Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2007, 16:11   #61

Gudaloor - Nilambur

Hi,

Heared about Gudaloor - Nilambur Rd closed ? Any of you have updates on this ? Now which is the best route via Mysore to reach Perinthalmanna

Asif
Old 19th September 2007, 20:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

No idea about the state of the Gudalur-Nilambur road, but that would be the shortest way to get from Mysore to Perinthalmanna. But the roads approaching Gudalur are in a bad shape.

The best road at the moment would be to take the road via Gundulpet, Sultan's Battery, Kalpetta to Calicut (Kozhikode) and proceed via Malappuram to Perinthamanna. The Mysore-Calicut road is reported to be in a good condition.

The third option would be to drive to Coimbatore via Mysore (Chamarajnagar, Sathyamangalam) and Palakkad (Coimbatore-Palakkad road in very bad shape), Mannarkad to Perinthalmanna.

In conclusion, I would suggest that you go via Mysore, Gundulpet. Make enquiries at Gundulpet (with Kerala lorry drivers) about the state of the Nilambur road (which starts at Gudalur) - if you hear adverse reports, proceed via Calicut. Needless to say, the Gudalur-Nilambur route is the shortest and fastest. Distances are as follows:

Gudalur-Nadugani 11 kms, Edakkara 25, Nilambur 12, Edavanna 15, Manjeri 10, Pandikkad 5 (also direct road from Nilambur to Pandikkad, I have not travelled that way, have come only through Manjeri), Perinthalmanna 15
Old 19th September 2007, 20:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The third option would be to drive to Coimbatore via Mysore (Chamarajnagar, Sathyamangalam) and Palakkad (Coimbatore-Palakkad road in very bad shape), Mannarkad to Perinthalmanna.
No need to go to Palghat for this. The Silent Valley route should be in pretty good condition and would have less traffic. CBE-Agali-Silent Valley-Mannarkad - PTMNA.
Old 19th September 2007, 20:56   #64
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I agree that is a shorter route and avoids the mess on NH47 between Coimbatore and Palakkad.

Steeroid, do you have the distance guide for the route via Agali? I have been only upto the Kerala border from Coimbatore, never been on the residual route till Mannarkad. Must be a very pretty route.
Old 24th September 2007, 10:41   #65

Thanks for all the updates.
Gudaloor - Nilambur rd is closed. last week my friend travelled he couldnt get thru that way. Another bad rd is palakkad to Trissur. Road is completly washed off in this area.

So if I am heading to Cochin, which route I should take - Nilambur to Thrissur - this is via ? or Perinthalmanna - Kuttippuram - Shornur - Thrissur.

From where can I enter the Silent Valley route, if I am going via Mysore.

Thanks
Asif
Old 24th September 2007, 11:07   #66

Gudaloor - Nilambur rd is closed. last week my friend travelled he couldnt get thru that way. Another bad rd is palakkad to Trissur. Road is completly washed off in this area.

So if I am heading to Cochin, which route I should take - Nilambur to Thrissur - this is via ? or Perinthalmanna - Kuttippuram - Shornur - Thrissur.

Thanks
Asif
Old 24th September 2007, 14:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Steeroid, do you have the distance guide for the route via Agali? I have been only upto the Kerala border from Coimbatore, never been on the residual route till Mannarkad. Must be a very pretty route.
Its about 78 kms to Mannarkad from CBE. From MNKD you go via PMNA to Trichur.
Old 25th September 2007, 11:12   #68
kph
BHPian

Bad Roads/ No roads

Last week when I drove to Kerala and goodness... I was literally amazed to see the condition of the roads in Gods own country. Valayar welcomes you with not potholes but real wells or pools all over. from there till angamali is the real "fun". I was confused- whether to cry or laugh.
Old 11th November 2007, 01:31   #69

planning a trip next month from BANGALORE to KERALA (with stops at Munnar, Thekkady and Kumarakom)

Can someone help me out with the route.

which comes first and what roads to take. will be a day drive (depart 10am) with family on an INNOVA.
Old 11th November 2007, 09:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Munnar: Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Perundurai-Gangayam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet-Chinnar-Maraiyoor-Munnar

Munnar-Thekkady: Munnar-Poopara-Nedumgandam-Kumili-Thekkady

Thekkady-Kumarakom: Thekkady-Kumili-Vandiperiyar-Peeremade-Mundakayam-Kottayam-Kumarakom

Kumarakom-Bangalore: Kumarakom-Chertala-Kochi/Ernakulam-Paravur-Kodungallur-Chavakkad-Kunnamkulam-Edapal-Calicut-Adivaram-Vythiri-Kalpetta-Sultan's Battery-Gundulpet-Mysore-Bangalore

You can do Bangalore-Munnar in a day if you are very fast, with minimal halts. Road is bad between Krishnagiri and Toppur, but good otherwise. Departure at 100 am is too late, target 5-6 am for a good day's drive

Munnar-Thekkady road is appaently not in very good condition, but you have no other choice, enjoy the Cardamom Hills, don't bother about the road.

From Kochi, take NH17 instead of NH47 to return to Bangalore via Calicut and Wynad.

Lots of dicusssions in this forum on the Bangalore-Mysore-Wynad-Calicut-Kochi roue, please check them out.

Can always PM you with distance and other route detail if you wish.
Old 11th November 2007, 09:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifpm View Post

Thanks
Asif
Gudalur-Nilambur road reopened a few weeks ago, but closed down again in the last fortnight's heavy rains - should be reopen again now. Cuts down distance to go from Mysore to Cochin significantly.
Old 13th November 2007, 16:37   #72
BHPian

During Oct/07 second week, we drove down half the way through Nadugani ghat section to realise that the road is still closed.

[I'm not sure whether it was opened and closed.]

The way it looked to me, it's not going to be up and running for some time. As such, roads are very bad all through Kerala.

The Nilambur route gives you ~490 KMs on your odometer, where as the Salem-Coimbatore route touches ~550 Kms.

We had to climb back and drive via Nadugani-Chundel-Lakkidi-Thamarassery-Calicut-Trichur. A hell (yes, real hell) of a drive.
Old 13th November 2007, 22:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
During Oct/07 second week, we drove down half the way through Nadugani ghat section to realise that the road is still closed.

[I'm not sure whether it was opened and closed.]

The way it looked to me, it's not going to be up and running for some time. As such, roads are very bad all through Kerala.

The Nilambur route gives you ~490 KMs on your odometer, where as the Salem-Coimbatore route touches ~550 Kms.

We had to climb back and drive via Nadugani-Chundel-Lakkidi-Thamarassery-Calicut-Trichur. A hell (yes, real hell) of a drive.
I am told that it had reopened for light vehicles for some days before teh heavy rains last fortnight closed it down again!!! I guess the Lakkidi route was also bad.
Old 11th February 2008, 15:05   #74
BHPian

Just wanted to know if anybody has been through the bangalore-salem-coimbatore-palghat-kochi route recently, and if so exactly how many kms of bad roads there are . . The last person to have gone that way is kavu75, and that was the last week of december. Any updates to that??
Old 12th March 2008, 09:41   #75
BHPian

I am headed to TVM (from BLR) on end-March. The usual route I take is BLR - Salem - Coimbatore - Trichur - Cochin - Alleppy - TVM. Would appreciate if some body can share the latest road condition in this route.

While returning, I intend to take the Nagercoil - BLR route (through TN). Can anybody throw some light on the exact route, distance and road condition pls. Thanks.

Most Viewed