Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 13:02   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
I did get the tyres replaced, but will reserve the ghats for some other time as it will be tiring and need to get back to work on Monday.

All set for the trip tomorrow, here is the route I will be taking and back:

Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur

I am planning to leave BLR by 6AM on Saturday and leave Thrissue on Sunday 1PM so that I do most of my journey in day light.

The iffy thing about restroom - is true not only for Kerla, its true all over. I have found few Petrol Bunks (HP ones if I recollect it right) have decent ones. But yes, thanks for the locations, that surely will helps...
Palghat-Thrissur route is in a pretty bad state. Kindly update the road conditions since am planning a drive to Blore later this month.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:07   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Palghat-Thrissur route is in a pretty bad state. Kindly update the road conditions since am planning a drive to Blore later this month.
In that case let me call my friend who has already reached there for the wedding earlier this week and find out. Will keep you posted.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:14   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now this route Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trichur. I know up to Salem its great, how is it from Salem to Tirchur any thing to watch out for?
Why do you want to go to Salem and then to Coimbatore? You can actually take a right turn just after Thoppur and then reach Bhavani via Mettur and then to Perundurai and Coimbatore. This will save you a lot of distance.

Last time I came thru this place [6 months before or so], the Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani route was pathetic and work was supposed to be starting. Unless this route is patched up well [re-laid], you should not be thinking about Salem route.

Does anyone know the current status of Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Suggest some good eating places beyond Perundurai till Thrissur in this route? I know Diana and Aryaas in Vadakkencherry as you join back NH-47.
There is an Indian Coffee House also near Pattikkad. The food is just about ok there though.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st July 2011 at 13:15.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:15   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In that case let me call my friend who has already reached there for the wedding earlier this week and find out. Will keep you posted.
Yes, many have reported the road conditions. Even my dad had taken this route 2 weeks back.

The section where the 4 lane work is in progress (Salem) is also in a bad shape. Then you have Palghat - Thrissur stretch. From Thrissur - Cochin it's awesome.

Few sections between Palghat - Thrissur will look good and you may floor the gas but watch out for huge potholes that too bang in the middle of the road. I experienced this when I had taken this route to blore in Feb.

Also, as I had mentioned previously watch out for the govt bus drivers in Salem (where the work is in progress). They blindly overtake. Then in Palghat - Thrissur watch out for the private buses. Same case here.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:16   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why do you want to go to Salem and then to Coimbatore? You can actually take a right turn just after Thoppur and then reach Bhavani via Mettur and then to Perundurai and Coimbatore. This will save you a lot of distance.
Just spoke to my friend and he took this road on Monday and says the Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani road is good.

So change of plan - here is the route I will be taking till Palakad

NH7: BLR- Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Thoppur
SH20: Thoppur – Mettur – Bhavani
NH47: Bhavani – Coimbatore (L&T road) – Palakkad

Quote:
Yes, many have reported the road conditions. Even my dad had taken this route 2 weeks back.
Now here is what he recomends for the Palakkad - Thrissur and not NH47:

- Dont take the left bypass on to NH 47 instead go in to the Palakkad city
- get on to the Pattambi Road proceed till Kulappully.
- At Kullappully take left
* I suppose that will go via Wadakanchery to Thrissur

Google maps indicate the NH47 route will be 64 KM and this new one will be about 80 KM

I am yet to decide on this one - will let you all know once done it all depends on how I feel when I reach Palakkad.

PS: Food he recomeds a Kapilavastu hotel in Palakkad.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:29   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Google maps indicate the NH47 route will be 64 KM and this new one will be about 80 KM

I am yet to decide on this one - will let you all know once done it all depends on how I feel when I reach Palakkad.

Yes, I think it's Wadakanchery. Let us know the route once you reach.
There are few places in Palghat for food. I usually go to a veg restaurant just before the junction. It's on the left side and with a pretty big open space(parking space) on the front. Pretty decent food. Strictly veg though.
Old 1st July 2011, 15:16   #217
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Refer this thread for more info on alternate routes and road conditions for Palakkad-Trichur.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-160.html

Yes, Kapilavastu is really good (great for us veggies !). It's near the KSRTC bus stand and Mission School, ask anyone in town. If you are planning to go into town and then taking the alternate route to Trichur, this is a good option.

Quote:
I usually go to a veg restaurant just before the junction. It's on the left side and with a pretty big open space(parking space) on the front. Pretty decent food. Strictly veg though.
I think you are referring to Aryas at Chandranagar, where NH47 turns left (to go towards Trichur).

Last edited by NPV : 1st July 2011 at 15:30. Reason: added ref to other thread
Old 1st July 2011, 15:48   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think you are referring to Aryas at Chandranagar, where NH47 turns left (to go towards Trichur).
Yes, that's the one. Pretty decent place and it's on the same route if you are planning to avoid Palghat town.
Old 1st July 2011, 16:00   #219
Team-BHP Support

Folks, I was looking at last few posts. Which 4L section is bad on NH47/Salem?
I thought the 4L is beautifully done all the way till Avinashi from Bangalore.

There are two ways to Trichur. (If Trichur is the destination).

One you can go via Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkancherry-Trichur.
The other Option : CBE-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Trichur. (This one means you go through Avinashi and CBE-Walayar mess and also get into Palakkad)

The route via Pollachi by-passes all this, but you enter Trichur via NH47. (This I dont know how good it is.) Also can some one tell me where does the 4L on NH47 start beyond Palakkad?

The other point, which I wanted to understand: Why is going to CBE via Salem a pain. I thought its quite easy to by-pass Salem and getting on to NH47 from NH7 very easy. I myself drove all the way till Perundurai on the GQ in April and it was pure bliss. I never felt the need to go via Mettur. The only reason, why one would go to Mettur is because the approach to North CBE becomes easier via this option. (There are more than one routes for this).

Please let me know if I am missing something.
Old 1st July 2011, 16:19   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The route via Pollachi by-passes all this, but you enter Trichur via NH47. (This I dont know how good it is.) Also can some one tell me where does the 4L on NH47 start beyond Palakkad?

The other point, which I wanted to understand: Why is going to CBE via Salem a pain. I thought its quite easy to by-pass Salem and getting on to NH47 from NH7 very easy. I myself drove all the way till Perundurai on the GQ in April and it was pure bliss. I never felt the need to go via Mettur. The only reason, why one would go to Mettur is because the approach to North CBE becomes easier via this option. (There are more than one routes for this).

Ampere,

The 4L on NH47 after Palakkad starts just after Mannuthy.

And I agree with you regarding CBE via Salem. Except the Avinashi stretch the roads are fine.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 19:17   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just spoke to my friend and he took this road on Monday and says the Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani road is good.

So change of plan - here is the route I will be taking till Palakad

NH7: BLR- Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Thoppur
SH20: Thoppur – Mettur – Bhavani
NH47: Bhavani – Coimbatore (L&T road) – Palakkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Folks, I was looking at last few posts. Which 4L section is bad on NH47/Salem?
I thought the 4L is beautifully done all the way till Avinashi from Bangalore.

There are two ways to Trichur. (If Trichur is the destination).

One you can go via Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkancherry-Trichur.
The other Option : CBE-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancherry-Trichur. (This one means you go through Avinashi and CBE-Walayar mess and also get into Palakkad)

Please stick to NH7 till Salem.Do not go via Mettur-Bhavani.get onto NH47 at salem till Perundurai,then onto Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Koduvayur-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur bypass-Kuttanelloor-NH47-Cochin.

Ampere,

Presently EKM to Mannuthy 4laning has been complete and work(rather "potholing") has begun between Mannuthy & Vadakkencherry.Land acquistions done and tree uprooting completed!That is the reason it is pointless to go via Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakencheri anymore because you end up at Vadakkencheri.Hence the options from now on would be either Pollachi-Palakkad-Ottapalam or Pollachi-Koduvayur-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur.

Pollachi to Wadakkanchery via Alathur

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...bA&mra=ls&z=14

Way to Bypass Thrissur to connect to NH47 while coming from Shoranur-Wadakancheri:(connect to NH47 at Kuttanellur) just before the toll gate on nh47 under the flyover.

http://maps.google.co.in/m[/COLOR]aps?saddr=Wadakkancherry%2C+Kerala&daddr=10.531... 062%2C76.2193696+to%3A10.5309893%2C76.2260836+to%3 ARC+Bishop+House+Road%2C+Thrissur%2C+Kerala+680005 +%28East+Fort%29+to%3AJubilee+Mission+Medical+Coll ege+to%3ANational+Highway+47+to%3AKuttanalloor+to% 3ANH47%2C+Aluva%2C+Ernakulam%2C+Kerala&hl=en&ll=10 .520662%2C76.228724&spn=0.011055%2C0.019248&sll=10 .530598%2C76.222951&sspn=0.011054%2C0.019248&geoco de=FUimogAdOHmLBCmjMBjXF-inOzFGl0IZWS1wbA%3BFfawoAAd6QOLBCkJn37TU-6nOzF2k9NlyASx8Q%3BFa2woAAdIx6LBCnlzkQ5re-nOzHXe-2BamJlDQ%3BFYuSoAAdrh2LBCGmO1qBXGQECQ%3BFWiHoAAdHC OLBCGYICaFlJc0iw%3BFfIOoAAdqJqLBA%3BFRgsoAAd2o2LBC khPrTxHfCnOzEloXId3SUBig%3BFbZKmgAd6PqMBCl3r9KjJg8 IOzFm9r87QvIuIA&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1%2C2&z=1 6

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 1st July 2011 at 19:27.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 20:03   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Please stick to NH7 till Salem.Do not go via Mettur-Bhavani.get onto NH47 at salem till Perundurai,then onto Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Koduvayur-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur bypass-Kuttanelloor-NH47-Cochin.
@ranjitp1: any specific reason to avoid it?

Looking at the google maps, there is not much difference in the distance with either of the roads. I know the road till Salem is good have been on it couple of weeks back...

I am confused now!
Old 1st July 2011, 20:27   #223
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know the road till Salem is good have been on it couple of weeks back...

I am confused now!
From Salem once you get on to NH47 towards Coimbatore, the road is superb all the way till Avinashi. From there on till the L&T Palakkad bypass 4 laning work is in progress and there are several diversions but it was very much manageable when I last drove that stretch (end of May), but unpredictable due to truck traffic and depends on the day/time when you hit that place.
From Thoppur, going towards Mettur-Bhavani I think you can save at most 30km, but in my opinion not worth unless you want to see the countryside or the mettur dam, etc., staying on NH7 is faster.

Take the Perundurai route via Pollachi, etc only if you want to avoid Coimbatore-Palakkad (I would prefer Coimbatore outskirts/Palakkad for a food break). Sorry, definitely don't intend to confuse you even more !

Last edited by NPV : 1st July 2011 at 20:28.
Old 1st July 2011, 21:16   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From Thoppur, going towards Mettur-Bhavani I think you can save at most 30km, but in my opinion not worth unless you want to see the countryside or the mettur dam, etc., staying on NH7 is faster.
@NPV: then I will be taking the Thoppur Mettur Bhavani Route, certainly would prefer country side - last few tripe have been only on HWs this will be a good change.

Yet to make up my mind on the Palakkad onwards to Thrissure.
I am ready to take my chances on narrow but good roads rather than HW with pot holes... So inclined toward the root via Kullappully & Wadakanchery...

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 1st July 2011 at 21:18.
Old 1st July 2011, 22:12   #225
BHPian

Quote:
@NPV: then I will be taking the Thoppur Mettur Bhavani Route, certainly would prefer country side - last few tripe have been only on HWs this will be a good change.

Yet to make up my mind on the Palakkad onwards to Thrissure.
I am ready to take my chances on narrow but good roads rather than HW with pot holes... So inclined toward the root via Kullappully & Wadakanchery...
On the move in this route. I will update entire details later. For the time being:

Worst stretch:-Wadakancherry to pattikad. Fully damaged because of rain.

Trissur to Kochi- Absolutely fantastic.

Toppur- not worth the toll paid.

Last edited by rki2007 : 1st July 2011 at 22:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks