Team-BHP - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/17333-bangalore-kochi-route-queries.html)

Could someone please post detailed directions on driving from Bangalore to Kochi (Ernakulam)?

What is the best route to take? And how long does it take (moderate speeds)?

Thanks

Bangalore- Hosur- Krishnagiri - wonderful highway - 120 km - 1 hr 20 min
Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - single lane, quite bumpy - 100 km - 2 hours
Dharmapuri - Salem - ditto except for a 30km stretch of highway entering Salem - 80 km 1 hours
Salem - Coimbatore - good, boring single lane road - 120 km - 2 hours
Coimbatoire - Palghat bypass - great road - highspeeds attainable except for odd bullock cart - 35 km - 20 min
Palghat - Trichur - 120 km - 2 hours - good single road - watch out for suicidal mallus (I am one but not suicidal)
Recommend lunch stop at walayar motel, kanjikode
Trichur - Cochin - 120 km ditto above but last 40 km is dual lane

If you leave at 6.00am, you can reach at 4.00pm without pushing it

Steeroid is a verteran and probably has more dope on this

Thank you, this is quite helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat
Steeroid is a verteran and probably has more dope on this

Thanks ajmat - the total distance to Cochin is 535-odd kms, but I see your breakup adds to more than that.

Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri is not 100 kms. Its a lot shorter - 40 is more like it.

Palghat - Trichur is slightly less than 80 kms.

Trichur - Cochin is about 78 kms.

8 hours for the journey if you push gently. 7 hours or slightly less if you push hard. Sundays are the best days to drive through.

Quote:

Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - single lane, quite bumpy - 100 km - 2 hours
This is 40km stretch. Dont cross 60kmph at any point of time. Dont get carried away by the smooth stretches in between. You can find a killer pothole suddenly....
It takes about 45min to 1 hour of slow and careful driving from Krishnagiri 2nd flyover to the dharmapuri junction.

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
8 hours for the journey if you push gently. 7 hours or slightly less if you push hard. Sundays are the best days to drive through.

I just wonder....if you push harderlol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by giri
What is the best route to take? And how long does it take (moderate speeds)?

The fastest route is the on mentioned by ajmat and steeroid. But if you are not really in a hurry, you can think of bangalore- Mysore- Sultan Battery- Calicut- Trichur-Kochi. This route is more entertaining in terms of variety of roads.
12 hours for the journey, with sight seeing.
Take it only if you plan to start early morning.

Quote:

Thanks ajmat - the total distance to Cochin is 535-odd kms, but I see your breakup adds to more than that.

Methinks I wronte what is felt like than what the distance actually was

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
I just wonder....if you push harder.

I wouldnt wonder - read Speedzak's signature.

Quote:

The fastest route is the on mentioned by ajmat and steeroid. But if you are not really in a hurry, you can think of bangalore- Mysore- Sultan Battery- Calicut- Trichur-Kochi. This route is more entertaining in terms of variety of roads.

Nice route, but the going gets really bad after Sultan's Battery because of high density traffic once you reach Kerala. WHenever you drive into Kerala, take the LAST possible point of entry. The roads in the state are good, but the traffic is heavy and the bus drivers are Yamrajs.

Hi Giri, ajmat has given the finest description..
This is my usual route to home in kerala.
I have a suggestion. Don’t go to selam directly from dharmapuri. Take a right deviation after dharmapuri, which goes to mettur and reaches bhavani in the Salem - Coimbatore strech.
Advantages:
1. You can save more than 20 Km.
2. The newly renovated road is very good with very less trafic, can avoid the rough highway construction area in the salem route.

And be very caredful about palakkad -trichur road. You will find unexpected ditches.
Be very careful at valayar to avoid getting jammed in the long Q in the check post. You can take the wrong side and avoid the same- it is -a kind of- allowed for private reg vehicles by the cops there.

Would suggest you take the Coimbatore route suggested by Steeroid since there are only a few bad patches as mentioned. The Sulthan Battery route via Calicut is pretty time consumin.Traffic is a lil' 2oo high on this route. Also places like kuttipuram in Malappuram district is a nightmare to drive through.

Quote:

I wouldnt wonder - read Speedzak's signature..

I got it...read mine

Frankly I am quite bored with the Coimbatore route. Especially 150 Kms stretch of Salem-Coimbatore. My plan these days is that I take Mysore route when going to Kerala, and take Coimbatore route on return.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kph
I have a suggestion. Don’t go to salem directly from dharmapuri. Take a right deviation after dharmapuri, which goes to mettur and reaches bhavani in the Salem - Coimbatore strech.
Advantages:
2. The newly renovated road is very good with very less trafic, can avoid the rough highway construction area in the salem route.

I would also suggest this as the new roads are quite ok and the traffc is much lesser. The place where you have to take the turn is called Thoppur. It arrives immediately after you finish a mini ghat section after Dharmapuri.

And always drive carefully. Speed is ok but careless driving is absolutely a no-no. Read my signature thrice before any journey!!! :D

Quote:

I got it...read mine

Frankly I am quite bored with the Coimbatore route. Especially 150 Kms stretch of Salem-Coimbatore. My plan these days is that I take Mysore route when going to Kerala, and take Coimbatore route on return.

If you dont mind taking a different route you can try Kanakpura - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore - Palghat, or better still Mysore-Gundlupet-Masinagudi-Ooty-Coimbatore-Palghat-Cochin.

I like the Gudalur-Nilambur-Shornur-Trichur route as well, but its very long winded and should be done ONLY if you're not in a hurry.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I think we should make some of these route maps as stickies, and have them updated whenever members have latest expereinces to post.

Are there any updated, reliable driving maps available?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kph
Hi Giri, ajmat has given the finest description..
This is my usual route to home in kerala.
I have a suggestion. Don’t go to selam directly from dharmapuri. Take a right deviation after dharmapuri, which goes to mettur and reaches bhavani in the Salem - Coimbatore strech.
Advantages:

And be very caredful about palakkad -trichur road. You will find unexpected ditches.
Be very careful at valayar to avoid getting jammed in the long Q in the check post. You can take the wrong side and avoid the same- it is -a kind of- allowed for private reg vehicles by the cops there.

I took this route last week driving down from Hyderabad to Palghat and Ooty... and I found this route to be really good. Was adviced against the Salem route cos of repairs....