Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2018, 23:01   #1036

Re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

I did Hyderabad - Goa ride on 9oct2018 on my CBR250R. Before setting off I checked google maps and read this forum

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-screen-shot-20181020-10.48.00-pm.png
Possible routes I saw
Hyderabad - Humnabad - Kalaburagi - Bagalkot - Belgaum - Anjuna, Goa
Hyderabad - Mehabubnagar - Raichur - Bagalkot - Belgaum - Anjuna, Goa
Hyderabad - Solapur - Miraj - Nipani - Amboli Ghat - Anjuna, Goa

I did Kurnool - Raichur - Bagalkot, after dark, a year or so ago. I still remember the scary potholes and the even more scarier, squarish, stone-embedded speed-breakers. So, I decided no way I'm doing Raichur - Bagalkot unless I actually have to go to Bagalkot from Raichur

I have a Karnataka registered bike, so I preferred to ride through Karnataka instead of outside Karnataka

So, I did Hyderabad - Humnabad(Kalaburagi Exit) - Kalaburagi - Bagalkot - Belgaum - Anjuna, Goa which was the fastest route suggested by Google too. Happy coincidence!
  • Hyderabad - Humnabad(Kalaburagi Exit) : NH65 : As I read here, this was a nice four lane road fully except for a flyover construction at the Telengana - Karnataka border
  • Humnabad(Kalaburagi Exit) - Kalaburagi : NH50 : Two lane road. It is inconsistent with rough patches, nice stretches, unmarked speedbreakers and road expansion work going on in places
  • Kalaburagi - Bagalkot : Mix of normal width two lane, narrow two lane and almost two lane roads with quality ranging from amazing to amazingly bad
    • Kalaburagi Bye Pass - Chowdapur : NH150E : Kalaburagi Bye Pass is four laned bad road with many many potholes and speedbreakers! A flyover is being constructed over the railway tracks, so there is a diversion which is narrow and just dirt basically. It is very very bumpy. Afzalpur Road, which we have to take till Chowdapur, it is a nice two laned road with shoulders on both sides. As always speed breakers are there. But, they were marked
    • Chowdapur - Jeratagi : The roads till Gangapur are bad. The roads through Gangapur are worse still. I was worried if I my bike will get on to the Bhima river bridge without scraping cos the road was so uneven. But, it made it without scraping. Once you cross the Bhima river, it is a nice narrow two lane road till Jeratagi
    • Jeratagi - Devar Hippargi : NH50 : Nice two lane road with shoulders on both sides
    • Devar Hippargi - Ingaleshwar - Basavanna Bagewadi - Kolhar : Starts out one laned and amazingly bad through Devar Hippargi. Then bad, but slightly better almost two lane road through windmill territory. Then its a mix of all kinds(good, bad and ugly) of two lane roads till Kolhar
    • Kolhar - Gaddanakeri Cross(Bagalkot Bye Pass) : NH52 : Good two lane road
  • Bagalkot - Belgaum : Good to very-good two lane road
  • Belgaum - Anjuna, Goa : Two lane. Mix of good, bad and rough
    • Belgaum - Chorla Ghats - Sanquelim : I chose this route to stay within Karnataka as much as possible. As I observed out on the way, this is the route the Belgaum - Goa KSRTC buses take. Starts out good. Turns very bad in the ghats. There are sections in the ghats which are paved with cement blocks and they have a lot of sand on top which makes it very slippery for a bike. And the fog was unbelievable when I went. Long live the pinlock inserts, they prevented the helmet visor from fogging up! Still visibility was bad. And my headlights don't illuminate the ghat turns. I was driving around 30kmph for a long time. The road from Goa border to Sanquelim is better and it feels like driving inside a town with many vehicles on the road
    • Sanquelim - Mapusa : Not good, very rough
    • Mapusa - Anjuna : Was very very good

Time taken
  • Hyderabad - Kalaburagi : 3.5hrs
  • Kalaburagi - Bagalkot : 4.5hrs
  • Bagalkot - Belgaum : 2.5hrs
  • Belgaum - Goa : 3.5hrs

Took me 14hrs when compared to 13hrs suggested by Google. But Google didn't account for the chocolate, lunch and ice cream breaks I took (Also, I took a different route from Belgaum than whats shown in the pic)
vasanthcullen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 20:07   #1037

I explored another route while coming back from Goa - Hyderabad

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-screen-shot-20181021-7.02.56-pm.png
I did Anjuna - Mapusa - Assagao - Dodamarg - Karve - Belagavi - Yaragatti - Hulkund - Yadawad - Mudhol - Jamkhandi - Vijayapura - Jeratagi - Jevargi - Shahabad - Chittapur - Malkhed - Sedam - Nidgunda - Chincholi Road - Shadipur - Kunchavaram - Turmamidi - Kakhoda - Mominpet - Shankarpally - ORR/ISB Road Junction, Hyderabad

It was an adventure alrite! All kinds of roads, all kinds of traffic!
  • Anjuna - Mapusa : Two lanes. Very good
    Mapusa - Assagao : Two lanes. Rough. There is one beautiful four lane stretch for a few hundred meters with a lot of trees in the median!
    Assagao - Dodamarg : Two lanes. Very good. Beautiful scenery
    Dodamarg - Karve : Two lanes of varying width. Mix of good, rough, broken-but-not-potholed, potholed and very good. I made many many stops to take in the beautiful scenery and click photos. I think I spent 40% of the travel time in this stretch stopped! Make sure you have time on hand if you too can't resist stopping at beautiful spots and take it all in
    Karve - Belagavi : Two lanes : Rough
    Belagavi - Yaragatti : Two lanes : Good to very good
    Yaragatti - Hulkund - Yadawad - Mudhol : One and two lanes. Mix of broken, potholed, bumpy, bad and good roads. This is where the fun started. I was riding slow but I had to dodge all the potholes. The scenery was nice with windmills rotating even more slowly than my wheels
    Mudhol - Jamkhandi : Two lanes. Very good with shoulders on both sides
    Jamkhandi - Vijayapura : Two lanes. Rough and the occasional pothole and speedbreaker to surprise you
    Vijayapura - Jeratagi : Two lanes. Very good with shoulders on both sides
    Jeratagi - Jevargi : Two lanes. Very good with shoulders on both sides to rough and broken
    Jevargi - Shahabad : Two lanes. Till you turn away from NH50, it is rough and broken. Then the the road till Shahabad is really really good
    Shahabad - Chittapur - Malkhed : Two lanes. Broken, bumpy, dusty. Full of lorries owing to the million cement factories around
    Malkhed - Sedam : Two lanes. Okay. Could follow a car doing 80+
    Sedam - Nidgunda - Chincholi Road : Two lanes of varying width. Broken, bumpy, dusty. Full of lorries owing to the million cement factories around
    Chincholi Road - Shadipur - Kunchavaram : Two lanes to non-existent. The road starts out like a dream. Beautifully paved with not a single vehicle on road. Then it completely disappears and road construction is going on. I drove on just dirt for some 10 mins. Then on stones for some 10 mins. Then the ghost of the old road that once was for some 10 mins. Then comes Shadipur. Repeat the same story and then comes Kunchavaram which has one Essar petrol bunk which closed cos it was nearly midnight
    Kunchavaram - Turmamidi - Kakhoda - Mominpet : One lane. This road cant be seen on Google maps on until you zoom in to the max! That should give you an idea of what to expect. Mix of very old good roads and broken and potholed and unbelievably bad. Some stretches you can see no one around for quite some time. Guess it passes through some wilderness cos I saw quite a few wild hares! The road becomes two lane just before Mominpet and there are lorries plying on it
    Mominpet - Shankarpally : Two lanes. Rough and the occasional pothole and speedbreaker to surprise you
    Shankarpally - ORR/ISB Road Junction, Hyderabad : Unmarked four lane. No reflectors or paint. But it is arrow straight. I missed my turn, cos you know, who thinks to brake and slow down and turn when you can keep going straight on and on and on and on

It took me 16hrs total. Lost track of point-to-point times as I was thoroughly enjoying the adventure

This route is not recommended unless you wanna explore and see all kinds of roads/non-roads

The most recommended route of Hyderabad - Humnabad - Kalaburagi - Jevargi - Vijayapura - Bagalkot - Belgaum - Chorla Ghats - Goa is the best bet if you want the best selection of roads possible
Old 22nd October 2018, 09:47   #1038
BHPian

Guys,

Done the Goa route many times, this is the best and fastest route:

https://goo.gl/maps/gWKxSCUUTty

There are few bad patches and road extensions between Bijapur and Bagalkot but otherwise most stress free and just need to watchout for speedbreakers and google maps is anyway indicating where the slow patches are!!
chsai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:08   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthcullen View Post
[*]Devar Hippargi - Ingaleshwar - Basavanna Bagewadi - Kolhar : Starts out one laned and amazingly bad through Devar Hippargi. Then bad, but slightly better almost two lane road through windmill territory. Then its a mix of all kinds(good, bad and ugly) of two lane roads till Kolhar[*]Kolhar - Gaddanakeri Cross(Bagalkot Bye Pass) : NH52 : Good two lane road[/list]
I have always wondered why google maps recommends this route. I have been tempted on numerous occasions to take this route instead of going till Vijaypura. It seems that this route is best avoided.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 14:29   #1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
I have always wondered why google maps recommends this route.
Google maps never lies about bad roads and slow zones. It bluffs with good roads every once in a while and I fall for it every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
I have been tempted on numerous occasions to take this route instead of going till Vijaypura. It seems that this route is best avoided.
You're right. The stretch of NH50 that runs through Jeratagi - Sindagi - Vijayapura is a really good two lane road. The two lane NH52 from Vijayapura - Bagalkot is not too bad either
Old 30th December 2018, 08:46   #1041
BHPian

Hi everyone, i am planning to drive to goa for new year from hyderabad. I am planning to do overnight journey. If there is anything that i need to be extra careful for the night drive, kindly update. I wish to go on a safer and wider road even if it's longer.

Number of people going- 2. Me and my wife.

Vehicle - Duster.

Any inputs will be highly helpful.

Regards
Dr.pavan
Old 7th January 2019, 13:39   #1042
BHPian

Hi everyone, I completed my goa trip for the new year. We had a great time at the titos club. I noticed a couple of cars with team bhp stickers at baga beach. Overall my duster amt with 53000 kms on the odo did it's job well.

The route followed for up and down journey was the same. So giving you the details of one way journey while coming back.

Goa- chorla ghats- belgaum- bagalkot- bijapur- jevargi- gulbarga- humnabad- zaheerabad- outer ring road- gachibowli.

Goa to chorla ghats- mostly single lane roads with unmarked speed breakers. Chorla ghats is decent enough with few pot holes at places.

Chorla ghats to belgaum- decent enough road.
Time taken to reach belgaum from goa is 3:00 hours.

Belgaum to bagalkot- good roads. You can maintain good speeds.

Bagalkot to bijapur- decent enough roads. Can maintain good speeds. Culvert constructions are present at 3 or 4 places. Watch out for unmarked speed breakers. It took me a good amount of time for me to cross bijapur.

Bijapur- jeratagi ( this place is around 40 kms from jevargi) we stopped at this place to have some quick food.

Time taken from belgaum to reach jeratagi is around 5 hours.

Jeratagi- jevargi- gulbarga. Till jevargi the roads are good. From jevargi to gulbarga the road widening is in progress. You will have lot of deviations. In the entire trip only this patch of road is bad.

Gulbarga- humnabad- outer ring road near patancheru. The road from gulbarga till humnabad is good. You will have many blind curves. The road can resemble like a mini ghat drive. Humnabad till hyderabads outer ring road is excellent.

From my last stop jeratagi, i have driven continuous and reached orr in 6 hours. From outer ring road it was a 45 minutes drive to lanco hills.

My total drive is between 14 to 15 hours. Overall thanks to team bhp and special mention to bhpian aray for his travelogue which inspired me to take my duster for such a long drive.

Regards
drpavan.
drpavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 08:37   #1043
BHPian

Hello BHPians, Anyone who very recently travelled from Hyderabad to Goa please ? Need guidance on best route possible, stops and good accommodation in Baga area, possibly close to beach and restaurants. Any help much appreciated. I am planning to drive with my friends in May first week. 4 people in an Altis AT. Hope Altis AT will survive on the roads to Goa ? My cousin also got an Altis MT. But planning to take my AT as it is in a much better condition. Any guidance ?
Old 20th April 2019, 11:40   #1044
BHPian

Heading down to Goa again in a few days. Plan to stick to the tried and tested route. Would appreciate any feedback regarding change in route conditions if any.
Old 13th July 2019, 20:57   #1045
BHPian

Guys , me and wifey are planning on travelling to Goa in the mid week of August from Hyderabad.
Though traveled multiple times, do not remember the best possible rest room stops.

Would really be happy if someone has a list of good stop overs with decent washrooms on the way to Goa from Hyderabad.

Hyd- zaheerabad-humnabad-gulbarga-bagalkote-belgaum-Goa

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 13th July 2019 at 21:01.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:42   #1046

Hi Vamshi, were you able to do this trip? I see a lot of rain/flood forecast and roadblock alerts in the last couple of days. Please update if you have done this trip or planning in the next 2-3 days. I have a similar plan, but trying to be cautious about the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Guys , me and wifey are planning on travelling to Goa in the mid week of August from Hyderabad.
Though traveled multiple times, do not remember the best possible rest room stops.

Would really be happy if someone has a list of good stop overs with decent washrooms on the way to Goa from Hyderabad.

Hyd- zaheerabad-humnabad-gulbarga-bagalkote-belgaum-Goa
Old 14th August 2019, 12:30   #1047
BHPian

We are travelling to Goa from Hyderabad today evening. Given the flood situation in Karnataka, what should be the best route to travel?
Your suggestion will be extremely helpful.
Old 14th August 2019, 15:58   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpavan View Post

Bagalkot to bijapur- decent enough roads. Can maintain good speeds. Culvert constructions are present at 3 or 4 places. Watch out for unmarked speed breakers. It took me a good amount of time for me to cross bijapur.

Regards
drpavan.
Bijapur has a bypass. After the flyover which is under construction while entering Bijapur from Balgalkote u need to take the right beneath the flyover to reach the Bijapur bypass which is connecting Sholapur to Hospet.
From the bypass the exit towards Jewargi is well marked. I took only 10mins to crossover.
Old 4th September 2019, 15:52   #1049
BHPian

Hi Guys

Planning to drive down to North Goa from Hyderabad in last week of September! Would appreciate feedback on latest road conditions and route options.

Last edited by wads78 : 4th September 2019 at 15:53.
Old 15th September 2019, 13:28   #1050

I am planning for a drive from Hyderabad to Goa next weekend i.e. from 21st to 26th September.

Planning to take Hyderabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Bagalkot-Khanapur-Mollem-Ponda-Utorda Beach (South Goa).

How is the road condition presently considering the flooding of roads that took place enroute and in and around Goa last month, especially after Bagalkot.

Is there any other better route for going to South Goa from Hyderabad.

Regards
Prasenjit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks