Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:33   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Does this look doable? Experienced folks may comment.
Perfectly doable!

Quote:
[*]Is the yellow tape on right headlamp still needed?
No

Quote:
[*]Good eateries for breakfast around Mira Bhayandar?
Honestly, I would not worry much when I am driving Mumbai - Ahmedabad for good eateries. There are loads of options soon after you enter NH8 after Vasai Creek Bridge and then many more beyond.

Quote:
[*]Lunch options in and on the way to Bharuch - I expect to be in Bharuch by 2 PM - meeting folks who're on Narmada Parikrama. So would like to have lunch together with them - but if not, I'd like to be well fed when hungry
Some options below:
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 18:33   #152
BHPian

Recently experienced driving on both west coast expressways on same day.

While I absolutely loved the Mumbai - Pune expressway, didn't really enjoy the drive on Ahmedabad - Vadodara expressway.

On NE1, there was heavy congestion with trucks occupying both lanes. This is ok, and I was used to similar driving conditions due to Interstate-5 between LA and SF being 2-lanes each direction, and cars were required to weave in and out. But what I hated most on NE1 was unruly GJ numberplates driving at high speeds despite congestion and using buffer as third lane.. This is absolutely dangerous. Also they were honking and using dipper/high-beam-pass signal a lot. That despite the fact that all cars were maintaining good speeds in the congestion, and there was no room for the cars to pass each other. All in all, got bad impression about road manners, and felt we don't deserve good infrastructure. There was no regard for safety or basic common sense.

In stark contrast, Mumbai Pune expressway was pleasant with drivers practicing safe driving distances and speeds and not trying to race each other.

Last edited by Comrade : 1st January 2020 at 18:35.
Comrade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 19:24   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

On NE1, there was heavy congestion with trucks occupying both lanes. This is ok, and I was used to similar driving conditions due to Interstate-5 between LA and SF being 2-lanes each direction, and cars were required to weave in and out. But what I hated most on NE1 was unruly GJ numberplates driving at high speeds despite congestion and using buffer as third lane.. This is absolutely dangerous. Also they were honking and using dipper/high-beam-pass signal a lot. That despite the fact that all cars were maintaining good speeds in the congestion, and there was no room for the cars to pass each other. All in all, got bad impression about road manners, and felt we don't deserve good infrastructure.
Completely agree with you. I travel on NE 1 about 15-20 times a year and the road traffic is just horrific. The cars do not maintain lane rules and in the past 10 years the traffic has just increased rapidly. Also most cars now overtake from the left lane which is very very dangerous.

Earlier this stretch was a bliss to drive but now it has become a pain in the rear.
Old 3rd January 2020, 08:43   #154
BHPian

Looking to travel from Ahmedabad to Mumbai on Monday. Planning to leave Ahmedabad by around 5 am.

Google maps is showing around 8 hrs from Ahmedabad to Thane. Couple of questions:

Is a 5 am start from Ahmedabad good enough to reach Mumbai by around 1 pm?

Current road conditions and particular places where heavy traffic is expected?

Tips from frequent travellers on this route would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:24   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Is a 5 am start from Ahmedabad good enough to reach Mumbai by around 1 pm?
Current road conditions and particular places where heavy traffic is expected?

Tips from frequent travellers on this route would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
I drove to Ahmedabad from Bangalore during the X-mas break so these latest inputs should help.

During onward, we started from Thane (Majiwade) at 10:00 and were at the exit of NE1 onto SP Ring road of Ahmedabad exactly at 17:00. This is 7 hours of travel that also included 3 pit stops that should have lasted for about an hour. This was on a Monday.

During return, we started from Gandhinagar at 07:00 and we entered Vasai creek bridge (Ghodbunder Jn) at 14:00. Again, around 7 hours and with 2 pit stops lasting for around 45 minutes.

In a nutshell, budget 7-8 hours on a normal day between Thane and Ahmedabad with cruising speeds of 100-110 kmph most of the times.

There were zero bottlenecks in both directions. However do note that the small bridge connecting Bharuch - Ankleshwar is under repairs due to which LMVs need to take the same bridge (2nd one in that direction) that LVCs and HVCs take. This caused a very small jam with crawling speeds for not less than 2-3 minutes mainly because the bridge is 2 lane where 3 lane traffic has to converge.

Also, expect snarls while approaching Vasai creek bridge, which is now a regular affair. We hit this around 13:45 on return to Thane and spent around 5 minutes crawling on this bridge to take left towards Thane.

Road conditions are 100% perfect with zero worries. Expect loads of truck traffic on this sector which is absolutely normal. There will be miscellaneous local traffic crossing Vapi, Surat and Bharuch. Beware of vehicles popping out of the median even on fast sections. Expect wrong side motorists around all the towns. All this means, you need to be fully focussed on the road all the times and your speeds should be in controllable limits - 90-100-110 at max. You will see that those who overtook you with breakneck speeds will meet you ahead as 3 trucks would be attempting to overtake each other and hence steady speeds help.

FASTag is very well managed between Mumbai and Ahmedabad.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd January 2020 at 09:40.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:21   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In a nutshell, budget 7-8 hours on a normal day between Thane and Ahmedabad with cruising speeds of 100-110 kmph most of the times.
Thanks Parag. 7-8 hours is what i was also expecting.

Quote:
There will be miscellaneous local traffic crossing Vapi, Surat and Bharuch. Beware of vehicles popping out of the median even on fast sections. Expect wrong side motorists around all the towns. All this means, you need to be fully focussed on the road all the times and your speeds should be in controllable limits - 90-100-110 at max.
Been driving on Gujarat highways for the past 4 years and have experienced such menace very frequently. Just like you said, I always stick to 100-110 max.

Quote:
FASTag is very well managed between Mumbai and Ahmedabad.
Any idea what is the approximate toll charges? And also what car were you driving?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd January 2020 at 10:42. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:28   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Any idea what is the approximate toll charges? And also what car were you driving?
Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries-img_20200103_102702.jpg
I was driving Ertiga.
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:04   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1952447
I was driving Ertiga.
Thanks Parag. Appreciate your quick response.
Old 4th January 2020, 20:42   #159
BHPian

I did this stretch on 30th night and 31st morning this December with a night halt. Took me about 8 hrs from NE1 beginning till Vasai creek. This included two 1-hr breaks in baroda and vapi (dinner and breakfast) and not counting night halt in navsari. Bridge on Narmada @bharuch was single lane as two trucks broke down on the bridge in left lane. That caused about 20 mins delay.
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:57   #160
BHPian

Did Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Mumbai over the weekend.

- Mumbai to Ahmedabad: Stopped at Surat for a night. Mumbai to Surat city took 4.5 hours with 1 lunch break at Giriraj Kathyavadi, Vapi. Surat to Ahmedabad took 3 hours with a quick breakfast halt at honest on NE-1.

- Couple of diversions just ahead of Surat on both sides, it was a smooth passage for us, both ways.

- There was a long 3+ kms jam on the opposite side in the morning at 4am near Bharuch, where there is a small bridge which has 2-lanes.

- Return: Started from Ahmedabad at 3pm, reached mumbai at 11pm. Was stuck for 15 mins at MH checkpost. Fountain was a breeze! This was on a Sunday evening.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 12:59   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
- There was a long 3+ kms jam on the opposite side in the morning at 4am near Bharuch, where there is a small bridge which has 2-lanes.
This and your earlier posts where you got stuck around same region hints at large that wee hours or late night drives on this section be avoided?

It is no brainer that the Truck and Bus traffic at night between Mumbai - Ahmedabad is perhaps the thickest and one the main reasons for jams in case of any road work or accident.

I have another one coming up next month and I need to work out on my timings since this time I am driving with my Dad and it mostly will be a non-stop run from Bangalore.
Old 2nd March 2020, 22:55   #162
BHPian

Quote:
This and your earlier posts where you got stuck around same region hints at large that wee hours or late night drives on this section be avoided?

It is no brainer that the Truck and Bus traffic at night between Mumbai - Ahmedabad is perhaps the thickest and one the main reasons for jams in case of any road work or accident.

I have another one coming up next month and I need to work out on my timings since this time I am driving with my Dad and it mostly will be a non-stop run from Bangalore.
You won’t face jam for longer time (maybe 10-15 minutes at toll plaza) at Bharuch Narmada cross over bridge while traveling towards Ahmedabad. Moreover this highway is little uncertain between Surat and Vadodara but the traffic jams towards mumbai is thicker these days. Hence shouldn’t be much of an issue in your case. 1 more problem you will face is at the toll plaza, the fastag lanes are demarcated but only visible from 100 mtrs distance hence little time is wasted there. No road widening work happening till Ahmedabad other than an accident there’s nothing which will slow you down.
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:55   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
You won’t face jam for longer time (maybe 10-15 minutes at toll plaza) at Bharuch Narmada cross over bridge while traveling towards Ahmedabad.
I drove to Ahmedabad and Rajkot only last December but that was during the day time.

I have also regularly taken this sector through the nights in both directions and I have felt that at night, especially after you cross Surat after 11:00 PM(towards Ahmedabad), you will drive along a sea of buses originating from here heading towards various other destinations in Gujarat, MP and Rajasthan!

Regarding FASTag, I have mostly had positive experiences last December except the NE1 Plazas where things are still not good and this is experienced by most of the travellers. Or else, in general, FASTag is very well managed between Mumbai and Ahmedabad.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 22:19   #164
BHPian

Quote:
I drove to Ahmedabad and Rajkot only last December but that was during the day time.

I have also regularly taken this sector through the nights in both directions and I have felt that at night, especially after you cross Surat after 11:00 PM(towards Ahmedabad), you will drive along a sea of buses originating from here heading towards various other destinations in Gujarat, MP and Rajasthan!

Regarding FASTag, I have mostly had positive experiences last December except the NE1 Plazas where things are still not good and this is experienced by most of the travellers. Or else, in general, FASTag is very well managed between Mumbai and Ahmedabad.
I agree to what you said. IMHO, the traffic on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad stretch is getting thicker day by day, a small error by a driver leads to traffic jam though this being six lane highway all along. Due to Professional engagement I drove to mumbai and back thrice in last 2 months, traffic doesn’t seem to ease at any point of time. Regarding fastag the system is smooth and seamless subject to you find the right lane at toll plaza. Else it feels more like a herd of cars confused which lane to choose.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 13:01   #165
BHPian

Did a solo drive from Pune to Ahmedabad and return last week. Took the usual route Pune- Panvel- Airoli- Thane- Ghudbunder- Vapi- Kadodara- Bharuch- Baroda - Ahmedabad.

The entire drive both ways was a breeze except for the extremely bad roads in Mumbai and the fact that the 2 of my 41k km old tyre that deformed on the way back.

No traffic congestion/ Jam anywhere in the entire route.
If you are travelling on this route make sure to get fastag. We now have dedicated fastag lanes on all the tolls and going through the tolls is now just as simple as stop and go. The dedicated fastag lanes are strictly adhered to and you can save a lot of time this way. There is the usual rush and chaos on the non fastag lanes on all tolls. I had no issue with using the fastag at any of the tolls on the way. The total amount from Pune to Ahmedabad comes to Rs. 780.

I have been driving to GJ from Pune via the same Thane-Belapur road in Mumbai for over 10 years now, but this year I found the road conditions in Mumbai exceptionally bad. Even the road surface over the flyovers has been completely washed off and not repaired at all. I don't really remember any occasion in the past when the roads in Mumbai were so bad except for a few patches, but I guess this time there has been no repairs done at all and the roads made me remember some extremely under developed parts of Jharkhand, Bihar and UP.

Most Viewed