Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 22:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Route particulars of the Kolhapur-Radhanagari-NH17 are as follows:
Kolhapur-Rashivade 20 kms-Radhanagari 27-Radhanagari Dam 5-Phonda Ghat 26-37 kms-Phonda 3-NH17 12-Kanakavalli 6 kms, totalling 104 kms to reach NH17 just before Kanakavalli. At Rashivade, this road intersects the Kolhapur-Devgarh road. I have done this route on a bike early in the morning (leaving Kolhapur at 530 am) and reaching NH17 at 830 am - rising a 100 cc bike in thick fog.
Old 16th January 2008, 16:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I am planning a Pune - Goa trip this weekend, and would like advice about route/road conditions from folks who have done this trip before.

I have shortlisted 4 routes. They are written below. Please feel free to add to my list :-)

1. Pune to Nippani via NH4 -> Take a right just after Nippani -> Ajra -> Amboli -> Sawantwadi -> On to NH17 -> Continue till Panaji.

2. Pune to Sankeshwar via NH4 -> Take a right -> Gadhinglaj -> Ajra -> Amboli -> Sawantwadi -> On to NH17 -> Continue till Panaji.

3. Pune to Kolhapur via NH4 -> Gagan Bavda -> Kankavli -> Kudal -> Sawantwadi -> On to NH17 -> Continue till Panaji.

4. Pune to Kolhapur via NH4 -> Radhanagari -> Kankavli -> Kudal -> Sawantwadi -> On to NH17 -> Continue till Panaji.

It'd be great if you also mention decent places to eat on the route that you had taken, and also reliable pumps where I can fill fuel.

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Route No. 1 (NH4, right turn after nipani) is still best option, covered it during first week of feb for carnival in goa.

Road condition: NH4 is really excellent, liked it better than expressway except for four lanes instead of six lanes. Was able to maintain speeds of 80-100 easily. State roads after NH4 exit are not that bad. Few stretches are narrow but hardly any traffic on these roads, can maintain speeds of 60-80. Whenever one approaches state/district border, road condition becomes worse for about a kilometre.

Turns:
NH4 exit after nipani - Right turn after tawandi ghat. Two hotels on both sides of road named Satyawati & Kaveri.

Sawantwadi - On route back from goa to pune, take right turn after sawantwadi bus stop to reach amboli, straight road leads to Vengurla.

Eating joints - Hotel Sai international on NH4 before Karad
Kamats in sawantwadi next to moti talav(lake)

Toll Stops & amount:

Shivapur 45
Khambataki - 13
Anewadi 25
Tasawade 44
Kini 44
Kognoli(Karnataka) 25
Old 18th March 2008, 13:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Okk.. I am heading off to Goa from PUne. I guess the default route ise via Nipani-Ajra-Amboli-Savantvadi.

However, Since, I was heading to south Goa, I thought the NH4A route via Belgaum-Khanpur-Molem would have been better.. But people say its full of craters. Anyone been thru this stretch recently?

Any suggestions are most welcome.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:59   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Okk.. I am heading off to Goa from PUne. I guess the default route ise via Nipani-Ajra-Amboli-Savantvadi.

However, Since, I was heading to south Goa, I thought the NH4A route via Belgaum-Khanpur-Molem would have been better.. But people say its full of craters. Anyone been thru this stretch recently?

Any suggestions are most welcome.
Check this thread, it has some sections discussed related to your route

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...r-stretch.html
Old 18th March 2008, 14:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

mobike008. I have read that thread already. I guess my queries are all over the place .. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tml#post762477.

I was checking if just the Alnavar-Londa stretch is a mess or does it extend to Khanapur-Londa-Molem stretch. Coming down from Pune means that I dont go thru the Alnavar-Londa stretch.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:19   #37
Team-BHP Support

@Spadival, why do you want to take that route? The Pune - Kolhapur - Nipani - Uttur - Ajara - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa is the shortest distance with the best (amongst the rest) tarmac. If you want a scenic drive then it has to be via Gaganbawda but you've already done that route.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

moral.. I am heading off to South Goa. So thought I will avoid going thru Panjim etc.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:56   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
moral.. I am heading off to South Goa. So thought I will avoid going thru Panjim etc.
There is no traffic on the route to South Goa, whichever gate you enter from . If you enter from North, you don't even have to enter Panaji. You get off Mandovi river bridge, go left and take a right at the first island. This is NH-17B for you that takes you to Margao via Cortalim, Verna, Nuvem, etc. Don't worry about entering Goa from anywhere. If you tell me where you are headed to I could give you better info or you always have Google maps.
Old 18th March 2008, 15:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Oh.. ok. Then I'll go with your suggestion. BTW, Google maps does not show the Nipani-Uttur - Ajara - Amboli-Sawantwadi road at all. But Yahoo maps has it covered
Old 18th March 2008, 15:08   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh.. ok. Then I'll go with your suggestion. BTW, Google maps does not show the Nipani-Uttur - Ajara - Amboli-Sawantwadi road at all. But Yahoo maps has it covered
If you want the exact odometer readings then use this thread - Goa trip.
Old 18th March 2008, 15:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
432 Kms, Kothrud to Baga
Old 18th March 2008, 21:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
MF, unfortunately ur Goa pic trips have been reduced to thumbnails and the Picasa album has vanished !

But I guess the turn off from Nipani is just after point where Tavandi ghat ends ? -> Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
Old 18th March 2008, 22:29   #44
BHPian

@spadival: approx 20km's after you cross the toll naka at Maharashtra - Karnataka border,you can see a intersection on NH4.You can see a Hotel Kaveri on your right hand side.Just before this hotel,you have the roads that take you to Amboli through Aajra.
I have attached the pics of this place.hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Pune to Goa - advice on planned route would be appreciated-2141967155_39a6ba6041_b.jpg  

Pune to Goa - advice on planned route would be appreciated-2142759978_0617dc925f_b.jpg  

Old 19th March 2008, 09:07   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
MF, unfortunately ur Goa pic trips have been reduced to thumbnails and the Picasa album has vanished !

But I guess the turn off from Nipani is just after point where Tavandi ghat ends ? -> Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
Sorry about that Spadival. I had made the album private. Now its public again - Goa Drive.

You don't do the entire Tawandi ghat stretch. Just go up by say 3-4 kms and stick to the rightmost lane. Turn off at the first cut in the divider where you see the hotel as mentioned by jraj above.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th March 2008 at 09:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks