Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 09:50   #121
BHPian

Hyderabad-Goa via Bagalkot

I am planning to start today on a road trip to Goa from Hyderabad via Raichur, Bagalkot, Belgaum and Amboli Ghat.

Any pointers on the road conditions will be deeply appreciated!!
Old 30th June 2010, 10:54   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
I am planning to start today on a road trip to Goa from Hyderabad via Raichur, Bagalkot, Belgaum and Amboli Ghat.

Any pointers on the road conditions will be deeply appreciated!!
The NH4A from Belgaum via Londa-Ponda-Mollem has been reported to be in excellent condition as of last week.This would be an easier drive to cover the 150kms Belgaum-Panjim as compared to the Amboli one
Old 30th June 2010, 12:18   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The NH4A from Belgaum via Londa-Ponda-Mollem has been reported to be in excellent condition as of last week.This would be an easier drive to cover the 150kms Belgaum-Panjim as compared to the Amboli one
WOW, that's incredible. Will try this route. Thanks for your response.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:23   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isnt that the mining truck route with dense foilage on both sides? If its the same, then i would never take that route.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:36   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Isnt that the mining truck route with dense foilage on both sides? If its the same, then i would never take that route.
yes the same,but the stretch has been redone now and is in excellent condition at the moment,so do the stretch before it begins to crack up again

by the way Panjim was flooded two days back,so worth checking whats the weather condition before leaving,as the Kali River had breached and there was a high tide in the Mandovi due to which most parts of Goa were submerged.Its been raining quite heavy there
Old 30th June 2010, 12:41   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yes the same,but the stretch has been redone now and is in excellent condition at the moment,so do the stretch before it begins to crack up again

by the way Panjim was flooded two days back,so worth checking whats the weather condition before leaving,as the Kali River had breached and there was a high tide in the Mandovi due to which most parts of Goa were submerged.Its been raining quite heavy there
Goa submerged and its getting heavy rains. Boy! Wish i was there now.

I love goa in heavy rains minus the bad road drive

Nag, frankly stick to tried and tested routes.

If your taking maharastra route then stick to Hyd->Solapur-->Pandarpur->NH9-->Gandhiglaj->Amboli Ghat ( this ghat section would be super awesome road if its raining, its heaven on earth at such times)-->Panjim
Old 30th June 2010, 12:47   #127
Senior - BHPian

Heavy rains affect normal life in Goa | iGoa
Old 30th June 2010, 12:48   #128
BHPian

Yes, I am thinking of sticking to Amboli ghat route because of what I see on internet about the rains in Goa
Old 30th June 2010, 12:56   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
Yes, I am thinking of sticking to Amboli ghat route because of what I see on internet about the rains in Goa
Do click lots of pictures of roads and post it on this thread when your back. Is Verna doing the duty?

OT: Looks like the goa bug bit you too
Old 30th June 2010, 13:28   #130
BHPian

@mobike - Yes, it will be my Verna and 4 dudes in it.

small correction , it is "Goa in Monsoons" bug that bit me
Old 30th June 2010, 16:30   #131
BHPian

I just came back from goa yesterday. Here are the routes I took

Hyderabad -> Goa

Hyderabad-Solapur (overnite stay)-Mohol-Pandharpur-Miraj-Kolhapur-GQ-Tawandi-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Pernem-Mapusa-Calangute

A lot have been said about this route in this thread so won't elaborate much.

The roads were pretty good most of the way but there were slower patches every now and then due to traffic and top layer of the roads coming off. Nothing of much concern though.

We didn't take the Solapur - Mangalwedha - Sangole route as we were told by locals that road conditions are bad.

Goa -> Hyderabad

This was interesting. We thought we will take the route through Karnatak via Bijapur and Gulbarga and we were in for a surprise.

We started off from Baga and took the same route via Amboli to NH4. The only difference was we took the road that comes from Gadhinglaj. This road was slightly better and wider although it added some extra distance.

After that we took a right from Nipani on NH4 to enter SH12. The road to Chikodi was really bad. We couldn't go above 40Kmph and were practically thinking of returning back to the previous route. Somehow we managed to get to Chikodi and it improved in patches afterwards till we reached Kagvad.

From here there was a diversion which said Miraj 17Kms if we go straight and that would have taken us back to the old route but somehow we decided to stick to SH12, take a right and continue exploring.

After this the road became super smooth. And it was really awesome all the way through Bijapur, Gulbarga and Humnabad. It's very easy to maintain really high speeds(100+) over long durations and there was very little traffic. So this route was much faster overall and we managed the whole distance in about 13 hours of driving time including the bad strech and rainfall in the ghats.

So I'd recommend anyone going to Goa to take the route via Bijapur and Gulbarga after comparing both the routes. Only problem is the relatively bad strech from Chikodi to Nipani. It might be possible to avoid this by going to Miraj from Kagvad and then to Kolhapur but I don't know how that strech would be.

One more problem with the Karnataka route is that speed breakers are NOT marked at all in the latter half and you need to be really careful every time there is a town approaching. But the excellent roads and low traffic make up for everything else.

Overall the experience was great! This was just a short impromptu trip but we had a lot of fun and the weather was pretty good most of the time we were there. In fact I didn't know that Panaji was flooded till I read this post because we only stayed in North Goa through the couple of days that we were there.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:39   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice update there Zuch.

Can you post the kms difference between both routes? Also how many kms was this bad route from chikodi to nippani?
Old 28th November 2010, 14:52   #133
BHPian

Anyone please update on the latest road conditions from HyD- GoA, also the best route to be taken.

thanks.
Old 28th November 2010, 18:52   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Anyone please update on the latest road conditions from HyD- GoA, also the best route to be taken.

thanks.
Take the Homnabad-Bijapur-Belgaum-NH4A-Londa-Ponda-Panjim route,its in good condition at the moment
Old 28th November 2010, 21:50   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Take the Homnabad-Bijapur-Belgaum-NH4A-Londa-Ponda-Panjim route,its in good condition at the moment
Hi, isn't that the route with red sand and all potholes with no roads, and it takes 2 hours to cover those 22 KMs? I really don't want to go through that again.. has this been re-laid?

Most Viewed