Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2006, 22:56   #1
BHPian

I just bought a new Zx VTec today. I am planning a Delhi-Manali getaway this weekend. Is it ok to travel that far in a car this new? The round trip would clock 1000 kms - and it would be time for the first service - in just 3 days . The dealer says its allright to do so, and without any speed constraints. Please suggest with your opinions & advice !

Thanks !
Old 27th September 2006, 23:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Go ahead. Take it easy. Don't gun your engine on Delhi-Chandigarh highway. Leave Delhi early morning. Have a night halt at Mandi at Valley View..lousy decorated rooms but ok for one night. Leave Mandi early morning....take flyover after Kullu to go to the other side (Naggar) of the river....road is better there than main road.

Happy journey and motoring.
Old 27th September 2006, 23:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Ensure you dont cross 60 kmph/2500 rpm at any time.
Old 27th September 2006, 23:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Precisely. Do I need to follow the speed limit until my first service?
I thought it should not be the case anymore with new cars. Or is it?
Old 27th September 2006, 23:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Are you sure you need to follow this?.My friend went on a long trip (round trip for 1500 kms) the very next day after he bought his NHC and he smoked the engine.There was no problem in the first service and the service Engg said no strict speed limit is required as the mordern day engines are not required this first 1000 kms smooth ride.

Till last week he clocked (i guess 6 months) around 21000 Kms and didn't have any problem .
Old 28th September 2006, 00:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thil
Are you sure you need to follow this?.My friend went on a long trip (round trip for 1500 kms) the very next day after he bought his NHC and he smoked the engine.There was no problem in the first service and the service Engg said no strict speed limit is required as the mordern day engines are not required this first 1000 kms smooth ride.

Till last week he clocked (i guess 6 months) around 21000 Kms and didn't have any problem .
Usually there are no problems but even in the case of modern engines the advisory is to not go above 70 kmph & also not to over-rev the engine for the first 1000 kms. If you want proof just open up the manual & search for Running-In.

If you are going on a hill route I would seriously recommend taking the car after its done atleas 1.5-2k. The engine if treated nicely does give better results in the long-term future. Not only fuel efiiciency wise but also power & reliability wise.
Old 28th September 2006, 00:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about all this fuss - I took delivery of my Accent and drove down 250-odd kms doing some pretty good speeds. Nothing happened to my engine, which went on to cover 48k trouble-free kms over the next 2 years.

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th September 2006 at 00:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks