Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2006, 11:42   #1

Pune to Goa - advice on planned route would be appreciated

Would appreciate some advice on a new route we are planning to take to travel from Pune to Goa. Here's the full story :

We have been driving from Pune to South Goa (Margao) every year, and we have tried all the better-known routes. The main difference between the various routes is the ghat used to transfer from the NH4 (Mumbai-Bangalore) to NH17 (Mumbai-Goa). We have eventually settled on the route through Amboli Ghats, with the Nipani-Uttur-Ajra shortcut (this avoids Gadhinglaj) as this has been the quickest way.

This year we want to go all the way down to Belgaum on the NH4 before turning off. The conventional way would be to take the NH4A (Belgaum-Panaji) but I am told that the stretch between Londa and Molem is a complete disaster. Apparently a large number of huge trucks carrying ore are always on the road, and they have reduced it to a dirt track.

An alternative seems to be the Chorla Ghat road. The route appears to be like this :

(1) take the NH4A out of Belgaum and turn right at Piranwadi (this is very close to Belgaum)
(2) Pass through Jamboti to Chorla, where the ghat begins. A break at a new resort called "Wildernest" at Chorla has also been recommended.
(3) Come down Chorla Ghat towards Senqelim and Mapusa.
(4) Turn off left at Valpoi (this is just before Senqelim) and go through the Bondla Sanctuary to Ponda.
(5) There is then a reasonably good road from Ponda to Margao.

Is anyone aware of these roads or better still travelled by them recently? Would appreciate feedback on them.
Old 17th September 2007, 10:04   #2

Help: Travel from Goa to Pune on Ganesh Chaturdashi (25th Sep, 2007)

Can someone help melease:

I am planning to travel from Goa to Pune on 25th Sep, 2007 through the route Goa->Poladpur->Mulshi->Pune (mostly NH17). Will start early morning to reach Pune by evening. As Ganesh Chaturdashi falls on the same day, can you please advise if I am likely to face traffic problems on the way?
Any alternatives are welcome.

Cheers,
Esteem77

Mod's Note: Please post in the correct section and in existing open threads on the subject. Also, not more than 2 smilies per post is allowed.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th September 2007 at 11:18. Reason: Merged with the existing thread and extra smiley removed.
Old 17th September 2007, 11:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Mulshi road is normally in a bad shape during the rains - I would avoid it unless I am really keen on doing it for the heck of it. I have driven through NH17 on Ganpati day, you will encounter some minor processions here and there, but by and large there is no problem in that route.

I would take the Chiplun-Koyna-Karad route instead of the Pholadpur-Mulshi route.
Old 17th September 2007, 12:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilbeam View Post
Would appreciate some advice on a new route we are planning to take to travel from Pune to Goa. Here's the full story :

We have been driving from Pune to South Goa (Margao) every year, and we have tried all the better-known routes. The main difference between the various routes is the ghat used to transfer from the NH4 (Mumbai-Bangalore) to NH17 (Mumbai-Goa). We have eventually settled on the route through Amboli Ghats, with the Nipani-Uttur-Ajra shortcut (this avoids Gadhinglaj) as this has been the quickest way.

This year we want to go all the way down to Belgaum on the NH4 before turning off. The conventional way would be to take the NH4A (Belgaum-Panaji) but I am told that the stretch between Londa and Molem is a complete disaster. Apparently a large number of huge trucks carrying ore are always on the road, and they have reduced it to a dirt track.

An alternative seems to be the Chorla Ghat road. The route appears to be like this :

(1) take the NH4A out of Belgaum and turn right at Piranwadi (this is very close to Belgaum)
(2) Pass through Jamboti to Chorla, where the ghat begins. A break at a new resort called "Wildernest" at Chorla has also been recommended.
(3) Come down Chorla Ghat towards Senqelim and Mapusa.
(4) Turn off left at Valpoi (this is just before Senqelim) and go through the Bondla Sanctuary to Ponda.
(5) There is then a reasonably good road from Ponda to Margao.

Is anyone aware of these roads or better still travelled by them recently? Would appreciate feedback on them.
There is a road from Belgaum, which, I think will take you via Amboli, and you exit at Sawantwadi. The road to Belgaum is BRILLIANT, the ghat, though a tad too long, has a great road. I did this on the 19th of May. Left Pune in the evening, stopped at Belgaum, took this road to Palolem. Took me around 8 hours overall. 4+4. Did this driving comfortably in a Civic; no really high speeds.
Hope this helps. Go Goa!
Old 19th September 2007, 13:45   #5
BHPian

Yep, the Belgaum-Amboli route is the best
Old 19th September 2007, 15:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

BTW guys, you don't have to go all the way to Belgaum to take this route. You have to turn off at Nipani on the ghat.
Old 19th September 2007, 16:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
BTW guys, you don't have to go all the way to Belgaum to take this route. You have to turn off at Nipani on the ghat.
I agree , you have to take the right after kolhapur on Nipani, this is the best route, good country roads no traffic at all and yes it gets you to Goa quicker saves time. Very scenic road liked it last year traveled twice via that route. The belgaum route adds about 50-60 kms more.
Old 20th September 2007, 00:09   #8

Thanks

Thanks moderator for posting on correct thread.

Thanks for the responses
Old 26th September 2007, 10:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
I agree , you have to take the right after kolhapur on Nipani, this is the best route, good country roads no traffic at all and yes it gets you to Goa quicker saves time. Very scenic road liked it last year traveled twice via that route. The belgaum route adds about 50-60 kms more.
the nipani amboli rd abt 70 kms, is narrow and bad in patches. other wise pune goa is best thru this route
Old 19th October 2007, 18:22   #10
BHPian

Latest Nipani route road conditions? Calling GOA addicts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
the nipani amboli rd abt 70 kms, is narrow and bad in patches. other wise pune goa is best thru this route
Has anyone used the Nipani route lately, wanted to know the condition of the roads, I am using the SWIFT, planing to travel soon to GOA for a vacation. Need to know how good the roads are at present. GOANDUDE need your first hand opinion here.
Old 19th October 2007, 19:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Has anyone used the Nipani route lately, wanted to know the condition of the roads, I am using the SWIFT, planing to travel soon to GOA for a vacation. Need to know how good the roads are at present. GOANDUDE need your first hand opinion here.
The route i was talking about is

PUNE-KOLHAPUR-NIPANI-SANKESHWAR (TURN RIGHT OFF EXPRESSWAY)-VILLAGES>>> GADHINGLAJ-AJRA-GHATKAR-SAVANTWADI-BANDA-MAPUSA. Anyone used this route before? or know about this route road condition at present?
Old 21st October 2007, 18:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

the condition is not that good... it takes quit a long time because of this... try going to belgaum and from there anmod. have heard from my friend that the road is done up real good on that route...
Old 13th November 2007, 18:42   #13
BHPian

Avoid Belgaum - Goa via NH4A

I just got back from a trip to Goa, and on the onward journey we drove till Belgaum and followed the NH4A via Londa & Anmod to reach Panjim via Ponda. The road is simply awful with monstrous potholes and areas where there is no real road surface. I'm happy that I appear to have escaped without any major issues with the car.

Just wanted to tell other members driving down from Pune to avoid this route at all costs.

Thanks,
Amit.
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:14   #14
BHPian

GOANs or GOA Addicts please respond soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_julian View Post
I just got back from a trip to Goa, and on the onward journey we drove till Belgaum and followed the NH4A via Londa & Anmod to reach Panjim via Ponda. The road is simply awful with monstrous potholes and areas where there is no real road surface. I'm happy that I appear to have escaped without any major issues with the car.

Just wanted to tell other members driving down from Pune to avoid this route at all costs.

Thanks,
Amit.
So the best route to GOA still stands at

[FONT=&quot]Satara>Karad>Kolhapur>Nipani>Sankeshwar> [Right turn to Ghadinlaj] >ajra> Savantwadi> [Left turn for Banda] Banda > Pedne [police Station]>Chapodem>Anjuna Beach>Baga.

Anyone got a fresh first hands on this ? or any other route after the rains? Need opinion fast may be leaving in a day or two..

[/FONT]
Old 28th November 2007, 14:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi all..

Any idea if some of the routes to Goa apply in case of going from Pune to Tarkarli beach near Malwan?

Yahoo India gave this option - > Yahoo! India Maps

But I am not sure if the route actually exists !! Such is my confidence on Yahoo India and mapmyindia maps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks