Team-BHP - Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/16440-mumbai-ahmedabad-route-queries.html)

Hi fellow Team- Bhpians I am relocating to Ahmedabad in september, but dont want to send my car by transport so am planning to drive down.
I have the road map, But require your assistance on caution areas of the road, Good eating joints, Fuel Stops, Break down assistance, any any other info.

I will start my drive on 10th morning at 5 am since it is approax 560 kms should take 8- 10 hours, but dont have any clue what the road condition is post the torrential rains.

Also looking out A good Local mechanic for a Zen MPFI when i get there. so local team-bhpians kindly assist.

Hi Kaizer,
I had to relocate from Mumbai to Rajkot about 3 years back and have been doing the Mumbai - Rajkot route since quite often, although I havent driven opn the stretch since about 6-7 months now. I can give you the low down till about March 2006, thats when I last drove on the route.
My time to start from Mumbai is 0500 hours. My car being Indica earlier and NHC now. Since my destination has always been Rajkot and I travel on the route via Ahmedabad rather than the Limbdi route.. I make the lunch halt at Surat. While travelling towards Ahmedabad, there is a toll naka just before the Surat followed by a bridge and Volvo service station on the right side. About 100 mtrs after the service station is Hotel Krishna Park on the left. That is the only hotel we stop at for lunch. (Although I will admit.... post the flood situation at Surat I have my doubts about the health hazard there now....) We reach Surat at about 1030 - 1100 hrs. Since you are travelling only upto Ahmedabad and with the Expresss highway from Vadodra, you should reach Ahd by around 1400 hours.
I have no clue about the condition of the roads post this season's floods. So plan accordingly.

Roads from Mumbai to Charoti are in a real mess because of the rains. Potholes & at times no tarmac at all. Dont expect to speed. Even if you get a clean patch of road, be careful as the next moment you will be required to go dead slow or worse even brake hard. Be careful as the truckers tend to pull into the right lane to avoid potholes. Never overtake from the left as the left lane has more rough & potholed areas.
Since you are not familiar with the route, its better not to exceed speeds of 80-90 kms/hr. PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR A RAILWAY LEVEL CROSSING (INDUSTRIAL) RIGHT ON THE HIGHWAY A LITTLE BEFORE NAVSARI. BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS AS PPL TEND TO BRAKE HARD WHEN THEY SUDDENLY SEE A HUGE SPEEDBREAKER IN FRONT, RESULTING IN SOMEONE BANGING IN FROM THE REAR. Theres another small rail line before Pardi also (5-6 kms after Bagwada toll booth), but not as dangerous. You can halt for tea at Charoti naka 125 kms from S.Mumbai, or at Foodland Rest. @ Talasari (about 140 kms). Lunch at Surat as apurvapatel suggested but not sure how safe it would be post floods. All steer clear from the crazy bikers all along the route.
All the best!
az

Hey Kaizer,

- From Bombay First Came To Vapi,Navsari,Surat,Baroda And From Baroda Take An Express Way For Ahmedabad. Express Way is approx 100 Kms,After The express way take left and then go to sardar patel ring road if You want to go to sarkhej or sarkhej gandhinagar highway or satellite.

- The Road Conditions Between Surat To Baroda are bad because of heavy rains.

- Your Leaving Time is Fine.

- For Foods There are A1 Plaza Before Vapi And Near Bharuch. Other Good Highway Hotels Are Tapi At Bharuch And Tapi At Baroda.

- There Are Approx 4-5 Reliance Pumps.

Hope This Will Help.
If You Have Any Queries Let Me Know.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autozealot
PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR A RAILWAY LEVEL CROSSING (INDUSTRIAL) RIGHT ON THE HIGHWAY A LITTLE BEFORE NAVSARI. BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS AS PPL TEND TO BRAKE HARD WHEN THEY SUDDENLY SEE A HUGE SPEEDBREAKER IN FRONT, RESULTING IN SOMEONE BANGING IN FROM THE REAR. Theres

agree:

Or May Be You Have To Toe Your Car..

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Wow guys thanks for the Quick inputs, hope to meet up with some bhpians from gujrat as i am totally new to the place, been a bombay guy all my life. so this is my first trip there.

I would like to add the following,

Be cautious about-

speeding dumperwallas (a real pain on the hi-way) uptill Virar; let them pass by if they honk

road surfaces before & after the brigdes are in bad condtion, go slow (specially the one above the Daman-ganga river)

Vehicles taking a right to Silvassa (off Bhilad) will not let you overtake from the right side, so plan your moves in advance. Its a good idea not to exceed speed of 30 km/ hr as its a busy junction.

Fuel- Reliance pumps are good to tank up at, but they are more expensive then HP, BP or Indianoil pumps. For eg diesel/ litre in Bhilad (Guj) costs 12 paise more at Reliance pumps than Mumbai. In Guj. you pay approx Rs. 2.25/ ltr less than Mumbai, depending on the location. Modern HP/BP pumps at major juctions like Manor, Vapi, Valsad, Chikli, Navsari, Surat, Baroda etc are mostly recommended.

bye

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaizer Sozay
Wow guys thanks for the Quick inputs, hope to meet up with some bhpians from gujrat as i am totally new to the place, been a bombay guy all my life. so this is my first trip there.

I Am Ready For Meet And Welcome To Gujarat.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Hi guys thanks for the inputs till now, will keep them in mind.
As of now my tentative date is the 10th when i drive to ahmedabad.
Any update on the road condition any improvements?
Does Ahmedabad have a regular Team -Bhp Meet.
I am going to be totally new to the city, so will need the local info from you all.
Thanks again guys.

Quote:

Hi guys thanks for the inputs till now, will keep them in mind.
As of now my tentative date is the 10th when i drive to ahmedabad.
I am going to be totally new to the city, so will need the local info from you all.
Thanks again guys.

Hai Sozay,

I am HQed in A'bad for eons. Buzz me on 9377203000 if you need help here. As far as I know there is'n't any meet here.

--Ramky

-------

Quote:

Thanks again guys.

Hey Kaizer,

I Had Talked With My Relative Who Lives At Baroda, He Told Me That All The Potholes Are Repaired.
Let Me Know When To Meet.

Let Me Know If You Want Any Information.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Guys thanks for all the inputs but there has been a sudden change of events :Shockked: just go the know that my job posting will now not be at Ahmedabad but at Nagpur....

Really apreciate all the inputs will defintely drive down to ahmedabad one day...
Now need to collect Info on the Mumbai ahmedabad route

To bump up an old thread and not waste space in creating a new one:

My family and I are travelling from Mumbai to Ahmedabad on either the 1st or 2nd or 3rd April (Haven't 100% fixed the date) and returning either 17th or 18th April.

What are the road conditions like?
Am I hitting any religious dates that would make the roads busier or quieter? What is traffic like around the major towns/cities? Roadworks?

I am planning to start quite early, around 7am (or slightly earlier if possible) and hope to do the trip without too many unnecessary stops.

Any advice from seasoned travellers or someone who has very recently done the drive?

Thanks

Raja, check Ramkya1's post in November :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramkya1 (Post 622225)
Started from Ahmedabad 0500 AM on 8th morning, Baroda Express highway exit - 108 KM - 615am, road surface bad from hereon , traffic blocks for next 94 kms - reached nyay mandir - 0800 am, road work in progress all the way from here till Surat for the next 79 KMs (totally about 173 KMS from Baroda exit)heavy blocks on the way, chaios and the blocks can be anywhere between 3-4 hours. We were lucky, drove on the left shoulder of the road for about 40 kms on the edge, they have left that for small vehicles, sedans will rip bottom, only jeeps /suv's can go.

Road fentastic after Baleswar, we reached - 1015 am (so from Baroda exit to Baleswar 173 kms, 615am to 1015, 4 hours with braekfast break at Nyay Mandir for 45 mts) 4 track all the way to Manor for the next 243 KMS, from there to hotel fountain 28 kms rough surface, trucks twisting left /right to avoid craters. Lunch @ braek for 1 hr there and took directions from HVk again on the phone.

Have done 2 round trips by Volvo last week. Ahmedabad - Baroda is excellent. Baroda onwards, there's work in progress. Road surface is often not very good. Expect cargo traffic.

Start even earlier since the major traffic jams are in Surat bypass (gets progressively worse as the day wears on) and Ankleshwar town (very bad in evening time). Baroda bypass also has lots of construction work (5 flyovers!) but traffic is more well regulated. Don't be too much of a gentleman, use the road shoulders to break free of the long lines of trucks piled up.