pune expressway and 55 flyovers in 18 months in mumbai is same Nitin Gadkari , His physical appearance fits the prototype of caricatured politician and invites derision and skeptism in media but he has 3 consicutive hits.
Old 30th April 2015, 14:07   #13
BHPian

Long ago i remember reading a report on the last page of Business Standard where Mr. AB Vajpayee had mooted the GQ. It was considered ambitious at that time and it happened albeit way behind schedule. However, it was the vision which counted and right now we are reaping the benefits of that.

I hope that this takes off and finshes well so that we can have the pleasure of driving horizontally across India in our lifetimes. Not to mention the trade related benfits that many will reap.

Governments, individuals, politicians will change but similar to last time we need to salute the vision

Last edited by @Chaand : 30th April 2015 at 14:09.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 15:43   #14
BANNED

Going by the quality of the new roads built by this government in Goa, I don't expect this project to be anything great. Road building should be handled by experts in the field and not politicians.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 30th April 2015 at 15:44.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 15:56   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Going by the quality of the new roads built by this government in Goa, I don't expect this project to be anything great. Road building should be handled by experts in the field and not politicians.
Gadkari is also a businessman, and the Mumbai-Pune was sota at that time, at a fraction of the price quoted by others. We all know how the UP-i tired to mess up the GQ. The GQ started with Lucknow-Kanpur on the EW Corridor. Still incomplete!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks