Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 11:32   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Did you take a lot of breaks? 9 hours for 430kms. seems slow going.
Well, i did take about 1-1.5 hrs breaks in between. And was driving a brand new car which had only run 500kms...hence did not go very fast.
Old 12th October 2009, 10:10   #92
BHPian

Pune Goa Route ?

Hello,
I will be travelling next week to Goa from Pune. I am confused which route I should take. I know 3 of those and am not sure about the road conditions and relative distance.
1) Kolhapur-Gaganbawda-Vaibhavwadi to NH-17
2) Ajra-Amboli to NH-17
3) Belgaum-KHanapur-Londa-CastleRock-Ponda.

PLease suggest the most suitable as I have never done this route by car. Any other pointers would be most helpful
Old 12th October 2009, 10:46   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Hello,
I will be travelling next week to Goa from Pune. I am confused which route I should take. I know 3 of those and am not sure about the road conditions and relative distance.
1) Kolhapur-Gaganbawda-Vaibhavwadi to NH-17
2) Ajra-Amboli to NH-17
3) Belgaum-KHanapur-Londa-CastleRock-Ponda.

PLease suggest the most suitable as I have never done this route by car. Any other pointers would be most helpful
1.Route 1 is very scenic but you would need to drive through Kolhapur town which could be tiring and there are chances that you would end up being on the wrong road and plus more time.No updates on the latest conditions.

2.Most popular route and the route is in very good condition.Take the turn off from Niapni opp Hotel Satyavati Palace on the Tavandi Ghats.

3.Totally avoidable.Very bad road conditions between Londa & Molem.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:58   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
1.Route 1 is very scenic but you would need to drive through Kolhapur town which could be tiring and there are chances that you would end up being on the wrong road and plus more time.No updates on the latest conditions.

2.Most popular route and the route is in very good condition.Take the turn off from Niapni opp Hotel Satyavati Palace on the Tavandi Ghats.

Thanks a lot for your input. I think this would be very helpful.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

ambivalent98, when you go to Goa can you post the route youve taken and the present condition of it. Thanks in Advance
Old 14th October 2009, 08:50   #96
BHPian

Quote:

I will take route 2. Any idea of the approx distances after the turnoff from Nipani and also once NH-17 is reached approx how much distance to Panaji ? Just curious to know since I have to plan my halts as I am travelling with my family esp two kids (6yrs and 1.5 yrs). The first stop would be at Kolhapur McDonalds which I hope is operational .
So just wondering where I could make my second and perhaps a third before I reach Dabolim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
ambivalent98, when you go to Goa can you post the route youve taken and the present condition of it. Thanks in Advance
Herr DeutscheAfrikar,
I am planning on posting a travelogue of sorts with some pictures. Will keep you posted. I will be travelling on the 20th and returning on the 23rd.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ambivalent_98,
(MapmyIndia-maps,directions and local search across India-just search,print and go! to:mapusa via:sawantwadi**q=search)
copy and paste the above in your web browser to see the route.
After Kognoli toll plaza, I think you need to drive 24 kms and jsut as the tawandi ghat starts your will find the two restaurants. Turn right and gon on to uttur and ajra. I think I will drive down on the 21st.
Enjoy your vacation and safe drive
Gruß
DAK
Old 14th October 2009, 10:59   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will take route 2. Any idea of the approx distances after the turnoff from Nipani and also once NH-17 is reached approx how much distance to Panaji ? Just curious to know since I have to plan my halts as I am travelling with my family esp two kids (6yrs and 1.5 yrs). The first stop would be at Kolhapur McDonalds which I hope is operational .
So just wondering where I could make my second and perhaps a third before I reach Dabolim.
From what I had noted down during my previous trips,distances are as follows:
  • K'pur Mcdonalds to Nipani turnoff @ Tavandi 40kms
  • Nipani turnoff to Uttur: 23kms
  • Turn Left @ Uttur to Ajra: 13kms
  • Turn right @ Ajra to Amboli: 35kms
  • Amboli to Sawantwadi : 35kms
  • Turn L @ NH17 jn @ S'wadi to Mapusa: 50kms
  • Mapusa to Panjim Mandovi bridge: 16kms
  • Panjim to Zuari River bridge on NH17 18kms
  • Turn right after bridge to Dabolim Apt: 15kms
Yes,Kolhapur Mcdonalds is operational.It is on your right side when you go from Pune to Nipani.I dont really think there would be another stop needed after K'pur,except at the Amboli waterfalls,Try out the bhajjis at the falls.K'pur to Dabolim would take around 3.5hrs for a distance of 200kms
Old 14th October 2009, 11:19   #99

I did a Pune-Goa road trip in May. The Belgaon-Khanapur-Phonda route was better: gradual descend, nice drive through the national forest. While returning, we took the Amboli Ghat route. This is very scenic as well. Both roads were in good conditions.

However, my father made the same trip last month and experienced real bad road conditions on the Belgaon-Phonda route. I guess the heavy dumper trucks (from the nearby mines) routinely mess up the road during every monsoon!

Kholapur McDonalds was a great stop. Reminded me of the long U.S. road trips!

Amit
Old 14th October 2009, 13:40   #100
BHPian

Thanks a ton @ deutschafrikar and Ranjitp1.
Old 14th October 2009, 15:09   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton @ deutschafrikar and Ranjitp1.
Just a note,Goa is pretty good with their traffic policing,so stick to maintaining lane discipline and no overtaking at sections where its painted the long continuous white marker on the roads.Happy holidays and have a good drive
Old 16th October 2009, 10:30   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Just a note,Goa is pretty good with their traffic policing,so stick to maintaining lane discipline and no overtaking at sections where its painted the long continuous white marker on the roads.Happy holidays and have a good drive
Wow! Does everybody in Goa follow these rules so deligiently? That will be really nice.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:51   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Wow! Does everybody in Goa follow these rules so deligiently? That will be really nice.
From whatever I have seen and observed,yes traffic is very orderly there.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:11   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparanjape View Post
I Both roads were in good conditions.

However, my father made the same trip last month and experienced real bad road conditions on the Belgaon-Phonda route. I guess the heavy dumper trucks (from the nearby mines) routinely mess up the road during every monsoon!
Amit
The rains on these areas have to be seen to be believed. The streams turn to rivers and overflow onto the road. Nothing short of concrete would stand up to this battering. April to June is OK I guess. But come monsoons - bad scene.
ptushar - the continuous white lines are painted on curves where overtakeing is highly dangerous. also people here are aware of the (in) famous buses.
Old 16th October 2009, 21:13   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From whatever I have seen and observed,yes traffic is very orderly there.
I will second that.
DK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks