Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2017, 17:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Options for Car Camping in India

Is there any diesel stove available for camping? If yes, please share the details from where i can buy it.
Old 18th August 2017, 15:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
Is there any diesel stove available for camping? If yes, please share the details from where i can buy it.
@PointZero. I am using a standard 5 kg LPG cylinder with a burner attached to it. Never had any issues so far. I just ensure I load it up either securely of the roof, or with ventilation. Other options are available on amazon and other trekking sites like stikage.com
They also deliver by mail.
Some useful links:
1. www.stikage.com
2. http://adventurepoint.in/index.php?r...product_id=143

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 18th August 2017 at 15:06.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 16:10   #18
BHPian

I have used 3KG LPG during Arunachal trip which is very good. But faced many question from Army and Asam border police for carrying gas and which is very risky. I am seraching for diesel because carrying single fuel for car and stove will be easier and safe too.

Any ways, thanks for the information. Let me check the available options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
@PointZero. I am using a standard 5 kg LPG cylinder with a burner attached to it. Never had any issues so far. I just ensure I load it up either securely of the roof, or with ventilation. Other options are available on amazon and other trekking sites like stikage.com
They also deliver by mail.
Some useful links:
1. www.stikage.com
2. http://adventurepoint.in/index.php?r...product_id=143
Old 18th August 2017, 17:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi - I have used two types of small stoves. One has a small cylinder below it and the cylinder holds about 1 ltr gas. These come as use and throw. Most mountain gear stores have this. However, you cannot take it in a plane and remember it is flamable.

I have also used a multi fuel stove check this link http://www.amazon.in/Danny-Newest-ou...lti+fuel+stove

This is better since kerosene/petrol/diesel can be used in this. Though it is rather expensive. A couple of other versions are available but all are above 8k.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 23:03   #20
BHPian

Your are right.. I was checking Coleman Dual Fuel stove.. Which is also very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hi - I have used two types of small stoves. One has a small cylinder below it and the cylinder holds about 1 ltr gas. These come as use and throw. Most mountain gear stores have this. However, you cannot take it in a plane and remember it is flamable.

I have also used a multi fuel stove check this link http://www.amazon.in/Danny-Newest-ou...lti+fuel+stove

This is better since kerosene/petrol/diesel can be used in this. Though it is rather expensive. A couple of other versions are available but all are above 8k.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 18th August 2017, 23:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Your are right.. I was checking Coleman Dual Fuel stove.. Which is also very expensive.
You can go for the stoves that run on fuel cubes e.g.

http://www.amazon.in/Camp-Stoves-Oli...Olive%20Planet
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 00:36   #22
BHPian

Thanks Sumitro Da,

I saw the option of solid fuel stove. But looking into the size and picture I am in confusion whether it will be really helpful for minimum cooking or not? May be i can buy one for experiment as the cost is not high.

Regards -
PointZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
You can go for the stoves that run on fuel cubes e.g.

http://www.amazon.in/Camp-Stoves-Oli...Olive%20Planet
PointZero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sumitro Da,

I saw the option of solid fuel stove. But looking into the size and picture I am in confusion whether it will be really helpful for minimum cooking or not? May be i can buy one for experiment as the cost is not high.

Regards -
PointZero
These are best used for warming things up of for making tea coffee. Burn out rate is very high and if its windy, the heat gets lost and the cooking time increases. Further the size of the stove also limits the size of the cooking vessel.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:48   #24
BHPian

Best options:
1. 5kg LPG cylinder secured on roof.
2. Trekking Stove with Butane Canister. Available on net as well as trekking eqpt stores.
Old 25th July 2020, 01:32   #25
BHPian

I stumbled on this thread while searching for self camping information. I want to start camping once the situation improves after covid lockdown. I'm working in Mumbai and planning to checkout all self camping locations around over the course of next year, hopefully. Let's see how much is achieved. I'm missing the outdoors badly during the lockdown.

I have shortlisted an Arpenaz tent from decathlon and butane Gas camping stove ready to order. I'm a newbie in camping and safety is the biggest concern. If someone is interested in finding safe camping sites, driving down there and have some outdoor peaceful time, drop a message. We will figure something out once this madness subsides.
Old 25th July 2020, 07:52   #26
BHPian

Went through entire thread as it is new to me and lists nearly everything. However, having done Camping in USA quite a number of times, I wish to point out the missing point - Safety aspect. What is the safety of Camper from Wild animals and worse from two footed inhumans ?
The wild animals may get attracted from the odour of cooking. They may not approach while fire is lit or Campers are awake, but certainly will be interested to scavenge through your leftovers and Campers life could be endangered too.
IMHO the Camp site must be checked for wildlife in the vicinity. As a Safety Gear, a Stun Gun may be included (legality in India to be verified).
Other important item, not listed, though available in Vehicle (hopefully) - Fire Extinguisher should be at hands reach.
With plenty of LED ligjts consuming very little power, a floodlight connected to Car Battery must be included.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 21:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Went through entire thread as it is new to me and lists nearly everything. However, having done Camping in USA quite a number of times, I wish to point out the missing point - Safety aspect. What is the safety of Camper from Wild animals and worse from two footed inhumans ?
The wild animals may get attracted from the odour of cooking. They may not approach while fire is lit or Campers are awake, but certainly will be interested to scavenge through your leftovers and Campers life could be endangered too.
IMHO the Camp site must be checked for wildlife in the vicinity. As a Safety Gear, a Stun Gun may be included (legality in India to be verified).
Other important item, not listed, though available in Vehicle (hopefully) - Fire Extinguisher should be at hands reach.
With plenty of LED ligjts consuming very little power, a floodlight connected to Car Battery must be included.
Logged back in after a considerable absence to see things have changed considerably in the COVID-19 scenario. But for us, it is work as usual. Hope to remain active on the forum from now.
My solutions to the above:
1. Have a flat roof rack like the one I fabricated, and use if for cooking etc in case you are in places expecting uninvited wild visitors. Post that, there is still plenty of space for other storage. (Plus the view is fabulous)
2. The unfolding bed inside the ride is perfect for sleeping even many nights at a stretch. So not a bother at all.
3. The extra spare goes up on the roof which doubles up as a seat too. This clears considerable space under the bed. Considering the kind of travel people like us undertake, most stuff is stowable.
4. As far the washing is concerned, places where we head... there is nobody to bother. Take a dip, and walk into the jungle with a spade to cover up your stuff after doing your thing.
Best regards
K
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 20:26   #28
BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

I have recently purchased a portable stove that runs on Butane canisters .

It contains 4 canisters of 250 gms each. I would like to know
1. Is it safe to carry the canisters in the boot of the car?
2. If not, please suggest how can I safely transport it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
Best options:
1. 5kg LPG cylinder secured on roof.
2. Trekking Stove with Butane Canister. Available on net as well as trekking eqpt stores.
Best Regards,
Sayak
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 20:35   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Have carried on few occasions but was not able to use. You can also think of carrying electric kettle/ stove if electricity is not an issue and you have concerns on safety.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th August 2021 at 20:36.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 22:04   #30
BHPian

1. NO. It is not safe to carry anything that can potentially explode and that too in the confines of your car.
2. Alternatively, may carry securely fastened on roof-rack in an upright position.
3. Donot leave it exposed to direct sunlight for long durations.
4. Kerosene stoves are also a good alternative.

Best regards
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Reviving an old thread.

I have recently purchased a portable stove that runs on Butane canisters .

2. If not, please suggest how can I safely transport it.

Best Regards,
Sayak

Most Viewed