Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2006, 01:20   #1

Mumbai - Chennai - Mumbai : Route Queries

Hi Guys!!
Planning a trip with family to Chennai-tirupati in Dec. in my Maruti ALTO
Wanted to know how much time?
Distance?
Places to see?
and if anyone has traveled by those roads then the condition and etc..
Old 29th August 2006, 15:44   #2
DRC
BHPian

The route is majorly on NH4. Roads are generally very good to good. with few stretches being under construction, take care of the diversions. They may be many times poping a suprise!
Old 28th May 2010, 19:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughrider_j View Post
Hi Guys!!
Planning a trip with family to Chennai-tirupati in Dec. in my Maruti ALTO
Wanted to know how much time?
Distance?
Places to see?
and if anyone has traveled by those roads then the condition and etc..
BOM-BLR approx 1000kms(depending on wherein BOM you are starting from)

BLR-Chennai - 300kms

Chennai-Tirupati-150kms

Tirupati-Blr-250kms
Old 28th May 2010, 19:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are going first to Tirupati, then you can take NH4 all the way via Bangalore to Chitoor, then go to Tirupati. To go to Chennai, you have the option of taking the Renigunta-Puttur-Tiruttani-Tiruvallur route, or the Chittoor-Ranipet-Kanchipuram-Sriperembudur-Chennai or Kalahasti-Tada-Gummudipundi-Chennai route. Each has something to offer, you can visit more temples at Kalahasti, Tiruttani, Kanchi, etc.

NH4 between Bombay and Bangalore is widely discussed in other threads, but briefly, since road widening is incomplete, watch out for some bad roads in the Haveri-Ranebennur-Harihar-Davangere section.

You can avoid Bangalore city completely if you take the Tumkur-Dobespet-Dodballapur-Devanahalli-Hoskote route.

NH4 between Bangalore and Chittoor is being widening, watch out.

Unless you are a fast and experienced driver, reaching Tirupati the same day may not be easy. So, if you want to take a break, other than in Bangalore (possible in one sitting from Thane), you could break journey at Chitradurga (Hotel Ravi Mayur on bypass itself). Please do NOT take the shorter route from Chitradurga to Tirupati via Challakere, Penukonda, Kadiri and Palmaner, that road is bad and not very safe.

If you are going to Chennai first, then why not take the GQ route from Bangalore via Hosur, Krishnagiri and Vellore? To avoid Bangalore city, you can take the NICE Road before the city (after Nelamangala) and reach Hosur without combating the city traffic.
Old 20th December 2016, 16:08   #5
BHPian

Mumbai-Chennai-Chidambaram-Tirupati-Mumbai

This trip starting 26th December is one of the many long road trips with the family - an angel like daughter, an angel's mother like wifey & travel maverick yours truly.

This one though happens to be 24rs post taking delivery of a brand new Renault Duster RXZ AWD Adventure edition in the famously unseen Outback Bronze shade.

Would love to share the drive and travelogue details as we proceed, but for the moment i seek some help please.

The best place to take a night halt between Bbay - Chennai.?

The best possible route with near perfect roads will help. The New AWD Dusty is just beginning to wake up.

Live to drive, is an attitude.
Old 20th December 2016, 16:15   #6
BHPian

It is a pretty straight route till Bangalore. Hubli should be your stop for night halt. You wouldn't find any good hotels on NH4 in Hubli and you may have to deviate inside for 5-6kms to find a decent stay. Have stayed in Clarks Inn, Hubli. Please note Dharwad Hubli is a two lane stretch for 30kms.
Old 20th December 2016, 16:19   #7
BHPian

For Hubli, two other options Hotel President (a little expensive, I think was about 4000 when I stayed) and Hotel Dhammanagi Comforts @₹2000
Old 20th December 2016, 16:27   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai-Chennai-Chidambaram-Tirupati-Mumbai

Any reasons why you would like to visit Chennai first before Chidambaram.

I would say a better is the following:

Mumbai - Bangalore - Chidambaram - Chennai - Tirupati - Bangalore - Mumbai

Bangalore - Chidambaram would be : Bangalore - Salem - Veppur - Vridhachalam - Chidambaram.

A single stop at hubli and another stop at Bangalore should be good to lead to Chidambaram on 3rd day.

Tirupati - Bangalore is about 5 hours. You should be able to make it till Davanagere by evening for a stop over.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 18:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post

If you are going to leave Bbay early in the morning,you can easily reach Bangalore by evening/night and stay the night at Bangalore and leave next day after breakfast to Chennai.

Take the NICE road while coming from Tumkur on NH4 and get off the NICE road at Electronics City and stay at Keys Hosur Road(https://goo.gl/maps/cWaUv6Htn6S2)

Next day take the road in front of the hotel and head straight towards Chennai via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai.https://goo.gl/maps/jx918p7x1WH2
Old 21st December 2016, 12:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If you are going to leave Bbay early in the morning,you can easily reach Bangalore by evening/night and stay the night at Bangalore and leave next day after breakfast to Chennai.

Take the NICE road while coming from Tumkur on NH4 and get off the NICE road at Electronics City and stay at Keys Hosur Road(https://goo.gl/maps/cWaUv6Htn6S2)

Next day take the road in front of the hotel and head straight towards Chennai via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai.https://goo.gl/maps/jx918p7x1WH2
Thanx Ranjit. Much much appreciated indeed.
Old 21st December 2016, 13:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The best possible route with near perfect roads will help. The New AWD Dusty is just beginning to wake up.
Drive a little further than NICE road towards Hosur (50 more Km) you can find hotel tariffs atleast Rs 1000 less than Bangalore. Drive another 40 more Km at Krishnagiri, you can find super good hotels even lesser with more facilities. Both Hosur & K'giri has hotels right bang on NH7 (not NH4 as it goes via Kolar - Chithoor - Vellore route)

Can't make till Bangalore? Belgaum is a good place to stop; Sangam right at the town on NH4

Route - Simple straight forward NH4 from Bombay - Pune - Kholapur - Belgaum - Hubli - Davangere - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Nelamangala - NICE (follow sign board for Hosur) - Hosur - Shoolagiri - Krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi - Ambur - Pallikonda - Vellore - Ranipet - Wallajah - Kanchipuram - Sriperumbudur - Madras

Last edited by aargee : 21st December 2016 at 13:53.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 14:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Live to drive, is an attitude.
Hi Shrikant,

I did a Pune Chennai route during Diwali this year. I had planned two options given below. I took Option 2 due to last minute changes:

Option - I
Leave Pune on 27th Evening Halt at Belgaum. Hotels considered Sankam Residencey & Ramdev International
Sankam Residency is very close to the NH4, with good amount of Parking space
Ramdev Internations i in the city with limited Parking and you will have to navigate a bit of Belgaum city traffic

Option 2
Leave Pune 28 th Morning, Halt at Apoorva Resorts Davanagere. This one is also bang on the highway and you dont need to take any diversions into davanagere town.

Other hotels in davangere is Srigandha residency (not stayed here, but based on trip advisor & other reviews)

I took this option, so the total driving time was approx 8 hours each leg.

On day 2, while travelling to chennai, we left in the morning at 9AM and reached hosur by 1 PM, stopped at claresta hotel for lunch.

Hope this helps, and happy driving.

Last edited by kutoos : 21st December 2016 at 14:13.
Old 21st December 2016, 14:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
I did a Pune Chennai route during Diwali this year. I had planned two options given below. I took Option 2 due to last minute changes:
Thank you so much for the options indeed. That should help tonnes, especially when its a holiday and things are meant to taken a little leisurely too.

Last edited by ampere : 21st December 2016 at 16:05. Reason: Trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks