Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 19:40   #256
BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Got back today at 5 pm from the trip..

Did the below route:

Hyd - Humnabad - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Goa - Karwar - Ankola - Kollur - Udupi - Managalore - Sakleshpur- Hassan - Bangalore - Karnool - Hyd

1. Hyd - Humnabad - Gulbarga -Bijapur - Hubli - Roads are good.

2. Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Goa - Good roads, few pot holes.

3. Goa - Karwar - Ankola - Kollur - Udupi - Managalore - Road is good till Ankola, after that its pretty patchy to Kollur. Kollur - Udupi is ok. Udupi - Managalore - road expansion is going on, so you need to take diversions every 2-3 kms.

4. Managalore - Sakleshpur- Hassan - Bangalore - Road is good. except for about 20 Kms in the Western Ghats about 33 Kms before Sakleshpur, the 20 kms can take easily 1.5 hours. last 108 kms in Bangalore is 4 lane highway so you can fly.

5.Bangalore - Karnool - Hyd - 4 lane highway, drive as fast as you can.

Total distance covered including little city commute 2383 Kms , 141 Litres of petrol consumed, fuel efficiency 16.9 Kms/L
Old 11th December 2011, 22:31   #257
BHPian

Hey people, a lot of us are going to Goa and seem to be taking various routes. The Kohlapur, Sankleshwar one seemed to be a lot longer than the one I took to get back to Bidar.

From Goa, I took the Sawantwadi-Amboli route to Belgaum and from there, I took the Belgaum Bagalkot road that goes past the airport to hit NH 218 and make it till Bijapur and thereahter followed the standard Gulbarga-Homnabad route. In this route, Calangute-Belgaum took 3.5 hrs, Belgaum-Homnabad took 5.5 hrs and if you take a further 2.5 Hrs to BHEL, the Goa BHEL trip will take 11.5 hrs at my speeds which average about 70-75.

The Belgaum-Bagalkot road is in good condition and with very little traffic, and, I never missed taking the expressway to get to Bijapur via Nipani-Chikodi!
Old 12th December 2011, 14:58   #258
BHPian

Hi Neel

considering you have just done the Goa - Sawantwadi - Amboli route to Belgaum and I have been advised against taking the Belgaum - Anmod Ghat - Mollem Goa route by ranjit - could you give me an update on road conditions section by section - would be of immense help as I would be doing Goa next week coming in from Delhi
Old 13th December 2011, 00:04   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
Hi Neel

considering you have just done the Goa - Sawantwadi - Amboli route to Belgaum and I have been advised against taking the Belgaum - Anmod Ghat - Mollem Goa route by ranjit - could you give me an update on road conditions section by section - would be of immense help as I would be doing Goa next week coming in from Delhi
I'm nor really sure as to which route you are talking about. The route I took was to take the Sawantwadi Road from Belgaum which will take you through Amboli before reaching Sawantwadi and thereafter continue straight to reach North Goa and where ever else in Goa you want to go!!

The entire stretch except about 2 Km of NH 17 after Sawantwadi till you hit the Goa border is absolutely fine. Otherwise, the roads are a bit on the narrower side, but perfectly 2 lane and no bad patches except for about 100 mtrs where the landslide had taken place.

From Belgaum you will hit Calangute in about 3.5 -4 hrs depending on your speed and the number of halts!!

Link to the route is :
Belgaum, Karnataka to CHOGM Rd - Google Maps
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 09:20   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
I'm nor really sure as to which route you are talking about. The route I took was to take the Sawantwadi Road from Belgaum which will take you through Amboli before reaching Sawantwadi and thereafter continue straight to reach North Goa and where ever else in Goa you want to go!!

The entire stretch except about 2 Km of NH 17 after Sawantwadi till you hit the Goa border is absolutely fine. Otherwise, the roads are a bit on the narrower side, but perfectly 2 lane and no bad patches except for about 100 mtrs where the landslide had taken place.

From Belgaum you will hit Calangute in about 3.5 -4 hrs depending on your speed and the number of halts!!

Link to the route is :
Belgaum, Karnataka to CHOGM Rd - Google Maps
Neel,

There is a lot of talk on various threads regarding this patch on Amboli Ghat where the Landslide occur - how narrow is it can two cars cross/can a Honda City clear it comfortably

Old 13th December 2011, 12:44   #261
BHPian

Quote:

[/url]
Neel, you say the road from Belgaum to Sawantwadi is good? it was very bumpy when I took this route in September, has it been relaid?
Old 13th December 2011, 19:54   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Neel,

There is a lot of talk on various threads regarding this patch on Amboli Ghat where the Landslide occur - how narrow is it can two cars cross/can a Honda City clear it comfortably

The landslide patch is just about 100 mtrs long and you can VERY easily see the traffic on the other side. So one side stops and the other crosses. And a City can very comfortably cross it. In fact I have seen Civics plying on this stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Neel, you say the road from Belgaum to Sawantwadi is good? it was very bumpy when I took this route in September, has it been relaid?
"Bumpy" is rather relative, and I don't know if the road has been relaid after September, but in my Indigo, I was averaging about 43 Kmph in the Ghat section and about 57 Kmph in the non ghat sections as per my Nuvi and this with a 5 month infant in the car. So I (and I speak for my family as well) were pretty comfortable!
Old 13th December 2011, 21:23   #263
BHPian

Quote:
The landslide patch is just about 100 mtrs long and you can VERY easily see the traffic on the other side. So one side stops and the other crosses. And a City can very comfortably cross it. In fact I have seen Civics plying on this stretch!

"Bumpy" is rather relative, and I don't know if the road has been relaid after September, but in my Indigo, I was averaging about 43 Kmph in the Ghat section and about 57 Kmph in the non ghat sections as per my Nuvi and this with a 5 month infant in the car. So I (and I speak for my family as well) were pretty comfortable!
Hey Guys

I still want someone to give me a comparison of this route versus the Belgaum anmod ghat route!
Old 13th December 2011, 22:28   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys

I still want someone to give me a comparison of this route versus the Belgaum anmod ghat route!
I have taken both routes, went via the Anmod Ghat way back in Feb, and via Amboli recently in November. I found the Amboli route is better, smooth roads except the 100 odd meters which is bad due to landslides. Nothing to worry on the Amboli route, very scenic and the bad section is very managable, even for cars with low GC. The Anmod route had many bad sections with incvsible potholes
Old 14th December 2011, 09:13   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrider View Post
I have taken both routes, went via the Anmod Ghat way back in Feb, and via Amboli recently in November. I found the Amboli route is better, smooth roads except the 100 odd meters which is bad due to landslides. Nothing to worry on the Amboli route, very scenic and the bad section is very managable, even for cars with low GC. The Anmod route had many bad sections with incvsible potholes
@Lazyrider that is pretty concise then what I need to do is stay with the Amboli Ghat drive and forget about the Anmod Ghat option. A couple of clarifications

1. What was your travel time on the Amboli Ghat route
2. Where did you branch off from NH4
3. How many Kms of ghat driving
4. How many Kms after leaving NH 4 do the ghats start - I want to plan so such that I do the ghats in daylight

Thanks in anticipation

Last edited by DRIVEPASSION : 14th December 2011 at 09:14.
Old 14th December 2011, 14:02   #266
BHPian

Quote:
@Lazyrider that is pretty concise then what I need to do is stay with the Amboli Ghat drive and forget about the Anmod Ghat option. A couple of clarifications

4. How many Kms after leaving NH 4 do the ghats start - I want to plan so such that I do the ghats in daylight

Thanks in anticipation

I took the diversion at Sankeshwar on NH4, I cant confirm the travel time as we stopped a lot to see the sights. You should reach the ghats after travelling 50-60 Kms off NH4, total ghat section is 30-40 Km. Its always advisable to cross the ghats during the day.

We took a video of the Amboli ghats, you can see the road conditions in this.
lazyrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 14:18   #267
BHPian

[quote=changaez;2606792]Got back today at 5 pm from the trip..

Did the below route:

Hyd - Humnabad - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Goa - Karwar - Ankola - Kollur - Udupi - Managalore - Sakleshpur- Hassan - Bangalore - Karnool - Hyd

1. Hyd - Humnabad - Gulbarga -Bijapur - Hubli - Roads are good.

2. Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Goa - Good roads, few pot holes.

3. Goa - Karwar - Ankola - Kollur - Udupi - Managalore - Road is good till Ankola, after that its pretty patchy to Kollur. Kollur - Udupi is ok. Udupi - Managalore - road expansion is going on, so you need to take diversions every 2-3 kms.

4. Managalore - Sakleshpur- Hassan - Bangalore - Road is good. except for about 20 Kms in the Western Ghats about 33 Kms before Sakleshpur, the 20 kms can take easily 1.5 hours. last 108 kms in Bangalore is 4 lane highway so you can fly.

5.Bangalore - Karnool - Hyd - 4 lane highway, drive as fast as you can.

Total distance covered including little city commute 2383 Kms , 141

Hey Changaez

Could you detail out the Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Goa section of your drive in terms of:

1. Road Condition

2. Distances
3. Ghat driving - distance and road condition
4. Time lags for this section of the drive

Old 14th December 2011, 18:18   #268
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of clarifications

Thanks in anticipation

I was in Goa in the last week and I took the NH4-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglai-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi route to get there.

I left NH4 at about 1200hrs at Sankeshwar. You have to take the service road short of a major flyover approaching Sankeshwar and thereafter turn right under the same flyover towards Gadhinglai. I reached Calangute at about 1600 Hrs after stopping for about 45 min for lunch. The road condition throughout was nice and there were no bad patches. The drive was extremely picturesque and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The total ghat section is about 20 Kms, but approaching Amboli, the roads are quite winding as well. The ghats will be reached in about 2-3hrs after you leave NH4 so, you can plan accordingly. Even otherwise, the Ghats are nothing very scary. Being from NCR, if you have driven down to Shimla, these Ghats are milder than the ones you see in the road to Shimla.

Link to the route is:
Sankeshwar, Karnataka, India to Unknown road - Google Maps

The only thing you need to be careful about is getting the service road to leave the NH4 correctly at Sankeshwar. Use a GPS if you can get your hands on one. I did and it really helped!!
Old 14th December 2011, 19:54   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Got back today at 5 pm from the trip..

Hey Changaez

Could you detail out the Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Goa section of your drive in terms of:[/b]

1. Road Condition

2. Distances
3. Ghat driving - distance and road condition
4. Time lags for this section of the drive

1. The road condition is pretty good all through.
2. Close to 280 Kms would take you around 5 hours, two reasons: the view is really good and inbound traffic to Gao around 11 peaks up, because of pickups from Airports and hotels.
3. Ghats are ok, once you enter Goa the incline increases around Madgoan. If you are used to Ghats its a breeze.
4. Time lags is after you enter Goa state, the roads become better but the in bound traffic to Goa increases. Also the route is very beautiful, so more delays

I would say start early from Hubli atleast by 7 and reach Panjim by 11:30 -12.

I stayed at Ananth Executive in Hubli very good hotel, so if you have not decided you can try that

cheers
Changaez

Last edited by changaez : 14th December 2011 at 20:15. Reason: spelling error
Old 14th December 2011, 20:50   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by changaez View Post
1. The road condition is pretty good all through.
2. Close to 280 Kms would take you around 5 hours, two reasons: the view is really good and inbound traffic to Gao around 11 peaks up, because of pickups from Airports and hotels.
3. Ghats are ok, once you enter Goa the incline increases around Madgoan. If you are used to Ghats its a breeze.
4. Time lags is after you enter Goa state, the roads become better but the in bound traffic to Goa increases. Also the route is very beautiful, so more delays

I would say start early from Hubli atleast by 7 and reach Panjim by 11:30 -12.

I stayed at Ananth Executive in Hubli very good hotel, so if you have not decided you can try that

cheers
Changaez
As I understand - earlier the start the better - and the ghats are madgao - is it ok starting the drive at 4 from Hubli

Most Viewed