Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 21:03   #271
BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrider View Post
I took the diversion at Sankeshwar on NH4, I cant confirm the travel time as we stopped a lot to see the sights. You should reach the ghats after travelling 50-60 Kms off NH4, total ghat section is 30-40 Km. Its always advisable to cross the ghats during the day.

We took a video of the Amboli ghats, you can see the road conditions in this.
Picture 157.MOV - YouTube
Wow Lazyrider! - Team BHP rocks! I could not have asked for more - I got the feel that I was right there - this is going to be one cool drive.

Want one clarification although - that bad section with water and red mud - is it that 100 meters of bad road where the landslide occurred earlier this year

Old 14th December 2011, 21:27   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
As I understand - earlier the start the better - and the ghats are madgao - is it ok starting the drive at 4 from Hubli

4 am or 4 pm ?? Got confused

4 am is too early, sunlight is available only after 6 am. You can start at 6 am you should be in Panjim by 11 am. For breakfast there are lot of options in Goa highways.

4 pm - is a little too late. The sunlight is gone after 6 pm, and you would have reached just Ankola by 6 pm. So doing Goa ghats is not advisable at night unless you are a night driving expert. I would not recommend Ghats at night.

cheers
changaez
Old 14th December 2011, 22:02   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Wow Lazyrider! - Team BHP rocks! I could not have asked for more - I got the feel that I was right there - this is going to be one cool drive.

Want one clarification although - that bad section with water and red mud - is it that 100 meters of bad road where the landslide occurred earlier this year

The bad road is not shown in the video, and as I said its nothing to worry about, as you see repiar was underway, so hopefully even the bad road should be repaired by now.
Old 15th December 2011, 09:27   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by changaez View Post
4 am or 4 pm ?? Got confused

4 am is too early, sunlight is available only after 6 am. You can start at 6 am you should be in Panjim by 11 am. For breakfast there are lot of options in Goa highways.

4 pm - is a little too late. The sunlight is gone after 6 pm, and you would have reached just Ankola by 6 pm. So doing Goa ghats is not advisable at night unless you are a night driving expert. I would not recommend Ghats at night.

cheers
changaez
Hi

I meant 4 AM - just thought would take two to three hours to reach the start of the ghats - by that time it would be 6 AM and daylight would be available to do the ghats - reaching Goa by 9 AM.

In case I do start late - by 6 AM as per your advise - suggest some nice stop for Breakfast on the Goa highway

Old 15th December 2011, 09:33   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I meant 4 AM - just thought would take two to three hours to reach the start of the ghats - by that time it would be 6 AM and daylight would be available to do the ghats - reaching Goa by 9 AM.

In case I do start late - by 6 AM as per your advise - suggest some nice stop for Breakfast on the Goa highway

You can also stop for Breakfast at Karwar beach, there are a few joints there which you can try. The view from the Karwar beach in the morning is nice

I didn't stop for breakfast anywhere just munched on few things in the car itself. There were quite a few places on the Goa highways which you can try, but sorry i have tried any one to recommend.

cheers
Old 15th December 2011, 09:36   #276
BHPian

Quote:
You can also stop for Breakfast at Karwar beach, there are a few joints there which you can try. The view from the Karwar beach in the morning is nice

I didn't stop for breakfast anywhere just munched on few things in the car itself. There were quite a few places on the Goa highways which you can try, but sorry i have tried any one to recommend.

cheers
Yes we would like to reach Goa ASAP and leave Goa as late as possible!

However Would give this Karwar beach a spin - if I make good time and am early enough - for would like to reach Goa before 11 AM and beat the inbound traffic as suggested by the forum

Old 15th December 2011, 09:39   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Although the route is very straight forward from Hubli, driving in the dark on the ghats is not something i would recommend. There is heavy vehicle traffic mostly trucks with timber on this route.

If you are confident you can give it a shot.
Old 15th December 2011, 09:56   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Although the route is very straight forward from Hubli, driving in the dark on the ghats is not something i would recommend. There is heavy vehicle traffic mostly trucks with timber on this route.

If you are confident you can give it a shot.
So if I understand correctly - if I want to do Karwar I would need to take the Hubli - Goa route via NH 63 and this would take five hours in the morning with heavy truck traffic - in case I start from Hubli.

If on the contrary if I take the Belgaum - Amboli Ghat - Goa route there would be no Karwar to cross - how much time would I take from Belgaum - Goa in the morning - via Amboli Ghat?
Old 15th December 2011, 10:05   #279
BHPian

Quote:
So if I understand correctly - if I want to do Karwar I would need to take the Hubli - Goa route via NH 63 and this would take five hours in the morning with heavy truck traffic - in case I start from Hubli.

If on the contrary if I take the Belgaum - Amboli Ghat - Goa route there would be no Karwar to cross - how much time would I take from Belgaum - Goa in the morning - via Amboli Ghat?
Tiny little clarification "heavy truck traffic" is to be read as "heavy truck" - traffic not as "heavy" - truck traffic.

Yes if you want to try Karwar you should take Hubli, the Hubli Goa route is very beautiful to drive. Karwar is def worth a visit

Not sure on the Belgaum - Amboli route though, i guess that also takes about 4 -4.5 hours. May be you can do Hubli - Karwar while coming and return via Amboli route
Old 15th December 2011, 10:33   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Tiny little clarification "heavy truck traffic" is to be read as "heavy truck" - traffic not as "heavy" - truck traffic.

Yes if you want to try Karwar you should take Hubli, the Hubli Goa route is very beautiful to drive. Karwar is def worth a visit

Not sure on the Belgaum - Amboli route though, i guess that also takes about 4 -4.5 hours. May be you can do Hubli - Karwar while coming and return via Amboli route
I think that is a great idea - - so now here goes - I will do the Belgaum - Hubli - Karwar - Goa while going to Goa - just give me the route and turnoff/exit points from Hubli to Goa
Old 15th December 2011, 14:44   #281
BHPian

Quote:

Both routes seem to be good based on the feedback, take the Karwar route if you are planning to stay in South Goa, take the Amboli route for North Goa. Both drives are very scenic. Do both if you feel like it.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:16   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrider View Post
Both routes seem to be good based on the feedback, take the Karwar route if you are planning to stay in South Goa, take the Amboli route for North Goa. Both drives are very scenic. Do both if you feel like it.
That is what I will do - one while going in and the other while returning just need some detailing as to when going to Goa via Hubli
Old 15th December 2011, 21:37   #283
BHPian

Quote:
I think that is a great idea - - so now here goes - I will do the Belgaum - Hubli - Karwar - Goa while going to Goa - just give me the route and turnoff/exit points from Hubli to Goa
Sir ji,

Please check on the Belgaum - Hubli route, i have no clue on the road condition. Hubli hotel staff mentioned that it is not in good shape, double check with some one.

cheers

Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Madgoan - Panjim it is very straight forward, there are road signals everywhere so you would not miss it. You can refer google maps for this section of the route.
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:39   #284
BHPian

Just returned from Hyderabad to Goa drive from 26th Dec 2011 to 2nd Jan. 2012. I took the Maharashtra route. More details coming up later.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:18   #285

Re: Hyderabad - Goa (Bijapur-Bagalkot stretch)

Hi all,

I am planning to do a North Karnataka Road trip sometime towards Jan 20 timeframe. Wanted to understand the best route between Bagalkot and Bijapur (Gol Gumbuz).

Need the following info.
1. Best route and time required for travel?
2. Good hotels to stay in Bijapur. Budget around 1.5k.
3. Best route to get to Bangalore from Bijapur. If I can latch onto NH4 at Hubli, then directions from Bijapur to Hubli and best route/time. Or alternate route.

Thanks in advance.
Naveen

Most Viewed