Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 16:59   #856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Any update on whether the bridge over the Krishna is open after repairs at Raichur?It was closed for about two months in June/July making people opt for the Kurnool-Raichur route to reach Raichur.

Also any update on the status of the Gooty-Hospet section of NH67?
Should have opened else it would have been in the news.

Gooty - Hospet is horrendous and a 100% off road driving experience. Used in end July 2016. Though, Raichur - Gadwal was not any better on the return.
hyd_traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 11:01   #857
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Google suggests raichur route however from the thread understand Bijapur route is better. Any advice on route?
I know that this a delayed response to KD007, who has completed his trip. But just thought of sharing an update regarding the Raichur route to Goa.

Spoke to an acquaintance who travel to S Goa quite regularly. He regularly drives via Mahbubnagar-Raichur-Belagavi-S Goa and completes the trip in 12 hours.
Old 25th December 2016, 00:04   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
I know that this a delayed response to KD007, who has completed his trip. But just thought of sharing an update regarding the Raichur route to Goa.

Spoke to an acquaintance who travel to S Goa quite regularly. He regularly drives via Mahbubnagar-Raichur-Belagavi-S Goa and completes the trip in 12 hours.
Which would.mean.you could easily plan to stay at Belgaum on Day 1
Old 27th December 2016, 11:40   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post

Im planning to take this route in the first week of Jan. Goa - Belgaum - Raichur - Hyderabad. This is the route suggested by Google Maps as well. A friend of mine suggested the route Belgaum - Dharward - Hubli - Gangavati - Raichur. Is this the same route to be taken from Belgaum to Raichur?

Kindly do let me know. Travelling with Wife and child. Any good places to eat along the way? We are not planning to stay anywhere in between, except for some pit stops.

What would be an ideal time to start from Panjim?
Old 28th December 2016, 09:46   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsnchops View Post
Im planning to take this route in the first week of Jan. Goa - Belgaum - Raichur - Hyderabad. This is the route suggested by Google Maps as well. A friend of mine suggested the route Belgaum - Dharward - Hubli - Gangavati - Raichur. Is this the same route to be taken from Belgaum to Raichur?
I understand that Goa-Belgaum-Bagalkot-Raichur is also an option. Using Raichur Bagalkot highway is supposed to be the quickest route to Belgaum.

My input is based on hearsay and not I have not actually driven the route. Maybe a BHPian who has actually traveled could validate this suggested route.
Old 28th December 2016, 12:41   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsnchops View Post

Kindly do let me know. Travelling with Wife and child. Any good places to eat along the way? We are not planning to stay anywhere in between, except for some pit stops.

What would be an ideal time to start from Panjim?
The Gangavati route is as follows:Hubli-Bagalkot-Koppal-Budugumpa Cross-Gangavati-Sindhanur-Raichur.Koppal to Budugumpa Cross,road widening was on(must have been completed now). Hubli to Koppal is usually good(I dont have the latest )

Gangavathi-Raichur has been traditionally average.

The Bijapur route is same till Bagalkot after which you divert to the Bijapur highway and go via Gulbarga-Sedam-Kodangal-Chevella-Hyd.

As per a recent update on one of the posts,Raichur route seems to be good..

https://goo.gl/maps/HWKfABFPqMz

Irrespective of the route you take,it is going to be a 13-15hr drive with breaks.Beyond Hubli hardly any places of any mention for eating.Suggestion would be to pack lunch from your hotel or from Hubli.
https://goo.gl/maps/aHVqkMg2FRz
Old 8th January 2017, 12:33   #862
BHPian

Guys, bumping up the thread again. I am starting tonight (Tentatively at 0001 hours 09 Jan) and I wanted a final word on the two routes that I could glean from this thread.

1. Hyderabad - Chevalla - Pargi - Kodangal - Sedam - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Bagalkot - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Margao - Colva

2. Hyderabad - Mahboobnagar - Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangavati - Koppal - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Margao - Colva

Traveling with wife and a 4 year old. Will plan to freshen up at Belgaum cantt.

Would be grateful if I could get a rough breakdown of timings between important towns.

Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 13:46   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
1. Hyderabad - Chevalla - Pargi - Kodangal - Sedam - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Bagalkot - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Margao - Colva

2. Hyderabad - Mahboobnagar - Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangavati - Koppal - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Margao - Colva

I suggest 2.

However, I advise against a midnight start since travelling with wife and 4 year old on either routes. No untoward incidents heard by me but I would postpone the start to 4am/5am. But. Then. Better safe than sorry.
hyd_traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 15:18   #864
BHPian

Attachment 1593525
Quote:
Guys, bumping up the thread again. I am starting tonight (Tentatively at 0001 hours 09 Jan) and I wanted a final word on the two routes that I could glean from this thread.

Would be grateful if I could get a rough breakdown of timings between important towns.

Thanks

Hello Hunter,

I reached Hyderabad from Goa two days back. The route I took was Panjim - Belgaum - Bagalkot - Lingsur - Raichur - Mahbubnagar - Hyderabad

I started at about 5am from Panjim and reached home by 5.30 pm. We had just one major stop at Belgaum Sankam Residency. Excellent place to stay as well as freshen up. Their breakfast is amazing. Had a heavy breakfast and did not stop anywhere else.

There are no decent places to eat or to take a loo break. Please pack some food from home and you can enjoy it enroute. The roads are good to very good. Out of 670 kms, may be about 20 kms would be bad roads, that too not at a stretch. So the route is worth trying. There are many villages that come enroute and take for granted that there would be atleast two to three pairs of speed breakers at the start and end of each village. Some of them are nasty ones. The roads are two lane roads mostly but there is hardly any traffic. So you can maintain speeds of upto 120 easily.

This is the stretch from Belgaum to Bagalkot.

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-20170107photo00001798.jpg

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-20170107photo00001800.jpg

NH167 to Mehbubnagar is not as great, but still quite driveable.

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-20170107photo00001803.jpg

A large portion is newly tarred as well.

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-20170107photo00001804.jpg

Before you hit Mehbubnagar, my google map took me on a detour, skirting mehbubnagar totally. Its a 17 km stretch, narrow roads and mostly desolate. So recommended for day driving only.

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-20170107photo00001805.jpg

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-20170107photo00001808.jpg

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-20170107photo00001809.jpg

Once I got through the 17kms detour (last 2 kms have bad roads). I entered the beautiful Srinagar - Kanyakumari Highway NH 44. Its an 83 km stretch till I entered ORR for another 40 kms. So the last 120 odd kms were excellent.

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-20170107photo00001810.jpg

I was travelling with my wife and my 7 year old daughter. There's nothing much to see around. So stock up on good music. My car was a Scorpio. So maneuvering potholes were easier with big tyres.

Hope you have a great trip.
chipsnchops is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 15:39   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I suggest 2.

However, I advise against a midnight start since travelling with wife and 4 year old on either routes. No untoward incidents heard by me but I would postpone the start to 4am/5am. But. Then. Better safe than sorry.
I completely agree with hyd_traveller. Its best to start at about 4am. You will be able to cover a lot of ground by 9am when the traffic starts. Even then, you will find some congestion only in the towns. I drove whole day and I could maintain good speeds. Once you leave towns, the traffic becomes really sparse. If you are passing through villages, there are plenty of speed breakers, which are not marked at all. It would really help you and the car if you are passing them in daylight.

There is no great advantage that you would get on this route by travelling at night.
Old 10th January 2017, 21:08   #866
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys. I started from Hyd at 0200 and followed the route Hyd - Parigi - Sedam-Bijapur - Belgaum - Amboli - Colva.

Plan was to reach Belgaum by 10 AM and take a break to freshen up and have breakfast. But could hit Bijapur by 9 and took a break there. Reached Belgaum at 3 PM. Traversed the Amboli route and finally reached Colva at 9 PM.

A total of around 800 kms. Either I bungled up big time in understanding the route or I was too slow. Couldn't have been slow since I made good ground at whatever open stretches I encountered and my Brand new Lodgy Stepway was a breeze to drive.

I request you guys to suggest a shorter route for my return journey to Hyd. Will start by 12 PM and from South Goa.

Thank you all
Old 10th January 2017, 23:20   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs guys. I started from Hyd at 0200 and followed the route Hyd - Parigi - Sedam-Bijapur - Belgaum - Amboli - Colva.

Plan was to reach Belgaum by 10 AM and take a break to freshen up and have breakfast. But could hit Bijapur by 9 and took a break there. Reached Belgaum at 3 PM. Traversed the Amboli route and finally reached Colva at 9 PM.

I request you guys to suggest a shorter route for my return journey to Hyd. Will start by 12 PM and from South Goa.

Thank you all
Firstly there are no short routes between Goa and Hyderabad.Irrespective of the route,the drive time between North/South Goa and Hyderabad is going to be 13-15hours with breaks and the distance is going to be around 800kms.

Hyderabad-Bijapur:5-6hours / approx 400kms
Bijapur-Sankam(Belgaum):4-5hrs/approx 220kms
Belgaum-Panjim(via Anmod-Mollem):3-4hrs/150kms

For your return,you could retrace the same route or take Panjim - Belgaum - Bagalkot - Lingsur - Raichur - Mahbubnagar -Bhoothpur-Jadcherla- Hyderabad

https://goo.gl/maps/XLqJCLjeLtv

If you want an easy paced drive,leave Goa after lunch,stay the night at Belgaum and leave Belgaum after breakfast to reach Hyderabad by evening.Pack lunch from Belgaum hotel.This was your eating headaches are also sorted out and you would have rested well too.
Old 14th January 2017, 13:12   #868
BHPian

Thank you for the help. I started from Goa at 12 PM and headed to Belgaum through the Anmod Route. Superb roads with no traffic. Reached Belgaum by 3 PM and from there on followed the Bagalkot - Raichur - Mehboobnagar - Hyd.

Barring an irritating stretch full of speed breakers, the route was good. Reached Hyd at 3 AM with two breaks of 30' each.
Hunter3077 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 12:08   #869

Due to the detailed help from fellow Team Bhpians, i was able to make it through with ease, both to and fro from Hyd to Goa. I used the same route both ways and was pretty neat throughout except for some bad patches and unavoidable bumps in between.

My route was : Hyd -> Mehboobnagar -> Raichur -> Bagalkot -> Belgaum -> Chorla Ghat -> Calangute and the same while returning back from Goa.

Total Trip spanned around 1650 kms with around 750 along the way and back and 150 odd kms in the city.

Now, i was skeptical because i was informed that the road from Belgaum to Goa is not in good condition but the route through Chorla Ghats is not only in very good condition, but also scenic to drive. The only point to be noted is that the area should be covered after around 9, so that there is no fog and not later than 4-5 when it starts to get dark.

That said, the route from Bagalkot to Mehboobnagar has very little traffic and is a single lane road (though broad) but nothing on both sides for kms and kms. So in case anyone plans to travel with Family having children or even husband and wife alone, try not to take this route for night travelling, unless you have some male friend with you who can assist you in driving for some distance along this route and who could also be of assistance in case of unforeseen circumstances. This is because when we were driving along this route from 7pm to around 12:30pm (before hitting NH44), there were hardly any vehicles behind or in front of us. Prefer this route more for day travelling and it is a definite time saver.

Both ways, it took me 14 hours each time with 3 tea breaks of 15 mins and one snack/lunch break of 30 mins. in all the route is good and pleasant to drive.

few details of travel:
MyVehicle: Skoda Rapid 2016
Tyres: Michelin Energy XM2
Fuel Consumed: Around Rs 5,000 worth Diesel
Tyre Pressure Check: Done once in Goa
Maximum Speed: 105 kmph
Average Speed: 60 kmph (courtesy NH44 and ORR, else do not expect anything more than 50 kmph to 52 kmph)

P.S one point to note is that in case any one wants to fill in fuel, do not wait for highways to do it unless you have sufficient cash with you. Most of the Petrol Pumps in this route did not accept cards and none of the places from Belgaum to Raichur had any working ATM with Cash. Try to take care of both these things in Goa itself.
Old 16th February 2017, 19:05   #870
BHPian

Thanks to the assistance from members of Team BHP, my wife and I recently completed both legs of the Hyderabad Goa journey.

My route was : Hyd > Sadem > Gulbarga> Bijapur> Bagalkot> Belgaum > Anmod Ghat> Margao>Varca and the same route for the return leg.

It was a real pleasure to drive on the Anmod Ghat and I understand that if one is traveling to South Goa, is a shorter drive than via Chorla Ghat.

We drove a Wagon R and covered a total of 2012 kms, including 516 kms within Goa itself. The fuel efficiency for the entire trip was 15.95 km/l. The cost per Km worked out INR 4.32. Surprisingly, the cost of petrol in Goa was INR 60.30 approx whereas in Karnataka it was as high as 76.89.

And, as recommended on this and other threads, Sankam Residency in Belgaum is an excellent pit stop. The service at the restaurant is as good as, if not better than, a five star.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks