Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 17:29   #136
J.Ravi

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Thanks a lot, naveen.raju, for detailed report. It will be very useful to me for this trip.

Old 11th April 2011, 18:50   #137
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Planning a Kochi trip next weekend, will be doing a night drive from Bangalore, need information on this route I have planned

Electronic City - Dindigul - Theni(NH 45) - Kochi(NH 49)

Plan to start at 2am, I am the single passenger.

How is the road from Dindigul onwards?
Old 11th April 2011, 19:11   #138
BHPian

asdon,

Are you planning to go via Munnar from Theni?

Had done the route 3 weeks back. Dindigul to Theni the road is in pretty good condition. Most of the stretches you can maintain an average of 80-90kmph. The roads are lil bumpy for few kms before you approach Theni town.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:16   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
asdon,

Are you planning to go via Munnar from Theni?

Had done the route 3 weeks back. Dindigul to Theni the road is in pretty good condition. Most of the stretches you can maintain an average of 80-90kmph. The roads are lil bumpy for few kms before you approach Theni town.
How the road after Theni? anyways by the time I reach there it will be morning, so how light is the traffic?
Old 11th April 2011, 19:17   #140
Team-BHP Support

I think the Munnar option is much longer (almost by 100 Km.)

Regular: (547)

Bengaluru, Karnataka to Kochi, Kerala - Google Maps

Via Munnar (649)

What I can suggest is an option via Valparai. I drove up to Valparai 2 weeks back and road were fabulous and this provides a good option to by-pass CBE-Palghat work as well.
You can directly end at Chalakudy and take the NH47 to Cochin there on.

Also provides some very good views. (I dont know the road status from Valprai to Chalakudy). But up to Chalakudy the roads were in very good condition.

The distance comes to about 610 (in between the above two options)

Old 11th April 2011, 19:23   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
How the road after Theni? anyways by the time I reach there it will be morning, so how light is the traffic?
Munnar - Cochin the roads are in very good shape but I'm not sure about the road conditions between Theni & Munnar.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:25   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the Munnar option is much longer (almost by 100 Km.)

Regular: (547)

Via Munnar (649)

What I can suggest is an option via Valparai. I drove up to Valparai 2 weeks back and road were fabulous and this provides a good option to by-pass CBE-Palghat work as well.
You can directly end at Chalakudy and take the NH47 to Cochin there on.

Also provides some very good views. (I dont know the road status from Valprai to Chalakudy). But up to Chalakudy the roads were in very good condition.

The distance comes to about 610 (in between the above two options)

I doubt the distance, because from my house to my destination via the route I planned is 622 km, in this trip I am not really bothered about landscape and beauty, has to be a fast drive, so chose NH7 and the time, have done Dindigul in 4 hrs in past. The place I will visit is Tripunithura.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:32   #143
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt the distance, because from my house to my destination via the route I planned is 622 km, in this trip I am not really bothered about landscape and beauty, has to be a fast drive, so chose NH7 and the time, have done Dindigul in 4 hrs in past. The place I will visit is Tripunithura.
If your concern is a fast drive. Then I would suggest you to stick to NH7 & 47 combo only. You can easily do the distance in 8-9 hours depending on the speed that you drive at and number of breaks taken.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:37   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just put Bangalore as the start point in Google map. And hence difference in the route options would be consistent as this would be relative.

Even road conditions wise, the road via Kangeyam/Palladam/Pollachi was very good. I woud rate it better than the NH49/Munnar terrain. Other can comment on the recent Bodi-Munnar-Adimali status.

In fact Valparai option may also turn out to be faster, as the traffic through Valparai is much lesser as compared to the Munnar traffic. Plus we are talking about 40-50 km lesser distance to cover.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:45   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I just put Bangalore as the start point in Google map. And hence difference in the route options would be consistent as this would be relative.

Even road conditions wise, the road via Kangeyam/Palladam/Pollachi was very good. I woud rate it better than the NH49/Munnar terrain. Other can comment on the recent Bodi-Munnar-Adimali status.

In fact Valparai option may also turn out to be faster, as the traffic through Valparai is much lesser as compared to the Munnar traffic. Plus we are talking about 40-50 km lesser distance to cover.
ampere,

Isn't the NH7 & 47 a better & faster option for him to reach the destination rather than the other 2 routes?

Agreed that the the traffic is less on that route but then the road through Sholayar is narrow and if there is a Lorry/Bus breakdown means that chances of getting stuck is very much high.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:52   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
ampere,

Isn't the NH7 & 47 a better & faster option for him to reach the destination rather than the other 2 routes?

Agreed that the the traffic is less on that route but then the road through Sholayar is narrow and if there is a Lorry/Bus breakdown means that chances of getting stuck is very much high.
I totally agree. I initially thought Asdon wanted to go through a scenic place and hence suggested Valprai instead of Munnar, as it would be less hectic than Munnar. Then he mentioned about fastest time.

My only thoughts then were about the Avinashi-CBE-Palaghat-Trichur sector. If that eats lot of time, then for sure Valparai is a hassle free option. As the status of Avinashi-CBE-Palaghat-Trichur keeps changing on a daily basis, my conclusion may not hold good in such cases. Folks who drive CBE-Palghat on a regular basis can comment on the same.

Your point on narrow road is very valid. I did not take that into account.

Last edited by ampere : 11th April 2011 at 19:53.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:18   #147
Senior - BHPian

To reach Tripunithura via Theni route will also be as time-consuming as the NH47 route since you will get slowed down considerably in the ghat sections and once sown to the plains, driving past several towns like Thodupuzha, Muvattupuzha, etc to reach Tripunithura is also not easy. Now that NH47 between Trissur & Ernakulam is good, maybe it is best you stick to NH476 route, except for the slow-down after Avinashi.
Old 11th April 2011, 22:01   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
To reach Tripunithura via Theni route will also be as time-consuming as the NH47 route since you will get slowed down considerably in the ghat sections and once sown to the plains, driving past several towns like Thodupuzha, Muvattupuzha, etc to reach Tripunithura is also not easy. Now that NH47 between Trissur & Ernakulam is good, maybe it is best you stick to NH476 route, except for the slow-down after Avinashi.
So you are suggesting to take NH 47 from Salem? How is that road 2/4 lane? And considering its a night journey and 1st time on NH 47 and I am so good in Tamil language, will it be a nice option?
Old 11th April 2011, 22:12   #149
BHPian

asdon,

The road from Salem to Coimbatore is 4 laned except the stretch at Avinashi were 4 laming work is in progress. You can easily do Salem - Coimbatore in 3-3.5 hours.
Old 12th April 2011, 08:51   #150
BHPian

Thanks to all, for so many information, I did some more search and calculation and reached that I will take NH 47 from Salem. Here is a comparison I made for 2 routes, I hope i can keep the timing of route 1. will update after I am back.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries-kochi-trip.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks