Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2012, 15:07   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need info for Bangalore-poona-mumbai road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Started at 7:30 in the morning from bangalore. Took a hell lot of time to come out of Bangalore as I dont know the roads. I reached Pune at 1:00 pm in the night. Bcoz while entering Pune I missed the Katraj Bridge bypass because of which additional 1 hour were added.Also I dozed of nearly 1 plus hour.
Thats an awful drive that you have had almost 17hrs for a 700km drive.The problem with long drives is once you dont keep to the prescribed speed limits,fatigue starts setting in and the drive becomes a never ending one.BLR(Yeshwantpur)-Pune(Katraj Tunnel) can be easily done in 11-12 hrs.I guess not knowing roads did not help either.

Quote:
Maharashtra roads are bad, full of local villages traffic and people do not follow traffic rules whereas in Karnatak the roads are excellent and it hardly passes through any villages, so no local traffic.
Not sure if you are referring to the NH4?If yes then the entire stretch from Bangalore till Pune does not run through any town or village-all are bypassed.Yes local traffic is omnipresent and slows things down for sure,but road conditions are excellent and pothole free for the entire 700km stretch.

Quote:
To compare I started from Pune at 5:30am and reached Nel Mangala at 8:15pm. I was in hotel room at 10:15 pm in Kemp Fort.Air port road.
I guess no difference in both your drive times.You have timed 17hrs BLR-PUNE and 17hrs on your Pune-BLR as well.
Old 27th September 2012, 23:49   #62
BHPian

How come Pune Bangalore is only 700 kms. I suppose my home in pune to the hotel in Bangalore (kemp fort area) was approx 875kms.

The road from kolhapur to Pune is not pothole ridden but then again its not a plain surface either. It is filled with gravel sudden rise in road surfaces. Half patches of good road and bad road. Big cracks in the road also and then lots of construction and diversion work going on.And many villages are bang on the road. Just compare it with the roads in Karnataka with very less traffic, the width of the road is far better than the NH4 in Maharashtra. Road surfaces are levelled, brand new tar roads.

And worst case the Maharashtra roads have a white line marked 1 feet away from the divider and then if you keep a constant distance from this white line during night driving you are in serious trouble because suddenly this white line will turn towards the divider actually the width of the divider reduces substantially and then it ultimately disappears so that one can go to the other side of the divider ie. for U turn. And then suddenly after that there appears the full size divider right in front of you. You will find many cars crashed at this place or the divider broken because of previous accidents.

Yes you are right we nearly took the same time while going and arriving back. Because both time we were lost once in Bangalore and wildest part once in Pune although I stay in Pune for last 5 years.

I can surely say that there is a significant difference between the NH4 in Maharashtra and same in Karnataka.

It was very easy to maintain 120 plus speeds on Karnataka NH4.
It was ok for me to maintain 100plus speeds on Maharashtra NH4.

One more point is I did take breaks for lunch,snacks and tea.
While coming I did sleep for 1 hour nearly on the side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thats an awful drive that you have had almost 17hrs for a 700km drive.The problem with long drives is once you dont keep to the prescribed speed limits,fatigue starts setting in and the drive becomes a never ending one.BLR(Yeshwantpur)-Pune(Katraj Tunnel) can be easily done in 11-12 hrs.I guess not knowing roads did not help either.

Not sure if you are referring to the NH4?If yes then the entire stretch from Bangalore till Pune does not run through any town or village-all are bypassed.Yes local traffic is omnipresent and slows things down for sure,but road conditions are excellent and pothole free for the entire 700km stretch.

I guess no difference in both your drive times.You have timed 17hrs BLR-PUNE and 17hrs on your Pune-BLR as well.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 27th September 2012 at 23:52.
Old 26th November 2013, 11:35   #63
Team-BHP Support

Kindly continue discussions here. Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks