Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2013, 23:59   #616
BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Started my trip from Hyderabad to Goa - Will write a detailed travelogue once back.
Live Update on 6/Oct/2013
Hyderabad -> Mahbubnagar -> Raichur -> Bagalkot -> Belgaum
Road Condition:
Overall:
At least a million speed breakers (slight exaggeration here). But speed breakers before and after every village, mostly before and after every X roads. Need to be on a lookout for them. :-)
The roads before, in and after a village were in pathetic condition for most of the journey, not sure if they are left in such a condition by the government so that people are forced to slow down. But, they do take away a lot of travel time.
Hyderabad -> Mahbubnagar: Excellent till Jadcerla, then drivable till Mahbubnagar, the cars can live with these roads.
Mahbubnagar -> Raichur: Nothing to write about, roads are OK to pathetic at places, but can drive this once also.
Raichur -> NH13 meeting point:
Followed Google maps and took a bypass in Raichur to reach SH20 toward Bagalkot. SH20 is pathetic to non-existent till Sirwar i.e around 40 kms, I really had a Sirdard (headache) on this. Roads tend to improve slightly post Sirwar, but please note, it is just slightly till Lingsugar. The roads onwards are OK to Not-so-OK till we hit NH13. This stretch look a lot of time and energy. Not sure if there is an alternative road here.
NH13 touch point -> Bagalkot -> Belgaum: What a lovely road to drive. SH20 is in impeccable state and lovely to drive on. Pass through a number of small towns/villages, so please look out for the speed-breakers.
Rest in Belgaum as of now. :-)
Planning to take Belgaum -> Chorla -> Panjim on 7/Oct/2013, any quick advises on the roads?
Old 7th October 2013, 08:08   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Kabir View Post
Rest in Belgaum as of now.
1) Where are you staying in Belgaum? Need pointers for own stay when I go to Goa.

2) How much was the travel time from Hyderabad to Belgaum? What was the start point in Hyderabad?
Old 7th October 2013, 08:17   #618
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
1) Where are you staying in Belgaum? Need pointers for own stay when I go to Goa.
Sankam is a very good and effective place (for reaching to the place and latching on to the highway)

http://www.sankam.in/
Old 7th October 2013, 10:26   #619
BHPian

Quote:

2) How much was the travel time from Hyderabad to Belgaum? What was the start point in Hyderabad?
1) I am staying at Hotel Eefa in Belgaum, slightly on the costlier side, but a real nice hotel.

2) I started from Gautam Enclave, Secunderabad. The travel time with breaks (maybe 1 - 1.5 hour) was around 11 hours.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:01   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Hyderabad -> Mahbubnagar: Excellent till Jadcerla, then drivable till Mahbubnagar, the cars can live with these roads.
No need to enter Jadcherla. Stay on NH7 till Bhootpur. Take a right, and 8km later you are on outskirts of Mahboobnagar, bypassing all the traffic too.
Quote:
Mahbubnagar -> Raichur: Nothing to write about, roads are OK to pathetic at places, but can drive this once also...
...SH20 is pathetic to non-existent till Sirwar i.e around 40 kms, I really had a Sirdard (headache) on this.
I am surprised. Mobike and I did this route in August. While not smooth, we still got respectable average speeds out of it. Some pictures would help here. I have a feeling you were expecting the road to be as good as the NH7 all the way through. KA SH20 is one of the best state highways to drive on in this country.
Quote:
NH13 touch point -> Bagalkot -> Belgaum: What a lovely road to drive. SH20 is in impeccable state and lovely to drive on. ...
Yes, it is .
Quote:
Planning to take Belgaum -> Chorla -> Panjim on 7/Oct/2013, any quick advises on the roads?
No need to advice you on this route. It is absolutely fantastic.
Old 11th October 2013, 00:53   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
No need to enter Jadcherla. Stay on NH7 till Bhootpur. Take a right, and 8km later you are on outskirts of Mahboobnagar, bypassing all the traffic too.

I am surprised. Mobike and I did this route in August. While not smooth, we still got respectable average speeds out of it. Some pictures would help here. I have a feeling you were expecting the road to be as good as the NH7 all the way through. KA SH20 is one of the best state highways to drive on in this country.

Yes, it is .

No need to advice you on this route. It is absolutely fantastic.
1. I think I missed it, but will try it next time.

2. Not sure when you did it, but the road condition between Raichur and Sirvar is in bad condition. No, I wasn't expecting NH7 like condition but at least SH20 from Hungund like condition. As I mentioned, it did improve a bit from Sirvar onwards, not smooth, but decent.

3. Belgaum to Chorla is excellent, haven't seen a better ghat road. Chorla to Querim is pathetic, the road is missing at most of the places. When I asked the guy at the Toll plaza, he mentioned that the tender for this road has been passed and construction should start in the next few months, so hopefully in the next few months or maybe a year (provided work happens), this road should also be good. It starts getting better from Poriem. I took Mapusa to reach Panjim and that road is pretty decent all the way.

Planning to do the below on 12/Oct/2013, any quick thoughts

Panjim -> Palolem -> Karwar - NH17 - Supposedly in good condition
Karwar -> Hubli - NH17/NH63 - Again in good condition
Hubli -> Hospet - NH63 - Think it is in good condition
Old 11th October 2013, 20:30   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to do the below on 12/Oct/2013, any quick thoughts

Panjim -> Palolem -> Karwar - NH17 - Supposedly in good condition
Karwar -> Hubli - NH17/NH63 - Again in good condition
Hubli -> Hospet - NH63 - Think it is in good condition
Did this route today... Live updates

NH17 till Karwar - Excellent
NH63 till Hubli - Almost excellent, few stretches have potholes and few are slightly bad... But nothing to worry about, just need to keep the eyes open and slow down as required.
NH63 till Hospet - Very decent till Hospet, at few stretches, you can easily do 110 without noticing the speedo.
Old 15th October 2013, 12:43   #623
BHPian

Back to Hyderabad after a 2000 kms drive around India. Hyderabad -> Goa -> Hampi -> Hyderabad.
India is a lovely country to explore and the best way to do it is on the roads. :-)

Did the Hampi -> Hyderabad route yesterday (14/Oct/2013)...
Hospet to Gooty on NH63
===================
This road is OK at most of the places, few stretches are bad, but nothing that should be problematic. Loads of speed-breakers, small villages, took around 3 hours for the 150 kms.
The detailed break-up
Hospet to Toranagal - Just OK, please note that the road (NH63) just before entering Toranagal has broken over a canal, one can take a detour and join SH40 and then come back on NH63. For cars, one can just go around the canal on a muddy road and join back NH63.
Toranagal to Bellary - Bad to OK. One can go through bellary or take the ORR near bellary and join back NH63. The ORR also has a bridge not ready, so another detour that requires one to cross a railway crossing. The hump before the crossing is as big as it gets and most of the cars will have their underbelly kissed here.
Bellary to Guntakal - OK
Guntakal to Gooty - OK to Good. Few patches are broken, but overall a decent road.

Gooty to Hyd on NH7 - One needs to travel around 6 kms after hitting Gooty to join on the NH44/NH7, then it is breeze till Hyderabad. :-)
Saint_Kabir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 13:13   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Hyderabad -> Mahbubnagar -> Raichur -> Bagalkot -> Belgaum -> Chorla -> Panjim
Quote:
NH17 till Karwar - Excellent
NH63 till Hubli - Almost excellent
NH63 till Hospet
Quote:
Hospet to Gooty on NH63
Gooty to Hyd on NH7 - One needs to travel around 6 kms after hitting Gooty to join on the NH44/NH7, then it is breeze till Hyderabad. :-)
I just checked the map and saw that the direct route of Hyd-Raichur-Bagalkot-Belgaum-Chorla-Arpora (http://goo.gl/maps/RABAA) is 648km.

An alternate route of Hyd-Raichur-Gangawati-Koppal-Hubli--Belgaum-Chorla-Arpora (http://goo.gl/maps/vlGCD) is 714km, 66km extra.

Will it be worthwhile to do the extra 66km? Will it get me much better roads than what you got?

Other gurus may also please pitch in with their suggestions and advise!
Old 15th October 2013, 18:45   #625
BHPian

Quote:
I just checked the map and saw that the direct route of Hyd-Raichur-Bagalkot-Belgaum-Chorla-Arpora (http://goo.gl/maps/RABAA) is 648km.

An alternate route of Hyd-Raichur-Gangawati-Koppal-Hubli--Belgaum-Chorla-Arpora (http://goo.gl/maps/vlGCD) is 714km, 66km extra.

Will it be worthwhile to do the extra 66km? Will it get me much better roads than what you got?

Other gurus may also please pitch in with their suggestions and advise!
I did Hyderabad -> Mahboobnagar -> Raichur, the roads were OK, but other BHPians have advised Hyd - > Bhootpur - > Raichur, so this can be the preferable route till Raichur.

Raichur -> Bagalkot is Bad, Just OK and OK, in the order from Raichur.

Bagalkot -> Belgaum -> Chorla is Good. Chorla -> Querim is pathetic, as bad as it can get. Then onwards it is pretty OK till Goa.

Not sure if the alternate route is going to help in a big way as you are planning to get back to Belgaum again. In case you want to head to Hubli, then the it is better to go via Ankola, Karwar.

The alternatives you have
Option 1: Go via Raichur, Belgaum - The road till Raichur is OK (better via Bhootpur). I think the bypass at Raichur is functional (please ask someone), so one can avoid Raichur. Please refer to my thread for complete details.

Option 2: Go via Humnabad, Gulburga, Bijapur - The road till Humnabad (NH9) is in pathetic state at places, it is OK till Sangareddy, then bad till Zaheerabad and then pathetic, but the road from Humnabad to Belgaum (SH218/SN20) is supposed to be in good condition.

From Belgaum, one can also take the Amboli, Sawantwadi road to avoid Chorla road.

Option 3: Raichur, Hubli, Karwar - This route might be OK, but it is a long one. http://goo.gl/maps/HCcQQ

I hope this information helps. Please update the route you finally decide and then take it along with the road information.
Saint_Kabir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 11:47   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if the alternate route is going to help in a big way as you are planning to get back to Belgaum again. In case you want to head to Hubli, then the it is better to go via Ankola, Karwar.

The alternatives you have
Option 1: Go via Raichur, Belgaum - The road till Raichur is OK (better via Bhootpur). I think the bypass at Raichur is functional (please ask someone), so one can avoid Raichur. Please refer to my thread for complete details.

Option 2: Go via Humnabad, Gulburga, Bijapur - The road till Humnabad (NH9) is in pathetic state at places, it is OK till Sangareddy, then bad till Zaheerabad and then pathetic, but the road from Humnabad to Belgaum (SH218/SN20) is supposed to be in good condition. From Belgaum, one can also take the Amboli, Sawantwadi road to avoid Chorla road.

Option 3: Raichur, Hubli, Karwar - This route might be OK, but it is a long one. http://goo.gl/maps/HCcQQ
Despite going from Hubli to Belgaum, the route is still much shorter than the one from Hubli via Karwar.

Option 2 is ruled out after seeing the photographs put up by RanjitP on another thread.

Option 3 is tentatively being ruled out due to the extra distance involved.

As you have said in your post that the road conditions are nothing great between Raichur and Bagalkot, I am thinking of adding 66km extra travel to get better roads. The 66km extra will easily get compensated in terms of time taken as I will get to drive on the GQ between Hubli and Belgaum.

JeetAman has reported Raichur-Hospet to be in good condition, you have reported Hospet-Hubli to be in good condition, Hubli-Belgaum is GQ so must be in good condition and rest of the route is anyway common.

What do you think? What about the thoughts by other gurus including HVK, Ampere, RanjitP, etc.?
Old 17th October 2013, 12:48   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Despite going from Hubli to Belgaum, the route is still much shorter than the one from Hubli via Karwar.

Option 2 is ruled out after seeing the photographs put up by RanjitP on another thread.

Option 3 is tentatively being ruled out due to the extra distance involved.

As you have said in your post that the road conditions are nothing great between Raichur and Bagalkot, I am thinking of adding 66km extra travel to get better roads. The 66km extra will easily get compensated in terms of time taken as I will get to drive on the GQ between Hubli and Belgaum.

JeetAman has reported Raichur-Hospet to be in good condition, you have reported Hospet-Hubli to be in good condition, Hubli-Belgaum is GQ so must be in good condition and rest of the route is anyway common.

What do you think? What about the thoughts by other gurus including HVK, Ampere, RanjitP, etc.?
I think Hyd -> Raichur -> Hospet -> Hubli -> Belgaum might be a good route, but please do note, Belgaum -> Chorla -> Goa will have few bad patches.

But keeping in view that rest of the route is OK, you should be open to few bad patches.

BTW, which vehicle will you be traveling in? If you will be using a SUV, Raichur -> Bhagalkot -> Belgaum can also be done, this will surely be shorter.

Option 3 might give you the best road possible on this route, so in case you want to plan a visit to Hampi (Hospet) in between, this should be the route you take.
Old 1st November 2013, 15:52   #628
BHPian

I am planning to drive from Hyderabad to North Goa with a halt at Belgaum and later via Chorla Ghat as I have been given to understand that Chorla is the best choice between Amboli, Chorla and Ponda.

I am thinking between these 2 choices :

Route 1 : Hyderabad - Raichur - Bagalkot - Belgaum - Chorla - North Goa = 650km

Route 2 : Hyderabad - Raichur - Koppal - Hubli - Belgaum - Chorla - North Goa = 710km

The route from Hyderabad to Raichur (and further 7 miles after Raichur till Saat Meel Junction) is common between both and is 196km.

The route between Belgaum and North Goa via Chorla is also common between both and is 123km.

Route 1 after Saat Meel Junction after Raichur till Belgaum is totally on Karnataka SH20 via Lingasugur & Bagalkot and is 331km as per Google Maps.

Route 2 after Saat Mile Junction after Raichur is on Karnataka SH23 for 163km and then on NH63 for 131km while the final 97km is on NH4/GQ between Hubli & Belgaum and the total is 391km as per Google Maps.

Though Route 2 is 60km longer compared to Route 1, it also has 97km of 4-laned GQ apart from 131km of NH.

My question is which route will be better in terms of road conditions and driving time?
Old 1st November 2013, 18:14   #629
Senior - BHPian

@Hyd_traveller, the only portion of route 1 that is not all that great is the stretch from Saat Meel Jn till Bagalkot via Lingsugur. A couple of months back, mobike008 used that route and found it to be ok. But from Bagalkot, the route was reportedly fantastic.

Have things deteriorated so much that you are thinking of option 2, which is 60 kms longer? If yes, then route 2 is worth the extra distance.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:59   #630
BHPian

I had gone to drop my son for his bus and while waiting for his bus to start, I saw a Kesineni Multi Axle Volvo standing there bound for Goa from Hyderabad.

I asked that bus driver about the route he takes. He informed me that he takes Mahbubnagar-Raichur-Bagalkot-Belgaum-Ponda route.

He saw my sedan and advised me not to even think about venturing on the Blegaum-Ponda-Goa route and to stick to the route via Chorla Ghat.

He also told me that a 40km stretch after Raichur till beyond Sirvar is in a shabby state which will need me to drive slow but makes no difference to him and he does not even slow down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks