Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 09:29   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Since you plan for a 2am start, you will be doing Avinashi stretch at 6-7am which will not be a big issue. Plan for the break only after crossing this stretch.
You can target Tripunithura in 8-9hours with a peaceful drive.

Last edited by coolclouds : 12th April 2011 at 09:30.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:36   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Thanks to all, for so many information, I did some more search and calculation and reached that I will take NH 47 from Salem. Here is a comparison I made for 2 routes, I hope i can keep the timing of route 1. will update after I am back.
The normal route will be best if you are looking to reach early. I had taken this route last month. We started at 4.30 AM and reached by 12.30PM. Two stops in between. I would recommend this route since this is one straight stretch ad wont be confusing.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:03   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Since you plan for a 2am start, you will be doing Avinashi stretch at 6-7am which will not be a big issue. Plan for the break only after crossing this stretch.
You can target Tripunithura in 8-9hours with a peaceful drive.
Anything to watch out for in Avinashi? is the streach bad or under repair?
Old 12th April 2011, 10:10   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4lane work is going on at this stretch and small small diversions for flyover construction. Its easily manageable and no need to worry.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:40   #155
BHPian

I believe the discussion is about those small diversions on the NH between Coimbatore and Salem. If so, better watch out, if you are driving in the night. I wonder how, but those spots have metal fillings and sharp edged objects on the ground. Got the tyres punctured twice.

Those maniacs driving the Volvos care a hoot about other motorists on the road, especially in the night with those blinding headlights. At one of these diversions, I had a close call the other day, when I was driving from Kochi to Bangalore in the Ikon.

Last edited by jeeva : 12th April 2011 at 10:42.
Old 12th April 2011, 15:26   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Work is on along this stretch. Better watch out for the local bus drivers. They drive like maniacs. I had a close call with them. Other than that everything is fine.

Also watch out for the bus drivers between Walayar-Thrissur. Another set of maniacs.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:08   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Work is on along this stretch. Better watch out for the local bus drivers. They drive like maniacs. I had a close call with them. Other than that everything is fine.

Also watch out for the bus drivers between Walayar-Thrissur. Another set of maniacs.
If the problem is with local bus drivers then I will start at 1am, so by morning I will cross Thrissur. I had a close call with a Volvo 2 year back while going to Kanyakumari, before Salem, then 4 lane work was going on. So I choose night time so that atleast local traffics can be avoided.Other than toll plazas not planning for any break in the journey.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:31   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the problem is with local bus drivers then I will start at 1am, so by morning I will cross Thrissur. I had a close call with a Volvo 2 year back while going to Kanyakumari, before Salem, then 4 lane work was going on. So I choose night time so that atleast local traffics can be avoided.Other than toll plazas not planning for any break in the journey.
I dont think it would be an issue.

If you start by 2, you will take 2-2.5 hours to hit Salem and another 1-1.5 hours to hit Avinashi (the end of 4L). Till there it wont be an issue. That means by by 5-6 AM you would be on CBE bypass. That early in the day, I hope there wont be much traffic and you should be able to cross without much trouble.

Nevertheless it would be always good to watch out.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:39   #159
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Vaikom to Bangalore on May 1st. Details below.

Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries-aa.jpg
Old 14th May 2011, 18:52   #160
BHPian

Just did the Bangalore-Kochi and back this week.

1. Bangalore to Chengapally (near Avinashi/Perumanaloor) - Amazing roads, speeds limited by your vehicle!
2. Chengapally to Coimbatore Bye pass - around 50 Kms. This is one crazy stretch that has innumerable diversions due to 4 laning work. This took more than 75 minutes (on both to and fro journeys). Heavy bus and truck traffic, that doesn't care a hoot about the bad patches.
3. Coimbatore bye pass to Palakkad - Good two lane roads, not too heavy traffic
4. Palakkad to Trichur - Amazing two lane roads. However, the 15 Kms before approaching Trichur is again a crazy stretch. Roads are patched, overtaking happens without giving a damn (especially by the heavy vehicles and taxis) about the oncoming side. This stretch is the most tiring and risky part.
5. Trichur to Kochi - Great 4 lane roads

Total time: Exactly 10 hours (both on to and fro journeys) with about 45 minutes break.

Off topic - After about 28 Kms from Salem towards Coimbatore, immediately after the toll gate, there's a tiny eatery called "New Goundar mess" on the left side. The sambar & chutney that I had here was the best that I've ever had in my life, I'm not exaggerating!

Last edited by PearlJam : 14th May 2011 at 18:53.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:08   #161
BHPian

Planning to drive to Ernakulam, and thinking of starting around lunch time, 1230hours. I have seen lots of threads on best route etc, please advise approx how many hours/traffic etc if starting at this time.
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:01   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Planning to drive to Ernakulam, and thinking of starting around lunch time, 1230hours. I have seen lots of threads on best route etc, please advise approx how many hours/traffic etc if starting at this time.
Assuming that you start from Silk Board Jn at 12.30, you can be at Coimbatore by 6-6.30pm easily with one break and Ernakulam at 9.30-10pm.

Have a check on alternate routes via Kangeyam, Palladam etc to avoid Avinashi stretch and decide while nearing Avinashi depending on traffic. If manageable traffic, proceed through NH47 itself.
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:52   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Assuming that you start from Silk Board Jn at 12.30, you can be at Coimbatore by 6-6.30pm easily with one break and Ernakulam at 9.30-10pm.

Have a check on alternate routes via Kangeyam, Palladam etc to avoid Avinashi stretch and decide while nearing Avinashi depending on traffic. If manageable traffic, proceed through NH47 itself.
I think what coolclouds suggested on the alternate route is worth a try.
From Perundurai-Kangeyam-Pongalur-Palladam route will save about 40-45 mins
than by Avinashi route.The Perundurai-Palladam route is in best of conditions.
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:45   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I think what coolclouds suggested on the alternate route is worth a try.
From Perundurai-Kangeyam-Pongalur-Palladam route will save about 40-45 mins
than by Avinashi route.The Perundurai-Palladam route is in best of conditions.
Thanks. I was checking google maps, and it was showing a route via mysore, is that worth considering taking road condition, speed, safety/traffic etc?
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:00   #165
Team-BHP Support

It wont be fastest. Plus you would crossing Bandipur/Nilambur section in the dark.
Plus about the Kageyam/Palldam part, I think Coolclouds referred to Palldam-Pollachi-Wadakancherry option. I am not sure how is Pollachi-Wadakancherry section is at night.
Please do check about it. Though roads all the way till you hit NH47 at Wadakancherry is very good, but not sure how they are in the dark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks