Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 19:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujayvsarma View Post
Which of these would be advisable (based on your recent experiences with the roads)?
  1. Hyderabad - Pune - Mumbai outskirts - Vapi - Daman
    (NH9 + NH4 + NH8: ~840 Kms, ~13 hours)
  2. Hyderabad - Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Mudumalai - Ooty
    (NH7 + ?NH67: ~850 Kms, ~13 hours)
  3. Hyderabad - Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Erode - Coimbatore - Ooty
    (NH7 + NH47: ~990 Kms, ~13 hours)
Or some other place in the same time-duration zone. I have the following constraints: [1] Full forward and return trip (back to Hyd) needs to be within 1 day, or a day and a half max. [2] Time at the destination to do sightseeing for atleast one day.

Vapi & Ooty are no comparisons.Go to Ooty,fantastic roads.Day 1 with a 4-5am start you would be in Mysore by evening.Next day Ooty.Coming back stay the night at Blore and continue towards hyd.

HYD-BLR: 9 HRS / BLR-MYS:3HRS / MYS-OOTY:3HRS

Places to stay: Blr-Ocea hotel is a good place to stay on brigade road.Else so many places at hebbal.

Ooty: Sherlock is an excellent place to stay in Ooty,

Its definitely not worth the drive to daman just to see the place.
Old 27th October 2010, 19:52   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Vapi & Ooty are no comparisons.Go to Ooty,fantastic roads.Day 1 with a 4-5am start you would be in Mysore by evening.Next day Ooty.Coming back stay the night at Blore and continue towards hyd.

HYD-BLR: 9 HRS / BLR-MYS:3HRS / MYS-OOTY:3HRS

Places to stay: Blr-Ocea hotel is a good place to stay on brigade road.Else so many places at hebbal.

Ooty: Sherlock is an excellent place to stay in Ooty,

Its definitely not worth the drive to daman just to see the place.
I know the Hyd-Blr route very well. Last time I did it was about 6 months ago, I hear it is more fully done now (only about 10 kms left around Gooty if I am not mistaken). Confident of doing that part in about 6-7 hours now. Ooty is also no stranger to me... Did my high school there (Kotagiri) and hence my first pick.

Thanks Ranjith for the hotel suggestion, will definitely check it out! []
Old 27th October 2010, 20:18   #93
BHPian

I think Hyd to Ooty is doable easily in a single day. I did Bangalore to Mysore easily in about 13 hrs 2.5 yrs back when the NH7 was in it's old avatar and wasted time in Bangalore traffic.

I agree with Ranjit that Ooty is the place to go for sightseeing. Added bonus superb roads. The trick would be to have clear directions to pass through Bangalore traffic as quickly as possible.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:22   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
I think Hyd to Ooty is doable easily in a single day. I did Bangalore to Mysore easily in about 13 hrs 2.5 yrs back when the NH7 was in it's old avatar and wasted time in Bangalore traffic.

I agree with Ranjit that Ooty is the place to go for sightseeing. Added bonus superb roads. The trick would be to have clear directions to pass through Bangalore traffic as quickly as possible.
That was quick []. So thats what I am doing. Hyd-Blore-Ooty. With an overnight stage at Blore, as I dont fancy driving up the ghats in half-light if I got stuck in traffic along the way. My trip is during the Diwali weekend, would any of you folks be around on the way?

My stage in Blore would be from Sadanand Nagar (exact location -- there is a railway station too there, just on the other side of the tracks from the platforms). How do I get from here to the Mysore road? I should be starting out as early as possible in the morning.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:58   #95
BHPian

Hello all,

Just wanted to share with you that the HYD - BLR - MYSORE trip is very much possible in one day. About two weeks ago I covered HYD - BLR in about 7 hrs (my vehicle is a petrol Accent) and BLR - Mysore in about 3 hours. Traffic between BLR airport road and Mysore State Highway is bad - plan to be stuck for at least 45 - 60 mins. We did a Mysore to Coorg drive on the next day and stayed over for 3N / 4D - very pleasant experience.
Old 27th October 2010, 21:12   #96
BHPian

Quote:
That was quick []. So thats what I am doing. Hyd-Blore-Ooty. With an overnight stage at Blore, as I dont fancy driving up the ghats in half-light if I got stuck in traffic along the way. My trip is during the Diwali weekend, would any of you folks be around on the way?

My stage in Blore would be from Sadanand Nagar (exact location -- there is a railway station too there, just on the other side of the tracks from the platforms). How do I get from here to the Mysore road? I should be starting out as early as possible in the morning.
Boss, a 4am start from Hyderabad would put you in ooty at around 7pm; put in 2 half hour breaks and it should be 8pm. Why waste a night outside such a beautiful place? For that mysore road you better contact HVK saab, and follow his instructions precisely. You wont face any problems.
Old 27th October 2010, 21:23   #97
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Hyderabad Pune is a pain to drive on NH9. If it's beaches you are looking for, look no further than Vizag.

I'd suggest go with Hyd - Bangalore - anywhere.
Old 27th October 2010, 21:37   #98
Team-BHP Support

If you dont want to stay in BLR for a break, look at posts #8,9 and 10 of the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

It will help by-pass BLR.

Last edited by ampere : 27th October 2010 at 21:39.
Old 27th October 2010, 21:46   #99
BHPian

I might Recommend suryalanka near bapatla around 400 kms from hyderabad
There is a APTDC resort there facing the sea and the experience of having a bonfire on sea shore at night is simply marvelous.
Old 27th October 2010, 23:43   #100
BHPian

I will also recommend Hampi as a great short trip destination - Went there recently
3 days in total is what is needed.
Leave day 1 early morning 4-5 am from hyd - reach Hampi by 11-12 ( 7 hrs max )
Check in to hampi or hospet & do Tungbhadra dam & relax. Or just hang aroun Hampi bazaar.
Day 2 - In hampi hire a guide for 4-5 hrs to cover all the sites - don't just drive around the ruins - you will learn nothing about the place or it's wonderful history.
Do eat continental, italian, israeli food at the various backpacker joints in Hampi - 2x the taste & 0.5 x of the cost of what you get in Hyderabad. Cross the river & spend couple of hrs on the other side & finish it with a sunset view.
Day 3 - morning - revisit some more ruins or watch sunrise or just chill out in hampi or photograph the weird boulder formations or hire a bicycle & ride around. Have lunch & start back for Hyd.
Perfecto - time well spent
Old 28th October 2010, 07:41   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which of these would be advisable (based on your recent experiences with the roads)?
  1. Hyderabad - Pune - Mumbai outskirts - Vapi - Daman
    (NH9 + NH4 + NH8: ~840 Kms, ~13 hours)
  2. Hyderabad - Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Mudumalai - Ooty
    (NH7 + ?NH67: ~850 Kms, ~13 hours)
  3. Hyderabad - Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Erode - Coimbatore - Ooty
    (NH7 + NH47: ~990 Kms, ~13 hours)
Or some other place in the same time-duration zone. I have the following constraints: [1] Full forward and return trip (back to Hyd) needs to be within 1 day, or a day and a half max. [2] Time at the destination to do sightseeing for atleast one day.

Firstly why do you want to do a 2000 Kms drive just to stay for a day. Doesn't make sense to me. I would suggest something in the 500 Kms radius and my options would be:
  1. Ajanta / Ellora ~500Kms
  2. Suryalanka ~400 Kms
  3. Lonavala/ Khandala ~600 Kms
  4. Panchgani ~ 600 Kms
  5. Horsley Hills~450Kms
Old 28th October 2010, 11:43   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Firstly why do you want to do a 2000 Kms drive just to stay for a day. Doesn't make sense to me. I would suggest something in the 500 Kms radius and my options would be:
  1. Ajanta / Ellora ~500Kms
  2. Suryalanka ~400 Kms
  3. Lonavala/ Khandala ~600 Kms
  4. Panchgani ~ 600 Kms
  5. Horsley Hills~450Kms
+1 to that,you would never make it to Vapi in 13 hours.Hyd-Pune will take you 11 hours,Pune-Panvel will take you around 2-3hours,Panvel-Ghodbunder another 2hours.G'bunder-Vapi-3hours.
Old 30th October 2010, 17:42   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Boss, a 4am start from Hyderabad would put you in ooty at around 7pm; put in 2 half hour breaks and it should be 8pm. Why waste a night outside such a beautiful place? For that mysore road you better contact HVK saab, and follow his instructions precisely. You wont face any problems.
Finalized on the Hyd/Blr/Ooty trip. I do need to do an overnight now in Blore for another reason - additional folks joining up from there!

unoczar: your suggestion of asking HVK is for roads within Mysore or the route from Blore to Mysore?
Old 30th October 2010, 22:25   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Finalized on the Hyd/Blr/Ooty trip. I do need to do an overnight now in Blore for another reason - additional folks joining up from there!

unoczar: your suggestion of asking HVK is for roads within Mysore or the route from Blore to Mysore?

to by pass the city traffic, in case you're doing a no-stopper. But in any case, his opinions are worthwhile! i affectionately call him High Vay Kumar!
Old 1st November 2010, 09:20   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If you want to bypass Mysore, you have an Outer Ring road at the Columbia Asia Hospital. Take left and continue as per the sign boards.

But note its at least 10-12 km extra. If you have a GPS and can wade through the city, you can hit the other end and its much faster.
Hardly any traffic inside the city. But you will find heavy traffic on the Mysore-Nanjangud stretch and also bad roads.

But what I wonder is where does this traffic go after Nanjangud. The road almost empty with a beautiful 2L NH212.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks